Sign in to follow this  
gyrostabilizer

Staple ships for each line

5 comments in this topic

Players
46 posts
2,826 battles

What are staple ships of the lowest tier for each line? By "staple" I mean ships of the lowest possible tier that represent the rest of the line. I am not very experienced player but for lines I  worked on I would say:

USN cruisers: Pensacola (don't like it then move on. like it then work on)

IJN destroyers: Fubuki (don't like it then move on. like it then work on)

French battleships: Normandie (don't like it then move on. like it then work on)

The goal of this post is to find out the lowest tier ships that show what is the rest of that line is about. I am not very experienced captain myself so I would love to be corrected. My belief is that there is a ship in each line, which if you don't like you can skip the rest of grind and find something else.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles

Generally tier 5 and 6. Sometimes 7. But ships can still change - for example IJN BBs are similar from tier 5 (4?) to 8 and then 9 is similar to 10, Mogami with those 155s can be completely different from all other IJN CAs and so on

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,223 posts
5,868 battles

This is what I'd say

BBs:

• US: North carolina
  • IJN: None (each ship is too different from each other)
  • KM: Gneissenau
  • French: Lyon
  • UK: Orion

Cruisers:

• US: Difficult to say....maybe new orleans?
  • IJN: Myoko
  • KM: Admiral Hipper
  • French: Algerie
  • Soviet: Budyonny
  • UK: Leander

Destroyers:

• US: Nicholas
  • IJN: Isokaze
  • KM: Gnevny/Minsk
  • Soviet:
  • KM: Gaede

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
Players
2,686 posts
9,840 battles
4 hours ago, gyrostabilizer said:

By "staple" I mean ships of the lowest possible tier that represent the rest of the line.

That's not how it works in many cases. Some lines are clear cut, and how you play them changes little from a certain tier, but some can divided into two groupings or can't be grouped at all.

@domen3 is right with the Japanese battleships, every ship is different and there's little that connects them, as you play a Fuso differently than a Nagato.

US battleships are either superdreadnaughts/standard-type BBs from T4-T7 or fast BBs from T8 up. Germans have dreadnaughts at T3-T6 and from T8 the ships are very similar, Gneisenau is an oddity.

French BBs are weird, but from the Normandie at T6 up you can expect similar gameplay. British BBs start at T4 and remain HE spamming monsters with low citadels but squishy sides.

Japanese cruisers from T5 Furutaka up are heavy cruisers with good HE and torps. Mogami offers a diversion but it can mount 203mm guns too.

American cruisers start with Pensacola, which will soon be dropped to T6. The light cruiser line remains a mystery. Germans are a very mixed bag, with light cruisers at T5-6, a garbage bote at T7, and then heavy cruisers at T8.

Russians get into their style at T5 Kirov, hanging back spamming those long range guns. Brits start with the Leander at T6, Emerald is too different to be counted in even though it has smoke. French cruisers start at T5 with being fast HE spammers.

Japanese DDs start at T6 for both lines, with gameplay being identical save for Akizuki. American DDs start either at T4 with Clemson as cap contesting gunboats, or T7's Mahan as torpedo boats.

German DDs really get into their own at T6 but only after you upgrade the hull, as you then get Hydro. Russian main line starts at T5 Podvoisky, the alternate line has some typical DDs at T8 and T10 which differ from it.

Pan Asian DDs start at T8, with the American made/Asian used ships. Before that it's a mixed bag.

• Cool 3

[BGNAV]
Players
741 posts
13,827 battles

USN CAs  Cleveland @TX u again will get same Monster

IJN CAs Mogami 155 @TX u again will get same insane railguns but 203mm

KM CAs Yorck-Hipper

RU CAs no ship like Moskva...

Frenchis CAs La Bonboniera....

later for BBs DDs CVs xD

• Cool 1