You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

What is you latest "jinxed" new grinding ship and what do you do about it?

110 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,921 posts
8,281 battles

Hi all,

What is you latest "jinxed" new grinding ship and what do you do about it? :Smile_hiding:

For me it is the "Mahan"... I really have fun playing her and love the challenge but I simply can't win... no matter what I do... :Smile-angry:

aCiSZIh.jpg

HioyNTD.jpg

So... what do you do in such cases where you really like the ship and have fun playing but have extremely bad success rate?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Funny 1

Players
88 posts
4,376 battles

Is it a stock mahan or did you already upgraded it. It make a huge differences and last question, do you got a 10 skill point captain with councealment expert ?

You play mahan like your regular usn destroyer.

Contest cap, fight other dd, set fire on BB,  CA/CL and deny area with your 12 torpedoes at 9.2 km range and they reload pretty fast.

Stock mahan is horrible to play i know but once upgraded it is a fine ship. Check my stats i can t do a capture screen right now

• Cool 1

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

If I can't make a ship work, I search the net to see if there's anything I can improve. If there isn't, I stop playing it. The latest example of that would be the Izumo. It seems it's just not a very good ship. It's just a piece of **** that WG put there in order to get people to pay their way to the Yamato.

As for the Mahan. It's like most of the other USN DDs. Get concealed behind an island or in smoke, spam HE on everything except close broadside cruisers. Torp as needed for extra damage and area denial. Superintendent and premium smoke is mandatory.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,185 posts
10,155 battles

Edinburgh.

I could make the Fiji work, but the Edinburgh I simply can't.

• Cool 1

Players
401 posts
2,991 battles

HMS King George V seems to be jinxed for me. Played it on Ultimate Frontier and only won about 1 in 9 games, but this isn't too surprising given that most people that aren't in a division get a similar win rate. I got fed up of poor results in this mode, so played a few games on PvP. I don't think I've won a game yet, partially due to lemming trains for teams, but it just seems to be everyone's favourite target. Then they can show full broadside in any ship and take minimal damage, thanks to HE or the KGV's shocking AP. I've left it in port for that last week or two, clubbing seals in the Oct. Revolution, or having better games in the New Orleans, Edinburgh and Kiev. For some reason I can always rely on those ships (and occasionally even the Colorado serves me well), but the KGV seems to just be cursed at the moment...

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,152 posts
9,305 battles

I'd say Richelieu, but then I remembered that I find BB gameplay rather boring anyway, so I simply stopped grinding it and enjoy my cruisers and destroyers instead :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

Players
378 posts
4,605 battles
31 minutes ago, Miyamotosama said:

Is it a stock mahan or did you already upgraded it. It make a huge differences and last question, do you got a 10 skill point captain with councealment expert ?

You play mahan like your regular usn destroyer.

Contest cap, fight other dd, set fire on BB,  CA/CL and deny area with your 12 torpedoes at 9.2 km range and they reload pretty fast.

Stock mahan is horrible to play i know but once upgraded it is a fine ship. Check my stats i can t do a capture screen right now

120 seconds is hardly a fast torp reload :cap_tea:

It suffers from terrible concealment in tier. Tiers above and below have better concealment, even with CE.

I know your pain though. Worst concealment in tier, long torp reload, can only stealth torp once upgraded, not particularly fast, lowest fire chance, it goes on and on... The only gimmick it has is gun reload as quick as the quickest in tier and the longest duration smoke in the game.

[UNICS]
Players
2,853 posts
11,797 battles

I just looked through if I want to grind anything but came up short :Smile_sad:

Both the Kagero and Algerie seems to suit me pretty poorly. Shchors is super dull, not inclined to grind it or past. Maass is better, but not fun when you've played Gadjah.

Players
123 posts
3,141 battles

My Iowa has bad WR, no matter what I try- brawling, sniping, landing 13k volleys on DDs and so on. Still no luck.

As for your Mahan. Don't have it yet but played Nicholas. Spamming aggressive ships as much as possible from cover really felt helpful if not satisfying. I say helpful because you can potentially induce a lot of frustration, since they can't even see you. Sometimes they may detect you but still aren't able to lay a scratch on you because of your cover. Just don't stay in that place if they're fleeing. You can scout and cap. Push a little, pop smoke and spam on crippled or aggressive targets. My five cents.

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles
10 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Both the Kagero and Algerie seems to suit me pretty poorly. Shchors is super dull, not inclined to grind it or past. Maass is better, but not fun when you've played Gadjah.

I have the same problem with Algerie. It doesn't matter how i angle. I still get one or two shotted. It's also awkward to maneuver and has a slow fire rate. It feels like it's intended to be a flanker, but it doesn't feel like it's designed for anything but popping speed boost and going fast in a straight line. Just starting out though, so we'll see.

Players
88 posts
4,376 battles
Il y a 26 minutes, EgyptOverseer a dit :

120 seconds is hardly a fast torp reload :cap_tea:

It suffers from terrible concealment in tier. Tiers above and below have better concealment, even with CE.

I know your pain though. Worst concealment in tier, long torp reload, can only stealth torp once upgraded, not particularly fast, lowest fire chance, it goes on and on... The only gimmick it has is gun reload as quick as the quickest in tier and the longest duration smoke in the game.

And still some  are doing good in it.

it' s not a weak ship or a strong ship it's an ok ship and last time i checked stock mahan got 79 sec base reload speed with torp reload  with upgraded torp you got 78 sec 

ok.thumb.png.39e77b33266ae9cdf2a3b90690e47d8f.png

And since it's a T7 most of the time you will be top tier so most of these "weakness" aren't really important

Players
123 posts
3,141 battles
2 minutes ago, Tubit101 said:

I have the same problem with Algerie. It doesn't matter how i angle. I still get one or two shotted. It's also awkward to maneuver and has a slow fire rate. It feels like it's intended to be a flanker, but it doesn't feel like it's designed for anything but popping speed boost and going fast in a straight line. Just starting out though, so we'll see.

Stay at range, mate. Try to look at the sky for any incoming salvoes because BBs love you. You have to rely on dodging them, which it can handle smoothly. As for the guns, Algerie probably has the best performing AP at its tier, at least per salvo. It can dev strike T5 and even T6 CLs easily. Switch ammos often. Best cruiser killer at T7 imo. Cruisers should be your primary target, DDs come next.

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles
3 minutes ago, GeneralSavage said:

Stay at range, mate. Try to look at the sky for any incoming salvoes because BBs love you. You have to rely on dodging them, which it can handle smoothly. As for the guns, Algerie probably has the best performing AP at its tier, at least per salvo. It can dev strike T5 and even T6 CLs easily. Switch ammos often. Best cruiser killer at T7 imo. Cruisers should be your primary target, DDs come next.

Yeah, that seems to be the best course of action. I've just had a bad time with BB AP shells wrecking my boat. All it takes is a singly lucky shell to the stern and 80% of my hp is gone.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,663 posts
7,202 battles

Saint Louis (French T9 CL).

It drives me crazy ... I cant get it to work.

I loved the Martel ... but this ... this citadel magnet is so frustrating to play.

I will probably ditch concealment module and go double rudder.

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,830 battles

It has to be Midway for me. People keep calling it OP, but every game I've played with it, it was full of deff AA and really strong AA ships, and opponent teams would just cluster up at 1 (sometimes 2 spots) and I'm mostly unable to drop almost anything, I just hate the ship and cba to play it. Not to mention how many of those annoying AS Hakuryus have I met with it. Lexi still remains my favorite ship in that line.

[BGNAV]
Players
745 posts
14,100 battles

They are a lot...

Kiev

Kagero

Neptune(Alt)

Lexi

Midway(after the"buff")

Scharnhorst

Nagato

:Smile_facepalm:

Players
123 posts
3,141 battles
9 minutes ago, Tubit101 said:

Yeah, that seems to be the best course of action. I've just had a bad time with BB AP shells wrecking my boat. All it takes is a singly lucky shell to the stern and 80% of my hp is gone.

I feel you. Being a Russian cruiser player, I can assure you that it certainly needs some luck and practice to land hits (Its harder with Algerie because 8 shells) and avoid citadel hits. Just keep shooting, you'll eventually get used to leading targets appropriately. It's not that bad of a ship to give up/free xp.

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles

Definitely Monarch. I thought I'd like this super-stealthy battleship (loved the North Carolina) but Monarch seemed just horrible to me. Literally no accuracy, even without the mod. Skipped it after only 18 battles :Smile_hiding:.

I have enough grinded free experience and I just don't want to have to play ships that are unfun for me anymore.

[L4GG]
Players
1,421 posts
5,772 battles
16 ore fa, loppantorkel ha scritto:

???

Pensa.

Myoko

[UNICS]
Players
2,853 posts
11,797 battles
9 minutes ago, Butterdoll said:

Pensa.

Myoko

???

Just look at the names - Pensacola - not dull. Schchorhchs - ....

• Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Players
7,152 posts
9,305 battles
1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

Saint Louis (French T9 CL).

It drives me crazy ... I cant get it to work.

I loved the Martel ... but this ... this citadel magnet is so frustrating to play.

I will probably ditch concealment module and go double rudder.

How do you try to make it work?

During the first half the match french CAs are kiting monsters, then once the enemy ranks have been thinned sufficiently, they can switch to an aggressive role and push with their solid AP and torpedoes.

They are just as vulnerable to citadels from battleships as any other cruiser. What many people don't seem to realize is with the speedboost on, those ships have insane acceleration (and pretty damn good deceleration) so the trick to dodging shots isn't turning sharply but varying speed. If I have the enemy at a comfortable range, I typically just go half speed and when someone shoots at me, either go full ahead or full reverse ... throws most people's aim off pretty good.

I do recommend using the Steering Gears Mod.1 on every french cruiser (those rudders get disabled a LOT) except the HIV (hardly lose the rudder at all on that ship ... in fact I can't even remember when it happened the last time!).

• Cool 1

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles
1 hour ago, GeneralSavage said:

I feel you. Being a Russian cruiser player, I can assure you that it certainly needs some luck and practice to land hits (Its harder with Algerie because 8 shells) and avoid citadel hits. Just keep shooting, you'll eventually get used to leading targets appropriately. It's not that bad of a ship to give up/free xp.

I decided to use some of my free XP to get the hull upgrade. That will probably help a bit.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,463 posts
7,850 battles

I got past my two big hurdles just recently.

New Orleans is simply a bad ship, while Benson is just in a very awkward position always facing higher tier DDs and trying to make 9.2km torps work in a sea of radar.

Baltimore and Fletcher are god tier and I'm so happy that I have them now.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,150 posts
11,455 battles

Lion for me. 30 secs of reload combined with poor dispersion. Poor turret angles. Poor HP. Poor armor. Poor maneuverability. The super heal has not been the saving grace I thought it to be.

I was quite successful in her, but man I hated the ship.

Alpha Tester, Players
5,121 posts
1 hour ago, Troublemaker_CRO said:

was full of deff AA and really strong AA ships, and opponent teams

yeah had same problem in each midway game :) but u know as always carry hard lol