Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BJEagleDK

doubloon theft - autospending

93 comments in this topic

[C-F-C]
Weekend Tester
79 posts
10,435 battles

Just a hiccup from me:

Putting a check-mark  by default in Camouflage - Auto-Resupply - Resupply using in-game currency if unavailable is actually borderline illegal in my country. Some of that currency being automatically spent is doubloons which is purchased for real money. So what Wargaming is doing is to make "spending real money on (some) camouflages" the default setting, and not a conscious choice by the players. Tsk tsk :cap_wander:

Just like players actively need to select Auto-resupply, so should "resupply using in-game currency" be an active choice by the players by actively deciding to put a check-mark - especially for the camouflages that costs doubloons.

/end of rant

• Cool 10

[FJAKA]
Players
1,991 posts
11,817 battles
19 minutes ago, BJEagleDK said:

Just a hiccup from me:

Putting a check-mark  by default in Camouflage - Auto-Resupply - Resupply using in-game currency if unavailable is actually borderline illegal in my country. Some of that currency being automatically spent is doubloons which is purchased for real money. So what Wargaming is doing is to make "spending real money on (some) camouflages" the default setting, and not a conscious choice by the players. Tsk tsk :cap_wander:

Just like players actively need to select Auto-resupply, so should "resupply using in-game currency" be an active choice by the players by actively deciding to put a check-mark - especially for the camouflages that costs doubloons.

/end of rant

it is same as it is in WOT, WOWP.....

Players
961 posts
4,960 battles

I hear ya and lost some this way as well, but then again paying just a little bit of attention prevents this from happening. A short warming pop up would be appreciated though. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

It is pretty obvious that WG is speculating on nickle and diming people by being vague and confusing. There's no way around it. It's dishonest and petty. At least it has taught me what they're about.

On one side i love their game, but on the other side, the business model sucks. This is not how you gain my loyalty as a customer, WG.

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
15,947 posts
11,189 battles

Doubloons are not real money. They are an ingame currency.

When you buy Doubloons, you spend money. When you spend Doubloons, you do not spend more money.

The difference is important for legal matters. Therefore it is not borderline illegal in your country.

• Cool 4

[ADRIA]
Players
4,831 posts
6,919 battles
1 hour ago, BJEagleDK said:

actually borderline illegal in my country

Then don't play while living in that country

1 hour ago, BJEagleDK said:

not a conscious choice by the players.

The conscious choice part is that you don't untick it, leaving the resupply as it is

You not paying attention is not someone elses fault

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles

Honestly, the whole resupply design is kinda... questionable. Am I the only one who got confused initially by the term "In-game currency"? Can't silver be defined as in game currency as well? Why not clearly say "Doubloons"?

Yes, it's your responsibility to pay attention to this things, but making the whole resupply thing bit  clearer wouldn't hurt.

[CATS]
Players
15,947 posts
11,189 battles
2 minutes ago, Turin7 said:

Honestly, the whole resupply design is kinda... questionable. Am I the only one who got confused initially by the term "In-game currency"? Can't silver be defined as in game currency as well? Why not clearly say "Doubloons"?

Yes, it's your responsibility to pay attention to this things, but making the whole resupply thing bit  clearer wouldn't hurt.

Silver is a in-game currency. That does help you when camos cost Doubloons. 

Premium Consumables can be resupplied with silver.

Alpha Tester
1,839 posts
5,321 battles
11 minutes ago, Turin7 said:

Am I the only one who got confused initially by the term "In-game currency"? Can't silver be defined as in game currency as well? Why not clearly say "Doubloons"?

Because until recently, only "premium" consumables and some camouflages charged doubloons if you had that option selected (and were silly enough to not change the cost to silver). However, with the introduction of purchasable flags, which only can be bought with doubloons, the option applies to both currencies, depending on the item.

Honestly, when you set up your ship, just pay attention to the items you add and then activate the auto-resupply accordingly.

2 minutes ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

It is stupid thought that by default it is set to resuply with doubloons and not silver.

Indeed, but who in their right mind would use doubloons if that were the case? :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,960 battles
54 minutes ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Because until recently, only "premium" consumables and some camouflages charged doubloons if you had that option selected (and were silly enough to not change the cost to silver). However, with the introduction of purchasable flags, which only can be bought with doubloons, the option applies to both currencies, depending on the item.

Honestly, when you set up your ship, just pay attention to the items you add and then activate the auto-resupply accordingly.

Indeed, but who in their right mind would use doubloons if that were the case? :Smile_trollface:

Pls enlighten me on how to buy a type 59 camo with silver then -_-....

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,443 posts
6,517 battles
33 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Well there are camos that can be purchased with silver you know

Players
961 posts
4,960 battles
6 minutes ago, domen3 said:

Well there are camos that can be purchased with silver you know

And those can't be purchased with dubloons so. ..... irrelevant for discussion. 

Beta Tester
205 posts
961 battles
1 hour ago, Kartoffelmos said:

Don't disagree, just feel the whole system could be a lot more intuitive. 

[SM0KE]
Players
2,629 posts
6,474 battles

This practice happens in WOT, and it's just as dodgy there.

I view it a low-level dishonesty on WG's part. It doesn't impact experienced players, as we all know better, but it's a pretty shabby way to treat newbies, who don't.

The simple fix would be to have a pop-up that appears the first few times a player goes near anything with the silver or doubloons/gold option (and can be permanently dismissed) to make the choice crystal clear. Basic customer service...

• Cool 3

[WTFNO]
Players
264 posts
5,076 battles
32 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

This practice happens in WOT, and it's just as dodgy there.

I view it a low-level dishonesty on WG's part. It doesn't impact experienced players, as we all know better, but it's a pretty shabby way to treat newbies, who don't.

The simple fix would be to have a pop-up that appears the first few times a player goes near anything with the silver or doubloons/gold option (and can be permanently dismissed) to make the choice crystal clear. Basic customer service...

This exactly.

As a new player who got caught this way, it felt really petty.

There are no good excuses for the vague label ('in game currency') and doubloons being the default option for upgrades, while virtually everyone will use silver instead (wont they ?).

A pity too, since I like the game and would gladly support it more.

• Cool 2

[NOCAP]
Players
1,519 posts
15,439 battles
3 hours ago, ImperialAdmiral said:

It is stupid thought that by default it is set to resuply with doubloons and not silver.

Hey, it makes them 1k € per year. :Smile_coin: That's totally worth it to piss off thousands of customers.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester
1,839 posts
5,321 battles
3 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

That would fall under the aforementioned:

4 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

some camouflages charged doubloons if you had that option selected

The issue seems that the option applies to both doubloon and silver (as in, there is no distinction) when you resupply consumables/flags/camouflages which means that the user have to pay attention. A separate warning/option for using doubloons would be optimal, but that would effectively result in zero income for WG in this regard, thus making doubloon-spending on these items a superfluous feature. If you ask me, WG shouldn't have made flags/camouflages/consumables purchasable for doubloons in the client, but I guess some users find it more convenient to buy such things in-game.

Or rather, that would be the case if they could buy it in bulks instead of having it charged automatically...

2 hours ago, Turin7 said:

Don't disagree, just feel the whole system could be a lot more intuitive. 

I agree. Experienced players don't (or shouldn't) have any issues with the current setup, but it is far from ideal for new player since there is no information in-game that explains the resupply system.

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles
2 hours ago, Asakka said:

Reading is op

This is like a scammer justifying cheating people out of money with: "if they had paid attention, they wouldn't have fallen for it so it's their own fault". It's just a bad excuse for being a ****. Because the whole system is so clearly constructed to make those mistakes happen.

If somebody I'm a customer with goes "HAHA, you didn't read the fine print. Now you pay extra!" then I don't feel motivated to do business with them again.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

i agree. also lost some doubloons that way. i want option only resupply with credits.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,506 posts
15,414 battles
3 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

And those can't be purchased with dubloons so. ..... irrelevant for discussion. 

what is though is the camos that can.. I have prem camo on most of my ships as i have over 2000 of them.. but i always try to remember to turn of auto supply on any like the type 59 if i have them mounted.. at 250 dubloons a pop i don't want to buy any

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
1,623 posts
3,224 battles

Hi guys,

Thank you for raising this interesting topic. I will mention your concern higher. We will see, if something can be done about that :Smile_honoring:

But I can't promise anything.

EDIT: So a little explanation was provided to me. As I was trying to set Type 6 camo on one of my ships, I had auto resupply for in-game currency on, so I also thought, it is like that. But by default it is off, as I checked it on another of my ships. So when you mount a camo, that is for doubloons, automatically you are re-supplying that until there is none in your storage. If you switched on the option for in-game currency, you are aware of the fact, that it is for doubloons, as the price is written there. 

What also confused me a little is the fact, that in Public Test server it is actually switched on. 

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this