You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Capra76

Distribution of ship classes by tier

18 comments in this topic

[TTT]
Players
3,573 posts
7,449 battles

These are EU only I take it? Or worldwide?

Either way, very interesting! Thanks!

Players
3,453 posts
7,229 battles
2 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

These are EU only I take it? Or worldwide?

Either way, very interesting! Thanks!

Yep, EU only.

Maybe I'll do the same for the NA server at some point in the future.

• Cool 2

[TTT]
[TTT]
Tournament Organizer
107 posts
13,782 battles

that ... must have been a ton of work 

impressive, and thanks for doing it

Players
28 posts
7,585 battles

The graphs are really interesting. Thanks for putting them together :cap_like:. If you don't mind me suggesting an improvement, do you have the actual values of each class? E.g. BBs had x million plays whereas CVs had y thousand plays so we can see if the change in percentage is also due to the amount of increasing new players playing it (e.g. BBs) and less people playing it (e.g. CVs) Thanks ^_^. 

Also to nobody's surprise, all CV numbers have pretty much dropped dramatically until now. :(

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,577 battles

I see huge two drops for CVs but atm I forgot why those happened. First one back in 2k15.. anyone?

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,079 posts
3,758 battles

Very interesting ...

Repartition is quite good lately at T6 and 10, but things are really not good at 7, 8 and 9.

[TTT]
Players
3,573 posts
7,449 battles
28 minutes ago, Admiral_Qwert said:

Also to nobody's surprise, all CV numbers have pretty much dropped dramatically until now. :(

the thing with the CV numbers is, they may not be as dramatic as they look... I mean, the theoretical maximum number for CVs at high tiers here is 1/12 or a bit over 8% - with that in mind, the what? 4 or 5 percent? we've got aren't actually that bad...

[FOF]
Players
38 posts
8,469 battles
28 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

I see huge two drops for CVs but atm I forgot why those happened. First one back in 2k15.. anyone?

If i remember correctly there was a time where there could be more than one CV in higher tiers or a T8 CV could get matched against a T9, also the loadouts got changed around a lot just after release. (there used to be a 0-5-3 Haku i think)

Players
3,453 posts
7,229 battles
25 minutes ago, Admiral_Qwert said:

If you don't mind me suggesting an improvement, do you have the actual values of each class? E.g. BBs had x million plays whereas CVs had y thousand plays so we can see if the change in percentage is also due to the amount of increasing new players playing it (e.g. BBs) and less people playing it (e.g. CVs) Thanks ^_^. 

This is it for T8, but it's not very easy to read because the amount of games played varies wildly form week to week.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.d69a43e0dfc8cd2348daf840cb9c2d03.png

Perhaps more useful is a series of snapshots 6 months apart:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.43c58055f3bdc4a674e4e33ebffd8546.png

image.thumb.png.c4d7c306b12e1211f8646a46f8a0ba6e.png

image.thumb.png.05e20a58d8e153127852de72ba1fd875.png

Although as that's only one weeks data at a time it might be a bit unreliable.

• Cool 3

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,577 battles
22 minutes ago, Chimanski said:

If i remember correctly there was a time where there could be more than one CV in higher tiers or a T8 CV could get matched against a T9, also the loadouts got changed around a lot just after release. (there used to be a 0-5-3 Haku i think)

I dont remember that haku but I do remember different tiers of cvs and 2  vs 1 etc.

Edited by Boris_MNE
Typo from phone

Players
527 posts
7,937 battles

It might be interesting to compare the relative values at each tier to the number of ships of each class available at that time. While i certainly won't deny that a preference for BBs has been evolving since the start of the game and that interest in CVs and cruisers has been going down, i'm gonna bet that we'll see at least some effect of the number of different ships available or made available.

Just to give you an example of what i'm talking about: When i started, i soon played every single line in the game, which were USA and JAP at that time: 2 CV, 2 BB, 2 CA/CL, 2 DD. Then the russian DDs and the german cruisers joined the fight and i also started their grind. Relatively speaking, the proportion of my BB battles in lower tiers went down just because additional ships of other branches were made available, i already had completed the low tier grind on other lines and i focused the now ones. If we look back at what happened lately, we got the french BBs, the pan-asian DDs and the british BBs, so i assume that i spent more time with them, at least in the low tiers.

This effect should only be counteracted by a large enough influx of new players.

Players
1,201 posts
4,944 battles

These charts are great! They show the direct link between the number of BB's vs the number of Cruisers across T5 to T7  - When there's lots of BB's there's less cruisers and the opposite is also true to the point they're actually mirroring each other where as DD and CV numbers are relatively unaffected. At higher Tiers it slowly starts to equal out until T10 where it seems very balanced for Cruisers.

At T9 & T10 it was the disastrous IJN DD Nerf which paved the way for BB numbers to start to rise and now at every tier except T10 BB's are the most widely played ship class and the game has suffered for this.

I remember posting back in Sept '16 just after the German BB release that the large increase in BB numbers was here to stay and, as a consequence, cruiser numbers were going to suffer heavily because of it (compared to pre-German BB times) and those charts just go to prove my point.

Players
28 posts
7,585 battles
4 hours ago, Capra76 said:

This is it for T8, but it's not very easy to read because the amount of games played varies wildly form week to week.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.d69a43e0dfc8cd2348daf840cb9c2d03.png

Perhaps more useful is a series of snapshots 6 months apart:

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.43c58055f3bdc4a674e4e33ebffd8546.png

image.thumb.png.c4d7c306b12e1211f8646a46f8a0ba6e.png

image.thumb.png.05e20a58d8e153127852de72ba1fd875.png

Although as that's only one weeks data at a time it might be a bit unreliable.

Thanks a lot :cap_like:and yeah, it really is interesting to see how many games each class got even though the data is pretty hard to read on a compound bar chart (I know its a pain for loads of data but adding a value to each sub-bar really helps when reading it! It also helps to compare the charts because each chart has a different scale for the Y axis). From those charts (though with a good spread, unreliable due to too sparse a sample) You can see that number of CV plays has remained similar but steadily fallen.

From what I can read, the 31/03/2018 graph that it is ~5000 battles at T10 whereas during 30/09/2017 it was ~9000 and finally 01/04/2017 it was ~8000 which shows how CV numbers have stayed roughly the same however recently it is slowly decreasing (may be due to all the AA power creep and how unfun it is to play CV now with so much AA for many players). 

In comparison, the numbers (From the stacked area chart - the first one) clearly show a substantial increase in BB players whereas DD numbers have decreased slightly.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,115 posts
11,275 battles

Don't forget that the arrival of the KM BB line finally meant a fast and sturdy battleship at T7 (and for everyone as it is a silver ship). A battleship that is quite tanky, actually able to maneuvre, able to cross the map quickly and even featuring torpedoes. And while the 21kt Colorado as well as the 25kt Nagato have more and bigger guns they both feel like a step back in their respective lines (from New Mexico and Fuso; both of which will be able to give a 12-gun salute), while the Gneisenau plays like a huge step forward from the Bayern and also sets the mood for the tiers to come.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,962 posts
5,445 battles

Amazing work man. Thx for sharing :Smile_great: