You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Zymeth

First impression and need some help

42 comments in this topic

[XMAX]
Players
18 posts
844 battles

Hello everyone,

I am new to WoWs like 60+ games. (started from 0.7.3 patch)

1. Game is much more better than WoT and i rly like it. I feel it is more skill based :)

2. No more gold ammo

3. It is hard for me to discover my place... i know i dont like BB for sure.

I found JPN DD are very nice to play i like that camo and long range torpedo but what i hear later in the tree they are weak. I dont know how meta looks and what DD are good for competive battels. Now i have tier 4 JPN DD and tier 5 USA DD. What i dont like in USA is a short range of torpedo.

In JPN i see games like no gun attack just torpedo spam and hiding (i feeled more save gameplay). it is good but when i am detected is more like over ( ofc smoke is like save life). It is hard to hit from 7km torpedo - sometimes i need to be closer but i feel the ship will lose that feat.

In USA gameplay i need to be closer to send torpedo but ofc i have nice gun with nice DPM. Most of the time i am detected in USA faction i dont feel it is still a DD.

I think main role of DD is to spot and not be spoted (then torpedo should be number one)

Where should i go USA or JPN ? maybe other RUS/GER? What DD are good for ranked and clan battels ?

4. I feel CV are a littel OP and AA is weak... or i dont know what am i doing wrong.

5. Build order for capitan but i am not sure it will be ok or not.

- Preventive Maintenance

- Last Stand

- Superintendent

- Concealment Expert

- Torpedo Armament Expertise

- Adrenaline Rush

- Basic Firing Training (dont know if upgrade AA will help)

- Priority Target

6. When i was facing vs good player (6k battels) i couldnt hit them with torpedo from like 3-4km. They just dodged with no problems maybe i need more learing how to aim them.

7. There was one battel when i was USA DD vs RUS Crusier i couldnt run from him (cuz camo sucks) and chase him (he was sending torpedo and firing at me). Dont know what to do cuz he got better guns ...

Well i need some advice how to improve. I checked all DD ships and torpedo camo/vision dont know if it is rly important or not.

Sorry for my english :)

P.S in WoT my favorite tank was A-44 / object 416

• Cool 7

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,577 battles
26 minutes ago, Zymeth said:

Hello everyone,

I am new to WoWs like 60+ games. (started from 0.7.3 patch)

1. Game is much more better than WoT and i rly like it. I feel it is more skill based :)

2. No more gold ammo

I found JPN DD are very nice to play i like that camo and long range torpedo but what i hear later in the tree they are weak. I dont know how meta looks and what DD are good for competive battels. Now i have tier 4 JPN DD and tier 5 USA DD. What i dont like in USA is a short range of torpedo.

In JPN i see games like no gun attack just torpedo spam and hiding (i feeled more save gameplay). it is good but when i am detected is more like over ( ofc smoke is like save life). It is hard to hit from 7km torpedo - sometimes i need to be closer but i feel the ship will lose that feat.

In USA gameplay i need to be closer to send torpedo but ofc i have nice gun with nice DPM. Most of the time i am detected in USA faction i dont feel it is still a DD.

I think main role of DD is to spot and not be spoted (then torpedo should be number one)

Where should i go USA or JPN ? maybe other RUS/GER? What DD are good for ranked and clan battels ?

4. I feel CV are a littel OP and AA is weak... or i dont know what am i doing wrong.

- Preventive Maintenance

- Last Stand

- Superintendent

- Concealment Expert

- Adrenaline Rush

- Priority Target

6. When i was facing vs good player (6k battels) i couldnt hit them with torpedo from like 3-4km. They just dodged with no problems maybe i need more learing how to aim them.

7. There was one battel when i was USA DD vs RUS Crusier i couldnt run from him (cuz camo sucks) and chase him (he was sending torpedo and firing at me). Dont know what to do cuz he got better guns ...

Well i need some advice how to improve. I checked all DD ships and torpedo camo/vision dont know if it is rly important or not.

Every1 knows me as rude, especially to newbies.... but since you CLEARLY stated that WOWs is better...

Go priority target first, so you know how much persons are targeting you.

Last stand so when youface broken rudder and steering gear (impossible to turn), it will allow you to turn with some penalities.

Then go torpedo armament expertise -> i prefer this over supertendent in these days.

then concealment expert - to be more stealthy (must have for each dd)

then on your place i would go for radio position finding -> helps quite lot as you know general direction of nearest enemy, with little practice you will know exactly where they are.

As for playing ijn DDs... especially close combat  vs another dd:

Try to use one torpedo salvo, then wait him to dodge and then use another one (he will not be able to turn to both)

generally, try to avoid to torp dds because they can dodge it easier (unless they sit in smoke) try to go for battleships because they are slow and juicy targets for dds.

On low tiers, there is no much supporting AA ships but on higher tiers you will be able to have support from friendly cruisers and Carrier. On higher tiers usually carriers tend to understand game little bit more (but still dozen potatoes).

Also, you are primary target for enemy cruisers and destroyers. REMEMBER that. ALWAYS: they will hunt you, spam you, burn you, torp you. Remember this.
Japanese dds -> you are NOT supposed to encounter them (unless they are very low on hp or you are permanently spotted so then you can use guns no penalty)

But generally, try to contest caps (at start it is the hardest, if you get spotted you die because you die first)... but then you can switch to flank cruisers and battleships.

One more rule: NEVER EVER CHASE CARRIERS. Remember? This is amen. I won't even elaborate this one :D

Any more questions? Cheers

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
3,544 posts
7,443 battles

word of advice: If you english isnt fantastic (as yours, by your own admission, isn't), it's much better to ask one or a few question at a time, and try to keep them short. There are plenty of people on here that are willing to help a new player that is actually willing to learn, like you are - but you're not exactly making it easy to figure out what we can help you with :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
115 posts
1,241 battles

First of all, welcome onboard :)

26 minutes ago, Zymeth said:

found JPN DD are very nice to play i like that camo and long range torpedo but what i hear later in the tree they are weak. I dont know how meta looks and what DD are good for competive battels. Now i have tier 4 JPN DD and tier 5 USA DD. What i dont like in USA is a short range of torpedo.

Well they got very fast firing guns, believe me, you dont want to be engaged by USN destroyers, they eat IJN destroyers for breakfast

27 minutes ago, Zymeth said:

Well USN destroyers are weak lower tiers, but later on they get among the best ones, if not the best torpedos in game, with second longest range, speedy torpedos. So dont let the early on torps deceive you. Also USN destroyers are ambushers, that uses islands / cliffs to ambush unsuspecting targets with their dangerous torps at very close range.

German destroyers are very alround, they got good guns, good torps, somewhat good stealth, speedy at the start, but becomes somewhat sluggish late tier. But they also got hydroacoustics which helps them hunt enemy destroyers who seek shelter in smoke, believing themselves safe.

32 minutes ago, Zymeth said:

You need to pay attention to the planes if you sail battleships or cruisers, low tier carriers cant or at least shouldn't be able to hit a destroyer or very agile cruisers. Even battleships can dodge torps from planes with somewhat ease at tier 4 and 5, unless it IJN carrier who know how to cross drop :) 

What you fail to see, is carriers is potential high alphas, but very low dps, because planes will need to travel to intended target and home again for refueling - it's very time consuming.

35 minutes ago, Zymeth said:

Russian and Sovjet cruisers are amongst the most speedy in their class, though they tend to be a wee bit thinly armored. It's not surprising you get hammed to death with volley of HE fire from cruisers if you are spotted and alone.

DD are hunters, stalkers, gun slingers, they are all very different ships depending on nations. Most of them can spot and capture points, but you have to make up your mind what do you like to do. Otherwise guiding can a bit problematic since many minds tend to have different preferences and such :)

• Cool 1

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
612 posts
5,585 battles

This is a good newbie OP. In contrast with another on this page right now.

I'll try and offer my help (although others can and will do it better) when it's not 2am

• Cool 1

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles
2 hours ago, Zymeth said:

Where should i go USA or JPN ? maybe other RUS/GER? What DD are good for ranked and clan battels

My advice for a new players in regards to DD choice is to go for hybrid gunboat/torpedo lines, and those are: USA, Germans and Pan-Asians (note about Pan-Asian; their torpedoes can not hit destroyers).

Going for a Soviet pure gunboat is tough because you need good personal judgment on what to do during battle, as you simply can not easily contest objectives like stealthier DDs, but you still take DD slot on the team.

Going for IJN torpedo boat is nice for early tiers, but at higher tiers torpedoes are not reliable weapons due to longer reload times, planes and hydro spotting as well as much longer range engagements. They serve more as area denial, position and course enforcing asset with some extra damage added to those roles.

True for lower tiers yes. At higher tiers even some DDs (with proper captain skills and upgrades) can became solid AA ships.

Build order for capitan

This is my advice for basic build (used for aforemntioned USA, German and Pan-Asian, and quite decent for Japanese)

10 point captain:

1 - Preventive Meintnance / Priority Target (I prefer Preventive)

2 - Last stand

3 - Survivability Expert

4 - Concealment Expert

for 14 point :

4 - Radio Location

Well if he is chasing just fire torps at him, then smoke screen, and escape (you are faster). If he is escaping, well you have free reign then, capture objectives, gun down / spot enemy DDs, harass and torpedoe enemy Battleships.

• Cool 1

Players
2,155 posts
13,905 battles
5 hours ago, Zymeth said:

You will get many different opinions, so here is mine.

1 DD line - go Pan-Asia.  They have strong guns and hard hitting torpedoes.  Limitations are the torpedoes which can not hit other DDs, but that is a skill learned after lots of practice.

2. Work your way up to Shenyang and then stop.  Play 100-200 games in this ship.  Learn it.  Get good with it, until you are very comfortable in it, then if you want to, try another DD line and work it to Tier 4.  Learn the ship.

3. 10 point captain make a lot of difference. Don't go to tier 5 without one.

4.  My recommended 10 point captain skills.

Preventive Maintenance  

Last stand (Required) - "The ship remains able to move and maneuver while the engine or steering gears are incapacitated." A DD that can't move is a dead DD.

Survivability Expert (Highly Recommended) - "+350 of HP for each ship tier"  With DDs before you take most actions you have to weigh the cost, which generally comes in the amount of damage you will receive.  Hit points are life.

Concealment Expert (Required) - "-10% to detectability of destroyers"  You concealment value allows you to better control when and where an engagement will happen.

5.  CVs.  Countering CV is an art, and it begins before you see the first aircraft.  You can safety turn your AA off at lower levels, as it is too weak to do much. Watch the skies and see where they are sending their aircraft and should they becoming your direction... consider moving out of their path.  If they find you and then choose you as a target... maneuver.

I would strongly recommend you do not 'grind' low tier DDs.  Tiers 2-4 are protected, so this is where you should learn game mechanics and become very familiar with each lines play style.  Once you hit tiers +5 all bets are off.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,590 battles

Competitive battles are... well, I wouldn't really concern myself much with them when grinding your first line. As for the two lines you mention, however:

1. At high tiers (the really high) USN DDs don't suffer from short torps anymore. In fact, at tier 10 it's the Gearing that has the usable 16km torpedoes - Shimakaze in theory can mount 20km ones but they are awful

2. IJN torpedo-based DDs don't exactly become weak at high tiers - they become... tricky. You see, IJN torpedoes deal more damage and IJN ships at higher tiers can launch more of them, be it by having more launchers (Shimakaze with her 3x5) or by foregoing smoke in favor of Torpedo Reload Booster (a consumable giving you another full salvo of torps QUICKLY). The problem is that IJN torpedoes are more visible than USN ones - this, in turn, means that it's harder to set up a torpedo launch that will be successful because if you catch your target at comfortable (for the enemy) angle, the chances of them dodging everything are high. What's more, IJN torpboats are quite vulnerable to other DDs if they get caught with their pants down. This further increases the difficulty of setting up good attacks - since it's more risky. The result? Well, it's quite hard to find the golden spot between being too aggressive (you die) and too passive (you stay safe but you rarely score hits, don't contest caps enough and end up relatively useless). In good hands high tier IJN DDs are not weak - at least I personally don't feel my Shimakaze or Yugumo to be weak and my Shimakaze performance doesn't seem to be lagging behind. Unfortunately, they "provide" a bit of a "noob trap" by seemingly encouraging a playstyle they are poorly suited for. There are far too many supposedly experienced players who end up playing high tier IJN DDs very conservatively, not contributing much to objective control (since they are scared of meeting other nations' DDs) while spamming (if it can be called spamming with reload times torps have on high tiers) torps ineffectivley from the front, rarely hitting anything and even then - usually with just one torp.

- Preventive Maintenance

- Last Stand

- Superintendent

- Concealment Expert

- Adrenaline Rush

- Priority Target

My typical build order on DD captain would be

1. Priority target

2. Last stand

3. Torpedo Armament Expertise/Basic Firing Training you take the latter on gunboats but not for extra AA: it's to get more DPM from your main armament

4. Concealment Expert

This is the basic outline, then you start fine-tuning depending on what exaclty are the strong and weak points of the DD we're building for

- high tier DDs benefit a lot from Survivability Expert, the hp boost is substantial

- demolition expert gives a lot of value to small rapid-fire guns with low fire chance

- superintendent is very useful if you find yourself running out of consumables on regular basis

- adrenaline rush is an overall great skill, but it's extremely precious to knifefighters - DDs that expect to trade some hp at the very start of the battle, fighting enemy DDs

- jack of all trades can be useful on ships that rely on Torpedo Reload Booster (but usually there are more important things)

- vigilance can be worth it if you find yourself eating torps in your DD (but, again, usually there are other things you'll feel like having and you just won't have points for this)

- preventive maintenance is a nice addition if you find a point to spare, on DDs there are a lot of things that break easily

- Inertia Fuse High Explosive - I feel the need to mention this although most DDs won't benefit from this. Still, if the ship in question is Akizuki, you might consider taking it even before Concealment Expert

Frankly, the answer to that would usually be "ouch". If you find yourself too close to run away from a cruiser, unable to disappear by ceasing to shoot, without cover to duck behind, unable to hide in smoke AND too far from your allies to try and run, hoping that he won't dare follow... you're dead. Basically, what you describe is a result of previous mistake. Bad positioning can easily put a destroyer in a situation where they're pretty much dead. This seems like a scenario like this. Usually a DD really doesn't want to have a face-off against a cruiser. Some particular combinations/situations can be different, but as a general rule - it's best to always make sure you won't get caught by a cruiser in a situation where you won't be able to disengage, and fast.

CVs are destroyer's worst nightmare. There are some DDs that enjoy some tools to defend themselves well enough to be mostly left alone (things like high tier USN DDs and Grozovoi, mostly - good AA and special consumable that's a real pain in the stern for CVs), but - generally speaking - if you want to focus on DDs, you won't like to see that there are carriers in the match :Smile-_tongue:

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
5 hours ago, Hyperion84 said:

Well USN destroyers are weak lower tiers, but later on they get among the best ones, if not the best torpedos in game, with second longest range, speedy torpedos. So dont let the early on torps deceive you. Also USN destroyers are ambushers, that uses islands / cliffs to ambush unsuspecting targets with their dangerous torps at very close range.

*Laughs in Clemson*

USN DD's are not weak early on. Their torp range is not great, but they have sufficent range, large amounts of torps, good gunpower and great smokes. The rest is pretty accurate though.

Other than that welcome to the forums OP. It is a very welcome sight to see people owing up to their own lack of knowledge in order to become better:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,658 posts
13,081 battles
6 hours ago, Zymeth said:

Try all classes and see what fits. Though if you want to try CVs please note that low tier CVs are shafted, true CV play doesn't begin until T6.

Where should i go USA or JPN ? maybe other RUS/GER?

USN DDs ironically become much more powerful torpedo boats than IJN ones later on. I'd say stick with USN.

Russian DDs focus almost exclusively on guns, you basically play them as a hyper mobile squishy cruiser.

German DDs are kinda like USN ones except their gun power is weaker but their torpedoes can be fired from stealth much earlier (albeit have low alpha, compensated by a fast reload).

Welcome to the world of WG, where progression doesn't make sense.

Aside from a few exceptions AA doesn't become truly capable of denying strikes until high tier. However those exceptions and high tier AA ships become complete no fly zones that can deny a quarter of a smaller map and easily shred waves and waves upon planes on their own. Identify these ships and stick with them. If they aren't available stacking AA with a couple of other teammates can also easily deny strikes.

BUT in low tiers AA is practically non-existent, so it barely matters how much AA you stack with others. This is compensated by low tier CVs being incapable of alt attacks, having to use automatic drops instead which are notoriously easy to dodge. This is why true CV play doesn't begin until T6 where alt attacks are enabled.

As a general tip tho: Turn your bow towards torpedo planes as soon as they appear on the horizon. Don't wait until they've dropped, it'll be far too late then.

[TENGO]
Players
1,452 posts
8,132 battles
2 hours ago, ollonborre said:

USN DD's are not weak early on.

Indeed. I just redid the US DDs on NA. Unlike other lines (especially at t5) not a single one of them at any tier is a turd. The "weakest" might be the tier 7 when it gets uptiered because of its concealment.

2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

I'd say stick with USN.

I agree. USN DD's are imho a beginner's best choice for DDs by far. Stealthy enough, very good smoke, possibility to mount defAA starting at t5, stealth-torp capabel from t7 onwards, great guns.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,158 posts
9,924 battles

3. Although the guns' DPM is lower on IJN DDs than on USN DDs, don't be scared to use them anyway. Preferably you stay in stealth, but sometimes you just have to use them (e.g. if you're on 10k health and you encounter a DD on 2k health, use your guns to finish him). Some experience and situational awareness is required to make a good assessment of the situation (e.g. if you're not spotted and that low-health DD has multiple ships' support, it might be better to not fire your guns and seek a better / safer opportunity).

Also, if you get into a favourable fight (gun- and/or health-wise), please don't use your torpedoes :Smile_Default:

Players
115 posts
1,241 battles
3 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

BUT in low tiers AA is practically non-existent, so it barely matters how much AA you stack with others. This is compensated by low tier CVs being incapable of alt attacks, having to use automatic drops instead which are notoriously easy to dodge. This is why true CV play doesn't begin until T6 where alt attacks are enabled.

However skillful maneuvering and using catapult fight still will save your day. Besides auto dropping torps are easy to dodge if you are paying attention, I can dodge autodroped torps in my New York, no problemo - unless crossdroped, then I eat a torp a so. However should it hit my BB on the torp bulge, then no big issue there regarding damage. So yes AA are somewhat weak, but so are the planes and carriers have very few of them in store. Meaning if one shoot down a couple, well next time there probably wont be a full squad attacking :) 

Players
115 posts
1,241 battles
3 hours ago, ollonborre said:

*Laughs in Clemson*

USN DD's are not weak early on. Their torp range is not great, but they have sufficent range, large amounts of torps, good gunpower and great smokes. The rest is pretty accurate though.

Other than that welcome to the forums OP. It is a very welcome sight to see people owing up to their own lack of knowledge in order to become better:Smile_honoring:

Thanks mate, what I really wanted to say in that line was their torpedos was a bit weak, regarding range, however USN are fantastic gunboats that can and will other destroyers hate their life the moment they clash - unless the other captain is clearly superior in skills or RNG screws the knife-fight up (never know which or maybe both).

I loved my Clemson and Nicholas, but I have to admit my favorites still are the Soviet destroyer line, Podvoisky was fantastic, I really enjoyed the playstyle (running and gunning, setting BB on fire, so fun), so alike and yet very alien from the USN line. I have just unlocked the Gnevny and is eagerly looking forward to progressing.

Also I totally agree. Better to ask questions and learn then remain silent and nothing! A welcome sight indeed :)

[DONGS]
Players
383 posts
8,142 battles

Well knock me down with a wet kipper!  A post which makes a pleasant change to the recent 'WoWS is crap/rigged/offensive/I'm off' threads that have been the norm.  First of all @Zymeth welcome to the forums Captain :Smile_honoring:  I'm not as eloquent as some of these forumites, nor as skilled so I'll let them advise you, but for my 2d worth I'd say try everything before writing it off..... although in my case I wrote off CV play before trying it :Smile_hiding:.  Plus grinding one line is to me both a bore and a chore, I like to play a few different boats in a game session otherwise ZZZZzzzzzzz.

One last bit of advice, 'Right hand down a bit'

lesley.jpg.094adc907d74e4a103ba9a168b69e7dd.jpg

• Cool 1

[XMAX]
Players
18 posts
844 battles

Base camo of all DD [meters] (I made tabel for summary.)

Tier Pan-Asia JPN USA RUS GER
2 5400 5580 5940 5760 5400
3 5760 6120 6660 6120 6660
4 6480 6120 7020 6660 6300
5 6840 6200 6660 7740 6520
6 7020 7020 7560 7020 7560
7 7020 7380 7920 7740 7740
8 7380 6840 7380 7740 7920
9 7200 7020 7380 8600 7560
10 7420 7110* 7560 7620 7740

Value with underline means torpedo have short range and ship must be detected to fire them.

*Patch 0.7.4

Torpedo vision range [meters] only tier 10

X Pan-Asia JPN USA RUS GER
Vision 800 1700 1400 1300 1400
DMG 17900 23767 17900 14600 14400

JPN/PA most of the time can outspot any DD (If i spot enemy ship without be detected in competitive match its more like win for my team)

I feel USA torpedo are most balanced.

1. To be clear If someone detect me and i am launching torpedo then torpedo are spot from the beginning?

2. What is a point of DD like Khabarovsk?

I only see two options:

a) i am detected all the time only guns can save me (but then DD line is not to go in that case)

b) i am not detected best torpedo with camo wins

Summary:

I looked to all comments/posts here and yep i need to think more and more. Prob i will go USA line.

Players
958 posts
4,858 battles
4 hours ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

You will get many different opinions, so here is mine.

1 DD line - go Pan-Asia.  They have strong guns and hard hitting torpedoes.  Limitations are the torpedoes which can not hit other DDs, but that is a skill learned after lots of practice.

2. Work your way up to Shenyang and then stop.  Play 100-200 games in this ship.  Learn it.  Get good with it, until you are very comfortable in it, then if you want to, try another DD line and work it to Tier 4.  Learn the ship.

3. 10 point captain make a lot of difference. Don't go to tier 5 without one.

4.  My recommended 10 point captain skills.

Preventive Maintenance  

Last stand (Required) - "The ship remains able to move and maneuver while the engine or steering gears are incapacitated." A DD that can't move is a dead DD.

Survivability Expert (Highly Recommended) - "+350 of HP for each ship tier"  With DDs before you take most actions you have to weigh the cost, which generally comes in the amount of damage you will receive.  Hit points are life.

Concealment Expert (Required) - "-10% to detectability of destroyers"  You concealment value allows you to better control when and where an engagement will happen.

5.  CVs.  Countering CV is an art, and it begins before you see the first aircraft.  You can safety turn your AA off at lower levels, as it is too weak to do much. Watch the skies and see where they are sending their aircraft and should they becoming your direction... consider moving out of their path.  If they find you and then choose you as a target... maneuver.

I would strongly recommend you do not 'grind' low tier DDs.  Tiers 2-4 are protected, so this is where you should learn game mechanics and become very familiar with each lines play style.  Once you hit tiers +5 all bets are off.

1. Nope, go US. Pan Asian dds are nice, but a bit too specialized at higher tiers for beginners to enjoy. The US line has only one stinker at t7, has decent torps at higher tiers which can hit anything, good concealment, great guns and decent mobility. Can't go wrong there, just need to angle in your smoke when firing so you don't get torped. 

2. Nicholas, Clemson and Farragut are amazing, father some xp with those before moving on. This will also allow you to safe up some free xp so your suffering with Mahan will be shorter. 

3. Agreed

4. Agreed to 100%. You don't need priority target. Once you're spotted everyone and their mother will shoot you. Such is the dd life. Preventative maintenance will help you as your guns and torps won't be damaged as often, which can make all the difference in a knife fight. 

Last stand is mandatory.

Survivability expert is highly recommended as the first 3 point perk. It allows you to survive some torps that would otherwise kill you and provides you with an edge in a gun fight against players that don't have it. Torpedo armament expertise is the second I would recommend for us and ijn dds. Super Intendant is only useful for high tier pan asian dds running radar. Basic firing training is only viable on fletcher and Russian dds. Otherwise it is a no no. 

Concealment is a must, rpf is highly recommended. 

5. Again. Agreed. High tier cvs become much more dangerous, keep your aa turned off  (press p) as long as no plane spots you. 

Dd is very fun to play, but requires some foresight and good predictions which mostly is gained from experience. What would i do if I were the enemy? Do not trust your grey torp indicator too much, rather fire the first set one half of the indicator in front and the second half an indicator behind. This increases your chances to score hits (a third launcher allows for some shenanigans ;)).

Gl in your endeavours. 

[ONE2]
Players
2,301 posts
13,551 battles
35 minutes ago, Zymeth said:

JPN/PA most of the time can outspot any DD (If i spot enemy ship without be detected in competitive match its more like win for my team)

I feel USA torpedo are most balanced.

1. To be clear If someone detect me and i am launching torpedo then torpedo are spot from the beginning?

I only see two options:

a) i am detected all the time only guns can save me (but then DD line is not to go in that case)

Summary:

I looked to all comments/posts here and yep i need to think more and more. Prob i will go USA line.

Well, you are correct IJN DD's have the advantage in most cases, when it comes to concealment and torp range and effect. BUT USN DD's tend to be the best balanced overall, especially in high tiers. Then let's go to your points:

1) Nope, your torps (if IJN) will be spotted some 1,6-1,9km away BUT if the enemy spots you just when you are firing them it does not take a genius to guess what you were doing. So they will most likely start dodging already.
2)  Khabarovsk and most Russian DD's are pure gunboats, so they handle more like Light Cruisers, they are there purely to hunt down and kill other DD and harass larger ships by setting them on fire. Torpedoes are situational and very short range for the most part but they have the strongest guns and highest speed of all the DD's in the game so if they start chasing you, it will be nearly impossible to get away, unless you have a friendly Cruiser to run to so do not get caught by one by yourself, make sure backup is available, when you need it.

As for your options.

1) Guns, use them, if you have them but remember that every time you fire a gun, your detection range will expand from the 5,4km (for example) to your full main gun range of 10-12km and you will remain visible as long as you keep firing. If you want to go back to concealment (become invisible again) stop firing for 20 seconds and make sure no-one is withing your normal spotting range and you will become invisible again after that time. You can also use smoke to cut off contact and become invisible immediately.

2) Torps have no camos. But different torpedoes have different spotting ranges and reaction times. Below is a link to torp tables, check it out:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13s6LtFslxFF_p7P7Yu671zlur8Gwc1niAN03wJnDj6U/pubhtml?gid=1887314214&single=true

I hope this helps. Cheers! :cap_tea:

• Cool 1

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles
3 hours ago, Zymeth said:

No.

Its role is to trail stealthier DDs. When stealthier DD detects enemy, Khabarowsk will provide fire support similar to what Cruisers do. Khabarowsk can do this for longer time than Cruisers - it is more agile and what is more important its a DD and does not have a citadel (survives longer under fire)

I only see two options:

There is much more options:

c) how well does your ship handles fighting/denying objectives:

German ships with hydro (especially high tiers) are excellent as they can smoke, and still detect enemy DD while being completely safe from torpedoes

d) how well does your ship handle planes. Good long range AA makes Carrier pay for detecting you, having defensive fire consumable allows you to inflict casualties on fighter squadrons and prevents strikes, good smoke allows you to do objectives and good guns keep you relevant in combat:

USA and part of Russian DD has acces to defensive AA, while Pan-Asian have great smoke screen

d) how well your ship does agains Radar and Hydroaccoustic search as those abilities dont care about concealment at all:

Russian DD are mostly spotted all the time so they dont care, Pan-Asian are very flexible thanks to fast reload and big number of charges for their smoke screen.

Having at least decent guns makes you less dependant on torpedoes for damage in which case non Japanese destroyers (aside from Akizuki) are ok to excellent picks

e) how well does your ship goes along with other friendly Destroyers (especially while contesting objectives):

- agile short range dogfighter - USA

- detection support - German with Hydro, Pan-Asian with Radar (take note that this is rather unusual choice), Japanese (can outspot enemy DDs)

- fire support - Russian and Akizuki

- AA - ships with defensive AA like USA and some Russians

f) how well does your ship support capital ships:

- good smokescreen to help friendly Cruiser - USA and especially Pan-Asian

- AA - ships with defensive AA like USA and some Russians

- protecting fleet from torpedoes - well mostly being in front and fighting enemy DDs does this, but Germans have Hydro to help them a lot

Prob i will go USA line.

Good choice, but it is good to analyze if Pan-Asian line would fit your needs better.

[WOTN]
Quality Poster
2,023 posts
13,560 battles

Well after that last car crash I might as well unwind a bit.

15 hours ago, Zymeth said:

Hold on  a moment. It's probably a bit too early for you to start worrying about competitive especially considering the nuances. For now, just focus on the ships that you like. Now the problem with the Japanese destroyers isn't (just) that they get weaker at the higher tiers but that higher tiered ships plays by different rules entirely. In low tiered battles, people play predictably in maps that funnels them into small spots and your torpedoes reload in around 40 seconds to a minute whereas in the higher tiers torpedo reload can run you up to two minutes of downtime and the maps are wide and open which means that you will spend most of your time tailing enemy fleets. The playstyle of the destroyers at the lower tiers is completely divorced from the higher tiers. I guess what I'm saying is that it is too early in your WoWS career to start forming preferences. Just branch out a bit for now and don't worry about high tiered ships or competitive battles too much, the rules with those are just different to what you are used to. If you find you like torpedoes then you don't have to worry too much, just about every destroyer at the higher tiers are good torpedo boats in their own way.

As you progress up the tiers, the concealment differences becomes far less relevant unless you want to play heavy objective contestants like the Akizuki or the Germans. At tier X currently, most of the destroyers have concealment that varies by about 300-400 meters (apart from the Kebab, but we don't talk about the Kebab). At those tiers, they very much come into their own as destroyers and the concealment difference isn't felt nearly as much as in the lower tiers especially as you'll be meeting proper carriers and radar cruisers at those tiers. Like I said, the rules changes. Don't worry about it so much, just pick a few lines and work through them, it's never to late to change your mind. Right now, ships like the Clemson are basically tiny cruisers. A Clemson could take down a Kuma quite well even without torpedoes. At the higher tiers though, this doesn't work. A Gearing picking a fight with a Zao for example is pure suicide.

The destroyers that are good for ranked battles are the Germans and Americans usually. For clan battles the Yueyang and Z-52 are heavily favored though some people also make use of the Gearing.

In a destroyer, you will always have weak AA compared to cruisers or battleships. This is especially bad as in the upper tiers, carriers love picking on destroyers as they're XP and credit pinatas to skilled CV players. If you are going to play destroyers, carriers are unfortunately something you will always have to deal with. You could spec into it, but even ships like the Akizuki are vulnerable to carriers unless the carrier is really unskilled.

- Preventive Maintenance

- Last Stand

- Superintendent

- Concealment Expert

- Adrenaline Rush

- Priority Target

I would pick priority target before preventive maintenance, but you otherwise appear to have good instincts when it comes to captain skills. Just make sure to drop 8000 silver on the basic camouflage, it's a cheap price to pay considering the advantage it offers.

If someone sees you, it is usually reasonable to expect them to take evasive manuvers. You could lower the effectiveness of this by holding onto some torpedo tubes (i.e. launch a set at 4 km, then another at 2 km, then the last at point blank) as you close the distance or stack your torpedo fans to close the gaps between torpedoes. Generally speaking though, you want to avoid closed range torpedo brawls, that's more a cruiser and battleship thing than a destroyer thing.

Well, usually US destroyers will win in concealment. It might not in that particular case, but generally Russian destroyers have the worst concealment of any destroyer. As an American destroyer, you usually excel in DPM and turret turn speed so generally speaking it is best if you can ambush them at close ranges and cut their health pool to shreds before they can even turn their guns on you.

Well, good luck then.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
1,529 posts
4,969 battles

Welcome, OP!

One useful thing that was drawn to my attention (by a much wiser WOWS player) vis-a-vis visibility is the ability to deactivate AA guns (and secondaries, although that doesn't apply to DDs) by pressing the P key.

This matters (mainly to sneakier DDs) because when your AA guns fire, you can be spotted from much further away; if they aren't deactivated, they will fire automatically if any enemy plane gets within range, giving you away.

To determine when/if you want to do this:

1) Press and hold H in-game, and your ship's stats will pop up.

2) Find the distance from which you'll be spotted by aircraft (Air Detectability Range).

3) Find the range of your longest-ranged AA guns.

4) If your maximum AA range is less than your Air Detectability Range, you don't need to deactivate AA (you'll get seen by planes before you fire, so it makes no difference); if your Air Detectability Range is smaller than your max AA range, you will want to run with AA deactivated much of the time.

BTW if you're playing a DD with DefAA (a lot of the USA ones have this option, for example, although utility can be limited), activating that will automatically activate your AA at the same time, so you don't need to take two actions when threatened/spotted by aircraft you want to fire at. don't forget to switch your AA off again afterwards though.

It's a fairly simple thing, but I needed it pointing out to me when I started out.

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles
1 hour ago, Verblonde said:

Welcome, OP!

One useful thing that was drawn to my attention (by a much wiser WOWS player) vis-a-vis visibility is the ability to deactivate AA guns (and secondaries, although that doesn't apply to DDs) by pressing the P key.

This matters (mainly to sneakier DDs) because when your AA guns fire, you can be spotted from much further away; if they aren't deactivated, they will fire automatically if any enemy plane gets within range, giving you away.

To determine when/if you want to do this:

1) Press and hold H in-game, and your ship's stats will pop up.

2) Find the distance from which you'll be spotted by aircraft (Air Detectability Range).

3) Find the range of your longest-ranged AA guns.

4) If your maximum AA range is less than your Air Detectability Range, you don't need to deactivate AA (you'll get seen by planes before you fire, so it makes no difference); if your Air Detectability Range is smaller than your max AA range, you will want to run with AA deactivated much of the time.

BTW if you're playing a DD with DefAA (a lot of the USA ones have this option, for example, although utility can be limited), activating that will automatically activate your AA at the same time, so you don't need to take two actions when threatened/spotted by aircraft you want to fire at. don't forget to switch your AA off again afterwards though.

It's a fairly simple thing, but I needed it pointing out to me when I started out.

Or you click at the small set of cogwheels in the top corner at your mini map. There is some check boxes with various ranges you can switch on or off. Like detection range by air or the range of of your AA. Very useful

• Cool 1