Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

[Thought] - When dismissing a Captain all their skill points get converted to Elite Captain XP

18 comments in this topic

Players
1,205 posts
4,944 battles

Hi all,

I have about a dozen Captains of various nationalities that I don't really need who all have between 4-10 skill points. However, if I was to dismiss these Captains currently all the various skill points they have earned so far would be lost, so would it be a reasonable idea that, when you dismiss a Captain, all their skill points get removed and added to the Elite Captain XP pool?

For example, using the Captain XP chart for the WoWS Wiki page (Here), this is how much you Elite XP would get back when dismissing a Captain -

Skill Points         Amount of Elite Captain XP gained

4                                        14,000
       5                                        23,000
       6                                        37,000
       7                                        58,000
       8                                        88,000
       9                                      129,000
      10                                     183,000 etc

You're not getting anything for "free" as you've already earned those points and you're having to dismiss a Captain to get hold of them, so I can't see a negative for WG to say no about the idea however what's your thoughts? Have I missed something very obvious or am I genius? :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

Would be nice, not likely to happen, though. It would, quite obviously, make

- reward/line split compensation captains more valuable (even unneeded captains could serve as a source of elite XP at least)

- elite XP less valuable (with more ways to acquire it)

It would be a significant change to this aspect of game economy, not a simple QOL improvement. After all, EVERYONE has a bunch of 4-10 skillpoint captains they don't use - now they are a waste of space. Converting them to elite XP would - from the get go - generate a relative flood of elite XP. What's more, it would give quite a lot of elite XP to players who have no natural way of accumulating this resource (no 19-point  captains). And seeing how lack of elite XP means that you need premiums for captain re-reaining OR gold to skip it - or you're going to be stuck with "orange" captains on stock ships?...

It's no small change. It would be a nice change, don't get me wrong - but hardly a tiny thing you present it as. It would take a huge decision about game economy on WG part - and they just don't seem willing to go in that direction (notice how we're still getting special commanders witn X skillpoints rather than special commanders + elite XP to get hem X skillpoints if we want).

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
605 posts

But if you dismiss a captain and get all the xp, you can skip retraining and make a new build for free.

• Cool 5

[HEROZ]
Players
600 posts
5,869 battles
13 minutes ago, _ramrus_ said:

But if you dismiss a captain and get all the xp, you can skip retraining and make a new build for free.

Ok, so this wont work. So we need a penalty. 20%? 25%? Seems about right. Everyone has useless captains. Too low and too many to use. Thiis is a good idea. just need good implementation to avoid overuse.

[1DSF]
[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,257 posts
3,752 battles

Simply NO, when you dismiss a captain his XP are lost!

And i think it should stay as it is!

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,809 battles
50 minutes ago, _ramrus_ said:

And this is why it will not happen - the economy of the game is based around using up the resources you generate (and buying ships/premium) and 'encouraging' you to spend real money to accelerate things, including captain retraining and barrack places.

21 minutes ago, Arakus said:

Simply NO, when you dismiss a captain his XP are lost!

And i think it should stay as it is!

^This. XP is gained by the captain, not the player .... ::cough, cough, cough::. :)

Players
1,205 posts
4,944 battles

Good points, I hadn't thought about people being dishonest (not sure thats the right word TBF) enough to "game" the system like that. Although the -25% (or even -50%) penalty would help stop that I think that, due to the nature of people trying to "game" the system, while it's a nice Idea WG probably won't go for it.

However it's interesting to see how many posters think it's a bad idea, I'd have thought virtually everyone would have liked some Elite XP, obviously not!

One point - the Player has earned the XP, the captain doesn't select battle and sail itself, so the players earns it but the Captain gets awarded it - a subtle difference.

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

Assuming I have more sense than money, which is not far from the truth, I buy lots of captains with 3 skills for 25 gold and then I dismiss them. Get 1 fully trained captain without any game play. I support this idea :Smile_Default:

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
13,688 posts
10,389 battles

That would be a very easy way to get Elite Captains XP. WG will never do it.

Maybe with a 10:1 ratio.

38 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

However it's interesting to see how many posters think it's a bad idea, I'd have thought virtually everyone would have liked some Elite XP, obviously not!

That is not about liking, that is about realism. Everyone would take 10 million Elite Captains XP, but it is unlikely that WG would give that to us.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,882 posts

Since you need to retrain captain after moving it to the new ship, some kind of penalty would have to be applied. And since you could shuffle this experience all over other lines, another penalty would've to be added on top of previous one. What you are effectively talking about is captain experience transfer and if it made any sense for WG, would have to be done with the use of gold. There is already mechanic in the game for it. You can convert elite ship xp to free xp and then use it to train/retrain captains.

Players
128 posts
3,194 battles
4 hours ago, TigerMoth said:

Assuming I have more sense than money, which is not far from the truth, I buy lots of captains with 3 skills for 25 gold and then I dismiss them. Get 1 fully trained captain without any game play. I support this idea :Smile_Default:

I thought this would work out to be really expensive but it isn't actually that bad. Around  £17 for 214 captains by my calculations.

I would.

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

Elite commander xp build up rather quickly if you have one 19pt captain at least. Clan wars further escalate this. Currently at 1 mil which will likely serve to retrain my Yueyang cap and push my german dd cap up from 10pts.

There is no need for more afaic.

Players
1,205 posts
4,944 battles
15 minutes ago, Goats_Beard said:

I thought this would work out to be really expensive but it isn't actually that bad. Around  £17 for 214 captains by my calculations.

I would.

Yeah, thats why WG wouldn't do it, I didn't even think about devious (still not sure thats the right word) people doing stuff like that. Ah well, guess I'll have to keep all my spare captains doing sod all but wasting space for now then!

10 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Elite commander xp build up rather quickly if you have one 19pt captain at least.

I've got about 5-6 but the point was more based upon - I have X useless captain that I want to get rid of, wouldn't it be nice if I could get something back if I did - only it turns out that people would game the system so much that WG would never even consider it.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
26 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

I've got about 5-6 but the point was more based upon - I have X useless captain that I want to get rid of, wouldn't it be nice if I could get something back if I did - only it turns out that people would game the system so much that WG would never even consider it.

If you give players something to be abused, it WILL be abused. You do know of the "MM rigging" by divisioning with a lower tier CV that has to be matched against equal-tier CV, thus ensuring that the other ships in the division will never be bottom tier (and on some tiers where CVs have protected MM: will always be top tier) unless they meet similar division? :Smile-_tongue:

Realistically speaking, the "dismiss for elite XP" (if WG wanted to implement it) would need to be paid for and/or only give you a fraction of the experience. Imgine XP from dismissed captains being stored in some pool that you then can tap much the way you use XP generated on elited ships. If it were to have a free component at all, it would probably go something like that:

1 doublon/100 XP -> convert at 1:1 rate to elite XP

1000 credits/100 XP -> convert 100 XP into 25 elite XP (so for a million credits and 100k dismissed captain XP you can get 25k elite XP)

free -> convert 100 XP into 5 elite XP (so you get, for free, only 5% of XP stored in the pool)

More likely than not, though, there wouldn't be any free (be it completely or paid for with credits) option on the table - just like with free XP, only converting XP from captains to elite XP would probably be cheaper. IF, that is, WG even wanted to implement some system like that in the first place (though they might, it might actually give them some extra monie :Smile_coin: ).

Players
65 posts

Speaking of captains...

I think I ve lost my US actor captain by putting it into the montana (rented) for clan battles ?

Is this a bug? I didn't had any US ship active he was in the reserves at that moment...

So since the captains do not go to the reserves but the original ships (absent from my tree) then I guess I ve lost him?

[HAERT]
Players
2,047 posts
9 minutes ago, HelldiverGr said:

Speaking of captains...

I think I ve lost my US actor captain by putting it into the montana (rented) for clan battles ?

Is this a bug? I didn't had any US ship active he was in the reserves at that moment...

So since the captains do not go to the reserves but the original ships (absent from my tree) then I guess I ve lost him?

Unlikely that it's lost, if it is then it's a bug.

You know that particular captain was renamed John Doe as the deal with the actor in question has been ended? Check your reserves hopefully John Doe will be in there.

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,047 posts
1 minute ago, HelldiverGr said:

No! I didn't know that,

Thanks for the answer yes I have John Doe. :)

Result then, glad I could help a bit.

Sign in to follow this