Fiery_Kathy

My short guide to "how to play Großer Kurfürst"

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles

Introduction

Hello!

It's been a while since I last wrote my general guide on how to play battleships -> Link
(Other guides -> How to play Yamato and How to play Montana)

So now I would like to start sharing my experiences and tips on how to play some specific battleships. 
Today I want to make a guide about the Großer Kurfürst which I will just name GK from now on because it's less annoying to write.

I'm making this guide with some tips gathered from [OP] and other players like @Runner357.

Gun Choice

GK has the option to switch between 2 sets of guns. 

While the 406mm guns give you a faster rate of fire they do often lack the penetration to hurt enemy battleships as much as the 420mm guns do. 

That being said, the 420's also do more damage/shell. 

This however is a personal preference and I do know people who play with the 406's and like them more. 

Captain's Skillbuild

Just like any ship the GK is just a piece of easy target practice without a good captain and with that a good captain skillbuild.

While there are a few ways to build the skills GK there is one build I definitely prefer over other builds.

GKBuild.thumb.PNG.a9e1b4ff967502f18647b25931342f2a.PNG

This build focusses heavily on survivability compared to f.e. a secondary build (a build that takes Manual Secondaries, Basic Fire Training and Advanced Fire Training) 
While the secondary build can be usefull in some occasions it generally lacks in flexibility. 
I take Preventive Maintenance to decrease the possibility of my main battery guns getting knocked out in a fight.
Expert Marksman gives the usefull bonus of being able to turn your guns faster + it offsets the penalty your guns get to turret rotation by taking the reload module. This is a skill I tend to take on all my BB's 

Adrenaline Rush is a skill that gets more usefull the more your ship gets damaged, making it so that taking a torpedo or two isn't the worst thing in the world anymore (still try to avoid it tho) 

Basics of Survivability and Fire Prevention serve the same goal of limiting fire damage your ship will take. GK is extremely big, even bigger than Yamato, and will be a very tasty target for cruiser HE spam.

Fires do a percentage based damage on your ship every second. If my calculus is allright this should be 0.3% of your HP/fire/second. This is 317 damage every single second on the GK for only one fire. 

Limiting this damage is extremely important in the GK if you want to keep tanking for your team. 

Super Intendent fits very nicely in this image as it will give you an extra charge for your repair party (and Hydroacoustic search!) which will greatly help your survivability. 

Concealment Expert is a bit of a controversial pick because the GK's detection will remain quite big, however I've found it usefull because it allows you to get a little bit closer before opening up,
and it does open up some ways to dissengage if things go south.

Ship Upgrades

MAM1.thumb.PNG.670227a92ecbdbd50ee6efe80eac5978.PNGDC1.thumb.PNG.76eb3dd062900a457755196bfac37ff0.PNGAS1.thumb.PNG.6667423b8a32bbc9ba54ab646758dffe.PNGSG1.thumb.PNG.f62f6bd9bdcfb06565532773b8d74115.PNGCM1.thumb.PNG.279c88959936f9b34be107c741684f2d.PNGMB3.thumb.PNG.8c19e4089743c02bfcc90e068b091f1a.PNG

Stearing Gears Mod 2 could be switched out for Damage Control System 2 which grants an even bigger reduction on fire and flooding duration, however, personally I like to keep my ships somewhat manoeuvrable so I tend to stick to the decrease in rudder shift. This makes turning to avoid torpedoes a lot less painfull. Some could argue that taking the Gun Fire Control System Modification 2 would be better than the Main Battery Modification 3 because the range on the GK is indeed quite lacking.

However I end up engaging targets at a shorter range so having that extra reload suits the GK better. You do not want to be sniping in this ship. 

General Playstyle

GK is a ship that benefits from a slightly more agressive playstyle than f.e. its tier X counterparts Yamato and Montana.

The biggest difference is that GK has acces to the German Hydroacoustic Search consumable which has a range of 5.88 km for ships and 4.02 km for torpedoes. 
This allows you to be more agressive in pushes because your hydro provides you with a lot of warning for incoming enemy torpedoes. While your size will hinder you in avoiding all, it will severely limit the total amount of torpedoes you might take.

This is even more important when fighting against Destroyers equipped with deepwater torpedoes, torpedoes that are extremely stealthy. 

The bow on the GK encourages an agressive playstyle even more since it's the only tier X BB that has 60mm of bow plating (marked in red by amazing paint skills)shot-18_04.18_17_14.38-0602.thumb.jpg.ecb06a7ca9ae38ef02f184e6bdac1d9e.jpg

keep in mind that the parts marked in blue are still only 32 mm of armour tho. 

Your 60mm makes you relatively resilient when bow on to enemy battleships and cruiser AP, however the superstructure of GK is one of your weak points. A good player will shoot for your superstructure and do lots of damage by penetrating that instead.

Furthermore your good citadel armour and turtleback shape* of your main armourbelt allow you to get away with some manoeuvres other battleships could only dream off. This however doesn't mean you can't be punished.
GK gets citadelled very rarely but it definitely does happen in certain occasions. And even if you don't get citadelled when giving your side to the enemy, your ship will take massive penetrating damage, 30K damage salvoes on a GK are not unheard off.

Your bad turret angles will lure you into temptation to show a lot of your side and that's why, when you are being focussed, it is better to keep your bow turned to the enemy and resist the temptation to kill yourself by showing broadside.

The GK isn't renowned for its accuracy but that doesn't mean it's super bad, when you are not being focussed and you can use all your guns they might suprise you with their accuracy. 

GK has a lot of HP for a tier X ship and when used correctly you can make that 105 800 hitpoint pool last a lot longer too. Don't forget to angle, use your heals, limit fires by pressing the damage control consumable at the right time (never press it for 1 fire) and, to add to that point, make sure you pick the premium consumables (22 500 credits), not taking these, especially damage control party 2 and repair party 2, will give you a very big disadvantage on the battlefield. 

Try to focus the enemy Battleships at the start of the game, your lack of stealth makes it hard to ambush cruisers. 
When the moment in the battle is there to be aggressive don't be afraid to push. A pushing GK with hydro running is a big pain to deal with for the enemy team. 
Just try to not overextend that much.

*turtleback armour is a shape of armour that will have the effect of giving you less citadels when you give broadside. 

Outro

That's basically it for this guide, if you have any other points I could add please do mention them in the comments, I will try to implement them if possible :) 
Have a nice day!

Kathy.

• Cool 10

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,962 posts
5,445 battles

Nice one :cap_like:

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles
5 hours ago, _DeathWing_ said:

Nice one :cap_like:

Thank you :)

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles

Slightly edited the guide.
In other news I also have a new guide on Montana
Link -> Click here

[DDOS]
Players
50 posts
1,363 battles

nice work, but i have but one question.   how is it that she can easyli be destroyed by a DDs mainguns, wait wait i have heard over and over that this is impossible but it happes all the time,  one hit to the nose and boom 50k gone,  i would very much like an explanation for that.and how to awoid it.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
1 hour ago, kenalb said:

nice work, but i have but one question.   how is it that she can easyli be destroyed by a DDs mainguns, wait wait i have heard over and over that this is impossible but it happes all the time,  one hit to the nose and boom 50k gone,  i would very much like an explanation for that.and how to awoid it.

That sounds like a detonation and it can happen to all ships. As for easily being destroyed, uh not really. It would take a lone DD minutes if you get unlucky with fire RNG to take down a Kurfurst from full HP.

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles
2 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

That sounds like a detonation and it can happen to all ships. As for easily being destroyed, uh not really. It would take a lone DD minutes if you get unlucky with fire RNG to take down a Kurfurst from full HP.

Ye a torpedo detonation would probably be it. 

[DDOS]
Players
50 posts
1,363 battles
57 minutes ago, Nishikino__Maki said:

Ye a torpedo detonation would probably be it. 

NO caouse that would make sence,  i wrote main guns and i mean main guns,  

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles
4 minutes ago, kenalb said:

NO caouse that would make sence,  i wrote main guns and i mean main guns,  

It could be possible if an AP shell hit your citadel although it is very unlikely, but possible. Using a detonation flag is the only counter to that. 

[DDOS]
Players
50 posts
1,363 battles
3 minutes ago, Nishikino__Maki said:

It could be possible if an AP shell hit your citadel although it is very unlikely, but possible. Using a detonation flag is the only counter to that. 

ok so it is possible, thought i was loosing it and BTW i allways use that flag

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles
Just now, kenalb said:

ok so it is possible, thought i was loosing it and BTW i allways use that flag

Id need a replay file to be 100% sure what happened. 

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles

Nice thanks 

A question about the german special commander build for GK . is this build viable ?

PT

EM JoAT

SI BOS

CE FP

Beta Tester
1,000 posts
3,670 battles
20 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

Nice thanks 

A question about the german special commander build for GK . is this build viable ?

PT

EM JoAT

SI BOS

CE FP

PT is in my opinion a stupid skill to pick because everyone will aim at you anyway, JOAT could be decent but I think its better on cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[WASP_]
Players
103 posts

Using the 420 and B hull and 14 point captain, only 7 games in her so far and to be honest I'm not enjoying it one bit. Of those 7 games I have only won 1 and I fear it's a portent of things to come. The gun dispersion is simply atrocious. I know the Germans suffer the most from this phenomenon but honestly it would leave you scratching your head at times. At the moment I'm fitted out for a secondary build as the captain was my Bismark one. But honestly thinking of trying to bolster the AA as I'm getting almost one shotted by CV's. I'm not expecting to dominate the battle every time I play, it's just the guns seem to be terribly unreliable due to the dispersion which makes one feel so helpless in such a large ship.