6 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
75 battles

This is most likely the most frequent topic for any newcomer to ask.

I am currently sailing with my Chester and for the first time I get to have a dilemma between HE or AP.

Thing is if I use 100% HE during a match I tend to do a lot better kill and total damage vise then when I try to use AP (even situationally).

I get that AP is only effective when: You are closer than 10 km, enemy broad side on and not shooting at a destroyer.

Problem is that 90% of my shots shatter, 9% over-penetrate and maybe 1% does any real damage. The thing is that even with that damage I do as much as with HE. Except AP is less reliable. :cap_hmm:

Am I missing something here?
P.s- I statistically did more citadel hits with my HE than with AP. :cap_rambo:

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,212 posts
5,861 battles
8 minutes ago, Venom7000 said:

Am I missing something here?

Nope, you actually quite nailed it here....

That being said, your experience will differ when you reach higher tiers. At that point, ships will become thicker, more well armored and also your guns will be able to penetrate them better. Tier 2 really isn't a good representation of shell types.

Once you reach heavy cruisers you'll see a dramatic increase in AP performance. US CAs from tier 7 and onwards have especially dangerous AP shells, as they can hit citadels at much greater angles than other cruisers.

• Cool 1

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,190 posts
10,969 battles

If you shoot AP at battleships, even broadside, you have to aim at the superstructure do get any damage.

Players
2 posts
75 battles
1 hour ago, domen3 said:

Nope, you actually quite nailed it here....

That being said, your experience will differ when you reach higher tiers. At that point, ships will become thicker, more well armored and also your guns will be able to penetrate them better. Tier 2 really isn't a good representation of shell types.

Once you reach heavy cruisers you'll see a dramatic increase in AP performance. US CAs from tier 7 and onwards have especially dangerous AP shells, as they can hit citadels at much greater angles than other cruisers.

Aha I see. Yeah pretty much like in WOT the lower tiers have nothing to do with the actual game. :cap_haloween:

Najlepša hvala brate,

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,347 posts

Many ships at T2 are protected cruisers, making HE generally preferable as the citadels are very, well, protected. HE will go through the outer hull and explode somewhere inside the ship, draining HP significantly as most of the 'potential HP' is pooled in the outer sections anyway... for some reason. AP can be better at longer ranges as the shells will come down onto the sloped citadel armour which otherwise protects the ships very well against AP at close range, but the guns are so inaccurate that there isn't any consistency in this approach.

Most ships in the game, T4 onward, are armoured with straight vertical plates that tend to correspond with the ship's shape on the sides and be flat on the front and rear, making your AP useful from then on.

On 13/04/2018 at 7:18 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

If you shoot AP at battleships, even broadside, you have to aim at the superstructure do get any damage.

6" shells will punch through the thinner upper hull at close range. This is true for most cruiser-battleship matchups at all tiers, though actually getting into such a situation becomes increasingly rare as you climb the tiers.

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,016 posts
8,749 battles

For using AP efficiently, you need to be aware of armor models as well as what you guns are capable of penetrating (which is good, better than HE) and overpenetrating (which is bad, far worse than HE). It's not simply a matter of getting close to use AP - depending on the target, AP can be better at long range where if it penetrates something, it's less likely to have the momentum to overpen. This is especially the case against large DDs and soft cruisers like t5+ Germans. It really depends on your guns, the ship's armor and the trajectory of the shell. You can't break out graphs and charts every time you aim but you get the hang of it the more practice you get with the same guns.

Against BBs, the simple thing to be aware of is which ones have a nice chunky upper plate, usually just 25mms. Just look at New Mexico, that's a great example of a nice, big, crunchy upper plate that many mid-caliber guns can abuse. Then look at Bayern, if you shoot the same general location your shells will bounce all day. If you're close enough to aim precisely, use AP on its bow; otherwise, spam HE since the center of mass of the ship is just too tough to make AP spam effective. But most BBs do have the upper plate to varying degrees. Overall though, if you stick with US cruisers, you're going to have slow 150mm shells until pretty late, so HE-spam is advised against most targets at most ranges.