You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
chaosrealm93

fletcher, gearing and PA DDs

15 comments in this topic

Players
444 posts
6,366 battles

im on the fletcher and im 10k XP short until i can get gearing,  but i hear from some the gearing is more of a "sidegrade" rather than an upgrade

i can sorta see what they mean.  you get 1 more gun and they fire a little faster, the torps are a good bit longer range but do less damage and the ship rides higher

so thats where the PA DDs come in.  im in the T7 gadjah mada and contrary to flamu's raving praise of it being a strong ship,  i cant make it work that well.  reminds me of the mahan,  even after the torp range buff,  it was iffy for me.  

should i stop at fletcher?

should i continue PA DDs?

do they get better from T7?

what are the tripping stones i need to know about?

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

Hsienyang seems like a downgrade from Gadjah, but Chung Mu is as strong as Fletcher imo and I believe YY will be well worth it too. However, if you don't like Gadjah, you might not like the rest of PA line.

Gearing is a tougher ship than Fletcher to make work - it's easier to rely on fastloading torps in Fletcher. Gearing is also just clumsier and eats more damage. I had to change it up a bit to get Gearing to work after having enjoyed Fletcher. I'd say Gearing is potentially more fun though. It is an upgrade over Fletcher, but a slight one, and probably takes more skill to handle well.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,068 battles

I have a similar situation.

Im at Gadja ... and I dont like it as much. Very situational. I think I will push forward for Chung Mu and T10.

As for Gearing ... yes Fletcher does seems a better ship ;)

• Cool 1

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles

gadjah is excellent ship (kept it in port). correct way to play it is to use its stealth to sneak upon enemy dd and kill them. then proceed to torp everything else.

hsienyang is okish. nothing too special (it is not a bad ship, it is just MM issue that it gets paired against better dd mostly).

chung mu is another excellent ship. i am enjoying this ship so much that i am still playing it after buying yueyang.

• Cool 1

Players
674 posts
7,950 battles

I have the Gearing, Shimakaze and Yeuyang.

The Gearing if played properly can be an excellent ship but relies more on team support than the Fletcher in games that I have played lately.  Alone you are vulnerable because the Gearing is sluggish so I have ensured I have CE which takes my detection range down to 5.9km. Remember that other Destroyers can achieve better concealment so always be prepared for then, Kagero is 5.4km and Yugumo is 5.5km.. TA is a must as it gives your torpedoes the extra speed but does not impact too much on your range  and I find that when firing torpedoes now at any range over 10km it is best to fire wide spreads..I flag up to ensure 15% extra flooding potential. If detected and you run keep watching your rear and as soon as a ship fires on you change your direction to reduce damage possibilities. In battles I never use AP shells unless taking on another DD...

I have also over the last 72 hours found a trick where I can take on certain Battleships 1v1 without needing to hide nor smoke, but not all BB's mind, using the four forward guns to flame the target.

Last night, I chased down an Alsace to about 9km and staying on his stern following his every turn burned him down before finishing him with 3 torpedoes. Every time he fired his guns I tried to make sure my bow was dead straight on to his stern limiting the effectiveness of his shells. I took damage, but before another ship nailed me, the Alsace only took about 1/3rd of my HP before he went down. Izumo is another favourite for this tactic...

If you get the Gearing play the DD to your strengths, so if you prefer to use guns make the ships biased to this and likewise torpedoes, also I suggest you keep your Fletcher...I still have Tier IX DD's that I play.

Players
961 posts
4,863 battles

Well, the Gadjah was okay and quite fun, though I disliked the short torp range. I  only played a hand full of battles in the Hsienyang, it is pretty much a c hull benson without def aa. The chung mu is a great ship all around. I'm playing her with radar to compare the performance to the one I had on fletcher. 

The gearing took me some getting used to, but she is a fantastic ship. She is an ever so slight upgrade, simply because the Fletcher is just some hp short of being TX herself. 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,563 posts
6,392 battles
3 hours ago, chaosrealm93 said:

should i stop at fletcher?

At 10k XP? Dude, you're like a couple games from it

Three-feet-from-gold.jpg

i hear from some the gearing is more of a "sidegrade" rather than an upgrade

i can sorta see what they mean.  you get 1 more gun and they fire a little faster, the torps are a good bit longer range but do less damage and the ship rides higher

Compare them like this:

Fletcher

• 17.1k / 20.25k HP
  • Guns 5x1
  • 90 shots / min = 54k HE pen dpm
  • Torps 2x5
  • Torp reload 106s
  • Torp speed 66 kts
  • Torp range 10.5km
  • Torp dmg 19k

Gearing

• 19.4k / 22.9k HP (+2.3k / +2.65k)
  • Guns 3x2
  • 120 shots / min = 72k HE pen dpm (33.33% dpm increase)
  • Torps 2x5
  • Torp reload 136s
  • Torp speed 66 kts (71 kts with TA)
  • Torp range 16.5km (13.2km with TA)
  • Torp dmg 17.9k

What I see there is - more health, a third more dpm (if both lose one turret it's still 11.1% ahead) with torpedoes that have same speed / that are faster (TA) and that have vastly longer range / that have noticeably longer range (TA) while having 30s worse reload and sacrificing 1.13k dmg per torpedo a.k.a. better & more easily usable torps that do very slightly less dmg. Being a bigger target probably isn't fun, but Gearing is the only DD to have 21mm armour plating all over its sides which only russian 130mm HE can pen without IFHE (you need at least 129mm gun to HE-pen 21mm armour) - unless I missed something everyone else uses 127mm / 128mm guns with 20mm HE pen.

so thats where the PA DDs come in.  im in the T7 gadjah mada and contrary to flamu's raving praise of it being a strong ship,  i cant make it work that well.

Gadjah is fun with IFHE (not going to say that it's a smart idea but that's how I did it), as you get 25mm of HE pen - you can pen all t7 and below BBs as well as basically almost every cruiser you meet almost anywhere. Also you can get all 6 guns on target while being almost bow-on so you can chase pretty much every DD you meet and kill them while they run away

do they get better from T7?

Well, tier 8 is C hull Benson (a ship you already know just the 4 turret AA version, but without DefAA), tier 9 is a Fletcher (ship you already know) and tier 10 is Allen M. Sumner class - Gearing class was just a modified (extended by a few meters) version of this class. So go judge for yourself if they will be good

what are the tripping stones i need to know about?

Torps don't hit DDs, that one is pretty important :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[SOCKS]
Players
695 posts
5,290 battles

GD is a godly destroyer in the right hands. Permasmoke, 6 guns, 360º gun rotation, napalmthrowing fire chances, 10 DWTs. Little more needs to be said. Yes, gun traverse isn't great (who cares given their 360º rotation) , torpedoes take long to reload (no big issue given that you're given 5 per launcher and if well aimed they're almost guaranteed to hit) and arcs while kiting aren't great (still you get 4 guns firing at anything but directly rearwards). So it's downsides aren't that big. In fact the way I see it the only real drawback that matters is that the torpedoes don't hit destroyers. That's how amazing I think this ship is.

I'm not bothered with going past it though. I don't care for a worse Benson (C hull without DFAA),  I'm keeping my fletcher (so why playing Fletcher 2.0), and I don't see much point in the yueyang once I get the Gearing. Yes, it might be somewhat smaller and harder to hit, but I'd rather take torpedoes that can hit everything and the defensive AA anyday over that size advantage and stealthier torpedoes.

Players
3,278 posts
6,868 battles

21mm hull plating on Gearing combined with her width is more of a curse than a boon - AP, even from destroyers can do massive damage to Gearing while ship itself eats BB AP pens all the time. Short range gunpower is excellent, making even Kebab worried, long range torps are actually useful at sniping people in 2nd line, who are less likely to evade incoming fire.

Not as fun as Fletcher IMO, but in right hands certainly not useless. PA Fletcher and Gearing are actually better due to tad better concealment and more useful smoke. Lack of DFAA can be disturbing at times tho

Players
444 posts
6,366 battles
6 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

At 10k XP? Dude, you're like a couple games from it

Three-feet-from-gold.jpg

Compare them like this:

Fletcher

• 17.1k / 20.25k HP
  • Guns 5x1
  • 90 shots / min = 54k HE pen dpm
  • Torps 2x5
  • Torp reload 106s
  • Torp speed 66 kts
  • Torp range 10.5km
  • Torp dmg 19k

Gearing

• 19.4k / 22.9k HP (+2.3k / +2.65k)
  • Guns 3x2
  • 120 shots / min = 72k HE pen dpm (33.33% dpm increase)
  • Torps 2x5
  • Torp reload 136s
  • Torp speed 66 kts (71 kts with TA)
  • Torp range 16.5km (13.2km with TA)
  • Torp dmg 17.9k

What I see there is - more health, a third more dpm (if both lose one turret it's still 11.1% ahead) with torpedoes that have same speed / that are faster (TA) and that have vastly longer range / that have noticeably longer range (TA) while having 30s worse reload and sacrificing 1.13k dmg per torpedo a.k.a. better & more easily usable torps that do very slightly less dmg. Being a bigger target probably isn't fun, but Gearing is the only DD to have 21mm armour plating all over its sides which only russian 130mm HE can pen without IFHE (you need at least 129mm gun to HE-pen 21mm armour) - unless I missed something everyone else uses 127mm / 128mm guns with 20mm HE pen.

Gadjah is fun with IFHE (not going to say that it's a smart idea but that's how I did it), as you get 25mm of HE pen - you can pen all t7 and below BBs as well as basically almost every cruiser you meet almost anywhere. Also you can get all 6 guns on target while being almost bow-on so you can chase pretty much every DD you meet and kill them while they run away

Well, tier 8 is C hull Benson (a ship you already know just the 4 turret AA version, but without DefAA), tier 9 is a Fletcher (ship you already know) and tier 10 is Allen M. Sumner class - Gearing class was just a modified (extended by a few meters) version of this class. So go judge for yourself if they will be good

Torps don't hit DDs, that one is pretty important :Smile_trollface:

i meant stopping at fletcher as in saving the money and not buying the gearing.  i only have 17M in credits, so practically broke.  if theres a ship elsewhere thats better, id rather spend it on that than gearing

well the gadjah just feels unresponsive.  turrets are slow, reload is slow, arcs are high and rudder feels somewhat sluggish

i was just wondering if it gets any better down the line

not being able to torp DDs is an ok tradeoff for those deepwater torps

[W_I_G]
Players
3,168 posts
9,352 battles
38 minutes ago, chaosrealm93 said:

i meant stopping at fletcher as in saving the money and not buying the gearing.  i only have 17M in credits, so practically broke.  if theres a ship elsewhere thats better, id rather spend it on that than gearing

if you are having troubles with credits you should have bought missouri. it had great credit earning potential and it only cost 1 credit :Smile_trollface:

Players
444 posts
6,366 battles
43 minutes ago, robihr said:

if you are having troubles with credits you should have bought missouri. it had great credit earning potential and it only cost 1 credit :Smile_trollface:

:cap_book: youre telling me........

i only have 60k of free xp 

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,708 posts
13,150 battles

Upgrading from Fletcher to Gearing is tricky because both play different roles. Fletcher is a torp boat with usable guns, Gearing is a knife fighter with usable torps. Both are excellent at what they do but they require different playstyles.

Thing is that you won't be able to tell whether or not you will transition well into the Gearing before you actually play her (obviously). Best advice is probably to go to the PTS client and see for yourself.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
99 posts
7,446 battles

I am one of rare people that find Gearing better than Fletcher.

Gearing's DPM wrecks all DDs in knife fight. Also, 4 guns forward means you can chase and kill more easily than Fletch.

If I want to play torp boat, I'll play Shimakaze or Yugumo.

However, the advice to be fully bow in when BB shoots AP... You must have been lucky. I got 16k damage on such Gearing with one Monty salvo. BB AP hurts when you're in Gearing. A lot.

Players
1,421 posts
10,081 battles

TL;DR: Get the Gearing.

55 minutes ago, MMASK said:

I am one of rare people that find Gearing better than Fletcher.

Gearing's DPM wrecks all DDs in knife fight. Also, 4 guns forward means you can chase and kill more easily than Fletch.

If I want to play torp boat, I'll play Shimakaze or Yugumo.

However, the advice to be fully bow in when BB shoots AP... You must have been lucky. I got 16k damage on such Gearing with one Monty salvo. BB AP hurts when you're in Gearing. A lot.

This.

I'll start off saying I'm biased, I love my gearing so much I bough at permanent camo. Initially I didnt play it much though, preferring to grind the Russkies. 

The downside of the gearing: It takes more experience to drive.

The downsides:

I didnt like it initially, but the guns and torp range sold it to me. The problem is turning circle and rudder shift time. Acceleration and engine power is on par with the fletcher. 

It is necessary to work around those - avoid situations where they are a liability like preemptively leaving smoke screens that are about to get torped (and generally constantly pay attention to where torps might come from)

The advice to sail bow-in to BBs is questionable at best. Most times it means taking multiple 3-4k AP pens.

Also taking TA is questionable as TAE is better, and TA turns the Gearing into a fletcher with slightly more torp range and much worse reload.

The selling points:

The frontal turret arrangement is insanely more powerful than what the Fletcher has. Gearing will beat anything but Z52 with hydro (and possibly Khaba) in a 1v1 and beat it handily.

Torps are amazing - Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition (or those 16,5 km torps). The 30s additional cd can be mitigated with torp reload module + TAE bringing the reload to a tad over 100s (before AR kicks in).

Whether you opt for max gun DPM or torp reload is a choice. Both can work, but in a meta where BB AP is the arbiter of victory I tend to stick with torps.