You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aragathor

Ship Detection Changes on the PTS

77 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Players
2,682 posts
9,818 battles

So, @wilkatis_LV has posted a video of the new ship detection changes that were teased before. Watch the video:

Instead of solving the issue, WG again went for the dumbest solution and decided to punish people with minimap awareness. Because adding a delay to the minimap is the way solve detection issues.

If this goes live, the first notification you will have that there's a ship nearby will be a dev strike in your side.

My reaction:

Spoiler

500?cb=20121219172516

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,876 posts
6,747 battles
4 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

WG again went for the dumbest solution ... adding a delay to the minimap

I f*cking knew it. Well they provide what they promised, now appearence on minimap and rendering are in same pace  :D

Vodka engineering stronk!

• Funny 2

[CATS]
Players
13,560 posts
10,366 battles

That happens when people whine too much.

Hope they reconsider that "feature".

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,529 posts
6,365 battles

2OkwHHz.jpg

That delay there was ~1.33s (so about normal what you'd have)

Now imagine those blyatiful times where ship takes up to 5 if not even more seconds to "render". Now you don't even get him on the minimap, enjoy getting blasted out of the water by an enemy around the corner who you never saw there despite him being point blank range from you :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
560 posts
4,685 battles

Yeah next CV nerf - because seeing the mino on your minimap 2 seconds before seeing it on normal screen gave you an chance to save half the squad ....

[ALONE]
Players
1,292 posts
10,295 battles

No comments. Usually when something dangerous shows on the minimap you can assume it fired. If you have >0 in your "target counter" you can guess it fired at you. 

Now you just will know when the salvo will be in the air for quite a few seconds or you will be already citadelled. 

What a genius came with that solution? 

Players
1,189 posts
3,416 battles

maxresdefault.jpg

As a DD main, I can only hope that all players will be saddled with the same delay. It would be the difference between life and death if someone with the same detection radius as you would have you render before they rendered for you. At least with the current system, as long as you are paying attention to the minimap you can tell where the enemy is when they pop up.

Edited by Captain_LOZFFVII
epilleptic jontron meme hurt my eyes

[EST]
[EST]
Players
689 posts
17,383 battles

WG at it's best. Can't wait CV rework and BB vs DD AP fix now. :cap_haloween:

• Funny 2

Players
560 posts
4,685 battles

Well DD vs. AP fix is easy to guess now:

To avoid random full pens on DDs from BB guns now all BB shells allways full pen a DD and do no longer mostly overpen.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[LOBUZ]
[LOBUZ]
Players
4,224 posts
15,461 battles

Rashian programmink best programmink

• Funny 4

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,758 battles

Wasn't this supposed to be the other way around... on screen same time as mini-map.. or was that wishful reading/thinking by me and most other people who saw the announcement?

• Cool 3

[OGHF]
Players
526 posts
10,068 battles

Could be wrong, but if you can not see the ship till it renders, surly the other  player will not  see you till you render?..

[-5D2-]
Players
491 posts
3,235 battles
4 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Could be wrong, but if you can not see the ship till it renders, surly the other  player will not  see you till you render?..

Well I think that depends on their hardware or is it actually coded there is a delay?

[CAIN]
[CAIN]
Players
2,706 posts
10,505 battles
6 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

There seem to be exceptions when obstacles are involved.

Players
1,189 posts
3,416 battles
15 minutes ago, HotshotJimmy said:

Well I think that depends on their hardware or is it actually coded there is a delay?

As someone who likes playing DDs but doesn't have the most powerful computer, I really hope the delay is hard-coded like the sixth-sense perk in WoT.

[POP]
Players
288 posts
7,131 battles

This will lead smart  DD players being in detection range longer. A nerf to good DD play.

• Cool 4

Players
379 posts

I think Wargaming have said that the render delay is an artificial one, designed so that everyone has ships appear at the same time rather than people with better computers having the advantage of ships rendering in sooner. So if the delay is one they have designed in deliberately it makes some sense to make the minimap match the intended delay. Though it might mean the shells are the first thing you see now, those do seem to appear before the ship that fired them renders in so they'd now appear before that and before the icon.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
6,912 posts
9,129 battles

You see comrade, if ship renders slower than minimap, you just make minimap slower and is now just as fast! Easy as cooking Borscht!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
3 hours ago, Aragathor said:

So, @wilkatis_LV has posted a video of the new ship detection changes that were teased before. Watch the video:

Instead of solving the issue, WG again went for the dumbest solution and decided to punish people with minimap awareness. Because adding a delay to the minimap is the way solve detection issues.

If this goes live, the first notification you will have that there's a ship nearby will be a dev strike in your side.

My reaction:

Reveal hidden contents

500?cb=20121219172516

@MrConway @Sub_Octavian

So... is it possible to pass to the devs the feedback that when something works like it should (ships appearing on minimap when within detection radius) and another thing doesn't (spotted ship not rendering) and people want that to be fixed they DON'T mean that you should break the part that works as declared?...

Also, can you give us some info on how it works when additional delay is caused by hardware limitations? Are people with weaker machines going to be additionally punished for that (now unable to even see the minimap outline)?

• Cool 7

Players
284 posts
2,984 battles

manlosthope.thumb.png.967cddd2fa46c7cb5d7cca919c73cd92.png

I am slowly starting to think I may actually not come back even for a kitakami. :cap_old:

• Funny 4

[HR]
Beta Tester
782 posts
7,735 battles

Not sure if this is a good change or not...but when a person is detected..they should have a detection range of about 15km. This would encourage teamwork and snipers in the back will not see anything for days. 

On the minimap issue. I don’t think it matters since every patch makes the game more and more casual.

• Cool 1