NikeAjax1

Newbie says 'Thanks'

27 comments in this topic

Players
10 posts

As a new player to 'World of Warships' (started this week) just wanted to say thanks to all that have posted hint/tips and strategies, officially and through other related forums.

It's a bit of a learning curve getting to grips with ship selection, navigating, maneuvering, targeting, avoidance, tactics and assimilation of information.

Have made all the usual noob mistakes: (mostly on Random Battles)

1. Scuttling over to one side of the map to aid a 'friend' and then getting bounced by an unseen CL/DD combo

2. Concentrating too much in 'binocular view' : pounding an enemy and burying the nose in an island or not realising that the DD I'm fixated on isn't trying to ram me just getting close enough to  release its torpedoes (takes a lot to knock out a DD)

3. Accidently hitting a 'couple of friendlies' while in-fight (sorry whoever you were)

4. Difficulty controlling WASD while in-fight - use autopilot at start of play to navigate but has to be aborted when seeking an attack or defence, would be nice to program in a zig-zag when fighting. 

5. Trying to slew binocular view 180 deg while being attacked from two sides. 

6. Not taking advantage of cover - probably need to apply a bit of WoW Tank tactics

7. Not being aware of the comms calls while in-fight and not knowing which 'F' button to press - too busy.  

I'm getting  there slowly and know what to focus on - having fun in the process.

Think a second screen (for binocular view only), joystick control and rudder pedals might be an interesting option!

Looking forward one day to perhaps seeing a line of UK CV's? (Had an uncle on HMS Indomitable)      

:cap_fainting:

Edited by NikeAjax1
Item 4. expansion
  • Cool 10

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,235 posts
7,078 battles

Welcome to the Forums!

Feel free to ask here if you have questions to get personal feedback and Tips on very specific situations.

There are helpful players roaming these Forums around the clock, that will give you swift answers any time of the day.

Nice to see you are interested in improving. (Which makes you already better that a good 40% of all players)

Jeah we have been all there and done those noobmistakes. :cap_haloween:

1. Yes stay on your side unless the situation calls for a change of flank.

2. Jeah I know what you mean. :Smile_teethhappy:

3. Will solve themselve if you take more notice to point 2. Also please don't torpedo from secound line (with friendlies you can possibly hit) unless taking a calculated risk to help the team if the possible reward is apropiate like sinking a full HP top Tier BB with little risk to the friendly.

4. you will get there. It is amazing though you actualy came to the idea to change course while in a gunfight. most Newbies (and later Noobs) just don't bother and sail in a straight line.

5. Jeah always deactivate binocular when changing targets and always focus on the one ship that is the most dangerous first instead of switching for and back between them.

6. Please. Don't. Unless you play certain cruisers like Cleveland that are build around island lobbing you shouldn't do that too excessively. Yes use islands as cover if needed but try to avoid camping behind them.

7. You can als press and hold "B" (default setting) and move your mouse to the apropiate command and then release B. This way you don't have to renember all the F commands unless you already know them.

Have fun playing the game and again come back if you have questions. ;D

Cheers!:Smile_great:

P.S. UK CVs aren't even announced yet to be in development so don't hold your breath on those but they might come eventualy. :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

Players
1,365 posts
14,165 battles
53 minutes ago, NikeAjax1 said:

5. Trying to slew binocular view 180 deg while being attacked from two sides.

You can go in and out of bino view with the Shift key. You can hold your right mouse button to look around, when you release the button your view will come back to where you originally aimed at. This way you can keep shooting while looking around.

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,334 battles
42 minutes ago, Ze_Reckless said:

You can go in and out of bino view with the Shift key. You can hold your right mouse button to look around, when you release the button your view will come back to where you originally aimed at. This way you can keep shooting while looking around.

And by firstly aim your guns to the side that you want them to be when for example turning 180 degrees, you can "pre-turn" your turrets. So, your guns are in right side, but you want to turn your left side out, first turn your turret aim to left, then, push right mouse button (hold it) and continue manouvering. When you get your ship turned to the other way, your turrets are way more traversed (if not completely). The slower the turret traverse is, the more this helps. This way you are able to look around when making the turn and make the turrets turn at the same time.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
1 hour ago, NikeAjax1 said:

2. Concentrating too much in 'binocular view' : pounding an enemy and burying the nose in an island or not realising that the DD I'm fixated on isn't trying to ram me just getting close enough to  release its torpedoes (takes a lot to knock out a DD)

6. Not taking advantage of cover - probably need to apply a bit of WoW Tank tactics

Keep checking map frequenctly for location of enemies, especially destroyers and last spotted positions.

Also when knowing handling of ship really well you can drive by map.

And when you try DD you'll find very different experience for their ability to take hits...

Remember different maneuverability of ship vs tank.

And especially for battleships this is relevant:

Unless at lower hp or there simply isn't any chance of any incoming damage for some time single fire should be allowed to burn as their damage is 100% healable.

Again flooding does quite fast damage.

Though not that cruisers should use damage control if still exposed to HE spam.

Players
10 posts

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I have 'marathoned' a few games over the weekend and learned a lot more.   

Still having trouble in getting the mouse to swing the guns round when I'm heading toward another enemy after finishing off one in the opposite direction. Will need to practice the tips above..

Playing with various size vessels but having most fun with the 'Mucky Duck' (Black Swan) and Hashidate - it's a little like sword fencing.

Tried out a 'Bellerophon' and found the best way to use it is as a heavy club. The range is limited on the version I am using, less than 12k, so can't sit at the back and pick off victims sadly... 

Found using torpedoes a little hard to use but getting there with help[ from tutorial. It's a little tricky as you have to get in quite close and I'm usually using guns for that - then have to swap views and maneuver to get the torpedo angles right etc. I haven't figured out if automatic gun controls will help... but I'm normally hit by a torpedo bomber I hadn't noticed at that point. I don't think torpedoes are for me - yet. Too busy dodging  shells and other torpedoes (including own team's) and trying out my marksmanship to bother with them. 

Most of the low tier game maps are repetitive which has helped in assessing tactics. Steaming up to an Island with ambush in mind can work quite well - especially when you know where the enemy are spawning, although I sometimes found myself bushwhacked  because I was overly concentrating in bino mode (again) - plus I have found that some enemy vessels can sneak up behind you very quickly and are not seemingly visible when doing so.

I also keep accidentally using Q & E rather than A & D so get a bit annoyed when I'm angling off in bino mode to try and get all guns to bear on a cruiser then find myself suddenly chasing my tail or heading up the beach. Too much bino mode! 

One or two enemies seem to think that by threatening to ram will cause me to run away - I ram back usually forgetting I'm not in a cruiser!

Only 'other' problem is buying doubloons - bought some on Saturday and payment cleared but still waiting...will email the nice folks at Wargaming.

Cheers!

G46

[CR-S]
Players
316 posts
17,582 battles
On 4/13/2018 at 2:59 PM, NikeAjax1 said:

the usual noob mistakes: (...) burying the nose in an island

So you "pulled a Notser" - that´s not reserved for newbies only :Smile_teethhappy:

On 4/13/2018 at 2:59 PM, NikeAjax1 said:

I'm getting  there slowly and know what to focus on - having fun in the process.

Perfect! Keep it up :Smile_honoring:

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
3 hours ago, NikeAjax1 said:

Found using torpedoes a little hard to use but getting there with help[ from tutorial. It's a little tricky as you have to get in quite close and I'm usually using guns for that - then have to swap views and maneuver to get the torpedo angles right etc.

Unless you're already spotted you usually don't want to fire your guns in destroyer and alert target.

Because you want to keep target sailing in straight line at steady speed for torps to hit.

IJN destroyers have good torpedo range from start so at least against pushing in enemy you can fire them without getting spotted and warning any competent enemy about incoming torps.

Same applies to shorter torp range destroyers when launching them at enemy coming past island.

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles

I have learned so much here . thanks to all 

Beta Tester
1,820 posts
2,546 battles

Here's some friendly advice for you, and indeed anyone else that might be reading this: Situational Awareness, it is not just a captain's skill/crew skill.

It is the single most important thing to have in this game as a player, and extremely usefull in rl too while we're at it.

Players
10 posts

Thanks to all those above for the advice.  

OK, quick update after two weeks of play - mostly Co-op, as I get too quickly taken out otherwise...  

I use the various vessels in different ways and am learning the best way of handling each of them: it's like tools in a tool box, some things are handled a different way to others..   

Situational awareness works on a 1-10 basis, where 1 isn't so important and 10 is life or death. I have a real issue with the 'torpedo boats' - especially on a 'one on one' with another torpedo boat. I have recently been using mine aggressively but am often spotted first by another torpedo boat who starts shooting,  this immediately makes me take my eye off the ball as I switch from torpedoes to guns as I'm too far away or at the wrong angle to launch torpedoes: the net result is I get a few good hits as he gets close but of course he's previously launched his torpedoes as soon as he saw me; too late to spot / act and that's it: - toast. 

I did get into a dogfight with another torpedo boat last night: we went round and round in circles, making smoke, firing torpedoes, avoiding islands, firing guns, switching back to torpedoes, making ore smoke it was a really desperate situation then a cruiser from 'our' green side just blundered in as I launched a salvo and got the cruiser - my bad. If the cruiser had noticed what was happening and had supported with a few shots it would have been useful.

I used to hang back a bit with the 'Torpedo boat' and wait and see who needed help and rush over to assist but I notice this isn't really a team game and also while I am happily launching torpedo attacks a number of torpedoes will miss and go on to hit another member of the 'green team'. It happened accidentally a couple of times - so now I just go as fast as I can at the outset into an area where I think the enemy will spawn, lay a few lines of torpedoes and wait for something to happen  - usually it's me getting toasted by a cruiser I haven't seen behind me! Of course in a team game I would expect there to be tactics where the vessels were defensively or offensively layered.        

More practice...........

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,225 posts
5,868 battles

-snip-

One thing I'd like to add as an advice: If you can sacrifice around 5 FPS (if your PC is good enough for that) you might want to enable replays on your WoWs. Once you do that, every battle you play will be saved in the "replays" folder (with each of the replays being around 1-2mb in size). This way, if you ever run into any problems, you can upload the replays to allow others to help you more easily.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
5 hours ago, NikeAjax1 said:

Situational awareness works on a 1-10 basis, where 1 isn't so important and 10 is life or death. I have a real issue with the 'torpedo boats' - especially on a 'one on one' with another torpedo boat. I have recently been using mine aggressively but am often spotted first by another torpedo boat who starts shooting,  this immediately makes me take my eye off the ball as I switch from torpedoes to guns as I'm too far away or at the wrong angle to launch torpedoes: the net result is I get a few good hits as he gets close but of course he's previously launched his torpedoes as soon as he saw me; too late to spot / act and that's it: - toast.

Rule number one of every destroyer is to engage enemy only when you have advantage.

Especially in torpedo boat with low "shell output"/DPM of guns you should engage only enemy destroyers at lower hp.

And even in gunboat chasing torpedo boat should be done when enemy doesn't have good support.

In general in torpedo boat you're better of spotting enemy destroyer for team.

Though if enemy is alone you can fire at him while turning away to try to make him chase you:

That way you have easier time in leading shots while increasing distance to other enemies who might shoot at you.

While that enemy has harder time in hitting you and might run close to your team.

That turn away also throws off aim of any torps enemy might have fired at you, if they even anymore have range to reach your new course.

Keeping straight lining while waiting for guns to turn is worst of all.

It has the highest risk of driving into torps while enemy has free shots at you.

And if you have every time guns facing to completely wrong direction you need to improve planning ahead.

Most of the time it's very easy to deduce general direction from which enemy comes.

Having escape routes thought ahead is part of that planning.

Having maneuvering room also gives chance to turn guns by turning ship, ideally into that escape route to prevent enemy from getting close.

Players
10 posts

Thanks for the tips above, I came to the conclusion that there are only two ways to play this game, the right way and the wrong way. The wrong way also includes getting it half-right. 

As there isn't any team involvement here the idea of spotting for your side doesn't really come into it as there isn't anyone to spot for - I have been in a situation several times where I have been detecting other vessels but with no-one in the are interested in taking on the other side. A couple of times (as a destroyer) I have let the CC's take out the enemy DD's first then I am happy to wade in and assist with attacking CC's /BB's.  

The worst combination (as a DD) appears to be when two enemy CC's are working in support of each other with a DD out front. Again, as there isn't any team tactics countering this threat is more by luck than judgement with the resultant loss of a couple of CC's on our side but usually with one dead DD and one and a half dead CC's on the other.  

As a BB player it's quite satisfying sitting a little further back watching the game unfold and acting in support as needed. It is also very pleasant taking out enemy CC's with (albeit several) well aimed broadsides when they get too nosy.

Haven't found the best way to get at CV's as yet - even steaming full speed to the opposite side of the map at game spawn doesn't get me close enough - too many people get in the way!

I'll stop here as I have enough tips and hints to work on, but I might come back in a  couple of thousand games to update.

Fair seas!

Players
3 posts
2,834 battles

Update: I have had so much fun since I started getting my head around this.

I'm still making silly mistakes but usually realise what I've done just before the torps strike, so seeing them coming rather than wondering what the bang was!

I need to review some of the tutorials as I don't believe I am performing as well as I could be. 

Is there anyone who could have a quick look at my stats and maybe make a few suggestions? See if there is something I could be focusing on that might improve things?  

I'm not currently looking at the 'human resource' areas of the Commanders I have, as I will delve into that a little later and this last week I have been concentrating on T5 battles with my 'slow motion' BB - which is a marked change from battles with the 'speedy', but usually short lived Tenryu!

Any suggestions welcome. Sorry, should add my playing  name is G46

[NED]
Players
4,022 posts
10,901 battles
On 8/14/2018 at 5:00 PM, G46 said:

Update: I have had so much fun since I started getting my head around this.

I'm still making silly mistakes but usually realise what I've done just before the torps strike, so seeing them coming rather than wondering what the bang was!

I need to review some of the tutorials as I don't believe I am performing as well as I could be. 

Is there anyone who could have a quick look at my stats and maybe make a few suggestions? See if there is something I could be focusing on that might improve things?  

I'm not currently looking at the 'human resource' areas of the Commanders I have, as I will delve into that a little later and this last week I have been concentrating on T5 battles with my 'slow motion' BB - which is a marked change from battles with the 'speedy', but usually short lived Tenryu!

Any suggestions welcome. Sorry, should add my playing  name is G46

As far as my stat interpretation goes I'd say you have built up a lot of coop experience. In itself that's a good thing: it'll learn you the finesses of controlling the ships. However seeing your Random stats I'd say you rush into the action too quickly. Coop bots behave quite predictable. Randoms are (mostly) real humans who behave completely different. In coop you're being "forgiven" mistakes which will be punished without mercy in Randoms.
My advice: keep going in Randoms. You need to build up lots more experience. I also recommend playing a BB game or 2 in time. Just to get to know that ship even if it isn't your piece of cake. Yes, keep playing aggressive but put it 1 gear lower. Rushing in, getting wasted in the first 4 minutes quickly grows old and you're not helping your team with that.

Players
10 posts

Hi Ferry_25, many thanks for your suggestions - I guess I knew I was stuck in the comfort zone with Coop (most of the time). I noticed my lower Tier stats were getting away from me so I have pegged these and have been concentrating more on my T IV Orion BB.  

Orion is backstop, underpinning the CC's which cover the DD's (with longer range sniping and AA) but as few 'greens' seem to be in a group or clan there isn't much Coop-eration.  

On my first few tries with Random I found it very dispiriting, it seems it is vital to join a team but that's not something I am interested in. Using Orion is a bit like playing chess, it is pretty ponderous and the gun loading times are appallingly slow but the secondaries and AA are quite good.

Cheers - I'll come back after a couple of thousand Random games.  

Players
10 posts

OK who's idea was it to play 'Random'?

Tried a few games yesterday and ended up getting horrendously zapped. It is so totally different from Co-Op that it should be classed as a game in its own right. The only similarities are the fact that you have a boat (or a kitchen collander after five minutes) and its medium is water.

What's with the Klingon Bird of Pray cloaking devices? How can something as big as a BB 3 km's away simply disappear then reappear 10 kms away in  30 secs??

As for following the command of 'Capture Area A', OK I'll help the other two BB's capture A, oh wait, I'm attacking one of the three CC's in the area and the other two have run away - nice one guys, why don't you frag the noob at the same time?!

...And smart arse comments from some jackass, after I have killed a DD and CC in my CC and I'm down to 868 points and heading for a nearby island to repair, heal and re-think the strategy; what do I get? : 'Hey don't hide behind the island!' Well f**k you whoever you were, last time I bother saving your 'little mermaids' precious little asses.

I thought I had blacklisted most of the a**holes out there but there is a whole new set to choose from!

[W-C]
2,225 posts
5,868 battles
41 minutes ago, NikeAjax1 said:

Tried a few games yesterday and ended up getting horrendously zapped. It is so totally different from Co-Op that it should be classed as a game in its own right. The only similarities are the fact that you have a boat (or a kitchen collander after five minutes) and its medium is water.

Players aren't as stupid as bots, therefore you have to adapt aswell.

How can something as big as a BB 3 km's away simply disappear then reappear 10 kms away in  30 secs??

It doesn't, but since I know what you meant I'll answer all the same. (some) Players (unlike bots) know how to use their concealment to their advantage. Why would a destroyer want to be spotted if they can stay invisible and torp enemy battleships? Not firing your guns in right situations is also a skill. Master it or don't complain about it.

Bots always rush in headlessly and always fire their guns, players do not.

As for following the command of 'Capture Area A', OK I'll help the other two BB's capture A, oh wait, I'm attacking one of the three CC's in the area and the other two have run away - nice one guys, why don't you frag the noob at the same time?!

Don't always follow every command of the players. Use your brain and only do it when it makes sense to do it. At lower tiers you can expect other players to be just as clueless as you when it comes to the game (and no, that wasn't an insult), so don't take everything literally.

And smart arse comments from some jackass, after I have killed a DD and CC in my CC and I'm down to 868 points and heading for a nearby island to repair, heal and re-think the strategy; what do I get? : 'Hey don't hide behind the island!' Well f**k you whoever you were, last time I bother saving your 'little mermaids' precious little asses.

Take a sip of "calm your arse down" and think for a bit. You're on the internet...a place where people are mean. If you can't handle some insults mute the player and be done with it (or better yet, make fun of them...this is what I do), or in the case of really disturbing insults, take a screenshot and report the player to WG.

You can't seriously believe that players (on average at least) in random battles are going to be easier to beat than some pre programed computer guided bots.

Players
10 posts

domen3 - many thanks for your comments - stepping back has helped.

I tried Random again on Saturday but really didn't understand what was happening, became extremely frustrated and rather than throw the pc out of the window quit and went back to Co-Op to chill out.

In the Random game after an initial move forward, presumably into known ambush positions, nothing much happened other than people screaming at each other (metaphorically) to 'Get Back! There was no cohesive effort in teaming up to counter any threat - some people moved forward, fired a few shots than moved back - the end result was 'our' team was scattered over the chart and picked off quite easily by a phalanx of enemy ships that knew exactly what they were doing.

I have come to the conclusion that the only real way to play 'Random' is professionally* - and although that might be quite satisfying it's not for me.

(*Form a clan / group, obtain intelligence on each game scenario, identify appropriate tactics and counter tactics relevant to the capability of each vessel and player and objectives and organise effective communication - and practice) 

[W-C]
2,225 posts
5,868 battles

(*Form a clan / group, obtain intelligence on each game scenario, identify appropriate tactics and counter tactics relevant to the capability of each vessel and player and objectives and organise effective communication - and practice) 

Yeah, this is something I forgot to mention....divisions make everything easier and more fun. Find a clan that is willing to offer a helping hand and you'll be able to carry many random games.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,562 posts
5,045 battles
On 8/28/2018 at 9:07 AM, NikeAjax1 said:

I tried Random again on Saturday but really didn't understand what was happening, became extremely frustrated and rather than throw the pc out of the window quit and went back to Co-Op to chill out.

Randoms is very different to coop (although the differences should be shifting a bit now, with the updated AI on the bots); I can't see your stats, so I don't know which ships you're playing, but in general, it's often sensible to drop a tier or two in randoms, compared to what you might be playing in coop.

Apart from a few seal-clubbers (or not, depending on your battle count - very inexperienced players get protected MM), most people playing lower tiers will have a moderately low level of experience, and will provide more reasonable opposition. Plus, up to and including T4, you get +1 MM i.e. the worst you'll face is enemy ships one tier higher than you. I personally think T4 is a pretty decent learning tier - besides the MM, you're starting to get ships that begin to show the 'flavour' of their respective trees, so you can start to hone your technique in a fairly benign environment.

It is worth persisting with randoms though, at least a bit, as the rewards are so much greater than in coop (although there are players who play almost exclusively coop). As others have said, perhaps join one of the 'teaching' clans and/or see if you can connect with a more experienced player, who can provide you with some pointers. If you don't want to spend money, a good use for coop is to grind the more essential upgrades for new ships, before venturing out into randoms - that way you aren't fighting real people with an excessively gimped ship.

If you haven't already, read this: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships There's a wealth of information (most of it reasonably accurate) on all the ships in the game, and how the various mechanics work. Personally, I've not read it end-to-end, but it is my first port of call when I don't understand/can't remember something.

Players
10 posts

Many thanks for the supportive comments - I feel like I'm always bitching about something on here but glad to know there are so many level headed people to help with logical solutions - I take onboard all the comments and I am very grateful.

Clans: Divisions: Sadly I don't take kindly to being ordered around by those that think they know what they are doing as often they do not. Also I would expect them to be a bit 'cliquey'. If I was to join a clan it would have to be one that was successful and professional, but of course they would already be at the top of the league and wouldn't want untried players - unless  they had a recruitment process.

Having said that - something weird happened last night: I was trying to restore my confidence and faith in human nature (and boost my ego) by playing a Tier 4 BB game on CO-op, we were scorched by a formation of bots who where very accurate and very tactical. I noticed one at 10k that was actually weaving quite a bit between its salvoes, I've known them to do this a bit but this one seemed more focused than usual - after some very accurate strikes from 'it' I thought I'd fall back but fell foul to an ambush. Wasn't just me - they wiped the floor with us - it isn't often that has happened. The only thing missing were the bots exchanging 'Exterminate!' messages. 

Feeling a bit depressed I played a Tier 1 game - same thing. I normally sink a couple of boats while trading shots but after I sank one I'd suffered so many hits I was 'critical' - it was like I had strayed into some kind of 'Random' game: we were all wiped out - again.  This repeated itself for four or five games in a row in different Tiers, in different boats, we lost every game - even when we tried some kind of unspoken strategy, which mainly consisted of huddling together for mutual support. I gave up playing in the end as I didn't wan't to lose another game. 

Has someone on the tech side come back from hols and turned up 'evil' to '11' on Co-op???  If this carries on I may well go back to 'Random' and get scorched for the extra points         

[SM0KE]
Players
1,562 posts
5,045 battles

Has someone on the tech side come back from hols and turned up 'evil' to '11' on Co-op???  If this carries on I may well go back to 'Random' and get scorched for the extra points         

This was what I was alluding to with my 'updated AI' comment - I haven't played coop since the last patch, but one of the recent changes was to how the bots behave. Supposedly, they now play less 'dumb' than previously; hopefully, this should be a change for the better, although it may remove the possibility of using coop as an easy mode to burn off accidental pinks and/or just chill out a bit.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,562 posts
5,045 battles

Clans: Divisions: Sadly I don't take kindly to being ordered around by those that think they know what they are doing as often they do not. Also I would expect them to be a bit 'cliquey'. If I was to join a clan it would have to be one that was successful and professional, but of course they would already be at the top of the league and wouldn't want untried players - unless  they had a recruitment process.

I doubt very much that all clans are the same.

I gather there are a number of 'training' clans out there; if they're even remotely worthy of the name, they should be able to help teach you a few things.

If you want to asses how good (or not) someone is, just look them up on the WOWS webpage; if they haven't hidden their stats, you'll be able to see how good they are, and in which ships, and so on. This is me, for example: https://worldofwarships.eu/en/community/accounts/526131254-Verblonde/!/pvp/overview/ - I clearly suck (47.89% WR - eurgh!), play far more DDs than anything else (62.08% of battles at time of writing), play an average tier of 6.5, have far too many premiums, and so on...

It might be worth investigating voice comms: using typed chat, it's quite hard to get ideas across with any degree of nuance. If you find a good teacher, it'll be much easier to understand the 'why' of instructions; for example, there is at least one map I can think of (can't remember the name) where one particular cap is death if approached from the side your team spawns on - I've almost given up trying to tell people to avoid that cap initially, because people always ignore the "don't go there" type of typed message, whereas something properly explained might have more impact. Personally, I'd rather get on with playing than waste my time typing; things might be different with voice comms.