You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Dear WG: Please re-make battle UI with simple fix that "Detected" / "Priority Target" / "Incoming Fire" / "Radar" / "Hydro" icons can _ALL_ be shown at once and not altering like it is now!

16 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,858 posts
8,086 battles

Hi all,

Dear WG: Please re-make battle UI with simple fix that "Detected" / "Priority Target" / "Incoming Fire" / "Radar" / "Hydro" icons can _ALL_ be shown at once and not altering like it is now!

Right now they can't all be shown at once and that is _HUGE_ problem in many occasions because player needs all information he can get... :Smile_sad:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Thread at Reddit:

• Cool 14

[UNICS]
Players
2,783 posts
11,545 battles
37 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

...  Please re-make battle UI with simple fix ....

:cap_like:

..but I agree, I'd like it to become a bit clearer too.

• Cool 1

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Yes, the current implementation is rubbish. If you are visibly spotted you have no idea if the enemy radar is still active so no idea whether to use your smoke yet.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts

I have the feeling average joe would be overloaded with information, unless icons themselves got remade. All of them should have different colours.

I don't think there is need for priority target to have separate icon. Incoming fire definitely could've been better implemented.

Radar / hydro can still be 1 icon, just split in 2 and colour coded.

Players
1,648 posts
11,443 battles

Would be nice, but if all are on at the same time it'll mess up the screen as well ( though you're most likely in the process of dieing anyways at that Point )

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,858 posts
8,086 battles

Hi all,

7 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

I have the feeling average joe would be overloaded with information, unless icons themselves got remade. All of them should have different colours.

I don't think there is need for priority target to have separate icon. Incoming fire definitely could've been better implemented.

You can be both "Hydro" and "Radar" detected at same time BTW! :Smile_hiding:

It is imperative to know all available info IMHO...

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,783 posts
11,545 battles
11 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

It is imperative to know all available info IMHO...

You can be detected, hydroed and radared at the same time and only have info of one at the time. Could be as intended but I think the 'radar/hydro' icon at least should override the 'detected' icon. Preferably you'd have separate icons for each.

As a common example - you're radared in a dd, start shooting because you're spotted regardless - the icon immediately switches to from 'radared' to 'detected' because 'detected' icon has precedence, you continue shooting a while and then pop smoke and 'detected' icon changes back to 'radared' icon. Since radar is more powerful than ordinary detection, it seems intuitive that the 'radar' icon should be visible during its duration, either by being a second, separate icon or by just giving it precedence over 'detected'.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts
36 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

If you split icon in half, you can the use it to present all 3 situations.

icons.jpg

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,858 posts
8,086 battles

Hi all,

11 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

If you split icon in half, you can show with it all 3 screnarios.

icons.jpg

Yep!

Also one can be:

• "Priority Target" = number of ships currently targeting you
  • "Incoming Fire Alert" = some distant BB also fired at you
  • "Radar" = radar detected you further away by CA
  • "Hydro" = you are also hydro detected by closer DD
  • "Plane" = you are also detected by spotter plane

Right now all these icons counter each other and are _NEVER_ shown at the same time which is terrible way of showing info to player... :Smile_amazed:

Leo "Apollo11"

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts
9 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Right now all these icons counter each other and are _NEVER_ shown at the same time which is terrible way of showing info to player... :Smile_amazed:

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate, to avoid confusion of less experienced players. In all honesty, rarely there is need for so much information in random battles.

What game should offer though is ability to chose between 'simplified' and 'comprehensive' information.

Surface / Plane Spotting / Priority Target and Incoming Fire alert you can also code using space for only one icon.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
59 minutes ago, Skyllon said:

Well, of course they need to be re-made, but it's not that hard to re-make them: you get the big exclamation mark and next to it you have small icons. Right now it can be a plane or hydro/radar. Now, WG for some reason doesn't differentiate between the latter two at all, so for starters it would be three "source" indicators: a small ship icon, a small plane icon AND a small Radar icon. With just 3, they can be easily identifiable.

And if WG believes that it's too much information at once (and will confuse less experienced players if it just all pops up on your screen) - we have the "alternate interface" thing: you press ALT and various additional info appear. These "what's ALL THE THINGS that spot me" icons could be accessed the same way - so if someone prefers, the information would be a button's press away rather than all-time visible.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,872 posts
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

And if WG believes that it's too much information at once (and will confuse less experienced players if it just all pops up on your screen) - we have the "alternate interface" thing: you press ALT and various additional info appear. These "what's ALL THE THINGS that spot me" icons could be accessed the same way - so if someone prefers, the information would be a button's press away rather than all-time visible.

2 hours ago, Skyllon said:

What game should offer though is ability to chose between 'simplified' and 'comprehensive' information.

[BS4]
Players
668 posts
4,903 battles

Did a thread about this a while ago.

Defenitly needs sorting out...had a game this morn where there was Baltimore and shimakaze within range ....got radr'd /hydro'd and had no clue as to who or how I was being detected because as you say its the same sybol.

Would be good to know what action to take without it being a wild guess.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,617 posts
9,114 battles
6 hours ago, Skyllon said:

I'm pretty sure it was deliberate, to avoid confusion of less experienced players. In all honesty, rarely there is need for so much information in random battles.

Surface / Plane Spotting / Priority Target and Incoming Fire alert you can also code using space for only one icon.

This.

[BAD-A]
Players
44 posts
7,691 battles

I agree with indicating when hard spotted, plane spotted and radar/hydro'd as its impossible to tell whether you are still in range of the other effects or if they have timed out and if your ship is capable of knowing that it has been radared or plane spotted then it show know this regardless of whether you are hard spotted or not... however leave Hydro and radar as the same icon with no distinction.

You generally can tell which is active with a little knowledge and map awareness. Separating them potentially punishes the opposing player who may have completely out-positioned and out played you. I think separating them is less about a UI improvement and more likely to result in rewarding bad awareness

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
7,790 posts
6,434 battles

IFA was great before they reworked it... it also was displayed when someone was trying to snipe your smoke. Actually it was its main use in ships such as RN CL and Kutuzov.

But now it only blinks for half a second... 

Also Radar and Hydro being displayed the same is a step back. It was much better before.