Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pametrada

Torpedo arming distances in 'friendly fire'

31 comments in this topic

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles

Normally,  torpedos must run a certain distance before they arm, and so if an enemy ship is inside that distance, the torpedoes will pass harmlessly through/under the enemy ship and continue on their way.

This evening, I was launching torpedos from the Nurnberg. Just as I launched the second salvo, a friendly destroyer collided with me from behind and scraped down the side of my ship. So, we were parallel, and actually in contact along the sides.  My torpedos detonated straight away, sinking him and earning me the pink badge of shame.  If that had been an enemy ship, ( not touching but as close as it could get ) the torps would not have detonated. 

May I ask why the difference in arming distances ?

[HAERT]
Players
2,024 posts
1 hour ago, Pametrada said:

Normally,  torpedos must run a certain distance before they arm, and so if an enemy ship is inside that distance, the torpedoes will pass harmlessly through/under the enemy ship and continue on their way.

This evening, I was launching torpedos from the Nurnberg. Just as I launched the second salvo, a friendly destroyer collided with me from behind and scraped down the side of my ship. So, we were parallel, and actually in contact along the sides.  My torpedos detonated straight away, sinking him and earning me the pink badge of shame.  If that had been an enemy ship, ( not touching but as close as it could get ) the torps would not have detonated. 

No idea, I screwed up a while back and launched from Kutuzov when a DD went close past me, they didn't hit him, either I got lucky or you got very unlucky or buggy.

[BLITZ]
[BLITZ]
Players
2,049 posts
8,964 battles
20 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

It should be the beginning of the green/yellow area, but sometimes it's a little bit off.

torp.thumb.png.242e724c3847ffb9f44616738eea3d19.png

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles

Yes, but in this instance, the ship I team-killed was touching my side, his starboard side to my port side ; so close that my torps would have landed on his deck. That aside, why did they detonate and sink him ?

[TRAV]
[TRAV]
Players
2,398 posts
3 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

Yes, but in this instance, the ship I team-killed was touching my side, his starboard side to my port side ; so close that my torps would have landed on his deck. That aside, why did they detonate and sink him ?

Do you happen to have a replay or video of that?

Because if that actually happened as you described it sounds like a bug and some form of evidence will help to fix it.

Players
877 posts
11,126 battles

Odd. Do you have a replay perchance?

But even so, why did you even launch the torpedoes? Best case scenario would be that your torps get "eaten" by the destroyer regardless of them not exploding anyway.

[RNG4]
Beta Tester
1,568 posts
36 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

No, not really. If torpedoes didn't arm before hitting an enemy, they hit the enemy ship without an explosion and without dealing damage. They don't pass under the ship.

• Cool 1

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles
18 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Do you happen to have a replay or video of that?

Because if that actually happened as you described it sounds like a bug and some form of evidence will help to fix it.

I'm afraid I don't have the replay, but that's exactly as it happened. My ship was the Nurnberg, and it was the aft set of torpedo tubes that did the damage. The forward ones had just fired ahead of the friendly destroyer as it rubbed along my side.

18 hours ago, Tungstonid said:

No, not really. If torpedoes didn't arm before hitting an enemy, they hit the enemy ship without an explosion and without dealing damage. They don't pass under the ship.

Yes, okay, well that's the same thing in effect - it's not the point of the thread. The point is - why did they detonate against the friendly ship rubbing against the side of my cruiser.

It was an accident, by the way - not something I intended. A gameplay error.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
33 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

Basically, the answer would be:

"It didn't happen."

Obviously, it doesn't seem like this from your perspective, leading to the obvious correction:

"It didn't happen as far as the server is concerned."

The most likely answer is that what you observed had been an effect of lag - the ships you saw were not really (that is - according to server) in the places you thought them to be. Of course there could be some torp-launching bug that allows for the situation you describe, but something like that would probably appear a bit more consistently and it wouldn't be the first time we heard of it.

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles

Eliastion yes, you could well be right there. Hadn't considered it, but what you say certainly sounds feasible.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,546 posts
6,375 battles

No they won't. They will hit the ship, but fail to explode (a.k.a. hit as duds) as they are not armed yet. If a torpedo "passes through" - that's only a visual fail (desync?) and that "torpedo" won't hit anything, possibly going even past its max range outside of the map (as - again - it's only a visual bug)

An exception there would be a DWT (deep water torpedo) passing underneath and past a DD (even DDs wreck) - but they simply cannot hit DDs.

An addition to that exception would be CVs GZs TB DWTs - those can't hit cruisers aswell, and current WiP DDs Asashios DWTs torpedoes - those can't hit cruisers either.

Do you have a replay of this? There must have been some distance between you two.

Anyhow, as Seeteufel showed

1 hour ago, SeeteufeI said:

torp.thumb.png.242e724c3847ffb9f44616738eea3d19.png

that arc is supposed to be the point where torpedoes arm and after which they can hit.

Emphasis on "supposed to". It's bugged, and since I reported it - it is (or rather it should be) marked as a "known issue".

Generally DDs have it more or less correct, cruisers and BBs - case by case basis. Rear-mounted launchers seem to be off the most.

Here's How it looks (and yes, the start (and the end) is recorded with a potato in a bathtub, so feel free to start from 36s as that's where the showcasing starts):

Spoiler

Funnily enough it can work in the opposite direction aswell - torpedo arms, but doesn't explode:

Spoiler

TL;DR - torps at close range are screwed up and unpredictable :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
137 posts
10,873 battles
2 hours ago, Pametrada said:

... sinking him and earning me the pink badge of shame ...

when im pink its usually proudly earned after deleting some useless destroyer ...

• Funny 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
3 hours ago, hellhound666 said:

when im pink its usually proudly earned after deleting some useless destroyer ...

Well, obviously a badge of shame only works for people who have some of the latter.

Players
670 posts
7,928 battles

I had a similar experience today with my Z-46 when a Zao changed course ramming me just as I launched torpedoes but my torpedoes thankfully did not kill my ally and continued on hitting the enemy I aimed at.

Could it be that your system suffers from lag? The distance between you and your ally could have been greater than you realised.

Players
1,201 posts
4,944 battles

Just to add to the "arming distance buggy" info - A few days ago I was busy doing a YOLO drive-by against a Tirpitz and, to avoid his torps, made sure I was inside the Torp arm distance (got Tirpitz myself so know the range) and we were so close I thought I might actually ram it by mistake yet his 4 torps, when launched against my broadside (not bow which was outside of minimum arming distance) still detonated against me. Now I've got nearly 4k games played and love torps so when I saw this happen for the first and only time I knew it was an anomaly rather than correct behaviour and it hasn't occurred since so my guess is that there was some de-sync/ping issues going on (I already have 100ms ping due to playing in Saudi).

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles

Thanks for all the help and responses to this, folks. I can't say any more about it without repeating myself for the third or fourth time. I'll go with the server lag explanation. :Smile_Default:

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles

Hmmm... Now that you mention it @Pametrada lad. I had the same happen to me some time ago (last x-mas sometime) in a Mogami, when our own DD ran past me full tilt very close by so I actually did not notice him on the minimap (was looking through binoculars at the time) at all, he was so close that I did not see him in my screen either until too late, when switching to normal view just before launch and I probably lobbed all my 8 torps right on his foredeck (Mogami has all torps in an awkward angle at the back), when l launched my torps and Boom! Immediate catastrophe. Made firm decision to double-check in normal view from now on instead of trusting cursory glances on minimap to make sure no-one is there. It has worked fine so far.:Smile_Default:

Come to think of it. It might actually be a good idea, if there was a proximity alert, just like when about to collide with an island, when you are too close to friendly ships. Would also help to avert collisions better. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

Players
152 posts
2,504 battles

Rahjailari, yes, that sounds very similar. The friendly destroyer came in almost from behind me and rubbed down the port side of my Nurnberg as I launched - my torpedoes would have landed on his deck in real life.

Thanks for your post - very interesting to read in light of my own experience. :Smile_Default:

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,584 battles

Yeah @Pametrada, sad thing is that I was actually fully aware that he was coming right after me, but he had just a minute ago been heading so that he would pass behind my ship from the other side so I just assumed he would maintain course without checking any further. But as I prepared to fire my torps, I turned a tad away from the enemy (torps at the back end of ship, you know) and slowed down a bit to keep the distance to enemy and he had then apparently decided to change course and passed in front of me instead. Unfortunately he was by this time so close that he was completely in my "blind spot" so I could no longer see him either in minimap or screen. Totally my fault tho, a little rotate-screen.for-a-roundabout-looky would have cost me only a few seconds and saved both of us the annoying the pinky experience. :Smile_Default:

mistake.jpg.9fec1cd1ecdc9117713bcadb0542c411.jpg

• Cool 1

[TS1]
Players
462 posts
7,152 battles
14 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

TL;DR - torps at close range are screwed up and unpredictable :Smile_trollface:

Well, the closest thing to a conclusion I can make from your testing vids is that torpedoes seem to arm a little after the aiming indicator starts (not counting the middle line) and is not related to the large arc showing where you can aim your torpedoes. Of course, that's also assuming torpedoes arm when the little green torpedo markers show up, which is another variable I'm not willing to trust WG has implemented with any degree of consistency.

• Cool 1

Players
857 posts
7,680 battles

The reason torps have a minimum arming distance in the first place (instead of being launched in an armed state and ready to immediately explode) is to avoid damage to the ship or plane that launches them in case the explosion is set off at too close a distance.

Conversely, that means torpedoes need the more arming distance the more damage they deal.

Players
1,201 posts
4,944 battles
26 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Conversely, that means torpedoes need the more arming distance the more damage they deal.

I wonder if thats modelled in-game?

[HAERT]
Players
2,024 posts
5 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

If it is then it's not obvious, the torpedo arc things look pretty much the same on every torpedo armed ship I have. I guess someone with the tools and the inclination could do some measuring, but that's not me.

Players
857 posts
7,680 battles
Vor 12 Minuten, IanH755 sagte:

I do seem to notice torps don't deal splash damage, like if they explode on shore near a beached ship, and have added that to the suggestions thread the other day.

Sign in to follow this