Rusty_9

Ernst Gaede - L2P!

10 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Players
311 posts
1,475 battles

I've just recently researched the Gaede, and I need some help how to play her!

I believe a lot of her strength lies in capping because of the hydro... but I don't have the B hull yet (I did the torp upgrade first by mistake!).

My main struggle is in concealment - I was beginning to get into the swing of stealth torping (+ guns when the opportunity arose) with the T-22 with reasonable (for me) results and there wasn't much around that could out-spot me by any significant margin (even without a CE capt). Now... that's not so much the case! Add in a cruiser-like rudder shift and I'm a bit lost.

So, what is the best way to play her (with and without Hydro)? It feels like she has a decent health pool, so I'm wondering if I should be leaning much more on the guns? I think I'm going to keep the 128mm guns as they are more reliable against DD's (apparently). Should I be much more gung-ho and really push the caps (even w/o hydro at the moment) hard, fast and deep... or should I be much more passive-aggressive and flit around the edge(in and out!) of the cap, and aim to provide gun support for other DD's and give some flanking pressure too. Or something else entirely?

I'm conscious I have not been much support for my teams in the few battles I have played her (except my first one which was kind of flukey!!!) so apologies in advance if any of you guys have been lumped with me!

[CATS]
Players
13,582 posts
10,382 battles

CE helps a lot as always.

I prefer to use her as a torpboat and use the 150mm gun for surprise attacks.

Cap contesting works best when enemy is not supporting their DD.

If enemy DD have close support, you need a spotter, or you are sure the enemy ship has similar detection as yours.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
311 posts
1,475 battles

Thanks @ColonelPete

Checked out some more youtube vids and wiki (again!) and combined with your comments, am now thinking this is the direction to take.

150mm guns, AP on broadside cruisers and BB superstructure, HE on the rest

A close second-line support when advancing (unless confident opposition is favourable to a front-line spot)

A pretty strong 'staller' (slowing down a push on a flank)

Not to take the gun range upgrade - need to be able to recover stealth asap, and guns are likely to be used in situations where this is most necessary

Be patient, especially with guns - most real 'XP' gain will come in mid-late game even if your actual impact begins sooner (yeah, selfish outlook, but... I ALWAYS aim for the win so... :) )

I'm on a 9.25 pt captain so will get CE as soon as I can:cap_like:

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,329 battles

From what I've observed past hundred games, pls avoid the following :

Not using torps - I don't know, but seems like no one in Gaede is using their torps.

Broadsideing in smokes - IKD, but it seems more like a rule than an exception.

Broadsideing in smokes without the use of hydro - IKD, but it seems more like a rule than an exception.

YOLO rushing to cap, not using torps, hydro or smoke but only broadsideing - Yeah...

Pls tell me if there is something new added to the ship or changed, that prevents using torps, hydro or smoke, because when I grinded it, it all worked just fine.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
311 posts
1,475 battles

Hey @Paimentaja

Too true - I don't struggle with using torps.

About the rest - I don't have hydro yet, so do need care, but the turning radius is so poor, that when using smoke I kinda have to broadside - i tend to lay a long screen and then 'patrol' it's length a couple of times (using guns if I can) before bugging out (before it dissipates, and generally before the torps arive)

Is that OK, or should I change that? I use smoke sparingly because of it's low duration.

Am intending to try and 'sync' smoke usage with hydro though - when it comes.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
617 posts
5,635 battles

Following, but I've already got to Maass, so it's more about learning to gunboat and cap contest for me.

I really struggle with the cap contesting gunboat playstyle, hoping to pick up some tips. I think it's more the pressure of feeling like I have to get in the cap when I know my impact would be higher when torping and shooting from smoke when there's less concentrated threat.

[BYOB]
Players
2,686 posts
9,840 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

Is that OK, or should I change that? I use smoke sparingly because of it's low duration.

Moving in a smoke screen is always a good idea, being static and eating torps like a noob isn't. :Smile_trollface:

You can sync your hydro with smoke as a defensive tactic. You can also use both as an offensive tool by getting closer to a smoked up enemy, using hydro and smoke in tandem, and wrecking him while remaining safe.

13 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I really struggle with the cap contesting gunboat playstyle, hoping to pick up some tips. I think it's more the pressure of feeling like I have to get in the cap when I know my impact would be higher when torping and shooting from smoke when there's less concentrated threat.

Thanks to the hydro, German DDs are best when they enter a contested cap. Many players smoke up when in cap, especially when they are spotted. From there it's an easy job to hydro them and shoot them to death.

So try to slow your play at first and wait to see whether you can do good by entering a cap or by moving on towards better targets. Because a cruiser can take an empty cap too.

Also, Germans have fast reloads on their torps. With TAE you can have a 81s reload from T6 up. So you can drop torps into an "empty" cap, move on and have them ready when you get in range of juicier targets.

PS: Never ever torp a smoke screen which you are hydroing, and never hydro a smoke screen you have torped. You will waste a set of torps on a spooked ship running for the hills. Unless your hydro found a nest of roaches, and you won't miss.

• Cool 2

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,329 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

Hey @Paimentaja

Too true - I don't struggle with using torps.

About the rest - I don't have hydro yet, so do need care, but the turning radius is so poor, that when using smoke I kinda have to broadside - i tend to lay a long screen and then 'patrol' it's length a couple of times (using guns if I can) before bugging out (before it dissipates, and generally before the torps arive)

Well, when you are laying smoke in caps (and maybe in general) you also are "ordering" torps in them. If you stay there by your broadside out, it is very hard to dodge them. I've seen "enough" Gaede's (really, just Gaede's) doing it and exploding in 3min from the start. Just don't be one of them. If your teammates are not requiring smoke, don't use it. Save it for evasive manouvres when you are spotted/focused or have to leave a tight situation. That applies to all DDs. Gaede has hydro from B hull onwards so you can exploit the smokes even better, but remember, almost all smokes gets torpedoed eventually. Position yourself by turning your stern to the enemy (yes, stern) so if you have to leave quickly, you are able to do so.

Tips for hydro : IF you are using smoke in cap zone, position yourself accordingly first, then smoke, then hydro, in that order. By using smoke on your way in, you are giving up you position too early and torps may already be incoming when you try to position yourself and if there is radar ships around, they will radar you and that will end badly. If you postition yourself before it, you will be able to leave and survive.

If you know already that there is no radars in enemy team, you can use hydro to spot the enemy DD who may be contesting the cap. The trick is to lure the enemy ether open fire to you or use smokes; If you manage to get the enemy DD to use smoke, you can pop the hydro and sail right toward his smokes. DON'T open fire when doing this "manouvre" ; Other enemy ships may spot you. You should just try to lure him to open fire/use smoke to do this. Then his own smokes will provide cover for you and you can approach him with hydro on and eventually you will spot him with hydro, but he will not spot you (and most likely not his teammates). Eliminate the enemy DD and cap and win.:fish_viking: 

If you managed to get him to open fire, you can smoke yourself and pop the hydro (for incoming torps) because (hopefully) you had support with you who will spot the DD for you, because he opened fire. Eliminate the enemy DD and cap and win. :Smile_medal:

• Cool 2

[B4P]
Beta Tester
23 posts
4,153 battles

Gaede is rather a support DD. You should stay in medium distance ~7/9 kms from enemy ships. Never push alone because you are sooo big and fat that everyone could hit you. Gaede is like  Mercedes-Benz amongst rest of dds on VI tier.

You need to play smart, you have big amount of hp, good guns, hydro etc. 

• Cool 1

[T-N-T]
Players
1,718 posts
8,658 battles

Sorry for a bit of necroing, was just wondering (as I have a big trouble staying alive with Gaede) if a more standoffish playstyle coupled with AFT is worth a try. Obviously you first try to get caps/enemy DDs with the help of hydro. But after the DD is dealt with, I usually struggle with cruisers and BBs. Somehow my opponents have been very active with their rudders and speed, meaning all my torps tend to miss. And as smoke is very short, by charging me they eventually get to catch me (bad spot, bad manoeuvrability).

I'm thinking with AFT I could only get closer for torps, then run away and gunboat safely from a larger distance, perhaps even in open waters if needed.

Obvious negatives: 1)AFT is very costly on a DD (so many more skills you want to spend captain points on); 2) AFT lost completely on 150mm Gaede, Z-23.

(The 150mm gun is an altogether different puzzle to solve, but in theory it looks useful - same HE DPM, better HE pen, better firechance, bad AP DPM with much better pen, much flatter trajectory.)