You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
chaosrealm93

slower speed = tighter turning circle?

11 comments in this topic

Players
444 posts
6,365 battles

is this reality or is this just fantasy

if you make a turn at 1/4 or 1/2 speed,  do you get a tighter turning circle than a turn at full speed?

probably just placebo..... but people say it does

what about the number quoted in the ship stats?  is that for full speed turning?

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

I can answer one part. You do get a tighter turning circle at slower speeds.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,550 posts
5,022 battles

This might be of interest (from the NA server): https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/151218-ship-turning-circle-and-french-ship-questions/?_fromLogin=1

Short version: tightest turning circle usually at 3/4 speed, but your bow moves faster (relevant for dodging stuff) at 100%...

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,696 posts
13,135 battles

Less speed = less drift = tighter turning circle. There is a relation between speed and displacement here, which is why DDs drift a lot and BBs barely do.

I believe the turning circle stat in port is the minimal turning circle without drift.

Spoiler

Obligatory

4dc.gif

Players
444 posts
6,365 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Reveal hidden contents

Obligatory

4dc.gif

GAS GAS GAS

IM GONNA STEP ON THE GAS 

TONIGHT BABY ~

Players
879 posts
11,126 battles

You might laugh, but it does work. Nobody knows how, but it doesn't matter.

Spoiler

As far as WG is concerned, this is illegal modification, but as you don't actually screw with the client, it's nigh impossible to trace back as long as you don't open the window in your room.

[TS1]
Players
463 posts
7,152 battles

For some reason I get the feeling that you get the tightest turning circle if you first go at full speed, then pull the brakes and turn as hard as you can. Though that might be because then you pass through that 3/4 speed that those stats seem to support, but that feels like a boring reason, so I'm gonna go with the racecar drifting reason. :Smile_playing:

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles

Might just be my imagination, but I do get the feeling on some of the ships with slower rudder shift, decreasing speed helps give your ship more time to actually move the rudder before colliding with an island.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,554 posts
6,379 battles
10 hours ago, chaosrealm93 said:

if you make a turn at 1/4 or 1/2 speed,  do you get a tighter turning circle than a turn at full speed?

Afaik you get the tightest turn at around 20-ish kts so that would be like 1/2 speed for fast ships (like DDs) or 3/4 for slow ones (like BBs)

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
9 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Might just be my imagination, but I do get the feeling on some of the ships with slower rudder shift, decreasing speed helps give your ship more time to actually move the rudder before colliding with an island.

Indeed especially faster battleships travel quite long distance in time it takes for rudder to turn fully to get full turning effect.

But also destroyers benefit from it, because of their high speed.

2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Afaik you get the tightest turn at around 20-ish kts so that would be like 1/2 speed for fast ships (like DDs) or 3/4 for slow ones (like BBs)

That around 20 knots might well be right considering how Gremy's handling feels.

Often driving it by minimap while still keeping looking at enemy or even in zoomed view...:cap_cool:

Certainly if collision seems to be close dropping throttle usually guarantees clear pass.