Cyclops_

Best DD for this coming Ranked Battles.

22 comments in this topic

[OGHF]
Players
527 posts
10,073 battles

As per the title, what will be the best DD for the next T8 & T10 Ranked Battles??

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,195 posts
11,002 battles

Lo Yang and Z-52 because of their long-range hydro.

Other good choices:

Kidd for heal, long smoke and gun power

Harekaze for stealth

Yueyang with radar

Shimakaze for stealth (especially after the buff)

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,195 posts
11,002 battles

Might be a choice too with the big HP pool and best guns, but only one torpedo launcher and the BB-like turning circle are pretty big downsides.

Players
1,190 posts
3,434 battles

If we're going to go by the stats from the last ranked battles (which were also T8) then Loyang is the best, followed by Kidd, followed by Akizuki and then Harekaze.

At least that's up to R10, at which point I think it's up in the air. Have we ever had T10 ranked battles before?

If I had to place my bets, Z-52 for the long-range Hydro would be on top, then Gearing for the hybrid gunboat/torpboat, then Shimakaze for stealth torping. Khabarovsk and Yueyang are outliers, neither will be all that great for capping (this being your primary mission in ranked) but both could score rather large damage numbers.

Spoiler

As much as a Yueyang equipped with radar could be powerful if you get the help of other DDs to smoke you into the cap, there's always the risk of being the only DD on the team. Then Yueyang can't contest at all.

EDIT:

I forgot about Gorozovoi. I don't know enough about her to form an opinion.

Edited by Captain_LOZFFVII

[UNICS]
Players
2,781 posts
11,530 battles

YY will probably be perfectly fine with either radar or smoke. Being without smoke in a cv game will be a pain in the butt though.

Personally, I'd probably pick Benson ahead of Akizuki.

[POP]
Players
288 posts
7,138 battles

Asashio. You know where the BBs will be camping. Lob a few torps there and you will either win the game instantly or at least top the score when you lose.

• Funny 1

Players
1,190 posts
3,434 battles
1 hour ago, Altsak said:

Asashio. You know where the BBs will be camping. Lob a few torps there and you will either win the game instantly or at least top the score when you lose.

tenor.gif

At least we'll only have to put up with the Asashio trolls until we get to Rank 10.

[BGNAV]
Players
741 posts
13,827 battles

Grozovoi for AA  Guns Speeed
Z for ....... Hydro
YY Radar - perma smoke.....DWT...

...aaand shima because speed matters

Players
409 posts
7,059 battles

T8 I will play the Harekaze (not sure what hull to play, I want to use the 100mm guns but then I have to pick IFHE over RPF)

T10 I will play Z-52 (hydro to contest caps) or maybe shimakaze (spotting ).

Rank 1: I will only pay a single battle so it doesn't matter anyway.

[TS1]
Players
457 posts
7,152 battles

I kinda hope the T10 ranked meta will be very DD heavy. Since then I can use my Kebab well since she's the only T10 ship I have. She'd probably be a better ship for ranked if MM considered her a cruiser.

Players
1,190 posts
3,434 battles
6 hours ago, Raziel_Walker said:

T8 I will play the Harekaze (not sure what hull to play, I want to use the 100mm guns but then I have to pick IFHE over RPF)

I have an Akizuki/Harekaze B hull build that uses CE, RPF and IFHE. It's crazy, but it was all the right skills to get me to R6 last season.

Players
1,418 posts
10,027 battles
On 18/4/2018 at 6:48 PM, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I have an Akizuki/Harekaze B hull build that uses CE, RPF and IFHE. It's crazy, but it was all the right skills to get me to R6 last season.

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I pretty much look to do the same.

If the meta will be as DD focused as I expect, I will be looking to bring out the Radar Minotaur for the luls :Smile_playing:

In the end it will probably be the Z52 and Khabarovsk or Gearing that I play most (since i dont have YY yet)

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,962 posts
5,443 battles

Kidd and Lo Yang for tier VIII

Z-52, Yueyang, Gearing for tier X

Players
1,190 posts
3,434 battles
On 19/04/2018 at 11:07 PM, GulvkluderGuld said:

Doesn't sound crazy to me, I pretty much look to do the same.

If the meta will be as DD focused as I expect, I will be looking to bring out the Radar Minotaur for the luls :Smile_playing:

In the end it will probably be the Z52 and Khabarovsk or Gearing that I play most (since i dont have YY yet)

I already use Maximum Meme-o-taur in random battles. I have much more fun running around radaring anything that spots me and dodging those citadel-seeking missiles that get lobbed at me in return. In fact, Radar Mino has given me one of my most intense matches ever, one where I was one of the last two ships on my team - the other being a GZ Test that was obviously out of planes - I walked away from that one with a win, Kraken (6 kills), Confederate and Dreadnaught.

I only wish I could share the replay, but it was back in February so no luck.:Smile_sad:

Spoiler

Screenshots as proof:

shot-18_02.11_12_08.47-0526.thumb.jpg.ad40772fb897dca09e1d11a7800a6066.jpg

shot-18_02.11_12_08.52-0988.thumb.jpg.24ca1b8102da5537472d6961a0639016.jpg

shot-18_02.11_12_08.58-0569.thumb.jpg.5ad39ac182b5eef6b44399c90b1c0be5.jpg

Okay, so maybe that Yamato kill was kill securing, but I still did considerable damage to five other ships and another seventh to be eligible for confederate.

In terms of DDs to play at T10, I only have the one - Shimakaze. I wish Harugumo was added to the game when the IJN gunboats were originally released, because then I'd be able to take her into this season's ranked.

• Cool 1

Players
432 posts

LoYang (VIII) with PM+AR+LS+SI+DE+RL+CE (=19 points capt.) + select torps type 533 mm mk31 (=6,7 kms range/122 secs reload/68 knots/16.633 dmg). got 4x smokes + 4x hydro's 5.4 kms.

I allways go uptill rank 10, no further. but since rank 10 can be locked as from next ranks (=new!) i think i will prefer to play around a bit with YueYang (X) and Shimakaze (X), Shima with my preferred Type F3/reload 100,2 secs/max. dmg 21.367/speed 76 knots/range 8.0 km torps.

Last, imo, playing above destroyers: DARE TO TAKE CREATIVE CALCULATED HIGH RISK ATTACKS(!)...this kind of playing is far more ENTERTAINING & FUN(!) and can bring you the best results. In short: try to be real unpredictable to the enemy ships, surprise them. succes all and most important: have FUN and ENJOY yr battles:cap_popcorn:

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,145 posts
5,899 battles
On 17.4.2018 at 4:12 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Lo Yang and Z-52 because of their long-range hydro.

Other good choices:

Kidd for heal, long smoke and gun power

Harekaze for stealth

Yueyang with radar

Shimakaze for stealth (especially after the buff)

Especially after the buff? Before buff Shima was a pick because of stealh? ^^'

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
On 4/18/2018 at 11:46 AM, Raziel_Walker said:

T10 I will play Z-52 (hydro to contest caps) or maybe shimakaze (spotting ).

Rank 1: I will only pay a single battle so it doesn't matter anyway.

If you don't take the 100 mm guns, is there a point to playing Harekaze over a Kagero? Sure, the Midway secondaries turn faster, but with that DPM and that health pool, I'd consider the Kagero with its better health and DPM and better torpedos to be just more viable.

Beta Tester
1,349 posts
On 27/04/2018 at 2:22 AM, Riselotte said:

If you don't take the 100 mm guns, is there a point to playing Harekaze over a Kagero? Sure, the Midway secondaries turn faster, but with that DPM and that health pool, I'd consider the Kagero with its better health and DPM and better torpedos to be just more viable.

5"/54 guns still provide some AA. It's not really enough, trading 1-for-3 over the advantages you've listed for Kagero, but can have its moments of escape from the floatplane mafia.

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
1 hour ago, StringWitch said:

5"/54 guns still provide some AA. It's not really enough, trading 1-for-3 over the advantages you've listed for Kagero, but can have its moments of escape from the floatplane mafia.

Top hull Kagero has 36.3 AA dps at 3.1 km (which about equals air detection range).

C-hull Harekaze has 33 AA dps at 5.2 km and 7 more at 3.1 km.

For this bit of AA range (and minimal decrease in dps), you get worse torps and 1.8k less hp. Also, less gun dpm. Worth it?

I know I can down floatplanes semi-reliably, but I have the 10 cm guns and BFT and ctrl-click the floatplane for about 97.3 AA dps. Even then, I rather avoid getting into aerial detection range if I can help it, because trusting RNG is basically only a good option if either there's no way I could escape anyway or I know I won't be fired upon while being lit up for firing my AA.

Beta Tester
1,349 posts
14 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Top hull Kagero has 36.3 AA dps at 3.1 km (which about equals air detection range).

C-hull Harekaze has 33 AA dps at 5.2 km and 7 more at 3.1 km.

For this bit of AA range (and minimal decrease in dps), you get worse torps and 1.8k less hp. Also, less gun dpm. Worth it?

I know I can down floatplanes semi-reliably, but I have the 10 cm guns and BFT and ctrl-click the floatplane for about 97.3 AA dps. Even then, I rather avoid getting into aerial detection range if I can help it, because trusting RNG is basically only a good option if either there's no way I could escape anyway or I know I won't be fired upon while being lit up for firing my AA.

I sometimes find myself in a position otherwise immediately safe (behind an island or having my smoke rushed and need to leave) but revealed by a plane flying over me multiple times. The extra range comes into play there for getting more rolls out of the RNG by hitting the plane for longer. Probably applies less to the ranked format than randoms, though.

Also just forgot Kagero has more medium AA; I was comparing with A hull Harekaze in my mind for some reason...

Edited by StringWitch

[POI--]
Players
3,181 posts
4,314 battles
2 hours ago, StringWitch said:

I sometimes find myself in a position otherwise immediately safe (behind an island or having my smoke rushed and need to leave) but revealed by a plane flying over me multiple times. The extra range comes into play there for getting more rolls out of the RNG by hitting the plane for longer. Probably applies less to the ranked format than randoms, though.

Also just forgot Kagero has more medium AA; I was comparing with A hull Harekaze in my mind for some reason...

Yes, but still, the amount of general utility you give up just to get that bit AA range...

How often will that AA range be useful vs how often will 3k more damage per torp, faster torp reload, more gun dpm and 1.8k hp be useful? One is very situational, the other are pretty much great whenever you try to play to the strengths of your ship, which you should. Indeed, maybe it could be an option if you use Harekaze as retraining ship, where you put up with an inferior Kagero, but for Ranked? Yeah, please no. Nor on my team anyway. Harekaze is a great ranked DD, but only in 4-10/B hull configuration, where it gets the gun dpm that is worth sacrificing hp and torpedo boat qualities for.