Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
darkstar73

Finally a US battleship with longer range secondaries

53 comments in this topic

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
579 posts
7,393 battles

Just saw this on FB. Massachusets will get stock 7.5km firing range. Then some other changes that looks interesting :) 

That is great new :) at least imo since i love close quarter fights :)

ST. American battleship Massachusetts, tier VIII.

Base firing range of secondary armaments is increased from 5.0 to 7.5 km.

Repair Party consumable's cooldown is decreased: 60 instead of 120 seconds for standard equipment and 40 seconds instead of 80 for premium.

Damage Control Party active time and cooldown are also tweaked: active for 30 seconds instead of 20, 180 seconds cooldown instead of 120 for standard equipment. 120 seconds cooldown instead of 80 for premium.

Sigma value is decreased from 1.9 to 1.7.

These changes increase the close combat priority for the battleship as well as her overall effectiveness, taking her gameplay further away from Alabama.

https://www.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/?hc_ref=ARTwxuG3vO1Eg7nIRE_cCR2794CrDWOju2WdIlh63-M077IjdgkwxNyVGk6Bp3vUcl4&fref=nf

Edited by Sehales
  • Cool 2

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
579 posts
7,393 battles

Damned. Can´t see the text. Please look in on FB. 

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
2,669 posts
9,762 battles

There's a great discussion on reddit about the ship. Lulz from top to bottom.

The problem with this setup is that the armor scheme and secondaries do not support a secondary build. American secondaries have a slow reload, low fire chance, and bad accuracy.

In addition showing too much side to utilize them all will put the ship into danger zone, as widening the angle means juicy AP pens and citadels galore.

Nice idea, won't work.

PS: The 1.7 sigma is a joke too.

Players
877 posts
11,126 battles

It's also interesting to follow the game's logic as the time goes. In the beginning, arguably there was at least the attempt for the rock-paper-scissors scheme, followed by a fair amount of nerfs, bringing the classes a bit more in line with each other. Then WG decided that "noone" is going to play different ships and lines if they don't have a flavour, so the national / class flavours were born. Shortly after, consumables started to run wild, in the name of the Holy Gimmick. Now we are at the point that even the gimmicks are starting to vary from ship to ship, so good luck with - for example - the captain training.

Again, completely subjective, but two things came to my mind after this news:

- WG is, as per usual (remember GZ?), does not seem to have a clear, comprehensive vision about where to lead the game in general

- ...and even less about how to sell the n+1. "generic american fast battleship".

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,613 posts
9,105 battles

Love the fact that its another middle finger to cruisers: Shorter €: heal /€ cool down, longer immunity time? Geee I wonder why battleships live longer than they should. In fact I have some remarks about the same issue and WG as a company on my mind again.

Bonus points: Now finally that shitty super container upgrade for the first slot has a reason to exist: 42 seconds of immunity to any damage efect: fire from he, fire from bombs, flooding form torps, flooding from air-torps, engine and rudder AND YET  the cooldown in total before the next use of the heal will still be shorter than on any normal other battleship/should have in compensation.

I can take 1 look at it and tell them its p2w and its BS, but it takes a whole team of WG devs to NOT figure that out.

2 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

Now we are at the point that even the gimmicks are starting to vary from ship to ship, so good luck with - for example - the captain training.

This is intentional and comes part of the p2w scheme: A new player can consider himself lucky if he meets a group of experienced players and thus gets a 10 pts captain out of ops instead of the 4-6 pts he would usually have.

A non-p2 player will consider anything 12-16 pts one of his highest trained captains - reserved for the most important ship.

Players using p2w? = Bítch please! I just have to choose between one of my 12 19-pts-captains for that ship!

Players
2,147 posts
3,836 battles
39 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

The problem with this setup is that the armor scheme and secondaries do not support a secondary build. American secondaries have a slow reload, low fire chance, and bad accuracy.

In addition showing too much side to utilize them all will put the ship into danger zone, as widening the angle means juicy AP pens and citadels galore.

Nice idea, won't work.

Even with manual secondarys?

This are the early stats. Im sure WG will tweak that before releasing the ship.

I doubt they will add NC secondarys with only longer range.

Eitherway, this will be a great $$$ deal for WG.

Players
2,357 posts
15,164 battles

I like it. Balancing sister ships around a different play style is something they should do with every famous class.

We don't want more lazy premiums like Missouri (Adding 'I win' consumables to a silver ship and nothing else)

21 minutes ago, havaduck said:

Love the fact that its another middle finger to cruisers: Shorter damage control cool down, longer immunity time?

It's to help the ship push in for short periods. Adding 30 seconds to dam con reload for an extra 10s work time is a cruiser buff overall.

[KAKE]
Players
639 posts
2,668 battles

Sounds a bit like the USS Bismarck, if you ask me.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,239 posts
7,932 battles

So, what's the advantage of GER BB again? ^^

Also: HE or AP secondaries?

[SCRUB]
Players
2,613 posts
9,105 battles

1 hour ago, creamgravy said:

It's to help the ship push in for short periods. Adding 30 seconds to dam con reload is a cruiser buff.

Except dam-con and heal go in tandem when it comes to fire damage. As I have layed out you can easily get 42 second with the upgrade immunity. Thats 42 seconds you cant set the ship on fire - ever. 42 seconds in which the healing consumable will be able to tick down to be ready again. Want to take a look at the wiki how long the cool down of a US BB premium heal at that tier is? (€: Just to clarify: The proposed value for this one is 40 seconds base - half of the usual!/€)  Of which you usually got 5? Which you can get down furthermore with skills and flags?

And that heal then heals multiple fires (~2) because there are countless ways to reduce fire duration, number, chance, buff the heal - but only 2 things that increase the base chance to  set a fire be a pitiful 4 % at best?

The best part is that this information isnt even telegraphed to the cruiser in any way. How does curiser gameplay work? You see a BB putting out fire(s) - means he is a priority target after his immunity has run out. At best now a cruiser will just see his fire not sticking time and time again. Ofc skilled playes will figure out this [p2w ship with better base immunity will also come with this module] in time but most of the time the cruiser will just stay out in the open to desperately try and get a sticking fire or two while getting shot to shít by the 5 given battleships/match. Yeah, that sounds indeed like a typical WG cruiser buff; I admit that wholeheartedly.

[KAKE]
Players
639 posts
2,668 battles
1 hour ago, havaduck said:

Love the fact that its another middle finger to cruisers: Shorter damage control cool down, longer immunity time?

Erm. It's longer immunity time, but also longer cooldown. Both duration and cooldown are increased by 50%.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,497 posts
6,358 battles

Slapping longer range on already bad secondaries doesn't make them good

Also 1.7 sigma with US dispersion is nothing more than a joke, basically you can compare that to german BB accuracy

Half cooldown on heal is nice for having heal active whenever you need it, and having R last for 30s would be pretty damn nice, but...

x1.5 LONGER R cooldown is just a no no. Full flooding lasts 60s, you have 120s cd with PREMIUM repair or 180s cd with the regular one. Even with the NF signal and HA  & JoaT cmdr skills (so everything that would reduce your Rs cooldown) you get that down to 97.s and 146.2s respectively - both still longer than you currently have normally

Despite it having those heals on such a short cooldown you'd be out of them in a few min (4 min 20s to use all 5 in a row back-to-back) and you'd just get melted by fire & flooding DoT that you could never really repair

Players
2,357 posts
15,164 battles

Would there be enough points for high alert though? A secondary build is very skill intensive, 108 seconds with Nov foxtrot and Jack of all trades is rough but probably good enough.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,641 posts
13,071 battles

High tier USN BBs are about stealth, AA and mid range accuracy. Their inherent playstyle makes their secondaries, which are notoriously bad anyway, redundant. 1.7 sigma on the other hand is going to hurt. A lot.

Maybe they're going to unshaft her secondaries, though. The equivalent of two Fletchers strapped to each side would be an extremely funny sight in combat.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,771 battles

While I love the Alabama, I don't think there's anything you could give it to compensate for getting 1.7 sigma.

Giving up effectiveness of the player controlled armament in return for improvements to the AI controlled one, doesn't sound fun.

Having more reliable access to repair is a good idea though, one which I very much enjoy on the Gascogne.

I understand that it's difficult to keep the ship different but not better than the Alabama, but I don't think they should go for the main gun accuracy as a trade for other perks.

Have it be a bit more sluggish in maneuvering or something like that.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,613 posts
9,105 battles
53 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Erm. It's longer immunity time, but also longer cooldown. Both duration and cooldown are increased by 50%.

True phrased it wrong up there, will fix. Its the repair party (still dubious: make that simply: "heal") with that ridiculous 40! seconds cool down, that got its value decreased.

40 (without skills/flag) seconds cool down on premium repair heal...... 42 seconds immunity. 

JZ8vSOf.jpg

You know whats sad?

The pic isnt even sarcastic ......

19 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

While I love the Alabama, I don't think there's anything you could give it to compensate for getting 1.7 sigma.

Giving up effectiveness of the player controlled armament in return for improvements to the AI controlled one, doesn't sound fun.

Having more reliable access to repair is a good idea though, one which I very much enjoy on the Gascogne.

Its called noobproofing. You want to make the boat rather indestructible even in the hand of the greatest potato. Meanwhile even the shittiest accuracy will grant random citadels to even the biggest noob. Thats the quintessence of WG-Gamedesign.

• Cool 2

Players
2,773 posts
15,233 battles
11 minut temu, Nechrom napisał:

NC clone with 1.7 sigma and buffed range of rather useless US secondaries, it's -1 tier ship like Mutsu.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,771 battles
4 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

NC clone with 1.7 sigma and buffed range of rather useless US secondaries, it's -1 tier material like Mutsu.

It's a South Dakota though, not a North Carolina. So the base stats are currently from the Alabama with a small twist (longer main gun range, more HP, worse AA, slightly worse concealment). But she still has the basic advantage of a South Dakota hull, so better turning circle than NC and much better TDS.

Saying that 1.7 sigma makes it tier 7 is ridiculous.

Mutsu (and Ashitaka) gets downtiered because they use the old A-hull 410mm AP shells which have worse penetration than the 356mm shells of the Kongo.

Players
2,773 posts
15,233 battles
2 minuty temu, Nechrom napisał:

It's a South Dakota though, not a North Carolina. So the base stats are currently from the Alabama with a small twist (longer main gun range, more HP, worse AA, slightly worse concealment). But she still has the basic advantage of a South Dakota hull, so better turning circle than NC and much better TDS.

Saying that 1.7 sigma makes it tier 7 is ridiculous.

Mutsu (and Ashitaka) gets downtiered because they use the old A-hull 410mm AP shells which have worse penetration than the 356mm shells of the Kongo.

I know that, but when many say that NC is overall better ship then Bama thanks to better sigma, then ship with even worse sigma looks like tier lower candidate.

Players
123 posts
3,115 battles

Perhaps a Gearing DPM will cope up with lack of decent fire chance and accuracy. 1.7 sigma means it most probably doesn't follow NC or Bama's playstyle. Kinda like a Bismarck with more punchy guns. WG being creative, eh?

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

Already know which commander to put on this ship. My 19 point Cleveland commander with IFHE, AFT and DE

• Cool 1

Players
111 posts
1,238 battles

Wooohu an American Tirpitz / Bismarck look a like..... Who am I kidding, of course there is no such thing:fish_boom:.

I am at very best, sceptical 'bout this boat. Should stick to supreme AA and nice torpedo bulges.  

[3STG]
Players
321 posts
9,308 battles
19 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Nice idea, won't work.

I'd say we should wait for it to get tested. At least Missouri's PD (not all ofc) is able to shoot straight forward, unlike the KM BBs.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this