You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hades_warrior

Fire range detection for BB's in smoke

30 comments in this topic

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles

Since when some BB (in this case Republique) can sit in smoke and keep firing undetected on target ~3 km range?

I saw this today (which is total BS) how Republique firing at me with secondarys from 2.5-3km range undetected. He showed up briefly detected just to fire with main guns.

A small peace of land (beach) was in front of me, but that cant be used as island cover to hide.

Is this bug as it clearly looks to me as it is, or I miss something?

[BYOB]
Players
2,686 posts
9,840 battles
11 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

I saw this today (which is total BS) how Republique firing at me with secondarys from 2.5-3km range undetected.

Secondaries are not covered by the smoke firing detection rule. So you need to get to 2km to auto-spot a ship firing only the secondary guns.

[CATS]
Players
13,584 posts
10,382 battles

Look at the ship stats: Detection range when firing MAIN GUNS.

Secondary guns where never affected by smoke change.

• Cool 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts

If you would just be reading patchnotes (or at least remember them).

When the smoke firing fix was introduced, it was clarified that secondaries and torpedos are excluded. The visibility bloom is only for the main guns. The exact same situation as if you were not in smoke.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
38 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Since when some BB (in this case Republique) can sit in smoke and keep firing undetected on target ~3 km range?

It's called secondaries. They are not affected. Never have been.

39 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

firing at me with secondarys from 2.5-3km range undetected.

So then why do you ask if you already know the answer?

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Look at the ship stats: Detection range when firing MAIN GUNS.

Secondary guns where never affected by smoke change.

How you explain to go back undetected few seconds after firing with main guns from ~3 km range?

2 hours ago, Egoleter said:

If you would just be reading patchnotes (or at least remember them).

When the smoke firing fix was introduced, it was clarified that secondaries and torpedos are excluded. The visibility bloom is only for the main guns. The exact same situation as if you were not in smoke.

I didnt come to this game yesteray. If this was something usual im sure I would notice it and long before.

[CATS]
Players
13,584 posts
10,382 battles
  • It was more than a few seconds
  • The main guns did not fire
  • There was an Island

Beta Tester
4,143 posts
9,348 battles
19 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

How you explain to go back undetected few seconds after firing with main guns from ~3 km range?

I didnt come to this game yesteray. If this was something usual im sure I would notice it and long before.

Just shows how utterly worthless it is when you say you "notice" things.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
18 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Easy - he didn't fire his main guns

Used Montana as an example:

KvowF3S.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Well apparently you didn't, because:

(the part you want to see starts at 1:34)

That's from PTS of the patch where this mechanic was introduced, and that's exactly how we got it and how it has been since

• Cool 2

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts
43 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

:fish_palm: Yeah, sure. We are all wrong. We are all wrong for half a year now. /sarcasm

Please see the other posts above. They might be able to make you rethink that comment.

But just in case: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/updates/dasha-through-the-snow/

Changes in Ship Detection Mechanics

Firing out of Smoke Screen has always been standard tactics of destroyers and light cruisers equipped with a Smoke Generator. However, Smoke Screen as a means of attack wasn't intended for heavy cruisers and battleships. Acting wisely, a battleship/heavy cruiser in cooperation with a destroyer could deliver huge damage to opponents keeping them at bay. In Ranked Battles, the use of this tactic resulted in passive play, when players simply waited, testing their opponents' nerves and Smoke Screens. Respecting players' feedback, we started to work on improving the Smoke Screen mechanics. Taking into consideration the fact that these mechanics were basic ones, we held multiple tests and finally we're glad to show you the new version of Smoke Screen. Don't worry, the new mechanics won't dramatically affect ships, which were balanced taking into consideration the Smoke Generator option. Besides, these changes will only have effect in short- and mid-range battles.

As a reminder, according to the previous mechanics, a ship that fired from Smoke Screen was completely invisible, and it could be only detected from an assured acquisition distance of 2 km (3 km provided the Target Acquisition System Modification 1 is installed) or with the help of the Hydroacoustic Search or Surveillance Radar consumable.

Now, if a ship that hides in or behind a Smoke Screen fires, she becomes visible.

How does it work?

Each ship will have the Detectability after firing the main guns in smoke parameter, which depends on the gun calibre and type of the ship. See parameter values for each ship at the end of the section. If an enemy ship hiding behind a Smoke Screen is within the range determined by this parameter value, she will be detected after she fires her main guns. The new mechanics won't have effect on islands, aircraft, secondary armament, and AA capabilities – only the main battery and detectability from sea.

The assured acquisition value (2.0 km) and Detectability after firing the main guns value will be displayed in the ship's specifications in the Port, when pressing the "H" key in battle, or when hovering on hit points (model) of the ship.

If the ship has not been detected and she doesn't sit in a Smoke Screen, the circles, as before, will display the current ship's detectability value (basic value plus modifiers).

If the ship has not been detected and she fires not being in Smoke Screen, then the circles will expand up to the Detectability after firing the main guns in smoke value.

If the ship has not been detected and she sits in a Smoke Screen, then the assured acquisition circle of 2 km will be displayed; besides, the ship cannot be detected by aircraft.

If the ship sits in a Smoke Screen and fires a main gun shell, then the circle will expand up to the Detectability after firing the main guns in smoke value. If the ship is detected after firing a shell, the circle width will remain the same. Additionally, if the ship goes out of Smoke Screen before the detectability penalty ceases, the circle will expand up to the Detectability after firing the main guns value.

This logic is also applicable to the behaviour of detectability range circles on the Minimap.

In other words, if a ship fires a main gun shell, Smoke Screen won't guarantee its invisibility. Earlier, firing from Smoke Screen didn't influence ship detectability (it remained invisible). After the changes applied, enemy ships are more likely to spot you after you fire from Smoke Screen. After firing, the detectability range value will be 2.5 km for destroyers, 5.9 km for cruisers, and 13.6 km for battleships. Time period within which a ship can be detected will be 20 seconds.

Please read the underlined part. Please note how everything else is talking about main guns.

So now please tell me again how you notice things.

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,577 battles

I wouldnt mind if they cant fire secondaries as well in smoke :D Would be something :P

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
38 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

I wouldnt mind if they cant fire secondaries as well in smoke :D Would be something :P

Personally I wouldn't mind a small penalty either. Especially for ships who can get their secondaries past 10km - those are not just "close range defense" anymore.

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Personally I wouldn't mind a small penalty either. Especially for ships who can get their secondaries past 10km - those are not just "close range defense" anymore.

Well, it seems like for a specific part of the playerbase close range starts at 15 km, so... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
1,648 posts
11,443 battles
11 hours ago, Tungstonid said:

Well, it seems like for a specific part of the playerbase close range starts at 15 km, so... :Smile_hiding:

That's ramming distance. Need to stay clear off that you know... :fish_nerv:

• Funny 1

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
15 hours ago, Egoleter said:

:fish_palm: Yeah, sure. We are all wrong. We are all wrong for half a year now. /sarcasm

Please see the other posts above. They might be able to make you rethink that comment.

But just in case: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/updates/dasha-through-the-snow/

Please read the underlined part. Please note how everything else is talking about main guns.

So now please tell me again how you notice things.

No, I stay with my comment. More to that is because im not the only one who saw this as some strange cr*p. So will you tell me how me and my clan mates are all idiots?

If I have to repeat myself and explaining simple things, what makes you think you will understand me from 2nd try?

• Boring 1

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles

That's why replays should be activated by default.

[BGBRD]
Players
162 posts
8,554 battles
15 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

No, I stay with my comment. More to that is because im not the only one who saw this as some strange cr*p. So will you tell me how me and my clan mates are all idiots?

If I have to repeat myself and explaining simple things, what makes you think you will understand me from 2nd try?

Replay or it didn't happen :cap_haloween:

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,207 posts
13,957 battles
16 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Learn the game mechanic if he fired main guns it takes 20 seconds to stealth up.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles
1 hour ago, Hades_warrior said:

So will you tell me how me and my clan mates are all idiots?

Well, I guess someone would have to break it to you, but yeah - you apparently you are. How? General ignorance and illiteracy would be my best guess.

No, I stay with my comment.

We've given you proof of the contrary. You've given us... Nothing apart from "me smort, me knuw gud, me knuw mure tahn yu knuw becuz me so smort" supplemented with a good dose of "muh feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelz liek that tru"

You mean 1st time? Because you still haven't explained / proved anything even once, unlike literally everyone else here

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
690 posts
17,408 battles
3 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

Go to training room with clanmates, replicate what you think happened. If you fail to get same result, you have your answer.

• Boring 1

Beta Tester
4,143 posts
9,348 battles
3 hours ago, Hades_warrior said:

• Bad 1

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts
1 minute ago, AgarwaenME said:
Spoiler

Carefull. He might think that we are the incompetent ones.

• Boring 1

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
580 posts
7,401 battles
22 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

So then why do you ask if you already know the answer?

Guess he asked just because he wanted to ask :P 

• Boring 1

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
On 4/15/2018 at 12:36 PM, T0byJug said:

Learn the game mechanic if he fired main guns it takes 20 seconds to stealth up.

20 seconds on clear ground.  If that count for smoke field then its more weird because that BB went back stealth within 3 seconds.

20 sec and 3 is a big diference...

Usualy when im siting in smoke anyone can see me under 15 km range, becaue im aware of smoke changes few patches ago.

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
On 4/15/2018 at 3:07 PM, Profilus said:

Go to training room with clanmates, replicate what you think happened. If you fail to get same result, you have your answer.

Boy, none of us need training room. But it would nice if you forward those wishes to your friends.

Dont have time to answer all cra'ps here. 

Forumies... Lol community.