Sark74

Kagero Gun turret turn time boost?

7 comments in this topic

[THGZ]
Players
167 posts
3,590 battles

Hey all, 

Looking for a little slice of advice, I'm at the Kagero and having trouble. I know its a Torp ship, but the the Gun's are very underwhelming. They hit hard enough but its the 26.1 Turret turn time, 7.5 reload. When i come across another DD, i get trashed, i try my best to stay undetected but there's always someone with a hydro/radar to leave me exposed. When I'm trying to flee (at a whopping 35kts).. i rarely get shots off as my guns are always facing the wrong way, getting more shots off while fleeing might help deter them chasing me across the map. I know their job is to hunt me down, but once detected, i have little or no answer to a Gunship.  Would the captain skill "Expert Marksman" help? i currently have Adrenaline rush to help lower the reload times. Could switch them. 

Oh i have a 12 point captain, Preventative Maintenance, Adrenaline rush, Last stand, Superintendent, Concealment expert.   And i'm trying out Torpedo reload booster premium, 

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,742 battles

Kagero guns are bad and if you use skills to make them better, you end up with a DD that still has bad guns and is also bad at everything else.

I would take Survivability Expert as first 3pt skill on nearly every DD. It helps surviving gun duels or getting away before sinking.

And better use smoke. It can safe your life if you meet another DD or even worse, planes.

Kagero's strengths are best stealth and strong torpedos. Focus on them and ignore guns. Best is to not use them in most cases.

You may want to save the 2 points and get Radio Position Finding as soon as you reach 14 pts. You can avoid encounters with other DDs if you know from where they are coming.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

Take Expert Marksman instead of Adrenaline Rush, it's all you need. I ran a captain like that for the whole IJN DD line, just got Kagero and still working her out but you can definitely make the guns useful. The torps are so good in my opinion there is no need to min-max and make them better, more useful to plug a weakness. Thing with IJN DD guns is that any ship that is even close to your spotting range has awful shell arcs, and the ships that outright out-gun you all have awful concealment. You can really make e.g. a US DD regret his choices to fire on you if you kite away with speed boost. Here EM really helps keep guns on target while you wiggle and make his much faster firing, but slow shell guns useless. Also the reload booster is great for randoms. I used it on Shiratsuyu and using it on Kagero too. Basically the ship is so stealthy you can always disengage anyway, you don't need smoke to help yourself, so if you're feeling selfish those extra torp walls are well worth it in my opinion.

• Cool 1

[THGZ]
Players
167 posts
3,590 battles
5 hours ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Kagero guns are bad and if you use skills to make them better, you end up with a DD that still has bad guns and is also bad at everything else.

when you put it like that, you make a lot of sense!.. :) 

Cheers. 

Players
3,700 posts
7,338 battles
On 22/04/2018 at 12:42 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Kagero's actually pretty formidable if specced as a gunboat, you're not going to win a close quarters DPM battle with a Benson but if you can keep the distance the ballistics make it closer than you might expect, otherwise the DPM's comparable with Z-23/Ognevoi and only Kiev is going to beat you at all ranges and even then only if you can't use your stealth to your advantage.

• Cool 1

[PIKAS]
Beta Tester
1,538 posts
5,889 battles

dont shoot if you flee!

it will take even longer to reach stealth range......

You can use your guns in the endgame to finnish low HP DDs/CAs.

[POI--]
Players
4,313 posts
5,395 battles
On 4/22/2018 at 2:58 PM, VC381 said:

Thing with IJN DD guns is that any ship that is even close to your spotting range has awful shell arcs, and the ships that outright out-gun you all have awful concealment.

Except Harekaze, which outguns the Kagero, has pretty solid ballistics at short to medium ranges and the concealment to give Kagero a bad day. Yuugumo and buffed Shima obviously can be troublesome too.

And most often, you are not as much suffering from that enemy DD, as you are from the rest of the enemy team joining in on the fun. Turning away, popping speed boost, maybe even smoke and running towards your team usually should get you out of trouble and not firing your guns will keep your concealment at 5.4 km, not 9.4 km or so. If you really have to shoot pursuing foes, I'd say, just move your hull to get the guns back on target for every salvo. Even if you get BFT and AR kicks in, reload will be slow enough that you don't need to have the guns constantly on target.

Would then skill PT, LS, TAE, CE, SE, BFT, AR, PM, which improves the reload and apart from BFT are skills that also improve the torpedo boat strengths or general survivability.