You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Herbstnebel1975

It looks like we were not allowed to win that battle

5 comments in this topic

Question

Players
16 posts
2,979 battles

I started a battle with my Zuho carrier and after a minute I was in a dogfighter with my fighter squadron against the fighters of the enemy Zuho carrier. I had the benefit of the AA from 2 of my DD's and one CS. But still my fighters got destroyed and the enemy got away with 2 fighters left ?!?!?

How is this possible ? My captain has nine skills !!!

shot-18.04.06_14.27.36-0177.jpg

shot-18.04.06_14.31.59-0016.jpg

4 answers to this question

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,497 posts
6,351 battles
4 hours ago, Herbstnebel1975 said:
Spoiler

I started a battle with my Zuho carrier and after a minute I was in a dogfighter with my fighter squadron against the fighters of the enemy Zuho carrier. I had the benefit of the AA from 2 of my DD's and one CS. But still my fighters got destroyed and the enemy got away with 2 fighters left ?!?!?

How is this possible ? My captain has nine skills !!!

shot-18.04.06_14.27.36-0177.jpg

shot-18.04.06_14.31.59-0016.jpg

Air Supremacy skill, modules mounted (or even plane upgrades - are you fighters upgraded or stock?) on ship and general luck with the RNG - as others have said

I'll touch on another thing others didn't mention just yet:

ssoscdS.png

Correct skill selection goes a long way towards helping you, especially on ships like CVs or DDs.

Also that Dogfighting Expert skill (I marked it for 11 points or later) really won't help you. While it's nice to have that little bit extra amo, Zuiho already gets tier 6 fighter, so when you fight another Zuiho or even Bogues t5 fighter you don't get the damage bonus. 

• Cool 1

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,184 posts
10,951 battles

First: Most DDs deactivate their AA so they are not spotted. Even if active, it's so weak it will rarely help in fighter combats.

Second: You need this skill:

df2fb73fac.png

It adds one more fighter plane to your squad. If the enemy CV has it, he has the numbers advantage and will most likely win every dogfight. Even the AA won't help much, because it's very weak at Tier 4.

[CPC]
[CPC]
Quality Poster
2,077 posts
3,751 battles

Fighter to Fighter combat depends highly on RNG, but one thing is sure. The chances of killing an enemy plane depends on the number of planes in your squad.

Basically, you don't do damage to plane but the game calculates the chance to kill one plane : the formula is (DPS of 1 fighter x number of fighters in the squadron) x 100 / HP of 1 enemy fighter plane. Once or twice by second, the RNG rolls a die with this percentage.

So if the enemy CV has Air Supremacy, your chances of winning the fight are slimer, but more importantly, it means that the squad that loses a plane first will likely lose the fight, as its chances to kill an enemy plane are reduced because of this plane loss.

Getting support from teammates is a good idead but as Comander_Cornflakes said, DD often disable their AA guns to avoid getting detected and at this tier no DD has significant AAA, even cruisers  have weak AA guns (save maybe Murmansk and Omaha).

Players
16 posts
2,979 battles

Thanks for the advice for the skills. Once i've reached the 10th skill I reset them all and keep this in mind.

The AA of my teammates was activated (I checked it during the fight by zoming in) and the other carrier did not had an extra fighter in his squadron. Normaly I win those kind of fights 99% of the time. But with the support of 3 x AA (tier 4 & 5) i was pretty sure to win but I lost already one plane the first second of the battle....that was fast, like he was strafed but that is not possible for that tier ....