Sign in to follow this  
VC381

Akizuki advice?

27 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

I got this ship because it looked unique. It is pretty fun, rate of fire is obviously very funny, but I can't say I'm doing well with it. Confession straight up, I don't have IFHE (yet). My captain is only 13 points and transferred from Akatsuki where I was using a hybrid gunboat build. I will probably re-spec after I hit 14 points. But, I get a lot of broadside targets and I'm fine with using the AP so I don't think that's a major issue. Ship is upgraded, captain re-trained. Anyway, issues I'm having:

• for all the hype about the muzzle velocity, the arcs are nothing to write home about. I'm having a lot of trouble hitting consistently even at moderate ranges (and I'm used to Fletcher arcs...)
  • even against broadside same tier DD (e.g. Benson), I eat through him with AP but easily take more damage than I deal in the same time. Can't seem to make the ship work as the monster 1v1 it's supposed to be
  • if I'm spotted I eat lots of BB shells and they really hurt, so while I would like to go find DDs to duel it's often the case their support hurts me far more than my support hurts them (because they can actually dodge)

Basically, I'm struggling to find a balance of aggression and positioning where I can consistently be useful. I'm either dead so fast I can't contribute, or too far away from the action to contribute.

Awaiting your advice :fish_book:

[SCRUB]
Players
6,929 posts
9,129 battles

Those 100mm shells are a bit on the light side and lose a lot of speed at range, but they're still better than the US 127mm arcs. I suppose you just need a bit more time adjusting.

Akizuki is a pretty big ship and not exactly the slimmest. That makes it easy to hit and prone to catching regular pens with AP. The dps however is outstanding so all things considered equal, you should hurt the enemy DDs more than they hurt you in a 1vs1. Problem is a DD brawl is still very much just trading HP and whilst the Akizuki has plenty of that for a DD, it's not going to work in the longrun.

Also, the Akizuki's 100mm AP shells have deceptively good penetration up close. A Benson showing broadside up close is like to get overpenned mostly. Even though that still shows as plenty damage to you due to the eight rapidfiring guns, on many DDs shooting HE is the better choice. I'd only switch to AP if they angle decent bit or against the big ones (Gearing, Grozovoy, Khabarovsk or another Akizuki). Maybe that's your problem with seemingly getting bad trades.

As for the positioning/aggression, I'd generally say play her like you'd do a US DD. Concealment is equal and you do more work with your guns than with your torpedoes. You do have to keep her horrid manouverability in mind though, Akizuki is nowhere near as nimble to turn than a Benson, so in case of doubt, add another km or two to be on the save side until you figured out where you're comfortable.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
715 posts
10,378 battles

Best advice is to sell it, get a Kiev or Blyska if you want a mid tier gunboat and be happy. I was hyped about it too, but sold it eventually.

• Bad 3

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,516 battles

I consider it as tier 8 mini-minotaur w/o hydro.
You rely on smokes to kill your enemies, and 1v1 you can kill any DD at your tier.
It is VERY strong, but can be eaisly killed with torps, since - again - it relies heavily on it`s smoke to deal damage.
Radar, hydro, or bad position (getting torped) will kill you very fast.

As of captain skills i`d say that Preventitive -> Last Stand -> Superintendent -> IFHE make the core build.
Concealment is nice to get, but only after IFHE, since you stay in smokes, and deal damage with guns - guns that can`t pen much without IFHE.

Other skills such as bft, aft, de, vigilance (you turn like crap), are up for to you.

• Cool 2

[AKI]
Players
73 posts

You can have fun and get her full AA build and just piew piew at long distance

Or you can build a sneaky dd hunter

IFHE is indeed needed and don't be afraid to sometimes switch to AP

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles
2 hours ago, Aotearas said:

Those 100mm shells are a bit on the light side and lose a lot of speed at range, but they're still better than the US 127mm arcs. I suppose you just need a bit more time adjusting.

Akizuki is a pretty big ship and not exactly the slimmest. That makes it easy to hit and prone to catching regular pens with AP. The dps however is outstanding so all things considered equal, you should hurt the enemy DDs more than they hurt you in a 1vs1. Problem is a DD brawl is still very much just trading HP and whilst the Akizuki has plenty of that for a DD, it's not going to work in the longrun.

Also, the Akizuki's 100mm AP shells have deceptively good penetration up close. A Benson showing broadside up close is like to get overpenned mostly. Even though that still shows as plenty damage to you due to the eight rapidfiring guns, on many DDs shooting HE is the better choice. I'd only switch to AP if they angle decent bit or against the big ones (Gearing, Grozovoy, Khabarovsk or another Akizuki). Maybe that's your problem with seemingly getting bad trades.

As for the positioning/aggression, I'd generally say play her like you'd do a US DD. Concealment is equal and you do more work with your guns than with your torpedoes. You do have to keep her horrid manouverability in mind though, Akizuki is nowhere near as nimble to turn than a Benson, so in case of doubt, add another km or two to be on the save side until you figured out where you're comfortable.

Interesting. I was using AP a lot because I thought HE without IFHE doesn't pen the hulls of most T8+ DDs but I don't remember exactly which it does and doesn't. Sounds like I need that 14th point and a re-spec though. I'll try using HE more for now and see how it goes.

I have tried playing her like a US DD but it's been getting me killed because US DDs are just so wiggly it feels awkward to not be able to fall back on that. I think I just need to pay more attention to where the support is, it's so easy to tunnel vision with such a short reload!

[SCRUB]
Players
6,929 posts
9,129 battles
3 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Interesting. I was using AP a lot because I thought HE without IFHE doesn't pen the hulls of most T8+ DDs but I don't remember exactly which it does and doesn't. Sounds like I need that 14th point and a re-spec though. I'll try using HE more for now and see how it goes.

I have tried playing her like a US DD but it's been getting me killed because US DDs are just so wiggly it feels awkward to not be able to fall back on that. I think I just need to pay more attention to where the support is, it's so easy to tunnel vision with such a short reload!

Ah, if you don't have IFHE yet then no, stick with AP. Your HE won't be penetrating equal tier DD hulls without the IFHE skill.

Sorry, I overlooked the sentence where you mentioned that (a bit willful ignorance since I basically assume everyone specs IFHE on their Akizuki for obvious reasons, duh).

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

Yeah, as I said sub-optimal transfer captain and not at 14 points anyway. Plus I wanted to test no-IFHE to see if I could spend the points elsewhere, but seems not.

I know @Infiriel said to take IFHE first but I didn't think I'd be comfortable without CE. Good thing there's a CW captain reset coming up!

Is the rudder mod worth it over the engine mod? Or maybe rudder over concealment mod as long as CE is there?

Players
1,192 posts
3,451 battles
2 hours ago, VC381 said:

Is the rudder mod worth it over the engine mod? Or maybe rudder over concealment mod as long as CE is there?

I don't remember if I chose rudder or engine, but I do know that I gave her the Engine Boost Special Mod (the one from supercontainers): 3min of engine boost really helps in the maneuvrability department.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
6,929 posts
9,129 battles
3 hours ago, VC381 said:

Yeah, as I said sub-optimal transfer captain and not at 14 points anyway. Plus I wanted to test no-IFHE to see if I could spend the points elsewhere, but seems not.

I know @Infiriel said to take IFHE first but I didn't think I'd be comfortable without CE. Good thing there's a CW captain reset coming up!

Personally I am using the rudder mod. 2 to decrease the rudder shift, but I also rarely use my smokes offensively unless I roughly know from which direction torpedoes would be coming. Additional acceleration helps little since the bigger problem is the turning circle anyway.

And I definately recommend using concealment mod over the rudder mod. 3 ... for because the turning circle is your real enemy, not the ruddershift and secondly with full stealth build this ship will spot other DDs at roughly the same time as they spot you at which point your superiour dpm should win any 1vs1. I find that too valuable to give up, though I haven't tried to make it work the other way.

Players
1,421 posts
10,081 battles
On 16/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, Aotearas said:

Ah, if you don't have IFHE yet then no, stick with AP. Your HE won't be penetrating equal tier DD hulls without the IFHE skill.

Get IFHE before you judge it.

Personally I prefer my Harekaze with 100 mm guns and decent maneuverability, but it is a great boat if you use concealment vs DDs to close all the way before ambushing. Ballistics suck outside 8 km, you can basically just hit BBs. 

Look to YT I think Flamu made a couple videos about the playstyle

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

I'm looking forward to IFHE (60k captain XP to go, fingers crossed for free respec from CW) but I'm not holding my breath. Played a couple of games yesterday and again the issue was not doing damage, but the huge amount of damage I would take from other sources as soon as I open up on the enemy DD, and the inability to dodge or get away. Seems I'm forced into a very passive or at least very team-dependant playstyle.

I'll try to dig up those Flamu vids later.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,800 posts
6,436 battles

You have to be very cautious when playing Akizuki. My advice would be to play in division if possible too, as you'd love being covered at least by a cruiser.

I don't have mine for a long time either, and I got a streak of bad losses during the last few days. (motsly team comprized of animals and bots... and I was at 56.99%WR, almost finally got to 57%...), but I kind of like it. I'm looking forward to Kitakaze and Harugumo if they do fix the big issues of the Ducky.

I'd say, in the first part of the match, play cautiously. Don't rush head first into a cap like you would with, say, a Lo Yang. You don't have the mobility to run away if you took the wrong choice.

Instead, assert which enemy is where, and choose your target based on that. Akizuki have gun range, so you can always use your smoke to farm some damage on big targets. Only go chase after the DDs when you know you can have a cover easily and you won't be "blap'ed" by BBs AP.

When you spot the enemy DD; depending on the situation either burst them with a few salvo and run away trying to avoid getting focused too much, or press the attack and kill them. You are a threat for any DD ingame bar for Khabarosvk, and you won't find them in a cap anyway.

You can be a fantastic carry if you manage to catch the enemy DDs while avoiding the bigger ships. It requires to take your time, prepare your escape routes (< important), and a good situational awareness.

Not easy, sometimes frustrating, but overall fun.

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,609 posts
8,747 battles
1 hour ago, VC381 said:

I'm looking forward to IFHE (60k captain XP to go, fingers crossed for free respec from CW) but I'm not holding my breath. Played a couple of games yesterday and again the issue was not doing damage, but the huge amount of damage I would take from other sources as soon as I open up on the enemy DD, and the inability to dodge or get away. Seems I'm forced into a very passive or at least very team-dependant playstyle.

IFHE is MUST have skill because without it the HE shell (penetration 16mm without and 20mm with IFHE) will not penetrate plating (19mm) of DD or superstructure (19mm) of BB/CA.

But the magic of the Aki guns is to know when to use AP and when to use HE. If you manage to ambush enemy broadside on the short distance you can melt them with AP (even BB and CA) and even citadel CL.

The best role for the Aki is DD hunter. It has best DpM from all DD (even t10) and can hunt any DD in the game. I like to hunt enemy overconfident Gearings who see "some low tier Jap DD" and thinks it will be an easy kill.:Smile_playing: 

But as others mentioned it is big, slow and sluggish DD so it cannot dance between shells like Khaba and even avoid torpedo salvo is sometimes a problem. 

I play it slightly passively at the start of the battle and even let enemy DD cap if they have support.

But then they start to be overconfident and try to launch torpedo salvo on my teammates BB and leaves their support behind them and this is the correct time to hunt them (and after sunk them recap).

After you deal with enemy DD you can pick targets as you like and read some "nice" remark about "OP DD in smoke" from enemy BB in chat :Smile_trollface:

And last two pieces of advice.

If you have Engine Boost Modification 1 put it on Aki because it helps you overcome one of the weaknesses  - speed.

If you have Yamamoto captain put him on Akizuki.  Because with this ship you will have the First blood  very often  (extra smoke and motor boost are nice) and also Dreadnought on DD is a nice perk :Smile_medal:

My stats with Akizuki

Spoiler

Aki.png

Players
129 posts
6,038 battles

I guess an easy way to improve your effectiveness as usual is div around your ship, have a more torp heavy ship that can support in caps, or having a radar cruiser or just any cruiser helps, or if you feel really spicy div up with a t7 dd and some other t8 aa ship. But as most of the people have said before me, getting the captain with IFHE and bft is a must, personally I only have around 200 games in the aki, I prefer my kidd to be honest, but its an epic ship in certain situations.

[UTW]
7,800 posts
6,436 battles

Ah, I should add : don't think you can aim for a very high average damage with Akizuki. Played right you will farm the winrate like no other, but your main targets will be DDs and plane, and you will have a hard time doing real damage with your torpedoes.

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,516 battles
1 godzinę temu, ShinGetsu napisał:

Ah, I should add : don't think you can aim for a very high average damage with Akizuki. Played right you will farm the winrate like no other, but your main targets will be DDs and plane, and you will have a hard time doing real damage with your torpedoes.

Why can`t we?
Akizuki fares really good against BB`s when you spec DE instead of Torp Expertise. I`m not saying it`s an "overpowered firestarter, nerf please", but it tends to deal a lot of damage through fires if it chooses to focus on BB`s.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles
2 hours ago, Sigimundus said:

I play it slightly passively at the start of the battle and even let enemy DD cap if they have support.

But then they start to be overconfident and try to launch torpedo salvo on my teammates BB and leaves their support behind them and this is the correct time to hunt them (and after sunk them recap).

Thanks, this is what I need to try. I'm usually trying too hard at the start to cap, or at least deny cap, and then sometimes I get surrounded. I need to focus on discipline with this tactic.

If that fails I'll try to park in smoke and farm BBs. Usually they turn away and AP damage on broadside is great. Even so, last time I did this I had almost zero spotting support and when my smoke ran out I was in a very bad place...

Also, I was firing HE at a Zao and got 1k+ damage per salvo, not a lot but definitely not all bounces even though no IFHE. Same with an Iowa.

I have a speed boost mod, it's on a Z-23 I don't play much so I might move it!

[T-N-T]
Weekend Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,609 posts
8,747 battles
27 minutes ago, VC381 said:

need to focus on discipline

Yes with Aki it is really crucial. Because it can not turn and run from bad situations as others DD.
You need to prevent these situations beforehand. Aki does not forgive mistakes but with correct handling, it is one of the best ships in the game.
I know it is easy to write and very hard to practice :cap_tea:

[UTW]
7,800 posts
6,436 battles
51 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

Why can`t we?
Akizuki fares really good against BB`s when you spec DE instead of Torp Expertise. I`m not saying it`s an "overpowered firestarter, nerf please", but it tends to deal a lot of damage through fires if it chooses to focus on BB`s.

Fire is very RNG-dependant.

It may balance in the long run, but I don't find Akizuki a very good firestarter (I don't have DE yet, only SE as tier 3 skill) and sometimes it works eometimes it don't. It's hard being very consistent with Aki past the 25k damage farmed on enemy DD... 

I have around 45-50k average with Akizuki, but I'm pretty sure I'll have a hard time raising it, because it heavily depends on the MM, fire RNG and what the enemy team does.

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

Aaaaand... nope.

Fully upgraded ship.

Respecced captain with IFHE.

Tried everything you guys said.

I really want to like this ship but... just nope... :Smile_sad:

Nope.JPG

EDIT:

For comparison, starting off in full stock Kagero:

Yup.JPG

Players
1,192 posts
3,451 battles

It's looking like we might have to start sharing replays in order to help.

I'll have a couple games later in Akizuki and upload the results, if I feel like playing WoWS (I'm feeling a little burnt out after the weekend, so I might not).

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

I could watch a couple of replays, see if I can get some tips :Smile_honoring:

Just when I thought I was doing something right... FML :Smile_amazed:

shot-18_05.01_21_03.42-0412.thumb.jpg.43c7ccd352df4f893b26527093273de7.jpg

[H_FAN]
Players
1,861 posts
20,799 battles
On 2018-04-20 at 11:43 AM, VC381 said:

One  of the few times I have payed for a respec were on the Akizuki.

[UTW]
7,800 posts
6,436 battles

I played it a bit more for my last tier 8 ranked game.

I think the trick is to approach the caps like you would with a cruiser. Start your turn before engaging, and kite your opponent. You have to be ready to run earlier that you would with any other DD.

Sign in to follow this