2,223 posts
5,868 battles

Not if you're in the Yamato, Baltimore or a Des Moines

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles

13mm overmatch isn't going to help even against DD bows, that's true. At the same time superstructure is thin enough for your AP to still do serious dmg.

But as a general rule / idea - against angled targets you usually do use HE

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
5 hours ago, domen3 said:

Not if you're in the Yamato, Baltimore or a Des Moines

Or in a British CL (ish).

The thing is that German AP have very high penetration damage but the penetration values are garbage. So in general in German cruisers if the target even starts to remotely angle you are often best of just switching to HE. That being said as long as you do have a broadside you can cause serious damage even at long range.

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles

i have not played it but today i faced a Hindenburg with Mogami i was angled towards her .she just one shot me with AP !

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,992 battles
1 hour ago, Atorpad said:

i have not played it but today i faced a Hindenburg with Mogami i was angled towards her .she just one shot me with AP !

Then you were probably not as angled as you thought you were (or a detonation). The Hindenburg has really bad AP penetration, and will struggle to do meaningful damage to even angled tier 8 cruisers.

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles
2 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

Then you were probably not as angled as you thought you were (or a detonation). The Hindenburg has really bad AP penetration, and will struggle to do meaningful damage to even angled tier 8 cruisers.

i dont know !!! at least i thought had good angle ( only 2 of front guns could fire at her) !!! it was 2 or 3 citadel hits!!!

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,329 battles
12 hours ago, Atorpad said:

i dont know !!! at least i thought had good angle ( only 2 of front guns could fire at her) !!! it was 2 or 3 citadel hits!!!

How far away you were? And do you have the replay of it?

[IRAN]
Players
367 posts
7,067 battles
11 hours ago, Paimentaja said:

How far away you were? And do you have the replay of it?

close 5km 

no i don't record replays because my pc is too old and weak

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,329 battles
17 minutes ago, Atorpad said:

close 5km 

no i don't record replays because my pc is too old and weak

Ok.

From that close, it is very possible that you took a direct hit to the turret barbette = detonation. If not, it is still possible to take that (barbette) hit counted as a citadel and some other penetrations.

But when you are brawling in distances that close, it has a huge difference in which way each of you were travelling : Mogami's back turret angles are not specially good and if she was travelling "away" from your aiming point (in order to hit the enemy ship) you will have to angle a lot more broadside to her, to be able to hit her. Therefore it is possible to get straight citadel hits from that close, since the AP values are quite massive for a shell that fast, even it does have a pretty bad base values. It will not overmatch the 25mm plating that the Mogami has, but, in reasonable angle it is very possible to go through it and hit the citadel. Mogami's citadel is without plating straight from the side, so in suitable angle it will penetrate the 100mm citadel armor anyways.

Edit : Ships are quite long in this game, so the rear turret placing will effect a lot to the angle they will fire their shells from.