You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PziCrow

G. Kurfurst detectability range

8 comments in this topic

Question

[BACA]
Players
63 posts
6,399 battles

Is it a bug or intentional, that the air detection range of the G. Kurfurst is higher than sea detection range?

No other ship has this peculiarity and the sea detection range even goes beyond the ships firing range after shooting.

GK det. range.jpg

7 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,570 posts
6,396 battles
2 hours ago, PziCrow said:

Is it a bug or intentional, that the air detection range of the G. Kurfurst is higher than sea detection range?

Yes it's normal.

Also while captain skill and module reduces both detectabilities (you are running neither of those), camo (which you are using) reduces only surface one

No other ship has this peculiarity

Ever heard of RN BBs?

the sea detection range even goes beyond the ships firing range after shooting.

No it doesn't. You clearly can see 20.6km detectability after firing, and GK has 20.6km firing range

How you get that detectability go past your firing range is:

1. Spotter plane in the air (increases your firing range, and with that - how far you can be detected)
    • With it range & detectability goes up to 24.73km
  2. That same spotter plane about to time out (less than 20s duration remaining)
  3. You fire your main guns
  4. Now you are spotted at the distance as if you had plane in the air, but your plane has landed so for a few seconds (up to 19.9s depending on how close to the spotter timing out you were) your detectability outranges your firing range

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,207 posts
11,015 battles

It's not a bug, and there are actually other ships with higher air detectability than surface detectability: Kaga, Independence, Saipan and probably some more, but I'm not gonna look them all up ^^

Though it doesn't make any difference for all ships with air det. over 11km as planes can only see and spot ships at 11km.

[BACA]
Players
63 posts
6,399 battles

Ah ok, thanks :D

Totally missed those ships... I'm blinded by the fires apparently :P

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,570 posts
6,396 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Though it doesn't make any difference for all ships with air det. over 11km as planes can only see and spot ships at 11km.

Catapult Spotters (with the exception of Perth - that one is bugged or something) have 15km view range unlike unlike all other plane 11km:cap_like:

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,207 posts
11,015 battles
Vor 5 Minuten, wilkatis_LV sagte:

Catapult Spotters (with the exception of Perth - that one is bugged or something) have 15km view range unlike unlike all other plane 11km:cap_like:

Really? I never heard of this and Wiki says 11km too. Do you have any reliable sources for this?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection#View_range (Second paragraph)

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,570 posts
6,396 battles
22 minutes ago, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Really? I never heard of this and Wiki says 11km too. Do you have any reliable sources for this?

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection#View_range (Second paragraph)

Wiki's wrong on like 3/4 of the stuff it has in it :Smile_trollface:

It's pretty easy to test, here's a post I made after 1st discovering it:

That "Perth is still at 11km - bugged or something" part comes from Strangers123, as I don't own one. Afaik that's the only ship with a 11km vision spotter, but there might be a few more, not going to exclude that possibility.

Hence also my comment that "people constantly fail to abuse Conquerors air detectability" - your spotter plane will see the Conq well before you can see him (those 300m spotting distance + your plane doing about 4-ish km radius lap around you)

Edit: going by the 4.2km radius I had in that post and if I remember correctly the "10s takeoff - 90s lap" of a spotter plane that would mean that the spotter plane can spot the Conq before you can for about 47.1s of that 90s lap:cap_like:

[BACA]
Players
63 posts
6,399 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:
5 hours ago, PziCrow said:

the sea detection range even goes beyond the ships firing range after shooting.

No it doesn't. You clearly can see 20.6km detectability after firing, and GK has 20.6km firing range

Ah yea, I meant air detection, but nevermind ;)

As I also wrote, I was blinded by the fire, meaning I apparently missed that a lot of other ships had this aswell, because I got frustrated.

• Cool 1