FrankvC_Jr

The Yorck....Why?

4 comments in this topic

[NKK2]
Players
984 posts
3,301 battles

Hello again English readers!!

Recently I have been thinking about the KMS CAs oddity; I’m talking about the Yorck aka Entwurf I/10. The thing that bugs me the most, is that I find her to be completely unnecessary. So you all may be  asking why, right guys? Well I have only one word to say: Blücher

Why WG chose to use a project instead of a real ship? Why instead of using a perfectly balanced and real cruiser, WeeGee chose a paper design? You could argue that no one could want to grind “2 Hippers” but so is (almost) the thing for Mogami and Ibuki (without the 155s i mean). Also with the new buffs, one is definitely better than the other and it could fit perfectly. 

And also if we get rid off the name York, she can eventually appear as her WW1 version or even the Ersatz Yorck class.

• Cool 1

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,319 battles
1 hour ago, FrankvC_Jr said:

Hello again English readers!!

Recently I have been thinking about the KMS CAs oddity; I’m talking about the Yorck aka Entwurf I/10. The thing that bugs me the most, is that I find her to be completely unnecessary. So you all may be  asking why, right guys? Well I have only one word to say: Blücher

Why WG chose to use a project instead of a real ship? Why instead of using a perfectly balanced and real cruiser, WeeGee chose a paper design? You could argue that no one could want to grind “2 Hippers” but so is (almost) the thing for Mogami and Ibuki (without the 155s i mean). Also with the new buffs, one is definitely better than the other and it could fit perfectly. 

And also if we get rid off the name York, she can eventually appear as her WW1 version or even the Ersatz Yorck class.

Yorck and Hipper are very much different from each other. I found that the Yorck was more or less an annoyance and a lesson to how to Hipper. When I got to the Hipper, it was love at first sight. They've done it with other lines also, but not with love : Izumo -> Yamato. I'ts kinda "have to" situation in there, much like Yorck -> Hipper.

Edit : The difference is ; Hipper works, Yorck does'nt.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,140 battles

I agree. While I like many what-if and project ships, Entwurf I/10 is very obscure, boring and unnecessary.

I think the German cruiser line was released too soon. If they had more experience with different setups e.g. existence of Graf Spee, Algerie and downtiered US cruisers we might have seen a real Panzerschiff at T7 or as you say Blucher. And some more realistic T9/10s like a P-project.

Although in that case it might have made more sense to just have Hipper as the T7 and use the incomplete Seydlitz at T8 as a better analogue to the Mogami-Ibuki situation.

• Cool 1

[TS1]
Players
454 posts
7,145 battles

I don't really care about which ships existed only on paper or which saw actual service. I like the Kebab for example.

The thing with the Yorck is that she's the oddball in the KM cruiser line. She has strong HE and weak AP, which is the opposite of the German specialty. I don't particularly mind that though; it gives more variety.

Sign in to follow this