Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Suggestion: Instructor Program and Suite.

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
758 posts
4,290 battles

My motivation for this topic:

1. Seeing the other noob-kill thread.

2. Getting one of my ideas dismissed on the plain reason that it is “too complex for noobs”.

3. This is actually a valid topic.

———

Firstly I’ve been fortunate to not really have to face the noob problem myself. I had plenty of leg-time in CBT to learn the basics and had time in a good clan to learn the rest. I can play with or without noobs and I can enjoy the game with or without noobs. (Though still slightly dependant on mood).

And my conclusion is that WoWs is no more noob-unfriendly, no more complex, than any other multiplayer game out there, from RTS to shooters to MMOs to MOBAs. It is in fact quite straightforward and fair, e.g. can survive with some common sense, and can learn given some trial and error.

But not everyone can say the same. Some people are not even good at using a computer much less be an experienced gamer. 

Thus as a principle, we should not discriminate against “newbs” or even “noobs”. Sometimes they have all the right intentions and basic knowledge, but not enough experience and intuition to survive the situation, especially if it worsens. 

———

WG made an extremely detailed wiki featuring every single ship, their stats, strengths and weaknesses discussion, and recommended builds.

But these are still not obviously presented ... WG should add the wiki links directly to the port interface in-game.

It is only reasonable players aspiring to do well should put some effort into understanding the game in an efficient way with little collateral damage ... e.g. reading. But the community guides could use some perking up as well as more additions. And no one will reasonably browse through every single ship on the wiki before hopping into a game.

So simply having the guides and texts there are not enough. More effort should be made to allow easy access integrated within the game itself, such as a quick overlay/pop-up panel giving extremely quick overviews of new ships players encounter, or a quick-reference tab giving hover-over details of a ship right within the in-game interface itself, with reference history persisting after games so players can keeep reading later.

But in the end sometimes the quickes way is simply to have a real someone there to ask questions and converse with. Even an A.I. help-bot returning information based on key words, or even your stats, cannot provide the reactive feedback like a real human can.

Thus both an active “Instructor Program”, and a passive “Instructions Suite” should be designed, developed, and implemented into the game.

The “Instructions Suite” should focus on passive-interactive features within the game making life easier and more efficient for the player wishing to peruse information and providing tools to help them develop.

The “Instructors Program” will seek to garner the efforts of the community of good-willed players to provide an organized function to support the Instuctors Suite.

———

SUITE:

The current training room is a good example of “suite” but it is still not wholly efficient. Some functions should not rely on a match structure to load, i.e.

just want to test shoot at a ship. More data tallying functions and automatic calculations would also help. Finally the match structure function could be expanded to be able to “replicate” actual match layout and scenarios to experiment in, resembling chess problems. I know some of these ideas are unreasonably complex to develop but they are just examples.

And of course the aforementioned wiki links accessible at port, keyword search bot, and quick-info panel in-game.

More community guides should also be produced and presented giving qualitative knowledge to accompany the suite. The keywords searcher can include these as well. Community guides explaining basic mechanics will also be useful. However a general problem with current community guides is their lack of structure and optimization. Some are still too long and unappealing enough to make people read them. It’s will also make it hard for them to be catalogued for the search-bot.

A lot of other WG material such as bad advice and the ship girls comic on Asia could also be catalogued into this cross-region search bot.

More ideas incoming, feedback always welcome.

———

INSTRUCTORS:

Some other MOBA games out there have externally paid coaches and friends-for-hire with aim to carry you, coach you, or make your play more enjoyable. But those are external real-money transactions.

FFXIV has an internal mentorship program that is officially supported, but it has its controversies.

Some games have very lively main chat and community presence akin to a public discord channel where people just hop-in hop-out of games, and share their experiences as an indirect way of teaching.

I am sure there are more methods I do not know of as I did not do proper research.

LOL once had a player-based review-a-report function which was scrapped as better data analytics and a larger budget to hire dedicated staff became more reasonable and efficient.

But the key theme is that experienced players play a key role in bringing newer players to familiarity with the game. 

Obviously not for free ... respect by new players even just in ritual, odds and ends and grunt jobs in return, some official enticement and program by the company, or even more dedicated community hosts and staff with sole focus on keeping the game alive and healthy instead of streaming as marketing and focusing on their own things. 

It is usually a mix between community intent and company guidance + organisation that makes something formulate.

Instructor program can be (for example) a lottery based (but normalised so everyone eventually gets a chance) wait list where a division of 1 instructor and 2 students play a game or two together with active feedback provided. A part of their combined earned experience is added to the instructor as bonus free exp, based on rating by the students.

More complex versions of this idea could be to introduce higher skill level instructor rating and classes aimed at slightly proficient players, allowing consistency between instructors and students by assuming a multi-session regime, assigning “homework” or reading lists and answering some pre-prepared questions by the students and playing specific ships they have questions/want to train on.

Instructors will also be selected and maintained in a more holistic system than the “quality poster initiative” for instance. Undercover instructors as students for regular evaluation. Tiered instructors, class-specific instructors, etc. Instructor mastery level taken into account. Trials. WG briefs and short courses training. Etc. Structure and organisation. Cross-region resource sharing will be a must.

———

Ideally WG will make this game more structured and polished yet player-friendly and expansive in features. Such that there will be more ways to play and enjoy, but more things to learn, yet also more ways to find openings for programs such as these.

The suite should also be designed to be used and helpful to the instructors’ jobs as well, as both resource, system, and tool. Compatibility and synergy should be a priority focus on the design.

I await more ideas and public feedback from the forums.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
758 posts
4,290 battles

Original post here:

Almost forgot to mention the need for a proper “spectate function” as not all teaching and learning need necessarily  happen in live exercises.

[NED]
Players
4,002 posts
10,835 battles

To:dr.

What I'm actually wondering is the fact why d***heads don't use the suggestion thread on this forum.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,637 posts
13,063 battles
9 minutes ago, Ferry_25 said:

What I'm actually wondering is the fact why d***heads don't use the suggestion thread on this forum.

Because the Gameplay subsection gets more exposure obviously.

Back on topic:

I wouldn't mind coaching someone for a game or two tbh. I've already been approached by several newer CV players for advice (well, after I've crushed them), which I was more than happy to give. Only CV players so far though ironically.

Wouldn't exactly say that WoWs is as noob friendly as some other games, though. Even Counter-Strike nowadays has a better tutorial. The one in WoWs barely even tells you how to move and shoot. Basic things like angling are never touched upon.

• Funny 2

Alpha Tester, Players
5,112 posts
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

I've already been approached by several newer CV players for advice

dont forget , i can give you advices too^^

• Funny 1

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
5 hours ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Almost forgot to mention the need for a proper “spectate function” as not all teaching and learning need necessarily  happen in live exercises.

Actually that would work very well to show how to use different shell types and armor angling, with instructors in turns shooting each others.

Current Training Room could do that mostly.

[OCTO]
Players
588 posts
13,933 battles
20 hours ago, EsaTuunanen said:

Actually that would work very well to show how to use different shell types and armor angling, with instructors in turns shooting each others.

Current Training Room could do that mostly.

Isn't this what the clans are for? 

Sign in to follow this