You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Eazy_Rider

Toxic text chat in game.

76 comments in this topic

[BEWBS]
Players
2 posts
8,882 battles

I have been a player on WOW's since beta. This is my first post. I would like to mention just how toxic in game text chat has become. I watch players being harassed and insulted all the time, especially newer players. The smallest mistake in the game can cause a torrent of abuse directed at the player that made the mistake. Often the comments used are quite disgusting too and the term 'retard' has become commonplace, usually prefaced with many F words first. I do understand that in individual battles it would be impossible to mod every text chat. So I think it's time wargaming introduced a simple 'chat on or off' button for players, instead of the current choice which makes you repeat the action for every game, and can be difficult for new players to find. I do understand that communication can enhance the game for teams. But I think many new players walk away from the game because of the insults and toxic atmosphere in text chat directed at them. If it's impossible to police then make it easy to switch off is my suggestion.

Best wishes to all.

Eazy.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,674 posts
13,098 battles

There is a mute function. On the scoreboard right click the name of the one you want to mute then click on "Disable chat messages". If you feel particularly offended you can report that player for "misbehavior in chat", a multitude of those lead to a chat ban.

Hint: All other report options don't do anything but make the player lose karma, which has no effect anyway.

Personally I don't believe anything should be done beyond providing the player with the option to mute others. Anything else is either a waste of time or can be easily abused (as is the very report function mentioned above for example).

Toxicity has existed ever since the dawn of online gaming. Any attempt to reign it in has failed hard. Best thing you can do is to give the players a choice whether they want to continue reading/listening on how many people have :etc_swear:ed their mothers or just mute the offending person. If you don't utilize the option handed to you but are still offended then it's your own fault, really.

• Cool 2

[BEWBS]
Players
2 posts
8,882 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

There is a mute function. On the scoreboard right click the name of the one you want to mute then click on "Disable chat messages". If you feel particularly offended you can report that player for "misbehavior in chat", a multitude of those lead to a chat ban.

Hint: All other report options don't do anything but make the player lose karma, which has no effect anyway.

Personally I don't believe anything should be done beyond providing the player with the option to mute others. Anything else is either a waste of time or can be easily abused (as is the very report function mentioned above for example).

Toxicity has existed ever since the dawn of online gaming. Any attempt to reign it in has failed hard. Best thing you can do is to give the players a choice whether they want to continue reading/listening on how many people have :etc_swear:ed their mothers or just mute the offending person. If you don't utilize the option handed to you but are still offended then it's your own fault, really.

Actually I did point out that I was talking about newer players not myself. After over 12 years in the Royal navy I'm hardly a sensitive snowflake. Your suggestion makes sense but.. If one of these players has several people insulting them by the time they've followed your instructions and selected each name to mute they will probably have been sunk. It distracts from the game, and will have to be done repeatedly in every game. I still think a simple 'on or off' button is fast and effective for those that want it. It wouldn't affect your game but may well improve theirs.

Thanks for your reply.

Eazy.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, Players
5,112 posts

Dont see nothing wrong on toxic , when face 45%+ players in team that yacht or snipe or do nothing good for team, so mostly toxic is on that reason , i would love wg limit bad players on random , so it would make toxic even more less , as for chat easy block player and turn off chat , problem solved

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
579 posts
7,397 battles
3 hours ago, Eazy_Rider said:

I have been a player on WOW's since beta. This is my first post. I would like to mention just how toxic in game text chat has become. I watch players being harassed and insulted all the time, especially newer players. The smallest mistake in the game can cause a torrent of abuse directed at the player that made the mistake. Often the comments used are quite disgusting too and the term 'retard' has become commonplace, usually prefaced with many F words first. I do understand that in individual battles it would be impossible to mod every text chat. So I think it's time wargaming introduced a simple 'chat on or off' button for players, instead of the current choice which makes you repeat the action for every game, and can be difficult for new players to find. I do understand that communication can enhance the game for teams. But I think many new players walk away from the game because of the insults and toxic atmosphere in text chat directed at them. If it's impossible to police then make it easy to switch off is my suggestion.

Best wishes to all.

Eazy.

I totally agree with you sir. It´s way to much insults. Ok. Everyone can rant every now and then. But pure insults of all kinds have nothing to do in a game. Some people seems to turn on of being rude in chat without reason. That´s sad :( 

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,962 posts
5,440 battles

Internet without toxicity? Now where's the fun in that :Smile_trollface: 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles

Heyho,

Sorry to read about your experience in our game, this is something we definitely don't want to see happening. We're currently looking into options how to improve the situation in chat on the EU server but it's work in progress. When it comes to being toxic - sorry but I think there's no excuse for being very toxic in chat. Yes, you might be frustrated with your teammates or have a bad day but that is no excuse to misbehave in chat and go completely overboard, furthermore being toxic won't help the affected players to become better at the game, they will only get more frustrated.

Have a nice weekend,

Crysantos

• Cool 12
  • Boring 1

[DONGS]
Players
385 posts
8,178 battles

If I see a Captain being toxic/negative/demeaning in the forum I have a good idea that he/she is one of those players who do the same on ingame chat.  It's been proven right several times.  :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,559 posts
9,086 battles
8 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

Heyho,

Sorry to read about your experience in our game, this is something we definitely don't want to see happening. We're currently looking into options how to improve the situation in chat on the EU server but it's work in progress. When it comes to being toxic - sorry but I think there's no excuse for being very toxic in chat. Yes, you might be frustrated with your teammates or have a bad day but that is no excuse to misbehave in chat and go completely overboard, furthermore being toxic won't help the affected players to become better at the game, they will only get more frustrated.

Have a nice weekend,

Crysantos

Nice to know that more work is being put into preventing people berating terrible players being harmful to the game itself, rather than actually preventing the creation of more and more terrible players harmful to the game itself.

Because certainly that one guy venting a few insults is much more harmful to the game than a pair of top tier Bismarcks sabotaging the game by trying to find out if you can leave the map.

/s

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
10 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

being toxic won't help the affected players to become better at the game

I'm TOXIC and I agree, I might've helped some affected players to learn not to sail in straight lines for minutes on end - but that's not by being TOXIC :Smile_trollface:

5 minutes ago, SirBlemmingtonSmythe said:

If I see a Captain being toxic/negative/demeaning in the forum I have a good idea that he/she is one of those players who do the same on ingame chat.

I agree, I'm TOXIC on the forum and sure as hell in the game chat I can be easily recognized as TOXIC too.

sorry guys, it's Sunday morning (well, not that much of a morning but who cares) at this hour I don't even need beer...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[YEEET]
Players
1,160 posts
10,831 battles
5 hours ago, Eazy_Rider said:

Best wishes to all.

Eazy.

Completely agree with you - there should be a simple button to just turn off the chat screen. Having said that, I have had useful help through chat - I remember Dropsiq at times offering helpful advice when I was a noob and several other forumites also offering advice and assistance, all in a non toxic way. So sometimes it is worthwhile just ignoring the morons for the occasional pearl!

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles
2 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Nice to know that more work is being put into preventing people berating terrible players being harmful to the game itself, rather than actually preventing the creation of more and more terrible players harmful to the game itself.

Because certainly that one guy venting a few insults is much more harmful to the game than a pair of top tier Bismarcks sabotaging the game by trying to find out if you can leave the map.

/s

These are two seperate problems and just because a player isn't playing very well doesn't give you the right to insult him, no matter what. Yes, we're also trying to improve the feedback that the game is giving you but this topic was about chat behavior.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
2,046 posts
8,168 battles
17 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

Heyho,

Have a nice weekend,

Crysantos

I dearly hope you don't ruin the game, by removing the ability to chat with the other team, like they did on Tanks... 

Why play a Multiplayer game, if the other team is basically a silent bot-team... 

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles
Just now, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

I dearly hope you don't ruin the game, by removing the ability to chat with the other team, like they did on Tanks... 

Why play a Multiplayer game, if the other team is basically a silent bot-team... 

I'm not aware of any plans like this, so no worries ;)

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 3

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,559 posts
9,086 battles
11 minutes ago, triumphgt6 said:

Completely agree with you - there should be a simple button to just turn off the chat screen. Having said that, I have had useful help through chat - I remember Dropsiq at times offering helpful advice when I was a noob and several other forumites also offering advice and assistance, all in a non toxic way. So sometimes it is worthwhile just ignoring the morons for the occasional pearl!

Perhaps it's not a one sided as you make it out to be?

Perhaps people just don't want help any more?
Any attempt to calmy give people sage advice on my part wa met with either silence or "stfu noob don't tell me how to play"

So please don't make it out to be as if it were one side of mean toxic people, and another side of victims, because believe me when I say that it's vastly more toxic to a game to play like garbage, never desire to learn, and tell others trying to teach you that you don't need any help. More so than any rant in a match by incalculable magnitudes.

These are two seperate problems and just because a player isn't playing very well doesn't give you the right to insult him, no matter what. Yes, we're also trying to improve the feedback that the game is giving you but this topic was about chat behavior.

Greetings, Crysantos

I don't mind people not playing very well, but I sure as hell mind people aggressively defending their rights to keep playing like crap.

Because yes, even the ****ing Dalai Lama would get pissed if he were playing thousands of football matches with random strangers, and there were everytime people sitting down to play cards during the match.

Am I not entitled to a fair and decent match, the same way they are entitled to a toxic-free match?
Then why is it there have been actual advances in reporting toxic chat, and apparently more plans to combat it, and yet still NO plans to have decent tutorials and actual WG made/sponsored guides since 2015 ?
It'ss running on 3 years of existence since release, and still nothing.

But god knows little TImmy in his new Tirpitz needs a clean chat, or else he'll get upset and leave the game.

• Cool 9

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles
3 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Perhaps it's not a one sided as you make it out to be?

Perhaps people just don't want help any more?
Any attempt to calmy give people sage advice on my part wa met with either silence or "stfu noob don't tell me how to play"

So please don't make it out to be as if it were one side of mean toxic people, and another side of victims, because believe me when I say that it's vastly more toxic to a game to play like garbage, never desire to learn, and tell others trying to teach you that you don't need any help. More so than any rant in a match by incalculable magnitudes.

I'm not making it one-sided, I referred to the initial post. I don't distinguish between who is misbehaving - it's the toxicity that isn't wanted and there's no way that an insult will be benefitial to the game or player behavior.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 6

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,559 posts
9,086 battles
4 minutes ago, Crysantos said:

I'm not making it one-sided, I referred to the initial post. I don't distinguish between who is misbehaving - it's the toxicity that isn't wanted and there's no way that an insult will be benefitial to the game or player behavior.

Greetings, Crysantos

Now now, that part of the post wasn't even quoting you.

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles
22 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Now now, that part of the post wasn't even quoting you.

Ah sorry, misread that but that doesn't change what I wanted to say. I understand your frustration but it isn't as black and white as you paint it. We do invest time and effort to help players - and I absolutely agree that we need to get better at this. We do post e.g. map guides or just to give a recent example - a guide to how to play clan battles or the community spotlight articles. We displayed contributor guides ingame when the CB season started how to use specific TX ships when the player was inexperienced - we also use modes like operations to highlight certain aspects of the game and its gameplay. It's a process and we need to do this as a community. But we also have to accept to a certain degree that this is a game and players decide how they want to play it, you know this is true for any multiplayer game. You've been playing since Beta, you know random battles are the core aspect of the game - and that means random teammates, you'll never be in a situation where all players are on the same level as in - let's say clan battles. We're trying to offer a variety of modes to cater to different audiences and provide you with the best possible experience but we can only provide the framework, the players themselves decide how they want to use it.

When it comes to chat - this isn't something that our devteam is working on, it's something we're looking into as the EU community team to improve this situation. I think we're doing a much better job at working with feedback compared to 1-2 years ago and I think the upcoming patches will also reflect that ;)

Greetings, Crysantos

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,780 battles

Turning off chat?

Nope.

People can mute individual players or hide chat for a battle if it gets too bad.

Bad players being able to shut out critique completely seems like a bad idea.

Slightly OT:

Generally, isolating yourself from criticism is one of the biggest issues in today's society. Echo chambers and subjecting yourself exclusively to input confirming your beliefs is why we have President Trump and Brexit today.

Cultivating ignorance.

• Cool 1

Players
2,149 posts
3,836 battles
7 hours ago, Eazy_Rider said:

Best wishes to all.

Eazy.

Either you are doing something wrong and players in your MM are angry at you, or you just run into trolls which is regular in this game by now.

My suggestion for you is to try to get on with it or use Aslain or other mod for removing in game chat. You dont have to read what disturb you so that type of mod can remove it for you.

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,577 battles
1 hour ago, Crysantos said:

Heyho,

Have a nice weekend,

Crysantos

If you are that sorry, maybe you would learn players how to play? What you think about it?

Or as always, players are guilty... while you make game more and more arcade where skill is absolutely not needed... or brain... to win game? Random games are exactly like bot games, just bot kinda rush for objectives.

Blah blah we are sorry, but no one is checking why is this happening. Legit wg.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles
36 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

If you are that sorry, maybe you would learn players how to play? What you think about it?

Or as always, players are guilty... while you make game more and more arcade where skill is absolutely not needed... or brain... to win game? Random games are exactly like bot games, just bot kinda rush for objectives.

Blah blah we are sorry, but no one is checking why is this happening. Legit wg.

Please stay constructive, "blabla" doesn't help anybody - and the topic is about ingame chat behavior. We're not checking? We are and we're here to talk to you.

For a player to learn he has to be willing to learn, we can't force anybody - we can provide better tools and tutorials but at the end of the day it's up to everybody to learn the game by themselves, just like everything else in life. There are so many guides out there, a simple google search will do - it's how I learned to play to this game. Whenever I see somebody who has a question or seems to struggle with the game, I try to help or show them where they can find the help they need. Some do, some don't - but instead of labeling players guilty or bots, I'd recommend reaching out a helping hand instead of insulting. It has a way better chance of success to reach the player and you do your part to help the community.

Greetings,  Crysantos

• Cool 4

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles
1 hour ago, Crysantos said:

Greetings, Crysantos

You might identify them as two separate problems, but in a lot of cases they are very closely related. There is an obvious direct correlation. In many cases the "toxicity" builds up after encountering unnecessarily annoying episodes again and again. Those are the drops that eventually fill and spill over in game chat. There are too many to mention, but let's just say that when you start feeling that all your efforts and all the time you spent learning the game wastes to nothing because of things beyond your control, you will eventually get frustrated enough to release your pressure valve in chat. Sometimes the disparity between those who care a lot about the game and those who don't care so much becomes too great. I know this because it's happened to me personally many times before, and I'm not normally a toxic person at all. Neither in real life nor on this forum.

I'm not saying that this is the reason for every toxic episode, but I am saying that in the majority of cases, I believe this to be true. If WG seriously wants to lessen toxicity, they need to address the problems that causes the disease, instead of just curing the symptoms.

One such problem is AFK players. An inactive player is detrimental to a team, yet there is a lot of AFK players. This makes people upset, because they've dedicated 20 minutes of their free time to be engaged in activity that is marred by this one (or more) player(s). Intentional or not - that is what it results to. Now, I know that WG is working on an automated anti-AFK system and I applaud you for that. If it works, I think it will be a great tool to lessen toxicity and improve the general game experience. Good on you for doing that! We need more real remedies like this instead of a fake report system.

• Cool 3

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,222 posts
11,308 battles
1 minute ago, Tubit101 said:

You might identify them as two separate problems, but in a lot of cases they are very closely related. There is an obvious direct correlation. In many cases the "toxicity" builds up after encountering unnecessarily annoying episodes again and again. Those are the drops that eventually fill and spill over in game chat. There are too many to mention, but let's just say that when you start feeling that all your efforts and all the time you spent learning the game wastes to nothing because of things beyond your control, you will eventually get frustrated enough to release your pressure valve in chat. Sometimes the disparity between those who care a lot about the game and those who don't care so much becomes too great. I know this because it's happened to me personally many times before, and I'm not normally a toxic person at all. Neither in real life nor on this forum.

I'm not saying that this is the reason for every toxic episode, but I am saying that in the majority of cases, I believe this to be true. If WG seriously wants to lessen toxicity, they need to address the problems that causes the disease, instead of just curing the symptoms.

One such problem is AFK players. An inactive player is detrimental to a team, yet there is a lot of AFK players. This makes people upset, because they've dedicated 20 minutes of their free time to be engaged in activity that is marred by this one (or more) player(s). Intentional or not - that is what it results to. Now, I know that WG is working on an automated anti-AFK system and I applaud you for that. If it works, I think it will be a great tool to lessen toxicity and improve the general game experience. Good on you for doing that! We need more real remedies like this instead of a fake report system.

First of all, thank you very much for this good post. I agree that they are linked to a certain degree but being angry of frustrated doesn't make insults right, even though I can relate to the anger or frustration sometimes ;)

When it comes to the reasons pointed out we do try to improve the situation. As you've mentioned we're working on a better system for the anti-AFK /unsportsmanlike conduct (Link: click me) and also when it comes to how the game highlights teambased efforts (like potential damage or spotting damage - see this link). We'll continue to work on this as well as on other topics and I hope you acknowledge that we do - on the other hand we also need to change the mindset of players to help each other instead of raging at each other.

Greetings, Crysantos

• Cool 4

[LEGIO]
[LEGIO]
Players
579 posts
7,397 battles

Hello guys. Many here complain about bad players. I get it. And i understand that it sometimes pisses many off, including me. But what some seems to miss is that there are acctually quite some haters in game. That start to harass and throw out pure hate. And THAT doesn´t have anything to do in game. If a player won´t listen on advice from a good player and instead start to be rude. Then he have made himself to a target. Like many say. Just to ignore him. But what to do about those haters? Because they DO exist.  They pest this lovely game. 

• Cool 1