Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Dunk_Squad

A curious rule question

11 comments in this topic

Players
144 posts
1,756 battles

Hypothetically, let's say a player releases a pack of skins that shows all ships as their damage models in game, with armor thickness and where their citadels are. Is this player, and likewise, anyone who willingly downloads and installs this skin pack, breaking the rules? Does this count as aim assistance? While it's public info through the client, it's still providing an advantage to a player that other players would not have. 

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,022 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

Hypothetically, let's say a player releases a pack of skins that shows all ships as their damage models in game, with armor thickness and where their citadels are. Is this player, and likewise, anyone who willingly downloads and installs this skin pack, breaking the rules? Does this count as aim assistance? While it's public info through the client, it's still providing an advantage to a player that other players would not have. 

Probably. Didn't someone come up with this in WOT, and get slapped down? I might be mis-remembering though...

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
7 minutes ago, The_Dunk_Squad said:

In WoT there used to be a mod that showed all the weakspots on tanks (hit here for easy pen / amo rack / fire / so on) and it was seen / called as "new player friendly - help them learn where to shoot", so I'd assume same could be true here :cap_yes:

[SCRUB]
Players
6,915 posts
9,129 battles

Probably a nasty grey area as it's not a definitive advantage over someone who simply knows where the ship citadels are and what his guns can penetrate, both people would be aiming for roughly the same spot and if we include dispersion RNG, the difference should be negligible.

I would argue though that the intent behind such a modification isn't in the spirit of fairplay and thus such a modification should be considered illegal.

Also I believe that this kind modification had already attracted WG's attention a while back, though I can't recall if they made an official statement about that specifically.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,022 battles
35 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

In WoT there used to be a mod that showed all the weakspots on tanks (hit here for easy pen / amo rack / fire / so on) and it was seen / called as "new player friendly - help them learn where to shoot", so I'd assume same could be true here :cap_yes:

That's the one I was referring to - I think it got flat-out banned a while ago now...?

Beta Tester
137 posts
10,888 battles
2 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

That's the one I was referring to - I think it got flat-out banned a while ago now...?

nope, it is allowed mod and probably would be same in wows ... not very useful i must add. not that hard to remember that aim between 1st an last turret close to waterline 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,385 battles
6 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

To be fair I haven't played since the late 0.8.somethings, so no idea.

Anyhow that wouldn't mean much - you can hit well above the citadel, and if your arcs are steep enough still hit it, or hit right above the citadel and just go over it with your flat ones. The general idea for what's where is the same for everything, with some ship-by-ship basis differences - you'll find ship citadels in the same place :Smile_teethhappy:

Beta Tester
652 posts
4,255 battles

I'd personally rather not see such a mod in the game...

But with the argument for educating the playerbase... Dang, it's a strong point...

Perhaps if WG included a tutorial where the game paused and the citadel points were highlighted on the target, so everyone would have a general idea of where citadels are atleast located... And a subsequent one about angling to mitigate such damage...

1 minute ago, hellhound666 said:

nope, it is allowed mod and probably would be same in wows ... not very useful i must add. not that hard to remember that aim between 1st an last turret close to waterline 

Well, some citadels arent as easy as that (though since the simplification of dmg models that is the general rule), for example Yamato's blushing cheeks angled A turret citadel that is best hit at an angle.

• Cool 1

[DC-DK]
Players
1,757 posts
22,432 battles

Would be extremely hard to detect, since it is basically just a skin on your machine. Would it work as cheating mod highly doubt it. Guns are to inaccurate to benefit from it. Not worth the work creating it.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,022 battles
1 hour ago, hellhound666 said:

I think you're right; what I'm half-remembering appears to be that WG are apparently working on their own version, and when it's live, all the mods get forbidden.

I think it'd be more useful in WOT than in WOWS; in the former, a lot of key modules aren't consistently located, ammo racks especially.

Beta Tester
3,671 posts
12,833 battles

A mod showing citadels? What use would that have for all the potatoes shooting HE exclusively? :Smile_hiding:

Sign in to follow this