You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
PapVogele

Priority Target = Incomming torp alert?

8 comments in this topic

Question

Beta Tester
275 posts
3,405 battles

I'm in a BB, I fire, I see 2 people targetting me. Suddenly, that number goes down to 1, then 2 really fast after that, then 1 then 2 again. I slow down, turn my ship and boom, torps miss me. Now I tested this in a training room with a mate. Whenever I switch from guns to torps, my target resets, thus the priority target is reset. This means that whenever a ship with torps switches from guns to torps, if the target has priority target, he is informed of possible torps incomming and can take the appropriate action at that time.

Is this really intentional? To give priority target users such a huge advantage against an attack thats supposed to be stealthy?

7 answers to this question

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

If it is truly intended I cannot tell.

But it has been like this since they introduced the captain skill with the rework many moons ago and it is known to both the community and the officials of WG and probably Lesta.

Yes, as you described it is an advantage to players having skilled this and that are paying attention to this.

On the flipside you can also fool your opponent with this feature if you think he is paying attention to this.

If you keep your target locked while being in torpedo armament mode the whole time, he doesn't get an indication at all that he is targeted. Same goes if you "fake" a torpedo attack by switching between torpedo and gun mode.

So on the one hand it can be seen as an advantage on the other hand it is also a mechanic which can be used for trickery and fooling around.

You can do the same trickery with your main armament btw. Just lock on for a salvo and immediatly lock off again. If the shell flight time is ~10s he will have no idea what is coming.

[CATS]
Players
13,678 posts
10,389 battles

This known for a long time, but not 100% fool proof as other enemies might select you as a target and then select another one or the DD stays with torp selection.

Players
432 posts
9,194 battles

That's why Flamu advice DD player to always stay on torp when trying to sneak torp someone so he cannot see when torps are coming.

You also can use this when you're a DD. Stay on torps, for some time, launch them and if you see the target  change course, switch to canon then to torps then to canon again so he might change his course again into your torps.

Another trick for a BB this time: If you want to shoot at a broadside cruiser and don't want him to know that. Be sure to select another target until you can shoot. Select him briefly when you shoot and select another target again immediately.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,571 posts
6,401 battles

Priority target doesn't tell you when torps are being aimed at you, only main guns. A smart DD can drop torps on you without you ever knowing you were targeted. Also its fun to troll people by aiming at them and clicking "X" - that number constantly will be jumping up and down :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
275 posts
3,405 battles
39 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Priority target doesn't tell you when torps are being aimed at you, only main guns. A smart DD can drop torps on you without you ever knowing you were targeted. Also its fun to troll people by aiming at them and clicking "X" - that number constantly will be jumping up and down :Smile_trollface:

I’m still not good enough to torp using minimap :) so I have to use the target indicator, and I keep trying to stay with torps but reflexes make me switch to guns every single time i drop my torps :D

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,571 posts
6,401 battles
14 minutes ago, PapVogele said:

I keep trying to stay with torps but reflexes make me switch to guns every single time i drop my torps :D

This. Every single time :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
2,031 posts
5,930 battles
On 6-4-2018 at 12:45 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

At the beginning of the game I sometimes target enemy cruisers till they start turning away. Then I switch to another cruiser. I 'never' shoot but it will delay them getting where they want to go :P