almitov

Battleship AP overpenetrations

6 comments in this topic

[BGNAV]
Players
106 posts
4,919 battles

Hi,

Is it just me or are BB AP shells doing more overpens as of late? I've had this problem ever since the French BBs were released but it is not limited to them. I was recently playing my Texas to complete the Twitch prime missions for the special camo. I've never seen so many of my shells overpenetrate CAs and CLs... The same happened with my Richelieu, the same happens in my Alsace (yesterday I had 4 consecutive salvos at a broadside DM at 10km for a total of 16 overpens). From the BBs in my garage I have no such problems only with Nikolai I, Montana (to some extend) and Ishizuchi. Yama has always had an issue with overpenetrating lightly armored targets and Conqueror's AP is questionable - it can do 20-30K in a salvo but usually does only overpens and shatters. Can't say anything for the GK - I haven't played it much lately.

Here is an example of one of my late games in the Texas. I shot at CLs and BBs for most of the game, got 1 citadel hit and what you see on the screenshot.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,964 posts
5,449 battles

Idk, since I'm BB mainly haven't noticed that. Playing Lion mostly now and when I switch to AP for broadside CAs I score some citadels on 'em and couple of overpens with one pen, played GK same, and some others from tier V to X. The most overpens I get is Giulio Cesare but that's because of that recent change on AP for that ship. Maybe some bad RNG for ye, I guess.

[TCG]
Players
1,226 posts
11,886 battles

This is always been same. Whenever cruiser gives you broadside there are only two posibility. Overpen or Citadel.

[BGNAV]
Players
106 posts
4,919 battles
1 hour ago, Accelerated said:

This is always been same. Whenever cruiser gives you broadside there are only two posibility. Overpen or Citadel.

I know that, but lately I seem to get a hell of a lot more of the former...

This can be exploited in some CLs - in my Atlanta for example, I tend to give perfect broadside to BBs with 380mm and higher caliber guns up close. Otherwise I'll just get deleted. Lately however I seem to get mostly overpens even at CAs at low to mid range. Long range is landing citadels on most hits, but then again hitting at long range is a challenge by itself. Also we all know that those pesky BBs staying at 20+km are the cancer of this game anyway - I will not become one.

Anyway - I will accept my fate then. RnGesus seems to hate me...

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
404 posts
17,033 battles

I dont notice any difference at least. I usually wait for cruisers to angle slightly before shooting.

Players
129 posts
6,038 battles

I wouldn't be surprised when they 'fixed' the under water ballistics that things changed. I have seen an overall reduction in my overall damage on all my bbs, and seen my ap on cruisers less effective than I remember. I have also seen a lot more pens doing no damage, but it could just be me. The bbs I am referring to are the warspite, mustu, Scharnhorst, amagi, Yamamto, as well as the ap on cruisers being my Hindenburg and konisgberg.