You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Jack_Sparrow123

Where best to eat torpedo?

27 comments in this topic

Players
122 posts
10,972 battles

Sorry I`m lazy to google it.... When I have time to choose where to receive torpedo where is it best? Nose, bow or? Because I saw 1 Flamu`s video with DD he ate torpedo to nose for less dmg. And for example in Yamato? Where is exactly torpedo belt? Around whole ship?

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
36 minutes ago, Jack_Sparrow_______ said:

Sorry I`m lazy to google it.... When I have time to choose where to receive torpedo where is it best? Nose, bow or? Because I saw 1 Flamu`s video with DD he ate torpedo to nose for less dmg. And for example in Yamato? Where is exactly torpedo belt? Around whole ship?

On BBs - usually you want to eat it mid-ship since torpedo protection kicks in and reduces damage.

On DDs - usually you want to eat it on the bow or stern, because these sections have less hitpoints than your DD as a whole. If you eat a strong torpedo mid-ships (especially in squishier DDs) you can even die from one hit. A single torpedo to a full-hp (or close to that) DD shouldn't kill you, however (even a Shima torp against Harekaze), if it connects on your bow or stern. In fact, you can eat as many as you want on your bow or stern (as long as all are on bow or all on stern, that is, one on each is a death sentence) and only worry about flooding.

• Cool 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,080 posts
3,758 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

On BBs - usually you want to eat it mid-ship since torpedo protection kicks in and reduces damage.

On DDs - usually you want to eat it on the bow or stern, because these sections have less hitpoints than your DD as a whole. If you eat a strong torpedo mid-ships (especially in squishier DDs) you can even die from one hit. A single torpedo to a full-hp (or close to that) DD shouldn't kill you, however (even a Shima torp against Harekaze), if it connects on your bow or stern. In fact, you can eat as many as you want on your bow or stern (as long as all are on bow or all on stern, that is, one on each is a death sentence) and only worry about flooding.

This !!

If you are bow tanking in a BB, you can also try to take one torp in your bow to saturate this section of your ship but you will suffer bigger chance of flooding (as torp belt protection won't be counted).

Most importantly, never get hit by a torpedo near your turrets, that's the perfect way to get detonated !!

Players
1,806 posts
5,762 battles
1 hour ago, eliastion said:

damage_saturation.gif&key=13e151f3755078

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,874 posts

Oh, I know! But if I told you I would probably got banned for bawdiness... :Smile_trollface:

[TENGO]
Players
1,479 posts
8,221 battles
4 hours ago, Jack_Sparrow_______ said:

Nose, bow or?

So... nobody mentioned it? :Smile_hiding:

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,068 battles
9 hours ago, Jack_Sparrow_______ said:

where to receive

You probably got all the answers.

As a DD never get torpedoed in the mid section, always try to get one in bow or stern.

Well if you already received some dmg, you are dead anyways ...

[FOF]
Beta Tester
89 posts
8,544 battles

Well it depends on the ship and the situation you are in.

If you are in relative safety and sure no one can capitalize on your flooding, take the torpedo in the front section. Even in a Yamato. While initially taking slightly more damage(depends on the HP your front has left), you can repair half of it. Also if you don't immediately restore HP your bow is now saturated. So if you have to take multiple torpedos, they will deal only half the damage.

If your ship doesn't have repair, you will take way less damage from taking it in the front anyways.

Now, if you don't want to take the flooding it becomes a gamble. If you are in a DD or CC still do as above. Your torpedo protection is pretty much nonexistent. Most likely you will get the flooding anyways. But this way you can easily save between 5-10k HP. Which is probably as much as you will lose due to the flooding. In a BB you can take the gamble. The better your torpedo protection, the better are your odds.

On a side note: The term nose can be slightly misleading. Torpedo hitboxes vary a lot between ships. Taking the torpedo with the nose doesn't have to mean you got it with the front section.

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles
6 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

Didn't know Alaska was ingame...

Scharnhorst, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad?

Beta Tester
4,994 posts
2,939 battles
7 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Kronshtadt, Stalingrad?

Were both officially classified - during their design stages, but for paperships that's about 90% of their life - as heavy cruisers~ And other countries' standards classified them as battlecruisers. Whilst if I remember correctly, CC is the US designation for Combat Cruiser, a classification under which only Alaska was ever classfyied.

And either way they have torpedo blisters (at least they did IRL - or did they ? Honestly I dunno. Russian paperships ain't my favorites. Need to check -, I'm not following Wargaming's hobbies of adding and removing stuff at will) so I think Forke wasn't referring to them but tryied to mean "cruisers" as in regular light and heavy cruisers.

Even some heavies have torpedo blisters too don't they ?

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles
30 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

Even some heavies have torpedo blisters too don't they ?

Following cruisers have at minimum some TDS (low to high):

Aoba, Baltimore, Belfast, Cleveland, Duguay-Trouin, Friant, Furutaka (C), New Orleans,
Pensacola, Des Moines, Duca d'Aosta, Emile Bertin, Königsberg, Nürnberg, Salem,
De Grasse, Hipper, La Galissonniere, Mogami (A), Prinz Eugen, Yorck, Hindenburg,
Minotaur, Myoko (B, C), Neptune, Roon, Tone, Algerie, Atago, Charles Martel,
Dmitri Donskoi, Duca degli Abruzzi, Ibuki, Mogami (B, C), Henri IV, Saint-Louis, Zao,
Graf Spee, Stalingrad, Moskva, Kronshtadt

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,068 posts
14,084 battles

Taking it on the nose is more repairable , than taking it midship , which counts as citadel damage = less repairable,

If u got 40+%  torp protection it will reduce this damage significantly but you still can only repair 10% of the dmg,

Taking  it on the nose is high flooding chance but you can dmg saturate you nose so if you take multilple torps on it , you wont be damaged on that section. 

Generally if you have weak torp protection , rather take it on the nose.

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles

Hmmm, yeah. I am a bit confused tho. I was under the impression that you risk detonation, if you take one straight on the nose? I remember detonating a Yamato and a Fuso with a single torp hit on the nose. I really thought it was a thing? Mayhap that was just a coincidence then? :cap_hmm:

Beta Tester
4,994 posts
2,939 battles
50 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Aoba, Baltimore, Belfast, Cleveland, Duguay-Trouin, Friant, Furutaka (C), New Orleans,
Pensacola, Des Moines, Duca d'Aosta, Emile Bertin, Königsberg, Nürnberg, Salem,
De Grasse, Hipper, La Galissonniere, Mogami (A), Prinz Eugen, Yorck, Hindenburg,
Minotaur, Myoko (B, C), Neptune, Roon, Tone, Algerie, Atago, Charles Martel,
Dmitri Donskoi, Duca degli Abruzzi, Ibuki, Mogami (B, C), Henri IV, Saint-Louis, Zao,
Graf Spee, Stalingrad, Moskva, Kronshtadt

D'Aosta has a blister...?
You're talking about in game stuff right ?

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles
5 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

Well, maybe it's just not a very effective blister - Kinda like the Lambo aircon?:cap_hmm:

Beta Tester
4,994 posts
2,939 battles
38 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Well, maybe it's just not a very effective blister - Kinda like the Lambo aircon?:cap_hmm:

I can't even see it at all on the armor cross-section. And it's not mentionned in any armor description of the vessel. So I seriously wonder where it comes from. Unless it was added like on the late, during the war... But I have doubts.

If anyone finds an actual historical source regarding such a blister I'm cruious to see it.

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles
1 hour ago, LastButterfly said:

All I can say is that she has a lower flood coefficent for her mid-section than unprotected sections.

0.333 is standard, D'Aosta has 0.31.

[ONE2]
Players
2,318 posts
13,604 battles

Hmm @SeeteufeI... I just checked the Googles-know-it-all. Apparently Italian ships has something called the Pugliese Torpedo protection system, but this was an hull-internal system and not a bulge and apparently not too effective either, so perhaps that explains why it is not too visible and perhaps WG just decided to reflect it by giving ships a reduced chance of flooding?:cap_hmm:

[250H2]
Beta Tester, Players
1,079 posts
12,960 battles
11 hours ago, NoirLotus said:

This !!

If you are bow tanking in a BB, you can also try to take one torp in your bow to saturate this section of your ship but you will suffer bigger chance of flooding (as torp belt protection won't be counted).

Most importantly, never get hit by a torpedo near your turrets, that's the perfect way to get detonated !!

Depends.

I make a detonation with a torp to an enemy BB bow to me.

RNG sometime makes Stranger Things

Players
940 posts
5,001 battles

I would say in a nice restaurant of your choosing, or in the more intimate surroundings of your house if you take the time to light candles

Beta Tester
1,352 posts

Bow/stern hit does minimal damage (50%) but likely to flood.

TDS hit does damage reduced by the amount it says in port (best is around 44% US superdreadnoughts), flooding unlikely.

So if you have a TDS and damage control is off cooldown to stop flooding, take an end hit. If not, taking it on the TDS is likely to lead to less damage as the odds of flooding are much reduced.

Without a TDS always take end hits.