You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FlariuS

Did WG changed code for MM?

40 comments in this topic

[BUSHI]
Beta Tester
25 posts
9,587 battles

Through last week and a half, I have noticed that tier 10 games became more and more challenging. Not because of the ships or MM itself but because your team either goes one side and sits there or have kind of no brain at all. Before I never seen such problems. But a few days ago I have been told by streamers that  MM is fixed for YouTubers and they get preferential MM so that the odds most of the time in their favour I am thinking that someone made something with a code? As a programmer, I know it is possible and very easy to do. So did WG changed something in the code? It becomes irritating to play when MM puts you to carry most of the team...  And don't start telling me that I can't play. Check my stats first. I am not the best but I know the game and after the info about WG making it easy for Youtubers I now thinking WTF?

• Funny 5
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,550 posts
5,494 battles
3 minutes ago, FlariuS said:

But a few days ago I have been told by streamers that  MM is fixed for YouTubers and they get preferential MM so that the odds most of the time in their favour

Source of this info?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,232 posts
7,060 battles

Surely you can link us to the reliable source that WG changed the code to have youtubers get a better Matchmaking?

If you can't that is some serious tinfoil theory you got there, which is rather rare for players of your caliber.

Again are you sure WG is paying people to adjust the MM code now and then when a new rather popular youtuber plays WoWS?

P.S. I sense a serious case of confirmation bias but that could just be me... :cap_yes:

Edit says: Btw they are indeed about to change the code for MM just read the PTS patchnotes. https://worldofwarships.eu/de/news/public-test/PT074/

or watch this handy yt video that they posted on the protal:

https://worldofwarships.eu/de/news/common/dev-onnaire/

This should only affect the live server after the patch though. (most likely 26.04.)

[BUSHI]
Beta Tester
25 posts
9,587 battles

Well, I do not work for WG and I can't give you link except what I have been told. To say who it is out of the question. Do not want problems for them. But OFC WG will never make such a thing. It brings more people to game by showing how easy it is to play and from point of marketing it is just nonsesnse... LOls ... GIVE ME A BREAK. Something has been changed. 

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,374 posts
5,860 battles

Well, I do work for WG and I can assure you we have our hands full with making sure the MM works as intended without burdening ourselves with any special cases :cap_old: Not to mention it won't be too smart of us.

In fact, we have made some progress there as you can see in the Dev Diaries:

In any case: No, streamers and youtubers do not get preferential matchmaking (neither do we for that matter, just watch our regular streams :fish_boom:). They however tend to be above average players so they have the means to make lemonade when MM hands them lemons.

• Cool 5

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles
26 minutes ago, FlariuS said:

Well, I do not work for WG and I can't give you link except what I have been told. To say who it is out of the question. Do not want problems for them. But OFC WG will never make such a thing. It brings more people to game by showing how easy it is to play and from point of marketing it is just nonsesnse... LOls ... GIVE ME A BREAK. Something has been changed. 

I'm clearly a youtuber, seeing how my 13-victory streak from last couple of days just got broken by today's one defeat followed by two victories - obviously it's the special MM just for me :Smile_trollface:

And now that we've laughed a bit... you call yourself a programmer - shouldn't you be a little bit more resistant to tinfoil theories? I mean, it's the matter of optimization of effort and results, really...

Let me help you here.

OPTION 1:

WG actually employs people to actively seek out youtubers that show WoWs content. They expend resources on creating extra rules for MM that assess players' skill and create easier matches for people flagged as youtubers. Result? The beneficients of the system seem better than they are and post some of their more successful battles on youtube, making it look easy to have such great results. Downsides? Resources spent, of course, plus there are many people in the company that end up involved in what's essentially match rigging - the one thing that, if leaked with some compelling evidence - can actually strike a death blow to WoWs and all other WG titles, seriously hurting their in-game sales or even expoising them to lawsuits (since people pay them money under the assumption that all players are treated equally).

OPTION 2:

WG does nothing of the sorts. The youtubers that get popular are just really good players that post their best matches. Result? By posting hand-picked games, they seem (even) better than they are and make it look easy to have such great results. Downsides? NONE.

You see, the popular streamers will tend to just be great players that get results through application of actual skill - average or worse players won't get so popular usually (unless they're really entertaining in some other way). And specifically youtubers - well, these will be posting their best/most interesting matches hand-picked from many others so they don't even need to have overall great results! Not to mention the possibility of featuring other players' replays too (like Jingles). WG DOESN'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING TO MM TO REAP ALL THE BENEFITS OF RIGGING IT - and NOT rigging it is obviously cheaper than doing so and doesn't carry the inherent risk of being exposed by some whistleblower.

• Cool 5

[CATS]
Players
13,548 posts
10,358 battles
22 minutes ago, FlariuS said:

I have a fortune I need to move out of the country. When you help me you get 20% of the fortune.

To get things moving I need 5000 € from you, that you can send to my bank account. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

Still thinks WG should hand out free tinfoil hats for everyone when they sign up for an account

• Cool 2

[BUSHI]
Beta Tester
25 posts
9,587 battles

It is always nice to see WG groupies here.

16 minutes ago, Tuccy said:

No, streamers and youtubers do not get preferential matchmaking (neither do we for that matter, just watch our regular streams :fish_boom:). They however tend to be above average players so they have the means to make lemonade when MM hands them lemons.

Oh really? OK... As you say... Nothing about Flamu? No? Well did not expect that you would say it. Will not go further into it since you have your army of groupies here :) But please if you did changed something, adjust it. 

• Boring 2

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,374 posts
5,860 battles

Err... What exactly about Flamu? That he is above average player capable of doing the best from the cards he was dealt by MM? :Smile_hiding:

Once again, I can assure you that:

• Flamu does not get a preferential MM,
  • No other Youtber or streamer does,
  • WG staff also does not,
  • Nobody else does,
  • And there was no secret MM change.

Beta Tester
3,623 posts
6,487 battles
13 minutes ago, FlariuS said:

Nothing about Flamu?

What about him? Are you challenged to understand his sarcasm?

13 minutes ago, FlariuS said:

Will not go further into it since you have your army of groupies here :)

Sure... the "army of groupies" made you retreat, not the lack of any substancial... :cap_old:

seen dozen of times before...

typical conspiracy terrorist behaviour...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,662 posts
13,098 battles

Wait, in almost 9k battles you've never had problems with your team going full potato except for the past dozen days?

Yeah...

8KTtscB.png

• Funny 4

Quality Poster
2,917 posts
7,914 battles
28 minutes ago, FlariuS said:

Oh really? OK... As you say... Nothing about Flamu? No? Well did not expect that you would say it. Will not go further into it since you have your army of groupies here :) But please if you did changed something, adjust it. 

Just out of curiousity, what evidence that nothing has changed (contrary to your personal beliefs) would you accept? 

Or is there no evidence that can be brought forward that would change your mind?

• Cool 1

Players
88 posts
4,045 battles

Their is at least 1 or 2 new thread per week about this MM subject.

People need to stop to make them and seek for some help cause being paranoid like that make me think you smokin too much weed or else ...

• Cool 1

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

@Tuccy

while we are on topic of MM

• Moreover, the matchmaker takes into account the nation that every ship belongs to but nation-based distribution of ships between teams is done irrespective of their tiers. The matchmaker tries to make national representation on opposing teams as equal as possible. In doing so, it tries to place ships on teams by their tier, type and nation evenly but not strictly symmetrically. If the system always adhered to strict lineup symmetry, the time players would spend in the queue for a battle might exceed five minutes, and the teams would be sent into battle understaffed. 

For example:
One of the teams may have two Tier X battleships flag_Japan.pngnormal.pngX Yamato , one flag_USA.pngnormal.pngIX Iowa  and one flag_Germany.pngnormal.pngVIII Bismarck . The opposing team will strictly have two Tier X and one Tier IX battleships (e.g., two battleships—flag_USA.pngnormal.pngX Montana  and flag_Japan.pngnormal.pngIX Izumo ) but will not necessarily have a Tier VIII battleship. This example demonstrates that both teams have Japanese and U.S. ships. The place of the fourth battleship may be filled with, for example, a German cruiser flag_Germany.pngnormal.pngVIII Admiral Hipper  or flag_Germany.pngnormal.pngVIII Z-23 

cant you split those 2 yamatos and 2 montanas evenly in both teams? MM in those cases doesnt need to wait extra time to mirror match those ships if they are available. if there is more than 2 of same ships, match them evenly (or at least with +/-1 difference) in opposite teams. i am saying this mostly cause of a problem in ranked MM where even within same nations there are big differences in ship performances (loyang/hsienyang, chapayev/kutuzov) and i even had battles where enemy team had 3 chapayevs, while our team had 3 kutuzovs. and this gives enemy team big headstart just from MM.

• Cool 1

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
2 hours ago, Allied_Winter said:

Just out of curiousity, what evidence that nothing has changed (contrary to your personal beliefs) would you accept? 

Or is there no evidence that can be brought forward that would change your mind?

Actually, OP has the burden of proof since he claims that there are special rules for special people which were implemented during the last 10 days or so. So, he has to deliver evidence, not the other way around. :Smile_smile:

On a sidenote: That video is priceless. Gets me every time and if it weren't so sad, I'd be laughing the whole day. :Smile_hiding:

Btw: Why does it seem like everyone who complains about the MM like OP did is suddenly a programmer of some sort and knows how "easy" it is to make fixes/rigging/whatever, while at the same time something tells me to not even let them program an abacus?

Quality Poster
2,917 posts
7,914 battles
16 minutes ago, Tungstonid said:

Actually, OP has the burden of proof since he claims that there are special rules for special people which were implemented during the last 10 days or so. So, he has to deliver evidence, not the other way around. :Smile_smile:

Btw: Why does it seem like everyone who complains about the MM like OP did is suddenly a programmer of some sort and knows how "easy" it is to make fixes/rigging/whatever, while at the same time something tells me to not even let them program an abacus?

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct. But even though the burden of proof is with OP, he should have a clear defined rule about what constitutes as proof on his end (i.e. piece of source code...)

• Cool 1

Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
1 minute ago, Allied_Winter said:

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct. But even though the burden of proof is with OP, he should have a clear defined rule about what constitutes as proof on his end (i.e. piece of source code...)

I suspect OP will only approve of, and believe in, evidence that supports his view. Any other kind will probably be dismissed as "tampered with", manipulated with etc. etc. Hmm, or maybe we should just take his approach, like...

...I have it from a high-up source (that I cannot name for security reasons) that MM have NOT been changed. He showed me code (that I cannot share for reasons...)... and so on, that might work... U know conspiracy style :cap_cool:

Quality Poster
2,917 posts
7,914 battles
1 minute ago, Wildf1re said:

I suspect OP will only approve of, and believe in, evidence that supports his view. Any other kind will probably be dismissed as "tampered with", manipulated with etc. etc. Hmm, or maybe we should just take his approach, like...

...I have it from a high-up source (that I cannot name for security reasons) that MM have NOT been changed. He showed me code (that I cannot share for reasons...)... and so on, that might work... U know conspiracy style :cap_cool:

True, but in that case the discussion is over in less than five minutes.

To quote a great Astrophysicist: The conspiracy is the battlecry of the person with insufficient data to prove their points.

• Cool 1

Players
2,155 posts
13,905 battles
6 hours ago, FlariuS said:

... But a few days ago I have been told by streamers that  MM is fixed for YouTubers and they get preferential MM so that the odds most of the time in their favour I am thinking that someone made something with a code? ...

...but I know the game and after the info about WG making it easy for Youtubers I now thinking WTF?...

...It brings more people to game by showing how easy it is to play...

If WG goal is to alter MM so 'youtubers' game look noticeably easier, then it stands to reason, their win rates should be spiking hard.

Check their win rates.

[R-U]
Players
42 posts
2,968 battles

What I feel most frustrated about the current MM is that it gets worse the "better" ship you get. In t5-6 even tier 7 its very manageable playing vs +2 tiers. However in the tier 8. Good luck vs those t10 ships. Angled? Forget it, only thing you can do is run and pray. Wait they are even faster too lol. Like the game although and its still very fun. But... Yeah

ps: Just got my t8 ship and I'm probably "one" of those people why you guys loosing your t10 game haha

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,193 posts
10,981 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Aeliyah_Thord sagte:

What I feel most frustrated about the current MM is that it gets worse the "better" ship you get. In t5-6 even tier 7 its very manageable playing vs +2 tiers. However in the tier 8. Good luck vs those t10 ships. Angled? Forget it, only thing you can do is run and pray. Wait they are even faster too lol. Like the game although and its still very fun. But... Yeah

ps: Just got my t8 ship and I'm probably "one" of those people why you guys loosing your t10 game haha

The reason is your inexperience, nothing else. Playing T8 ships in T10 matches is possible, same as with other tiers.

• Cool 2

[R-U]
Players
42 posts
2,968 battles
31 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

The reason is your inexperience, nothing else. Playing T8 ships in T10 matches is possible, same as with other tiers.

You don't get deleted instantly in other tiers just saying.

Beta Tester
1,818 posts
2,546 battles
7 minutes ago, Aeliyah_Thord said:

You don't get deleted instantly in other tiers just saying.

Oh really? The things I could show you...