Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zlaraki

Is Yamato still worth the grind?

35 comments in this topic

Players
160 posts
2,858 battles

I keep hearing this horrific stories about izumo, previous tiers aint in a good spot either. The only motivation to keep on going is the Yamato. That was before other BB got buffed. How is Yamato now compared to other BB? Is it still worth the grind?

Players
767 posts
8,208 battles

I have a friend who pretty regularly does 2k base XP, 200k games in it, so it seems viable.

Fuso to Amagi are good ships, but yes, the Izumo is an 'interesting' grind.

[DIKI]
Players
1,229 posts
299 battles
33 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

I keep hearing this horrific stories about izumo, previous tiers aint in a good spot either. The only motivation to keep on going is the Yamato. That was before other BB got buffed. How is Yamato now compared to other BB? Is it still worth the grind?

t7 nagato is very strong ship

t8 Amagi is great ship

t9 Izumo....well....i did not like him.....free exp :)

t10 Yamato is epic ship

so i would say IJN BB line is very nice grind with epic t10 ship only problem is t9 which is not that great....but still it is not bad ship

P.S.

if you did not like t 7 i t 8 which are very strong ships you could have problem even with yamato

• Cool 1

[3STG]
Players
328 posts
10,519 battles

If you are a sane person and like to keep your sanity, don't do it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[NWP]
Players
1,884 posts
12,596 battles
36 minutes ago, Zlaraki said:

I keep hearing this horrific stories about izumo, previous tiers aint in a good spot either. 

Wait what?

Amagi is amazing. The most fun BB I 

ever played.

Nagato and Fuso were fun as well.

Izumo is not bad, she's just different.

Theonly motivation to keep on going is the Yamato. That was before other BB got buffed. How is Yamato now compared to other BB? Is it still worth the grind?

Yamato is still strong. Just less forgiving  about rookie mistakes like bad angling/showing broadside

• Cool 4

[HABIT]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts

460 mm guns are always worth the grind.

The Yamato in her current state is the closest to what a BB should be. However, all that speaks for her so far are really only her guns (accuracy and overmatch). For everything else you may find as good, if not better, alternatives on tier 10.

Nagato and Amagi are not in a bad spot as far as I know. They should still be solid ships. The Izumo is indeed interesting. Not as bad as a lot of players make her but not the best either. However, as some say, you really should play the Izumo if you want to play Yamato because their playstyles rather similar to each other compared to their predecessors.

[HEATH]
Players
125 posts
12,354 battles

Only the sound of the guns, and worth the grind :). Izumo will teach u how to play Yamato, if u doing ok  in it, u will do great in Yamato. if u use free xp for Izumo, use just for upgrade the ship, not to skip it. 

• Funny 1

Players
4,360 posts
7,759 battles

Since introduction of RN and FR battleboats Yamato class is even more viable, as these two branches on their entirety lack reinforced deck/upper hull plating, thus 460mm shells overmatch them all day long. What Yamato doesn't do well is forgiving mistakes, as she is lone T10 battleship with exposed citadel. But that doesn't mean she can't withstand hilarious amount of abuse when positioned correctly, that is 13-15km away from enemy and angled just enough to use 3rd turret.

Players
588 posts
4,771 battles

I've got something like 115k avg damage in mine, my absolute favorite bb to play, and imo the most fun line to grind. Izumo I used to hate, but after playing it more (and getting both CE and FP) she is a very solid ship and great at preparing you for Yamato play.

I wouldn't mind if the citadel cheeks were made a little smaller though ...

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,037 posts
7,439 battles

Yama is demanding as always and the game around her has changed, but she is still worth it.

38 minutes ago, N00Boo7 said:

sound of the guns

I still want to get back Yama's gunsounds from early CBT when she had so distinctive gunsound that you could easily tell when she fired just by using ears. It was so distinctive roar when everyone else had rather lame sounds.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,198 battles
2 hours ago, Zlaraki said:

Amagi is at a very good spot actually, one of the strong tier 8 BBs ,as shown by top players using it in competitive.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,359 battles

Yamato is tricky to play since you can't get away like other BBs by showing your flat broadside and not being punished for it. Plus over angle her a bit and a good player in BB will still get your citadel under second turret.

Is she worth it? Yes, defo yes! The power of 460 mm guns is just amazing. Just stay with your team since she depends a lot on the team and never get yourself in crossfire or you'll go down, fast.

Beta Tester
241 posts
5,341 battles

If the Izumo just had at least some space with more then 32mm deck armor, she would be a very nice tank, without getting HEd/ burned down so quick. Yamato itself can suffer from being meta- maybe powercreeped. She is a one trick pony - the guns. Armor, AA, citadel protection, speed, secundarys, everything is better on other ships. You can punish, no doubt about that, but you are doomed without proper support on your flanks. There is a thin line between to passiv and to agressiv, aka to campy or beeing sunk to early.

Players
2,183 posts
3,836 battles
1 hour ago, WolfGewehr said:

Yama is demanding as always and the game around her has changed, but she is still worth it.

I still want to get back Yama's gunsounds from early CBT when she had so distinctive gunsound that you could easily tell when she fired just by using ears. It was so distinctive roar when everyone else had rather lame sounds.

As I know, Yamato still have unique gunsound. When you in battle and he is near and fire you know its him.

Maybe some day I get also Yamato, or even Musashi, dont know yet.

btw did WG change gunsound of Missouri? Before it sounded more like a cannon, now it seems like some metal sound, close to tank gunshot.

Players
588 posts
4,771 battles
49 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

As I know, Yamato still have unique gunsound. When you in battle and he is near and fire you know its him.

btw did WG change gunsound of Missouri? Before it sounded more like a cannon, now it seems like some metal sound, close to tank gunshot.

No, Missouri has always sounded the same.

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,037 posts
7,439 battles
25 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Not as distinctive as it used be. The fact the sounds on other ships have improved also lessens the difference/uniqueness Yama had with her sounds.

Well, I'm just again yearning for those old times :Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,675 posts
9,605 battles
1 hour ago, ISDdriver said:

She is a pony!

:cap_wander_2::Smile_hiding::cap_look:

I have reached out to you from  the depths of the saltmines for this one!:Smile_izmena::Smile_trollface:

medium.png

Indeed she is! Just look at those Beehive-Shells!

But yeah, just like for a lot of others one of my goals in the game. Do have a ready Izumo and could do my time grinding her but ..... I just dont want to.

At least if I one day got Yama, I will probably have some free perma camo for her.

Players
961 posts
4,960 battles

Yamato is just plain fun. Will never forget the moment when a Monti came in for the ram and I double citadelled the guy through the nose into oblivion. It is also fun to tell those cruiser guys that their angling doesn't save them. 

She requires planning ahead and good positioning or else she will go down soon (just yesterday a Kurfürst on my team devestated one from 90k to nothing in one salvo), but she rewards good aim with consistent high damage, which makes playing against angled campers muxh less frustrating. 

Players
2,183 posts
3,836 battles
1 hour ago, WolfGewehr said:

Not as distinctive as it used be. The fact the sounds on other ships have improved also lessens the difference/uniqueness Yama had with her sounds.

Well, I'm just again yearning for those old times :Smile-_tongue:

Dont know, to me it still sounds unique when he fires. Musashi share the same guns and armor so its expected to have two unique gunsound ships.

Maybe there will be some mods for this game (by Aslain, who knows) which enchant gunsounds of any ship to specific ones. In example to Montana sound like a Yamato guns.

Imagine low tier cruiser with the sound of Yamato guns.:Smile_trollface:

Beta Tester
237 posts
4,330 battles

I've just unlocked and I've had a really rough time in my first 12-15 games with her, except for one awesome 255k game which was still a loss. She seems to be a ship that really does not reward aggressive play and in my last couple of games I've been hanging back a bit and getting better results.  Yamato is very frustrating at times, a bad spawn and team than runs off and leaves you struggling to catch up can be catastrophic. That said you'll get a lot of laugh out load moments when you wreck someone's day from 18km.

So is she worth it? I'd say yes. She's an awkward ship to learn but Gitting Gud with her is a challenge I'm looking forward to.

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
404 posts
17,958 battles

When I was done with the Amagi grind I skipped the entire Izumo grind because I heard bad things about her. After being absolute crap in the Yamato for around 100 matches, I bought the Izumo. Man, I should never have wasted doubloons to skip her. The hull is crap, dont get me wrong. But the guns are fantastic! And the bad hull forced me to get better at positioning and therefore learned me to Yama better.

I prefer the Montana over Yamato, but its a close one. Yamato is still fun to play if you position yourself correctly and dont get focused by the CV. Survivability skills is recommended btw!

• Cool 2

Players
1,590 posts
11,128 battles

Yamato is awesome although the playstyle is very positional.

Izumo for me was a bit of a brat, but still a step up from the Amagi. piece of advice: Skip the A hull, consider getting range before anything else (stock range is atrocious)

Amagi works for many, but I hated it with a passion (same with Fuso). Shells all over the place, never hitting what I aimed at after the Godtier guns of Nagato.

Nagato: The God of tier 7.

Yamato = basically always do decent dmg to heavily angled targets so for me it is the best TX BB. It is awesome at breaking Monquerors too if you know where to aim.

Beta Tester
1,100 posts
8,542 battles
On 2018-04-20 at 8:19 AM, Zlaraki said:

I have to say no. Sure it has OP guns that oveematch every bow ans good torpbelt. But its sooo boring to play because you need to sit bow in parked all game not to eat massive Cits. Yama is my least played T10 BB.

Players
3,032 posts
7,148 battles
On 20-4-2018 at 9:40 AM, FishDogFoodShack said:

I've got something like 115k avg damage in mine, my absolute favorite bb to play, and imo the most fun line to grind. Izumo I used to hate, but after playing it more (and getting both CE and FP) she is a very solid ship and great at preparing you for Yamato play.

I wouldn't mind if the citadel cheeks were made a little smaller though ...

If one already has Musashi and has already played Yamato on PTS, what would be there to learn from playing Izumo?

I'm still at Nagato and looking forward to Amagi, but Izumo seems like an ugly and impractical ship to me :Smile_sceptic:

Sign in to follow this