You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Reckless_Banana

What T10 Destroyer would you guys most recommend for ranked play?

What T10 Destroyer would you guys most recommend for ranked play?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 1 only

• Shimakaze
    • Gearing
    • Khabarovsk
    • Grozovoi
    • Z-52
    • Yueyang

25 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
Players
4,833 posts
6,919 battles

Pretty sure "pick 1" doesn't work. Apart from you taking whichever you are bet in - any non-russian DD will do perfectly fine and you could even find niches where both russians fit in

Players
961 posts
4,972 battles

Voted Z-52 despite not having one myself. It is probably the most self sufficient and versatile/forgiving of the bunch. Close seconds are gearing and Yueyang. 

• Cool 3

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Almost all other than Khaba are viable as true DDs.

I lean towards the Z52 however it's HE performs poorly as it has a poor 1500 max shell damage. Has Hydro and fast reloading torps too. 

Some will say the Gearing has been power creeped but it's perfectly usable.

Yue Yang was excellent in CW but probably needs smoke for Ranked as you won't be able to trust your team...

Players
1,561 posts
13,440 battles

All T10 DD's will be viable in T10 ranked imo. Personally i would play Gearing and Z-52. Gearing is a great cap contester, great guns, good AA, great smoke and can reach targets far out with the 16.5km torps if needed.  

The Z-52 is imo the best cap contester with the smoke and hydro combo. Also very fast torp reload.  

It all comes down to which DD you are best in though. Play the one that is the best and most fun for you. 

Beta Tester
647 posts
6,792 battles

I'm leaning towards Z-52, however it is more based on her "fame", rather my own experience as I'm just about the finish the grind to get her by the time RANKED seasons starts.

I have Gearing but I'm no expert in that at all.

Unknown factor is how the Shima buff will impact its performance

also curious to see who significant the carriers will be especially higher ranks - will it be critical to get good AA builds?

I'm still undecided if I want to do RANKED with DD or BB? :)

Players
954 posts
5,653 battles
15 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Gearing is a great cap contester

Good luck against 146s hydro of Z52 and some radar cruisers to top it off

Players
2,160 posts

There's a strong case to be made for any of them, they all have advantages and some drawbacks.

Yueyang DW torps are not useful in cap contesting, but her guns are good and has excellent smokes, Radar is debatable in what is a pickup format.

Khaba is a relatively indifferent ship for cap contests, but well it's got other things going for it including durability and ludicrous guns.

Z52 Hydro and torp reloads and OK guns.

Gearing guns, AA and long range torps plus US smoke.

Grozevoi good guns, torpedoes, speed and AA.

Shima once the concealment is buffed could be good, until then it's likely to be more of a damage farmer due to loads of torps, but they reload slowly.

If I can face doing Ranked to the point where I play T10's I'll probably pick Z52 for its flexibilty or if there are lots of CV's then Gearing or Groz.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

I'd say Gearing, and Z-52 are the strongest ships. Yueyang isn't bad either. If there are many DDs, Khabarovsk can do well.

So naturally I'm picking Shimakaze if I'm playing.

• Cool 1

[XFS]
[XFS]
Players
182 posts
11,973 battles

No option for none so didn't vote , there IS enough moaning and groaning about ranked now  , L10 is going to make it a lot more, so will avoid  

Players
2,430 posts
15,503 battles
29 minutes ago, it3llig3nc3 said:

Unknown factor is how the Shima buff will impact its performance

All tier 10 DDs have a surface detection of 5.88km to 11.7km. Shima can't counter spot with hydro/radar or avoid incoming BB rounds when spotted with a massive 690m turning circle.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
2 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

I'd say Gearing, and Z-52 are the strongest ships. Yueyang isn't bad either. If there are many DDs, Khabarovsk can do well.

So naturally I'm picking Shimakaze if I'm playing.

Was going to say Gearing takes huge BB damage but at T10 all DDs do. The amount of times in CW I've had 10k sliced off me by a sniping BB...

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,198 battles

Will probably not bother after getting the flag at R15, but if I am on a WOT hiatus at the time, Z52 is my pick.

Have some sinister thoughts about the Khabarovsk though, the damage potential it can inflict could be a "star saver".

Players
1,561 posts
13,440 battles
52 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

Good luck against 146s hydro of Z52 and some radar cruisers to top it off

Just pull away for 146 seconds and kill the Z52 after the hydro is down and smoke is gone. EZ

Players
954 posts
5,653 battles
40 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Just pull away for 146 seconds and kill the Z52 after the hydro is down and smoke is gone. EZ

GG EZ

• Funny 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles

First of all: anything that's not Khaba

With that out of the way, the question is: what will the typical match-up be?

If there are few Radar cruisers, the best might be Shima (best stealth) and Z-52 (Hydro). But if each match ends up having 2-3 Radars per side or more, then Gearing (team smoking and knifefighting ability) and Grozovoi (better long-range firepower) might prove superior. And then there's Yueyang - this one is tricky, her DW torps might be a problem but she might be worth trying. With that one there is one problem that hinders her a lot: at top Ranks you keep meeting the same people over and over again. This kinda neutralizes one huge (potential) advantage of YY: surprise buttsex Radar. You see, everybody expects Z-52 to Hydro, but people tend to smoke up readily against Yueyang that doesn't even have torps capable of sweeping a smokescreen. A YY that carries Radar instead of smoke can catch enemy DDs with their pants down (or rather: engine at 0) just as they think they're safe... But this won't really work when you see the same guy again in the next match.

Of course, you can switch consumables from time to time to keep them guessing, but...

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,101 posts
14,384 battles

Best tier X competitive destroyer? Minotaur, obviously.

• Funny 4

[NWP]
Players
1,889 posts
12,633 battles

Will prolly depend on the meta. But I highly doubt it'll be Khaba.

As a player who needs to choose: pick the one that suits your playstyle best. If after a few games you feel it doesn't fit the meta then switch to another one.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,362 posts
11,276 battles
1 hour ago, dasCKD said:

Best tier X competitive destroyer? Minotaur, obviously.

I don't know. She's nice, but there's something wrong with her. Seems to be eating a lot of damage from high caliber AP, even more so than other DDs :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

[KRAKN]
Players
45 posts
10,183 battles

ill main z52 because its the best shima counter especially with the new stealth buff it will get. spotting the 15 torps is also very nice bonus for the team.

ill also play gearing and grozo at the unfortunate games that ill die in the first 3 minutes and not  bother waiting for the match to end. well yea ill spam games tbh with z52 first choice when available.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles
3 hours ago, eliastion said:

I don't know. She's nice, but there's something wrong with her. Seems to be eating a lot of damage from high caliber AP, even more so than other DDs :cap_hmm:

I would not dare use a Mino. Cruisers can Devastating Strike you, let alone BBs lol 

[XTREM]
Players
30 posts
3,590 battles

Z52 I feel invincible in contesting points and team BBS love me when I kill the enemy shimakaze.

Players
1,106 posts
8,552 battles

I would like to think my Yeuyang would be best for me. Mine has a lower concealment than the Z-52 @ 5.8km, I cannot get my concealment on my Z-52 below 6.1km and with certain skills the torpedoes on my Yeuyang are pretty fast. I think the Yeuyang is a combi Fletcher/Gearing and DWT are not a hindrance when fighting other DD's and I have put down many Z-52's in her with guns alone. I can also have 7.5km radar if I surrender my smoke. Z-52 hydro is only 5.88km.... I think choices will be decided only by individual play styles and victory depends as much on the other players as your own skill.

Screenshot (973).png

Screenshot (974).png

• Cool 1