Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
hgbn_dk

Why not use the emblem system to promote "play the objective"

39 comments in this topic

[DC-DK]
Players
1,757 posts
22,432 battles

First the emblems is all about bragging rights and showing other people how bad [edited]you are.

I have been thinking about using the current emblem system to encourage people to playing the objective, rather than just rewarding doing damage in high tiers.

Why not create some emblems using contribution on capture/defence percentages ( Master cap contester), spotting damage (Master scout), potential damage ( Master bouncer)?? Anything that matters

Make them count from lower tier to encourage new players to learn how to use their ships and play the objective early on... Its all about bling and bragging rights. especially for newcomers and low tier players. Make them just hard enough to motivate people to improve their gameplay. All these parameters are already measured  in the detailed battle result screen and stats.

Thinks its easier to motivate people by reward than by the whip.

Just food for thoughts inspired by this thread. 

• Cool 6

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles

Current "Do X average dmg over 100 battles" ones are more of "burn enemy BBs and ignore everything else" than "you did good, well done" emblems

So yeah, I'd like to see them promoting something actually useful

But I'm also with El2aZeR on this one - wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this to happen

• Cool 4

[DONGS]
Players
385 posts
8,178 battles

Agreed Captain, anything to enhance the game.  Lower tiers are where you should be learning not rushing through as fast as you can, I'm still learning myself which is probably why I don't have any T10 boats :Smile_hiding:  They do need encouraging to play well, I know I certainly didand didn't really get any.   But then I watched a lot of vids on how to know the game and learned the basics from them.  As I said anything to help or motivate people to try and play the game successfully is fine by me.  :Smile_honoring:

Plus one El2aZeR post :Smile_teethhappy: but we can only hope.

[HAERT]
Players
2,025 posts

Very sensible suggestion that I agree should be implemented, however as mentioned above, not at all likely to happen, WG appear wedded to Damage being the most important metric in the game.

[UNICS]
Players
2,783 posts
11,545 battles
22 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

... potential damage ( Master bouncer)?? Anything that matters

Master baiter?

• Funny 8

[SCRUB]
Players
6,915 posts
9,129 battles

I would very much like if there were PTFO emblems.

Capturing objectives, defending objectives and tanking (potential) damage are obvious ones that come to mind and which should be pretty easy to track (though obviously some ships would be better geared for some than others).

Not sure about spotting because the current way of tracking that stat is effectively pointless due to the system restrictions.

• Cool 1

Players
274 posts
7,092 battles

The emblems especially promote bad DD play, so you mean if I take out some T10 DDs in my Benson and get 2 of the caps and place top in the team I did badly because I only did 30k damage to High priority targets rather than going round the map boarder and farming BBs with torps like I'm apparently meant to according to the criteria.

Even the cruiser one is not good, cause while Long range cruisers are generally meant to kite and piss off BBs, the US cruisers are for supporting the DDs in the caps while hugging islands, while this will win you matches it doesn't do any good for your average damage.

These 2 in particular need looking at.

[DC-DK]
Players
1,757 posts
22,432 battles

I really think that those "play the objective emblems" which I proposed should be general regardless of class played. I know you referred to the current DD and CA emblems, would be good to have some covering all classes.

Players
274 posts
7,092 battles
16 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

I really think that those "play the objective emblems" which I proposed should be general regardless of class played. I know you referred to the current DD and CA emblems, would be good to have some covering all classes.

I kinda agree with you, but I identified them particularly because it promotes bad play, where as in a BB it is quite normal to get those high damage numbers and to a good CV player the enemy is just food, so high damage numbers are quite ordinary for those classes, maybe have BBs be potential damage and Carriers spotting damage or maybe plane kills, the thing is it depends heavily on the nation the ship you are playing is from as they have different strengths.

Players
2,179 posts
13,947 battles
23 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

...Make them count from lower tier to encourage new players to learn how to use their ships and play the objective early on... 

I don't think WG has much interest in this, because lower skilled players at higher levels will have trouble supporting their game play without spending money.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
3 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

where as in a BB it is quite normal to get those high damage numbers and to a good CV player the enemy is just food

And yet even those are skewed towards "you want this emblem? go burn that BB over there, ignore the DD, he doesn't give you enough dmg". I prefer winning over going after that emblem, so if I get any of them - yeah, nice, but I'm probably not going to bother intentionally grinding towards them

• Cool 1

[RONIN]
[RONIN]
Beta Tester
2,550 posts
5,517 battles
13 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

And yet even those are skewed towards "you want this emblem? go burn that BB over there, ignore the DD, he doesn't give you enough dmg". I prefer winning over going after that emblem, so if I get any of them - yeah, nice, but I'm probably not going to bother intentionally grinding towards them

Interestingly you see lots of the cruiser/BB/CV emblems but not many of the top nation emblems.

Guessing either they dont like them, want to announce which class is their main, or not actually as good at winning and being top 3 as they are at damage farming

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

shot-18_04.11_00_46.44-0598.thumb.jpg.899a4e387a71e80ad8f9606e186df6d4.jpg

Like mine?? I'm a US cruiser main... Not bad, Considering I mostly play Tier VII ( I really enjoy my Pensacola)

• Cool 1

[GLOBS]
[GLOBS]
Beta Tester
8 posts
6,584 battles

Could not agree with this post any more if I tryed. Flamu did a video not so long ago highlighting how the game rewards NOT playing the objectives of the maps and just farming damage. I'd go further. The game punishes the few that do play to the objectives or play for a team win. Wonder how many players WG has lost due to this?

• Cool 4

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
4 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

First the emblems is all about bragging rights and showing other people how bad [edited]you are.

I have been thinking about using the current emblem system to encourage people to playing the objective, rather than just rewarding doing damage in high tiers.

Why not create some emblems using contribution on capture/defence percentages ( Master cap contester), spotting damage (Master scout), potential damage ( Master bouncer)?? Anything that matters

Make them count from lower tier to encourage new players to learn how to use their ships and play the objective early on... Its all about bling and bragging rights. especially for newcomers and low tier players. Make them just hard enough to motivate people to improve their gameplay. All these parameters are already measured  in the detailed battle result screen and stats.

Thinks its easier to motivate people by reward than by the whip.

Personally I'd be happy if they even just re-made the "win 100 times in top 3" so that they would have some "time limit" instead of being just an "accumulate 100 lucky battles" thing...

XP awarding isn't perfect but it does reward many objective-related and teamplay-related things. Hardly perfect but it's by leaps and bounds ahead of simply counting damage (and not even % damage but absolute numbers, meaning: focusing on BBs). If you win and reach top 3 you might not be the MVP but it usually means that you did well and contributed to the victory - with a match limit in eligible ships these emblems would actually be giving some bragging rights to holders. As it is now... well, the emblem system isn't out that long and these things already suffer from inflation among people who play a lot and focus mostly on one nation... within a couple months they'll mean completely nothing. And the damage ones mean nothing from the very beginning, since they're all about damage farming in the nastiest way possible... the most laughable is the DD one - how hard do you need to fail to play 100 Khabarovsk matches and NOT get this one?

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
479 posts
8,552 battles
1 hour ago, MoAReload said:

Could not agree with this post any more if I tryed. Flamu did a video not so long ago highlighting how the game rewards NOT playing the objectives of the maps and just farming damage. I'd go further. The game punishes the few that do play to the objectives or play for a team win. Wonder how many players WG has lost due to this?

The Flamu video was linked into an in-game news article, so perhaps WG is starting to take note. It will probably take time as they schedule any changes into their development plans. So it is probably a case that it is ComingSoon(tm).

I don't think most people would argue that they would like to see:

1.) In-game ribbons for scouting, ship spotting, torpedo spotting, spotting damage, etc, and tanking damage related ribbons (perhaps a little more complex, as damage can be tanked by angling, kiting, or use of terrain).

2.) In-game rewards related to scouting and tanking damage, similar to what we have confederate, high-calibre, kraken unleashed etc..

3.) Emblem rewards as indicated by the OP.

They have similar systems in WoT, so I doubt it is completely unfamiliar to them. However, don't expect it to eliminate camping and other poor play. You still get heavies that think they are TD's, and arties that end up having to do there own scouting because each sides light tanks are waiting for the enemy to come to them in stalemate.

But I do think such improvements would help the player base understand what they are doing, and what they should be doing.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,025 posts
3 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

No reason those emblems couldn't be for all classes, capping, defending, tanking, cap blocking, spotting, they could all work.

I'm of the opinion that your suggestion has great merit, they promote active gameplay rather than damage farming and wouldn't do the game any harm and a lot of good. @MrConway, have you guys thought about this sort of thing?

• Cool 1

Players
2,179 posts
13,947 battles
7 hours ago, MoAReload said:

...Flamu did a video not so long ago highlighting how the game rewards NOT playing the objectives of the maps and just farming damage...

With all due respect: wasn't this the video where he was in a T10 BB, spent a large percentage of his time behind islands near a cap that was already taken, un-spotted, doing damage, ending the game at virtual full health with 4 unused heals?

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles

I like this idea @hgbn_dk. Why the heck not? What this game really needs is to promote and reward teamplay MUCH more than is the case at the moment anyways. :cap_like:

However, as for myself. I am not using any emblems (too kitsch) and would rather also take off the bloody Patch as well, as I feel the available designs are too Mickey Mouse cartoonish to my taste. I'd rather that WG would allow each player the chance to design their own (subject to admin approval to prevent any abuses, of course). But that's just me, I guess...:Smile_Default:

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
11 hours ago, Xevious_Red said:

Interestingly you see lots of the cruiser/BB/CV emblems but not many of the top nation emblems.

Guessing either they dont like them, want to announce which class is their main, or not actually as good at winning and being top 3 as they are at damage farming

Exactly that, most of the time they are mutually exclusive. Someone who manages to be top3 100 times at least has done something, but then again - he might have played 100 / 500 / 1k games to get it, and eventually everyone could get lucky enough times. Kinda takes away part of the meaning from it :Smile_teethhappy:

[IDDQD]
Players
1,619 posts
15,230 battles

agree, more emblems please, soon I will have nothing to farm :Smile_sad: 

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles
3 hours ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

With all due respect: wasn't this the video where he was in a T10 BB, spent a large percentage of his time behind islands near a cap that was already taken, un-spotted, doing damage, ending the game at virtual full health with 4 unused heals?

I don't know. But does that make the message of his video any less valid?

We need more incentives for ship types like DDs to play correctly. I'm currently leveling a DD and I was getting ~100k spotting damage in a mid tier DD last time I checked. As far as I know, that amounts to a big fat ZERO XP and credits for me personally. Even though spotting for others adds risk to my ship and significantly lowers my ability to deal damage. The only beneficiaries from me sticking to my role and playing correctly in that regard are those who can sit back and shoot - preferably from behind an island.

• Cool 1

[C0R3]
Beta Tester
241 posts
5,341 battles

I agree a skill based MM ist not possible with the current playerbase.

However, why not a more simple way , like "full winner ep" for players on the losing side (the best three for example) which managed to get more ep than the avarage  ep of the winnig team?

So there is a bonus for carring the team even if you dont win. Like the "not losing a star" rule in ranked. Less frustration and more motivation to carry or at least to try.

Because you get a personal reward when you try to work for the victory and being clearly better then the majority of your team.

Players
1,192 posts
3,451 battles

@ISDdriver

That is a bad idea, why?

Because your base XP earning is based on the amount of damage you do. You can end up top of the team for just doing damage and not doing anything else useful for the team, and the 'top player doesn't lose a star' in Ranked battles is almost universally considered a rubbish idea because of that.

On Topic:

I think what we really need to encourage correct teamplay is to change the achievements, as certain achievements pop during battle and seeing other players get these cheevos can be a motivator to get them yourself.

We need achievements that pop the instant you:

Cap/Assissted in Capping three times in a match.

Exceed a certain amount of 'Potential Damage'.

Exceed a certain amount of Spotting Damage.

Heal back so much of your health pool - this can have the same requirements as Dreadnaught, but without the requirement of survival, so it just pops during the battle.

If these achievements are implemented, we can keep @hgbn_dk's idea of awarding emblems, but keep them to higher tiers to keep up the encouragement even up to T10.

Sign in to follow this