17 comments in this topic

Players
104 posts
5,208 battles

I have observed long ago that Iowa is missing a ton of Oerlikon mounts, by the end of the War she had 19 quad Bofors mounts and 52 single Oerlikon mounts, however in the game once you hit C hull, she only has 32 dual Oerlikon mounts. I ask why? The Alabama has the exact number of 52 single Oerlikon mounts and they're great just the way they are, so why doesn't Iowa boast the same historically accurate loadout that the Alabama does?

Iowa is missing:

-2 Oerkilon mounts on her bow
-2 Oerlikon mounts directly fore of her foremost two Bofors mounts, just in front of Turret #1
-3 Oerlikon mounts on top of Turret #2
-2/2 Oerlikon mounts on each side, 1/1 just behind 5" guns 51 and 52 (her foremost dual 5" mounts) For those that do not know, on the NC-class, SoDak-class and the Iowa-class, their 10 5" mounts were 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 on her starboard and 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 on her port side, ie: 51, 52, 53, etc. the 5 indicating the caliber of the guns. And 1/1 Oerlikon mounts just fore of the two lateral Mark 37 gun directors on the two sides of the front funnel
-9 Oerlikon mounts just aft of her #3 Turret

Alabama's AA layout has been rendered in a historically accurate manner, Iowa's should be as well.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,194 posts
14,454 battles

If you want something resembling the historical loadout, mount the B hull.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

That is the B hull, based on the square bridge. Can't tell if it's C hull. I just got my C hull straight from A and didn't notice this, although the three 20mm are definitely still missing from No.2 turret.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

So are your screenshots a mix of A and B hull then? That's confusing. Anyway don't judge things by A hull most are artificially weakened. C hull gets the Bofors on turret 3 but as I said Oerlikons still missing on No.2.

Players
427 posts
3,826 battles

It seems that tech tree ships get strange layouts. their A hulls tend to be very weak, usually unhistorically so, then upgraded hulls stray from history as well. I believe that HMS King George V has some added pom-poms on its A hull, and a lot more on its B hull. Another example is the Edinburgh: The B hull has 6-barrelled Bofors mounts, which entered service post-war (Edinburgh was sunk too early to ever see these). 

Premium ships tend to be more historical in appearance, which is why the Alabama has its correct layout. Another example of this would be HMS Hood, which in game has the UP rocket launchers as well as the correct amount of pom-poms and those terrible Vickers quad .50cals. It would be nice to see some of the tech tree ships look more like they did, but they have to be balanced to fit their place in the line (imagine the North Carolina's A hull being historical for the first completed state...) and to fit the national flavour (i.e. secondary power, short range AA, long range AA etc.)

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

North Carolina's A hull is pretty historical, she has 4x quad 1.1" and no Bofors.

This Iowa thing makes no sense though. A dozen Oerlikons make the AA OP? If anything this looks to me more like post-war fit with some AA removed.

Players
427 posts
3,826 battles
8 minutes ago, VC381 said:

North Carolina's A hull is pretty historical, she has 4x quad 1.1" and no Bofors.

Doesn't the NC have about 10 quad Bofors mounts on its A hull? If this is the case I would guess it has a tonne of Oerlikons too, which weren't fitted until later. It's initial AA loadout (from a quick google search, at least) was: 4x quad 28mm "Chicago Pianos", and 12x Browning .50cals. However I don't think this layout would be very welcome in WoWs, as it would make the NC a bit of a sitting duck for enemy CV's. At least the long range AA is unchanged, but you wouldn't be able to inflict heavy losses on the enemy CV's squadrons, so they would be able to keep striking you over and over.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

Stock NC AA has no Bofors but no .50 cals either, Oerlikons instead. I haven't counted them but i think it's basically as Washington was at Savo Island. I haven't played it that recently but I'm not going mad, I remember being very happy at the time with having a correct early war ship complete with premium camo that changes based on hull upgrade (It's modified Measure 12 on the A hull).

Sorry! I completely missed the fact Iowa's Oerlikons are twins in game. Right, in that case the AA fit of the tech tree Iowa is either post-war or fictional, likely a mix of both. This was probably done to buff the close range AA for T9 since 32x2 is more than 52.

Players
427 posts
3,826 battles

Here is the stock NC hull:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.edd9670f619abc82a37c968544158e85.png

image.thumb.png.13e95ffb3e7be1f3958d89d612a71c9f.png

It definitely has Bofors mounts, and quite a few of them. Perhaps WG could add the Washington with an early-war hull layout, and put her as a T7 premium. Could be a good alternative to Colorado: less armour, more speed and firepower (but Colorado has a more punishing mid-range aura)

image.png

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles

OK, guess I'm really badly mis-remembering, unless they changed it recently or the premium camo changes the A-hull model to look early-war. I've kept the ship but unfortunately I'm not willing to spend 1.8m credits to re-buy the A-hull just to check this.

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
8,194 posts
14,454 battles

Pretty sure stock NC used to have Chicago Pianos, too.

NC AA was buffed a long time ago however. Maybe they changed the stock hull then as well.

• Cool 1

Players
104 posts
5,208 battles

Checked on Navsource, NC never had anything other than Oerlikons from the get go, no Brownings or Chicago Pianos and she only received her first Bofors mounts in the November of '42.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,836 posts
4,219 battles
28 minutes ago, Captain_Riley said:

Checked on Navsource, NC never had anything other than Oerlikons from the get go, no Brownings or Chicago Pianos and she only received her first Bofors mounts in the November of '42.

Bofors fitted in Nov '42 is correct, but how did you get the idea she never had quad 1.1"? Both NC and Washington were built with 4 sets of Chicago Pianos as was standard for large US Warships at the time. Admittedly most of the pictures are neither high res nor very clear, but you can see 4 large AA mounts of something that aren't Bofors (no distinctive 2x2 barrels) in the 1941 and early 1942 pictures. The aft one is clearer in this picture, the forward seems to be covered by a tarp.

0155008.jpg

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,467 posts
On 20/04/2018 at 2:39 PM, Centurion_1711 said:

Another example is the Edinburgh: The B hull has 6-barrelled Bofors mounts, which entered service post-war (Edinburgh was sunk too early to ever see these). 

Premium ships tend to be more historical in appearance, which is why the Alabama has its correct layout.

Official word (from years ago) is that tech tree ships represent the class as a whole. By contrast premiums are modelled exactly after the ship they're named for.

• Cool 1

Players
427 posts
3,826 battles
3 hours ago, StringWitch said:

Official word (from years ago) is that tech tree ships represent the class as a whole. By contrast premiums are modelled exactly after the ship they're named for.

That makes sense, that explains why most of the ships in tech trees are lead ships of their class (except the odd ones line Gneisenau, who was launched first but actually a Scharnhorst class)