Beltalowda

Need help - GPU acting funny

16 comments in this topic

Question

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,146 battles

Hi everyone,

I'll try to explain my problem and hopefully some of you will have an answer.

I took apart my desktop PC, it was kinda dusty and running a bit slow, so I gave it a good clean and put it all back again. I also added one extra SSD 250GB and one other HDD 500GB. In total I have 5 hard drives of which two of them are SSD. 

Now to the problem I am having, when I try to run WoWs in my original resolution 1920x1080 Full Screen, my screen goes black, I hear that windows sound (like bing) and then I can still hear the game running in a background, but I have to turn the PC off and turn it back on again, because my PC is unresponsive. When I try 1920x1080 Windowed, borderless the game is running, just fine. (God knows how long that will last).

WoT is running just fine while keeping my original 1920x1080, I also tried Rome 2 some Historical battle with a lot objects and no crashes at all. I downloaded FunMark to test the GPU for some fishy stuff and the program is running, but if I choose any bigger resolution then 1900+ my screen goes black like in WoWs and I have to turn the PC off and on again. (This might be because of my monitor does not support higher res then 1920x1080 would be my guess).

Today I even cleaned the GPU, put the new paste on the chip, screw it back together, but it still acting funny only while trying to play WoWs. I am out of ideas and i don't want to be buying new card just now, I am quite happy with my build and it's been running very well for 4 Years now.

Here is the build:

i don't know much about this stuff, most of my knowledge comes from google and that's it.

I have Asus GPU tweak utility program, but I don't know how overclocking works so I am afraid to touch it and ever since I got this PC it's on Profile 1, which is GPU Boost Clock (Mhz) 1085, Memory Clock (Mhz) 5400, Fan Speed(%) 22.

Could it be that I have way too many HDD's and PCU is not powerful enough for all the stuff connected to my PC ? Or is it something else, and could anyone help me to solve this problem ?

Please help.

settings.jpg

GPU Tweak.jpg

15 answers to this question

[SCRUB]
Players
6,903 posts
9,129 battles

Just to make sure, you were running WoWs with the same setup before and it worked, right?

The mainboard beeping is typically an indication of a hardware problem though. Since other games are running fine though it shouldn't be something drastic like GPU overheating or something like that.

Do you have a monitor with integrated speakers per chance? Maybe that beep you get at game launch isn't the mainboard signaling a hardware issue but the monitor acting up (check the cable connection and/or power down the PC, then plug the monitor from everything, let it rest for a couple minutes to let its internal chipset reset/powercycle and then plug it back in, that can help fix the occasional glitch).

If that doesn't work, the easiest way to troubleshoot potential GPU problems would be to do a clean driver install (use DDU to make sure to get rid of all old drivers) to make sure no corrupted drivers are causing the issue (if you updated any software whilst doing the clean-up, that's a good idea to do for anything you've changed). You mentioned overclocking as something you're not familiar with, so did your GPU perchance came with a factory overclock? If so you must've installed a program that also came with an OC profile. Could be that profile got corrupted. If you still have the installation disc for the GPU drivers as they came, you could try reinstalling those. Some overclocked GPUs come with a modified BIOS and if that's acting up it can cause issues like black screens, in that case you could look for a BIOS update. Some GPUs come with a physical BIOS switch on the AIB itself, maybe you accidentally switched that as you cleaned your PC (though I somehow doubt an entry-level GPU would have something fancy like that). Alternatively you can completely uninstall the GPU Tweak and let the GPU run on stock frequency.

If that also doesn't work, check the game integrity (you can do that via the game launcher).

It's also possible that the game is acting up due to graphics settings. First thing I'd try is deleting your preferences.xml file on your WoWs directory, then start the game. It should launch the game with the default settings so if any funky graphic settings were causing the blackscreen, that could help. If the black screen comes back after reinstating your old settings, just delete the file again and file a ticket with Support for help.

As a last resort you can also to a complete reinstall of the game itself (if you're certain that it's the game acting up and not your PC). If THAT doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,146 battles
30 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Just to make sure, you were running WoWs with the same setup before and it worked, right?

Yes, the same set up and it worked like a charm.

The mainboard beeping is typically an indication of a hardware problem though. Since other games are running fine though it shouldn't be something drastic like GPU overheating or something like that.

No, that is not the MB beeping, it's the Windows sound when something stops working and you'll get a window bla bla stopped working etc.

Do you have a monitor with integrated speakers per chance? Maybe that beep you get at start-up isn't the mainboard signaling a hardware issue but the monitor acting up (check the cable connection and/or power down the PC, then plug the monitor from everything, let it rest for a couple minutes to let its internal chipset reset/powercycle and then plug it back in, that can help fix the occasional glitch).

I think this monitor has got some speakers, but I am not using them at all, I got external one's. I'll try unplug the cables and leave it for a while before plug it back in.

If that doesn't work, the easiest way to troubleshoot potential GPU problems would be to do a clean driver install to make sure no corrupted drivers are causing the issue (if you updated any software whilst doing the clean-up, that's a good idea to do for anything you've changed).

I did clean install of drivers, but I have for some reasons two NVidia folders, one with drivers and one with geforce experience. I'll try uninstalling it in a safe mode and do a clean install again. 

You mentioned overclocking as something you're not familiar with, so did your GPU perchance came with a factory overclock?

Not sure about that, I did install the stuff on a CD my GPU came up with and that was this Asus GPU Tweak utilityl. but that was a years ago.

If so you must've installed a program that also came with an OC profile. Could be that profile got corrupted. If you still have the installation disc for the GPU drivers as they came, you could try reinstalling those. Some overclocked GPUs come with a modified BIOS and if that's acting up it can cause issues like black screens. Some GPUs come with a physical BIOS switch on the AIB itself, maybe you accidentally switched that as you cleaned your PC (though I somehow doubt an entry-level GPU would have something fancy like that). Alternatively you can completely uninstall the GPU Tweak and let the GPU run on stock frequency

I can try that.

If that also doesn't work, check the game integrity (you can do that via the game launcher).

I did that, nothing came out wrong.

It's also possible that the game is acting up due to graphics settings. First thing I'd try is deleting your preferences.xml file on your WoWs directory, then start the game.

I was looking for this file, did not know what it's called or where it is. Now I know, thanks for that.

It should launch the game with the default settings so if any funky graphic settings were causing the blackscreen, that could help. If the black screen comes back after reinstating your old settings, just delete the file again and file a ticket with Support for help.

As a last resort you can also to a complete reinstall of the game itself (if you're certain that it's the game acting up and not your PC). If THAT doesn't help, I'm out of ideas.

Truly the last resort, but still better then buying a new GPU.

PS: I just had a few battles while using 1920x1080 windowed and the game is running fine. As soon as I switch to a full screen the game goes black. It's weird, gotta go to bed now. Thanks for suggestions anyway.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,903 posts
9,129 battles
2 minutes ago, TrewSx said:

I did clean install of drivers, but I have for some reasons two NVidia folders, one with drivers and one with geforce experience. I'll try uninstalling it in a safe mode and do a clean install again.

Unless you absolutely want Shadowplay, just uninstall GeForce Experience. I've personally had nothing but trouble with that (though for other reasons).

I recommend using Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall drivers before installing the new ones. Even when ticking clean installation during the GeForce drivers setup, they don't always get rid of all the files and that can pile up, causing problems.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts

Several things I'd recommend:

First, as Aotearas already mentioned, do a clean GPU driver install. Uninstall the old driver. Reboot the system with windows default driver. Then download the lates driver version for your GPU and install it. The game integritiy check is also a good option and something you should try. Those sound like most the promising solutions as it seems like the problem is with WoWs only.

If that doesn't work, try to connect the monitor differently if possible, to see if there might be a problem with the cable or port. You could try a different cable first. The order doesn't really matter. It is just to make sure that we are really looking at a hardware problem with the GPU or monitor or if it is something more simple.
It could also be an issue with one of your new drives. I had one SSD that appeard to be working fine. No errors at all when connected externally after bootup and then checked by various tools. But if you booted the system with it connected (no matter if internally or as an external drive in an USB case), the system just froze completly in the boot process. Please try to disconnect them one after the other and see what happens.

Did you try to take a look at your systems error protocols? You can filter them by errors and warnings. Warnings are usually not relevant in such a case, so only look for errors. Are there any in relation to WoWs or your GPU?

And whenever someone who is telling me s/he performed a physical system cleaning for the first time I'll have to ask: What tools did you use for it? Please list all of them.

The PSU should be powerfull enough to run a couple dozen harddrives more. Even if we consider ageing it isn't even remotely close to being stressed right now. And if Furmark and other games can run in the resolution then power is definatly not an issue. You should still check if all power connecters are properly in place and in working condition.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,903 posts
9,129 battles

To check the crash log for clues:

Open your Event Viewer, open the first filter and check the logs for critical errors (you might have to maximize the window to actually be able to read the log, because the window is bloody tiny and cramped).

Players
729 posts
11,468 battles

Well, your desktop's build looks similar to mine, except I use AMD instead of Intel and have a couple of extra cards installed. I haven't had a single black screen since I installed WoWS for the first time, although some crashes after updates forced me to reinstall it a couple of times. What OS do you have? Because the issue may lay on an API update that messes up with the game instead of being a GPU profile/driver problem. In any case, try what Aotearas said.

Here I describe the differences between your graphics configuration and mine (for full screen, not windowed):

• Neither antialiasing, vertical sync, buffering, small objects nor GUI contrast.
  • Texture filtering set to 4x.
  • Shadows, sea rendering, reflections and postprocessing set to high instead of higher values.
  • Aditional reflections and foliage set to medium.

Salute.

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,146 battles

Thanks for the suggestions, I am off to work so I will try them when I get home. And as for the tools I used, a brush to get rid of the dust and here is the amazon link for toolbox I bought for these things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0033MHUAA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I did this before, I mean the dust cleaning.

Players
939 posts
4,991 battles
9 hours ago, TrewSx said:

No, that is not the MB beeping, it's the Windows sound when something stops working and you'll get a window bla bla stopped working etc.

Your GPU driver is crashing and not recovering (hence why the screen goes black). Probably just some software issue because other games and Furmark would crash if it was hardware related. Remove the software overclock though, clean out the fans, check temperatures, re-install drivers, do a clean install if necessary. Otherwise just use windowed mode and see if next patch fixes it (what is the problem with that?).

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
8 minutes ago, walter3kurtz said:

Probably just some software issue because other games and Furmark would crash if it was hardware related.

Actually FurMark likely doesn't use many functions of GPU so some hardware weakness might slip through it.

Also drivers detect it and automatically throttle card and it doesn't cause max load/power draw.

So it requires more checking around/testing to exclude hardware problem.

10 hours ago, TrewSx said:

While not some fire/electric shock hazard like worst junks that's still standard cheap component PSU designed to fail.

So if you have lots of daily power on hours for PC would put that to list of parts to change inside year or two.

Cheap component PSUs simply aren't designed to reliably endure enthusiast PC use for long term.

[O_S]
Beta Tester
6 posts
4,992 battles

Hey

I sometimes have a similar issue with random games at random times. Screen goes black (not a laptop) with a "no signal" message on it, then it turns back on, then off... Only does that in fullscreen mode and alt-tabbing to the desktop fixes this until I get back in the game. That happens mostly after NVidia GPU updates. 

[EST]
[EST]
Players
688 posts
17,383 battles

Sometimes (pretty often) my game(wows) starts with "black" screen. Only mouse pointer can be seen but it looks like reso has gone to 640x480 and cant alt tab or anything, just reset button works.

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,146 battles

First things first, thank you everyone for pitching in with ideas how to go around my problem.

Secondly, I have no more black screens the problem is solved now. (Looks like it anyway, we'll see after some hard game session).

And now what I did to solve the problem. 

• I got rid of GeForce Experience
  • Deleted preferences.xml ( this one was the golden thing which probably made it work, too bad I did not make a screenshot of my settings before that :) )
  • Did the check integrity again
  • Slightly decreased the graphical settings as Estaca_de_Bares suggested
  • Ran 6 battles in a training room with a lot of ships and no hiccups at all

The game runs on a full screen like a charm again, I did not go for clean install of GPU drivers, because I did that two days ago so not really needed it I guess. Oh I tried to find drivers for my Samsung 24-inch Curved monitor and the closest thing was a 32 inch driver with a slightly different letters, anyway bad bad idea. For a while I thought my PC is going to explode when I tried to run the game and it went all black, not only my screen, but the whole damn PC with my confidence with it.

Oh well, Generic PnP will do, it worked so far so don't fix something which is not broken.

15 hours ago, EsaTuunanen said:

While not some fire/electric shock hazard like worst junks that's still standard cheap component PSU designed to fail.

So if you have lots of daily power on hours for PC would put that to list of parts to change inside year or two.

Cheap component PSUs simply aren't designed to reliably endure enthusiast PC use for long term.

This PSU is for 55£ and it has quite a good reviews, if this is cheap then what would you recommend ? I am not going to spend more then 80£ for PSU, not like I need a new one, but no one knows what the future holds so quickly looking at amazon I found this one I quite like. 

Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply Unit 

Good or bad ?

Anyway, thanks again everyone and good luck.

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts
7 hours ago, TrewSx said:

This PSU is for 55£ and it has quite a good reviews, if this is cheap then what would you recommend ? I am not going to spend more then 80£ for PSU, not like I need a new one, but no one knows what the future holds so quickly looking at amazon I found this one I quite like. 

Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply Unit 

Good or bad ?

Try this one instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073GY89G5/

It is a much better choice.

The PSU is the first and last line of defense against various forms of damage to your other components. Every component of your PC is connected to it. Going cheap on the PSU often results on more damage then necessary if there is a power related fault.

• Cool 1

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
8 hours ago, TrewSx said:

Oh I tried to find drivers for my Samsung 24-inch Curved monitor and the closest thing was a 32 inch driver with a slightly different letters

Display "drivers" really install mostly only that correct name/model of monitor data for OS and possible colour profile.

Colour profile is really important only if you do photography and for (more or less) sRGB gamut monitors it's even less important...

Lots of TVs with their default image "enhancement" processing look worser than movies on wide gamut monitor.

Very few reviewers pay attention to component quality, so Corsair has couple series riding on brand image.

Some CX models have even been clearly overspecced.

Lots of monitors and TVs also fail because they're built to do that with cheap capacitors.

In some models Samsung has basically designed break up timers by putting (heat sensitive) capacitors touching heatsink/some resistor to cook it up.

I would much rather have OK good performance, but high quality capacitors, than very good performance with cheap lower life/random quality capacitors.

And aim for low cooling noise just increases stress on cheap capacitors from higher ambient temperature.

For PC enthusiast use I would consider that Corsair CX reliable for something like 4-5 years.

(of course in hour, max two daily use could last lot longer, while in 24/7 use could wear faster)

For that level graphics card quality 450W PSU would be easily enough.

550W PSU is enough for most mainstream graphics card and 650W enough for many high end graphics cards

With exceptions being badly power hogging GPUs/heavily overclocked PCs.

BitFenix Formula is more affordable platform PSU with quality capacitors and at very good price in OcUK.

But for top performance Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is extremely competively priced.

Basically every single PSU made by Seasonic uses quality capacitors, so you know you're getting quality parts in them.

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro has same insides with semi-modular cabling, but often almost more expensive.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
27 posts
2,146 battles
3 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Try this one instead:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073GY89G5/

It is a much better choice.

Nice one, I like it. It's for 90£, but that's ok, I think I will get this one. And to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard of Seasonic before. :) There is a first time for everything, right ?

1 hour ago, EsaTuunanen said:

Display "drivers" really install mostly only that correct name/model of monitor data for OS and possible colour profile.

Colour profile is really important only if you do photography and for (more or less) sRGB gamut monitors it's even less important...

Lots of TVs with their default image "enhancement" processing look worser than movies on wide gamut monitor.

Very few reviewers pay attention to component quality, so Corsair has couple series riding on brand image.

Some CX models have even been clearly overspecced.

Lots of monitors and TVs also fail because they're built to do that with cheap capacitors.

In some models Samsung has basically designed break up timers by putting (heat sensitive) capacitors touching heatsink/some resistor to cook it up.

I would much rather have OK good performance, but high quality capacitors, than very good performance with cheap lower life/random quality capacitors.

And aim for low cooling noise just increases stress on cheap capacitors from higher ambient temperature.

For PC enthusiast use I would consider that Corsair CX reliable for something like 4-5 years.

(of course in hour, max two daily use could last lot longer, while in 24/7 use could wear faster)

For that level graphics card quality 450W PSU would be easily enough.

550W PSU is enough for most mainstream graphics card and 650W enough for many high end graphics cards

With exceptions being badly power hogging GPUs/heavily overclocked PCs.

BitFenix Formula is more affordable platform PSU with quality capacitors and at very good price in OcUK.

But for top performance Seasonic Focus Plus Gold is extremely competively priced.

Basically every single PSU made by Seasonic uses quality capacitors, so you know you're getting quality parts in them.

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro has same insides with semi-modular cabling, but often almost more expensive.

I rather spend more for a top quality then trying to go for a cheaper version to safe a few bucks. You both agreed on Seasonic being the best choice, so I will trust your opinions and go for the  Seasonic 650W. 

I don't think I could live without a PC, what would I do, read some books ? I mean I do that, but on my PC in PDF.

Sign in to follow this