Centurion_1711

HMS King George V - Ammo Choice?

14 comments in this topic

Players
365 posts
2,750 battles

Hi folks, 

I recently unlocked the KGV after a rather enjoyable grind with the Queen Elizabeth. One of the things I liked with the QE was that the AP was rather punchy, even enough to citadel a Tirpitz the once. However, the lack of speed was annoying at times.

So I hoped that the upgrade to the KGV would simply add armour and speed, while retaining good AP for the 14" guns (more modern, after all). However, I've played a couple of games now and the AP seems... inconsistent. A badly aimed salvo at a Lyon scored 6k damage, but the following volley at close range on a De Grasse scored 2k damage. Is this a L2P issue, and I simply can't aim, or is the 14" AP really that poor? I tend to fire AP as my primary ammo choice, switching to HE only for higher tier/angled BB's. I want to like this ship, so any advice would be great!

[O_S]
Beta Tester
6 posts
4,997 battles

Hey! 

You should enable "Detailled ribbons" in your game settings, I think in the Controls sub-menu. 

That way you will see exactly what happened with each shell. 

In the De Grasse case, I'm pretty sure that was an overpen. The shell goes through without hitting anything serious, happens a lot with BBs when shooting at light targets. 

Players
365 posts
2,750 battles
12 minutes ago, Couleurdebronze said:

Hey! 

You should enable "Detailled ribbons" in your game settings, I think in the Controls sub-menu. 

That way you will see exactly what happened with each shell. 

In the De Grasse case, I'm pretty sure that was an overpen. The shell goes through without hitting anything serious, happens a lot with BBs when shooting at light targets. 

Oh yeah, I have those ribbons on, it scored two overpens and a pen for no damage. It might just be my bad aim, or this AP stinks. Still, I'd like to know if HE would be a better option there, or should I just aim more carefully?

[O_S]
Beta Tester
6 posts
4,997 battles

If you want to score big damage, you need to hit between the first and last turrets, at the waterline level. But with KGV you can just spam HE shells, you'll do consistent damage and have high fire chances, which is the trademark of RN BBs. 

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

The AP on KGV is shockingly bad in my experience. HE is default ammo choice except in some very specific circumstances, but even then expect inconsistent results. I tried and eventually got lazy and stopped bothering to switch to AP. It's not the shells themselves, more the dispersion coupled with there being only 10 and the fact their penetration is in some ways too good and invites overpens. Lower tier cruisers, those you would expect to delete especially broadside, are much more reliably dealt with by HE. AP is mainly for farming damage on BB superstructure after they're on fire and turn broadside assuming you're not smart enough to switch ammo. You can really hurt T7/8 cruisers this way too but don't expect consistency unless your range is in single figures.

Also, as a cruiser player my biggest source of pain by RN BBs is HE smashing my steering repeatedly, to the point I would have seriously considered last stand on a lot of cruisers if the spam didn't move to French BBs. On that note KGV is great at crippling enemies for your team to finish but not so hot 1v1. Use the turret traverse to switch target a lot and take down DCPs. If you want to use AP, abuse the turret traverse to take pot-shots at easy unsuspecting targets.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
13,650 posts
10,389 battles

Have to agree with VC381 here. KGV is the first UK BB where AP should not be the default option.

I play her mostly HE exclusive and only change to AP vs broadside cruisers at sub 10km range.

Vs BB her shells detonate too quickly to do serious damage.

The premium version works fine with AP.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles
19 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The premium version works fine with AP.

Duke of York? Eh?! What's different about it?

[CATS]
Players
13,650 posts
10,389 battles

The AP shells have a different detonation timer.

Interesting fact: This also the difference between QE and Warspite AP shells, despite the fact that the shells have identical names.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,162 battles

But... shorter timer shouldn't make pen worse, just produce fewer overpens, no? Or are you saying the shells don't reach the citadel? Hood has a very short fuse and it's fantastic as a cruiser killer because of all the regular penetrations but KGV overpens all the time (Or at least I thought that was the problem).

Players
365 posts
2,750 battles
32 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The AP shells have a different detonation timer.

Interesting fact: This also the difference between QE and Warspite AP shells, despite the fact that the shells have identical names.

Yep: I guess WG want to force players into bad habits like not aiming at the waterline or just spamming HE.

20 minutes ago, VC381 said:

But... shorter timer shouldn't make pen worse, just produce fewer overpens, no? Or are you saying the shells don't reach the citadel? Hood has a very short fuse and it's fantastic as a cruiser killer because of all the regular penetrations but KGV overpens all the time (Or at least I thought that was the problem).

In real life, a shorter fuse delay should indeed make zero difference to penetration. All it should do is prevent plunging fire from reaching the citadel, as the shell detonates too soon. In the QE I noticed this against those trolly french cruiser spaced armour citadels. In the KGV I think I'm suffering from the eternal overpens against cruisers, but I'll have to test some more. It would be great if somebody had the penetration curves of the 14" and 15" guns for comparison.

In game I think the shells are modelled with some kind of faulty fuse: detonates too soon on thick armour, but fails to explode on thinner armour. Anyway, thanks for the advice on HE, I'll probably start using it more often (though I'm stubborn, so if you see me in my KGV I'll probably still be flinging AP your way! :Smile-_tongue:)

Oh, found a link for the penetration curves of the 14" and 15" RN naval guns. Turns out the 14-inchers are worse!

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,967 posts
5,449 battles

HE most of the time, AP flat broadside cruisers (tier V - VIII, not sure about tier IX), AP for flat broadside battleships (tier V - VII). 

KGV deletes cruisers with AP if they show you that broadside. Especially the lower tiers.

Beta Tester
1,813 posts
2,024 battles

There's this Flamu video where he states his opinion, that King George V is one ship where the choice of shell type in a given situation is more relevant than on most battleships. After having played a bunch of games in my KGV, I'm inclined to agree. I've had good results with bothe HE and AP, and I'm actually thinking about investing in the Expert Loader skill on her captain.

• Cool 2

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,885 posts

KGV is, together with Nelson, a ship that greatly benefits from the Expert Loader skill. Nelson by default an AP-ship, which can revert to HE when facing a DD or bow-on BB it can't overmatch. KGV is the other way around. I did tremendously well in her using HE only, only switching to AP (fast, via the Expert Loader) for ignorant BB's showing broadsides, or poor cruisers showing broadside.

Players
365 posts
2,750 battles

Ok then, once I've got CE I may invest in expert loader. In one game I had recently, I started with HE loaded, and naturally the first good target was a broadside Mogami. Took too ling to change to AP, but they sure felt it when I finally launched a salvo their way! Expert loader would have been a good help here.