Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Why the Asashio is fine (to WG).

71 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles

The Asashio is perfectly balanced, and ready to release as is or with minimal adjustments, this I have concluded as counterargument to the naysayers.

If it is OP all WG need to say is “we made a mistake” and pull it from sales. But not before players rush to grab themselves an OP toy.

And a none-OP ship will never sell, no?

And if it is not OP it is lauded as an “everyman’s ship”. WG is praised, it becomes a staple seller, and WG gains profits anyways.

And no ship WG releases will ever be too OP that a pull-from-sale is insufficient to address. Think the old breed premiums and a few singular new premiums which were ... bit too purposefully designed to be “considerate” to the player/buyer. 

That is because they will always have the following traits:

1. A slight but obvious flaw or downside is designed right within their primary armament. A “tradeoff”. But otherwise performs “marvellously” against the “intended targets”. And no idiot will be trying to use it against “unintended targets” right.

2. Their primary armament will only cause significant stress for a minority portion of players at a time. And at least one portion of the population will be a direct counter to this ship. (OP CVs will only cause stress to other CVs. OP DDs will be hunted by other specific ships or the meta in general and OP CAs will always eat a citadel or two.) This means that at any given time the amount of players crying to WG will only be a minority, and thus unable to generate great disorder on forums or anywhere else. And their situations will also be a minority experience thus unlikely to garner much support. Especially CVs.

3. Its strengths may be spread out between polar scenarios and situations, but still OP in each. This is to prevent the statistics reflecting on how OP they are. (A ship may have great AA but it’s other strengths will be something far detached from AA. A ship strong against cruisers will be strong in another place as well but these additional strengths are unlikely reflective or active at the same time as the same situation it is in vs cruisers.)

4. Possibility of a common “critical failure” situation must exist for that ship, either via hard design or in “noob trap” scenarios where inexperienced players will choose an option or build for that ship which is inefficient and astoundingly failure. In this way WG can claim that the ship “is balanced and not OP”. Experienced players however will have no trouble using the ship to sealclub efficiently. In short the stats and examples of the inexperienced players becomes a publicity smokescreen for the real purposes of that ship.

5. Another premium ship in a completely new direction and different type will be envisioned and released to high publicity after the previous premium direction is “saturated” or at “high-publicity risk”. Via rotating between methods and redirecting players’ attention, based on careful analysis of prior situational feedback, WG is able to sustain a cycle of success. A purposefully “weak” or “show” premium is released every now and then to add variety and break the pattern of these cycles, and high-profile, historically esteemed ships are usually dealt with more cautiously and deliberately. 

6. The premium ships are “MM” safe meaning they will be viable both undertier and as top tier. This is a highly attractive trait because it takes out a major stressor in the game. It is also part of the tactic of “far apart” OPness. Combined with economy and Captain training, this ensures players are psychologically soothed when using the ship to game. This trait is viable because of WGs philosophy of introducing purposeful stressors into their games, even to the point of purposefully “crippling”

silver ships (with exception of T10s which will never have to face a direct premium competitor as WG does not release T10 premiums). In short, premiums are the ideal and obvious solution (too obvious) to the chaotic and toxic problem which is the game itself.

7. Good players cannot recognize or be sensitive to quite a lot of these traits since they are good and will perform and enjoy the game even through a lot of the negatives. They provide a kind of false advertisement and debased goodwill/positiveness on the purpose of premiums. To the point that we think “premiums are gimmicky, quirky situational ships that require skill to play well.” Amongst other understanding things. In short it is unwitting propaganda. But as I have made points of already, the purpose of premiums is not some scholarly venture at new possibilities and creativity in this game, but rather a highly controlled and engineered conundrum leveraged on players to elicit specific conformity and reaction. Premiums will always be OP and preferable, but not obviously. Just like the game will always be F2P but many other things as well. 

Now I must prepare for my trip to the Gulag. (But not before I give penance to all the seals I have clubbed with premiums.) Been nice knowing you all.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

There are many premiums considered (by good players) overpowered. There's general consensus about a notable bunch of them - so, contrary to what you claim, if good players generally DON'T agree that a ship is OP, I'd strongly consider believing their opinion. Because I know, for a fact, that it's not true - as you try to imply - that they wouldn't call an OP ship OP.

Also, you're making "this ship is good at some things and bad at others" (as a design feature) into an accusation? That's basically how balancing goes for anything that's not supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades. And it's hardly just the domain of premiums - there are ships (even entire lines) that stand out through pronounced strengths AND weaknesses. And yes, these ships (surprise surprise) tend to be REALLY good at their specialty - and, therefore, extremely dangerous if the player can use their strengths while somehow covering weaknesses at the same time.

Perhaps the best example of a super-specialized (more so than almost all premiums) ship would be Akizuki - the slow, sluggish t8 DD that happens to carry enough firepower to blunder into the optimal range of t10's best DPM-focused knifefighter... and maybe not win (assuming equal skill and no support) but still give the enemy one hell of a fight and some REALLY deep scars.

• Cool 4

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,522 battles

If WG have judged Atlanta by it`s AA balance against CV`s it meets it`d have to be pulled from sale in 10 seconds flat.
It`s the same with Asashio. It gets tons of backlash from it`s intended targets: sleepy BB spawncampers.
And yes - Asashio is a complete garbage if you want him to do anything but killing BB`s, since it can`t even spot safely if it doesn`t win an initial DD fight, and it can`t do it because again - It`s completly unable to win a fair DD vs DD fight.

Arguing that BB`s supporting their frontline will be hurt the most is also not valid.
In fact they won`t be hurt at all, because in such situation Asashio would be no different than any PA DD, however PA DD can also burn said BB to death rather quickly through smoke-firing, aswell as defend his smoke from DD rush through sheer gunpower.
Of course if you attempt a YOLO-rush into Asashio`s smoke (or known position) in a BB you will get torped to death. but if you do this you deserve to be torped to death.

Communicate with your team (that`s the hard part for most players i see), send DD`s (or even CA`s) ahead of you, and Asashio will be no threat to you.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
20 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

It`s the same with Asashio. It gets tons of backlash from it`s intended targets: sleepy BB spawncampers.

Actually, it gets tons of backlash from many very different players, including many dedicated DD-players that really don't have much to personally fear from this ship.

23 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

Arguing that BB`s supporting their frontline will be hurt the most is also not valid.
In fact they won`t be hurt at all, because in such situation Asashio would be no different than any PA DD

This is completely false. Let me compare Asashio with tier 10 PA DD (two tiers higher)

Asashio's torps:

- reload 112 seconds

- speed 67 knots (72 with torp acceleration that can be taken with no real tradeoff thx to ridiculous range)

- damage 20 966

- 2x4 launcher with torpedo reload booster that can "add" another 2x4 on top of that

PA torps

t8 option A:

- reload 122 seconds (10 seconds worse)

- speed  55 knots (12 worse)

- damage 16 633 (over 4k worse)

- 2x4 launcher

t8 option B:

- reload 120 seconds (8 worse)

- speed 61 knots (6 worse)

- damage 15 866 (about 5k worse)

- 2x4 launcher

t9:

- reload 106 seconds (6 better)

- speed 66 knots (1 worse; 71 with torp acceleration but the trade-off is pretty big)

- damage 19 033 (almost 2k worse)

- 2x5 launcher

t10:

- reload 136 seconds (24 worse)

- speed 68 knots (1 better; 73 with torp acceleration that, however, brings much more noticeable, though minor, trade-off)

- damage 17 900  (3k worse)

- 2x5 launcher

Also, Asashio's torps cause floodings more reliably, but lets ignore that and only talk alpha:

Asashio has similar (+/- 10 seconds) cooldown on torps that hit significantly harder, are much faster than t8 PA eqivalent (and comparable to t9 and t10, but with torp acceleration being much more comfortable skill pick) and can be actually sent as a monstrous 4x4 (instead of 2x4) salvo if TRB is ready.

So, no. The situation of facing an Asashio and a PA DD when pushing in a BB is, actually, noticeably different. As in the "I get hit hard" vs "I get dev-striked from full hp" kind of different.

I don't expect Asashio to ever become popular enough to be a real problem but the ship is really badly designed from the gameplay perspective and it WILL punish the aggressive BBs rather than campers.

• Cool 8

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles
9 hours ago, eliastion said:

Also, you're making "this ship is good at some things and bad at others" (as a design feature) into an accusation? That's basically how balancing goes for anything that's not supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades. And it's hardly just the domain of premiums - there are ships (even entire lines) that stand out through pronounced strengths AND weaknesses. And yes, these ships (surprise surprise) tend to be REALLY good at their specialty - and, therefore, extremely dangerous if the player can use their strengths while somehow covering weaknesses at the same time.

Some ships have weaknesses that are actually balanced.

Others, as Intentioned, are merely “conveniences” or “for show”.

Does it really matter if a CV bad secondaries bad AA and a fat citadel, as long as it has AS consumable and is out of range of most fighting?

Does it matter if s cruiser is a floating citadel if it has Uber smoke and super-range guns so most of the times it isn’t even in the fight?

Does it matter if a DD doesn’t even have smoke when its concealment is 99 and is extremely fast? Or torp-based playstyle so it never has to reveal itself thus never have to use smoke?

Not all shortcomings are “balanced”. I know my examples are bit extreme but you wil notice premiums go out of their way to make sure the “balanced” factors are in this “conveniently misplaced” style.

Also care to examine the other listed points as well?

• Bad 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
2 hours ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Does it matter if s cruiser is a floating citadel if it has Uber smoke and super-range guns so most of the times it isn’t even in the fight?

Yes. It does.

Does it matter if a DD doesn’t even have smoke when its concealment is 99 and is extremely fast? Or torp-based playstyle so it never has to reveal itself thus never have to use smoke?

Yes, it does.

Not all shortcomings are “balanced”. I know my examples are bit extreme but you wil notice premiums go out of their way to make sure the “balanced” factors are in this “conveniently misplaced” style.

Your examples are bad because two of the three are actually legitimate drawbacks that would have an impact on overall balance of the ships in question - extreme vulnerability of a cruiser makes you vulnerable to "blind-shooting" into smoke and don't get me started on actually getting caught by Radar or a DD that gets close enough to spot you, a stationary sitting duck, when you sit comfortably blasting away from your smoke with guns. The ridiculously stealthy DD you mentioned, on the other hand, has no option to open with guns from (own) smoke and/or smoke her allies. Actually, have you heard of the stealthiest t7 DD in the game? Go tell people that fusing smoke and TRB in a single slot (forcing a choice) was not a big nerf because she's too stealthy to need smoke :Smile_sceptic: Or we could talk about the stealthiest DD in the game instead - do you think Kagero wouldn't be buffed by letting her have both smoke and TRB? She's so stealthy, after all, nothing is stealthier than her!

Yes, there are more and less important things for various ships. What you miss is that if something is mostly inconsequential, it's also ignored as weakness/strength, making your whole point moot. There was (hell, still is) quite a lot of controversy around Graf Zeppelin design and balancing - but somehow it was always about her planes, not secondaries. I wonder why.

And especially when the "good players" say that a ship is not OP because (insert some obvious weakness) - believe me, they aren't mentioning bad secondaries on a CV either.

PS:

Also care to examine the other listed points as well?

Not really, I would normally mostly shrug at a post of this kind, but I got a bit annoyed by your attempt at preemptively discrediting any informed opinions contrary to yours by claiming that "good players" are idiots that get easily fooled by pseudo-weaknesses and are inherently incapable of recognizing overpowered ships. So, yeah, I answered to that. The rest is just a more-or-less standard "Premiums are OP and WG is an evil conspiracy" rant that I don't feel much need to address specifically point-by-point :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,080 posts
3,758 battles

Asashio doesn't work marvelouosly against designated targets, it works too well, you simply cannot evade a deep water torpedo that you spot yourself.

As Asashio is a DD, it will be near caps and so its first targets will be the BBs close to caps, who are well played BBs.

The sniping BBs from line B will have few chances to get hit ; hitting with a torp at 20 km can't be done reliably, a DD with 2 brain cells will target the closer BB first.

So Asashio as it is now will just punish people that play BBs the good way. This is why good players don't like it, it's not an OP shp, it's a toxic ship.

• Cool 13

[PLAN]
Beta Tester
235 posts
12,024 battles

A single premium ship can not solve the problem of BB overpopulation. But it will be enough to make game atmosphere worse. 

• Cool 5

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,522 battles
10 godzin temu, eliastion napisał:

This is completely false. Let me compare Asashio with tier 10 PA DD (two tiers higher)

Asashio's torps:

- reload 112 seconds

- speed 67 knots (72 with torp acceleration that can be taken with no real tradeoff thx to ridiculous range)

- damage 20 966

- 2x4 launcher with torpedo reload booster that can "add" another 2x4 on top of that

PA torps

t8 option A:

- reload 122 seconds (10 seconds worse)

- speed  55 knots (12 worse)

- damage 16 633 (over 4k worse)

- 2x4 launcher

Yeah, but assuming you rush you will be pointed nose-in, so after nose gets damage saturated it makes no difference at all. And if you get caught broadside against either Asashio or Hsienyang it will also make very little difference, but in most cases you will die to both ships (170k vs 130k salvo - take your pick in a 60-70k hp BB) - some T10 BB`s might survive a full salvo from Hsienyang.
And as a sidenote i`ll remind you that in such scenario good ol` Kagero will be as "OP" as Asashio.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles
1 minute ago, Infiriel said:

Yeah, but assuming you rush you will be pointed nose-in, so after nose gets damage saturated it makes no difference at all. And if you get caught broadside against either Asashio or Hsienyang it will also make very little difference, but in most cases you will die to both ships (170k vs 130k salvo - take your pick in a 60-70k hp BB) - some T10 BB`s might survive a full salvo from Hsienyang

Contrary to popular belief, playing a BB aggressively does NOT automatically imply rushing any smoke you see.

What's more, BBs are actually incapable of dodging torps that appear straight before them, heading directly at their bow - so in this particular scenario it doesn't even matter if the torps are DWT.

What you managed to miss is the fact that there's the slight middle ground between "directly bow on" and "directly broadside on".

So, let's think of three scenarios:

1. A BB is perfectly bow-on and you can't really circle to torp more from the side, for whatever reason (narrow channel, perhaps).

- PA DD: you can land 2 torps somewhat reliably (one per launcher). 4 if you get really close and risk missing with everything by misjudging how fat the BB was. Assuming starting with full HP, the enemy easily survives - in fact, these 2 torps won't even hit the damage saturation cap for the bow. If one of the torps almost-misses there's still a chance of hitting the midships but that will only reduce damage.

- Asasshio: you can land 4 harder-hitting torps somewhat reliably (as above, there's a chance of up to 8 if you get close). If the enemy is damaged, that would be the end for them. If not, damage saturation will save them but they are crippled. Also, if you wait with the second launch, you can get a guaranteed perma-flooding that will definitely end them. If one of the torps almost-misses there's still a chance of hitting the midships to further increase the damage.

2. A BB is almost perfectly broadside on

- PA DD: you have a chance of dev-striking them (but things like Yamato will likely survive - you won't usually land ALL the torps, even on something that big)

- Asashio: you have a much better chance of dev-striking them and you still get your TRB to hunt the next target or finish the job

3. A BB is angled

- PA DD: you can score a couple torps and deal significant damage but are unlikely to destroy a full hp enemy

- Asashio: with TRB (16 torps instead of 8) you can reasonably expect to blow the target out of the water through combination of bow, stern and side-connecting hits

18 minutes ago, Infiriel said:

And as a sidenote i`ll remind you that in such scenario good ol` Kagero will be as "OP" as Asashio.

Kagero torps are spotted from 1,7km - won't do anything for broadside or bow-on target but can minimize the damage on an angled one. They are also likely to be slower (few people will take TA skill on Kagero - on Asashio it has no significant trade-off, however) making Asashio's torps even harder to react to, even if they get spotted prematurely (by hydro, plane, other ship etc).

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles

@eliastion Well thank you for taking the time to entertain my points anyways.

I still think that premiums are some sort of “in-tier tier 10s” which have their weaknesses rounded out and strengths more strongly characterised than normal silver ships, just in the same way T10s are generally superior to their same-tree predecessors in more ways than just being a higher tier. They are consciously and deliberately designed to be “better” “more convenient” and “strong”, if not very powerful.

But meh. Let’s make a bet. If WG releases Asashio as is or with minimal adjustments not changing the core of her character and ideal, I win. And if they don’t, then my points are wrong and I apologize for the accusations and confrontational stance.

If they do though, then we can start looking at how some of my points or logic directions may have some sense to it, because WG decided to release it despite such overwhelming amounts of feedback and even an unofficial petition to refuse acceptance of the ship.

Because, as I observed, much of the feedback generated not only adhered to the listed points above, but even served to SUPPORT them in beneficial ways/right as expected. Possibly emboldening WG. Thus 90% of what we typed in the other thread is for moot. And if ship moreso has good sales after that, and is quickly forgotten about when the next OP toy rolls onto the line, then it is truly a win for WG.

P.S. You can also think of this thread as my futile attempt as an idea of a final weapon. After 90% fails.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[UNICS]
Players
324 posts
4,522 battles
37 minut temu, eliastion napisał:

1. A BB is perfectly bow-on and you can't really circle to torp more from the side, for whatever reason (narrow channel, perhaps).

- PA DD: you can land 2 torps somewhat reliably (one per launcher). 4 if you get really close and risk missing with everything by misjudging how fat the BB was. Assuming starting with full HP, the enemy easily survives - in fact, these 2 torps won't even hit the damage saturation cap for the bow. If one of the torps almost-misses there's still a chance of hitting the midships but that will only reduce damage.

- Asasshio: you can land 4 harder-hitting torps somewhat reliably (as above, there's a chance of up to 8 if you get close). If the enemy is damaged, that would be the end for them. If not, damage saturation will save them but they are crippled. Also, if you wait with the second launch, you can get a guaranteed perma-flooding that will definitely end them. If one of the torps almost-misses there's still a chance of hitting the midships to further increase the damage.

If you hit the nose damage saturation won`t allow any damage past second treshold, therefore yes - it`ll be eaisier to do in Asashio, but potential damage would be the same.

37 minut temu, eliastion napisał:

Kagero torps are spotted from 1,7km - won't do anything for broadside or bow-on target but can minimize the damage on an angled one. They are also likely to be slower (few people will take TA skill on Kagero - on Asashio it has no significant trade-off, however) making Asashio's torps even harder to react to, even if they get spotted prematurely (by hydro, plane, other ship etc).

Yeah, but in case of a Kagero you can`t get behind a DD/CA to 100% reliably spot torpedoes before they get to you.

Also again - if you get devstriked by a DD you did something wrong. No matter what DD that was.

3 minuty temu, KarmaQU_EU napisał:

I still think that premiums are some sort of “in-tier tier 10s” which have their weaknesses rounded out and strengths more strongly characterised than normal silver ships, just in the same way T10s are generally superior to their same-tree predecessors in more ways than just being a higher tier. They are consciously and deliberately designed to be “better” “more convenient” and “strong”, if not very powerful.

This

I`ll be really happy to see Asashios on the enemy side, so i can win without much fuzz.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

But meh. Let’s make a bet. If WG releases Asashio as is or with minimal adjustments not changing the core of her character and ideal, I win.

It literally is no longer Work in Progress for a while now - so there's nothing to bet about, really. But what I don't understand is why exactly you believe that Asashio getting into the game in her current state in any way validates your points...

Asashio isn't a very good ship. Her glaring deficiencies make her an overall worse ship than silver ships like Kagero, Benson and Akizuki as well as same tier premiums. The problem is that what she really excels in (threat to BBs that try to play aggressively) is not what she supposedly was meant to do (punish camping BBs) AND that she encourages passive play (both from her captains and from enemy BBs). She's disliked for being a BROKEN ship (as in, badly designed from gameplay perspective), not an OVERPOWERED one.

This, however, in no way means that balancing of strong points against weak points is a bad idea. The problem is with specifically Asashio's strong and weak points not being a well thought-out set of traits, making her a bad addition to the game.

2 hours ago, Infiriel said:

If you hit the nose damage saturation won`t allow any damage past second treshold, therefore yes - it`ll be eaisier to do in Asashio, but potential damage would be the same.

Asashio is likely to deal more damage if torps actually all hit the bow (actually getting to the threshold - hardly guaranteed for Hsienyang) AND she will certainly deal more damage if one of the torps scores the lucky (for Hsienyang: most likely UNlucky since torp damage reduction kicks in and Hsienyang has problems saturating the bow in the first place) "scraping" hit on the midships AND (depending on how she plans her launches) she might have a second set of torps thx to the TRB to inflict flooding on the weakened enemy with DCP burned on the first flood...

Sure. Completely the same damage potential... :Smile_sceptic:

2 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Yeah, but in case of a Kagero you can`t get behind a DD/CA to 100% reliably spot torpedoes before they get to you.

Oh, so now we're no longer talking about BBs but about fleet play? Nice attempt at moving the goalposts. But you still fail there - DDs are safe from PA torps too and a BB that hides behind cruisers hardly sounds like an aggressively playing BB anymore.

3 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Also again - if you get devstriked by a DD you did something wrong. No matter what DD that was.

Yes. Problem is that "something wrong" might be "trying to play aggressively with Asashio on the enemy team". Either way, this bit of trivia you provided has absolutely no bearing on whether Asashio is more dangerous to pushing BBs than her PA equivalents.

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

It literally is no longer Work in Progress for a while now - so there's nothing to bet about, really. But what I don't understand is why exactly you believe that Asashio getting into the game in her current state in any way validates your points...

Asashio isn't a very good ship. Her glaring deficiencies make her an overall worse ship than silver ships like Kagero, Benson and Akizuki as well as same tier premiums. The problem is that what she really excels in (threat to BBs that try to play aggressively) is not what she supposedly was meant to do (punish camping BBs) AND that she encourages passive play (both from her captains and from enemy BBs). She's disliked for being a BROKEN ship (as in, badly designed from gameplay perspective), not an OVERPOWERED one.

This, however, in no way means that balancing of strong points against weak points is a bad idea. The problem is with specifically Asashio's strong and weak points not being a well thought-out set of traits, making her a bad addition to the game.

She is a broken ship because she is toxic. WG went a bit overboard with their adherence to their own rules this time. This has allowed me to observe and hypothesise the rules because of their slip”.

She is a toxic ship not because she is unbalanced or flawed, but because she encourages selfish anti-teamwork play.

She is basically strong against any BBs at all, and this gives her justification to play selfishly, putting her own needs and priorities above the team and of the match, so she can enjoy her own kind of stress-free, one-minded gameplay. It resembles the kind of self-entitled behaviour and mindset this game tries to subtly instill, celebrate, and monetise on in players. The people mentally able to perceive it are disgusted by this kind of action in WG.

And she is not a worse ship, if the player does not play to the selfish “trap” playstyles. A skilled player in an Asashio can very much influence a game and lead their team to victory even with the limited tools given. Did you know 20km torp Shimakaze is actually very viable and able to exert strategic influence if played right? But that is very high level tactics. 

I once had to try to contribute to a game in a 64 hp Fletcher since 5 minutes in because I gave it all to contest midcap at the beginning. I baited, torped, spotted ships, screened for allies, used guns while in smoke, used guns while they were not aiming at me, free-capped, pretended I was another DD, even gun-fighted another DD near the end via ambush despite the danger of dying from a single hit.

And that is what I mean by nothing matters, nothing will change, the Asashio will be released and playable. More playable to some players than others. But the unspoken things sacrificed in order for that to happen. Only players truly supporting the game will understand.

Edit: not to mention that the only things these DWT will do is punish the players who actually try to push instead of the campers.

Players
123 posts
3,141 battles

Well, Asashio is WG's response to all those "buff IJN DDs" chants. Too bad that it's actually the OP/border-line OP ships that bring in the dollars. The best example that I can think of presently is the difference in sales between Giulio Cesare and Roma. First they introduced an easy-to-play BB that is (un)fairly competitive even when bottom tiered. It is evident that sales soared and so did criticism about it being too strong when compared to it's peers .

Next, they introduced a highly anticipated BB that needs a higher skill cap than an average BB needs in terms of dealing damage and influencing the battle (positively, of course).

Unfortunately for them, sales were so bad (If I heard that correctly) that they ended up giving away some of them to a few lucky winners. Either way, it seems like a pretty hard task for WG to make a fairly balanced ship AND earn profits at the SAME time.

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles

Soon this game will be all about premium ships of various mutated OPness battling each other while normal silver ships are the side-dishes.

WG dug a hole with their short-sightedness and greed and we helped to fill it with water. Now it is becoming more and more tactless spoiled fun for people who only want to club others arcade style with no care for the warships themselves except if they are OP or not.

The move of WG opening up with generosity with containers and signals could be seen as a prelude to this shift of “use an op premium or bust”. The silver ships are simply not worthy it any more, they might as well give them out for free so people don’t cry while getting clubbed.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,695 posts
10,594 battles

The people mentally able to perceive it are disgusted by this kind of action in WG.

You misspelled "paranoid enough to imagine".

And she is not a worse ship, if the player does not play to the selfish “trap” playstyles. A skilled player in an Asashio can very much influence a game and lead their team to victory even with the limited tools given.

Emphasis mine - you yourself notice how limited the tools are. If I could have a choice of super-unicum in Asashio or some 40% hero in some fantasy DD with Kagero stealth, Asashio torps (but able to torp cruisers and DDs) and a full complement of Gearing guns on top of that - I'd take the super-unicum in a heartbeat. But it doesn't change the fact that the other player's ship would still be vastly superior.

Asashio is still a Kagero hull. The guns can be used in a pinch and the best-in-game stealth is a powerful tool in and of itself. Of course one can have quite an impact on the match, even with really bad (few BBs) matchmaking. But it doesn't change the fact that Kagero is superior thanks to much better versatility.

26 minutes ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Soon this game will be all about premium ships of various mutated OPness battling each other while normal silver ships are the side-dishes.

WG dug a hole with their short-sightedness and greed and we helped to fill it with water. Now it is becoming more and more tactless spoiled fun for people who only want to club others arcade style with no care for the warships themselves except if they are OP or not.

The move of WG opening up with generosity with containers and signals could be seen as a prelude to this shift of “use an op premium or bust”. The silver ships are simply not worthy it any more, they might as well give them out for free so people don’t cry while getting clubbed.

Aaand now that's just straight-up rant that doesn't even pretend to be any attempt at analysis of the situation :Smile_sceptic:

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles

“I give up. When WG releases the Asashio I’ll make 3x Asashio troll divisions and kill only BB, as WG wanted. But otherwise we will camp behind cruisers.”

They are probably telling the community staff to post screenshots of great Asashio games on NA to liven up the hype. And make people want to buy it.

This what you wanted, WG? Conformity? This what you want for the game? A-A-A sterilisation divisions with prejudice against BBs and a balanced match?

Beta Tester
766 posts
4,327 battles

“Asashio is set for release, nothing we can do to change that.”

”... f—- this game”

”won’t buy this”

“Have fun if you get a game with only 2 BBs”

“Bad for everything, gameplay, teammate, game health!”

”if you have a BB problem go fix it properly not by release a stupid counter that is no fun at all”

”trash”

”0/10 IGN”

“Nah, it won’t (be op), it’s actually very weak and limited and I doubt most but the most experienced players will be able to use it effectively, versus BB players of the same skill.

For one higher tier maps have lots of rock cover breaking line of sight for torpedoes thus lowering their efficiency, especially torpedoes hitting BB only.

For 2 I doubt the BB won’t be screened by allies so the low detection range is actually mute a lot of the time. Besides, simply knowing the approximate location of the DD will prompt ships to sail in dodge maneuvers making it much harder for torps to hit them.

It’s just a two-way noob-trap that we all have to pay for with or sanity in-game.

And besides if the ships really were in a situation where you can easily hit them with torps then you could’ve easily hit them with any torps from any torp boat. Don’t need Asashio for that.”

-(off to gulag I go, rest of you post some screenshots and writeups praising Asashio or follow. :Smile-_tongue:)

[UNICS]
Players
2,786 posts
11,545 battles

lol at all the doom and gloom. Premium ships are always ideal and beautiful, are they not? Balanced and timeless in contrast to their silvership's counterpart :fish_cute_2:

• Funny 4

[RNSF]
Players
203 posts
11,774 battles

In my opinion releasing this ship is a mistake, its supposed purpose of countering static BB play will not work. I believe this ship will encourage far worse BB play as the BB's will now be even more reluctant to push or support their team in any way and will try to stay at the back to snipe. Knowing this ship is on the enemy team will cause the BB drivers to play so safe they will be useless to everyone.

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,043 battles

Asashio is completely fine because it allows cruisers to scout ahead for torpedoes without getting hit by them. Fair enough?

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,261 posts
7,954 battles
2 minutes ago, Bunnytob said:

Asashio is completely fine because it allows cruisers to scout ahead for torpedoes without getting hit by them. Fair enough?

Torpedo screening is mostly the job of DD...

Players
1 post
142 battles

I was about to buy the Alabama but after seeing the Asashio I will probably stop playing BBs. Why? Because you can't do anything to fight the Asashio in a BB,  you can't take any preventive actions to not get torped. You depend 100% on that other players in DDs protects you. Good luck with that in random battles if you don't play with friends. So I simply decided that I will not invest any money in either an Alabama or any other premium ships if Asashio is released I will seriously consider  a different game to play instead.  WG should lean from the mistake with the Defender (in WoT) and stop pushing premium ships that destroys the fun to play for most players. 

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,571 battles
39 minutes ago, Wickedus said:

WG should lean from the mistake with the Defender (in WoT) and stop pushing premium ships that destroys the fun to play for most players. 

They should also stop pumping out more and more OP BB's like there is no tomorrow as well. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Sign in to follow this