Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Strefs

Update-Update: Kronshtadt, Asashio, Abruzzi!

3 comments in this topic

Community Contributor, Beta Tester
292 posts
5,119 battles

Update-Update: Kronshtadt, Asashio, Abruzzi.

Hello fellow forum dwellers! I have a few updates for those of you that have been laying low for the past week. So news for some of you, not so much news for others!

Right before Easter, Community Contributors got access to quite a few Test ships. I’m going to give a quick run-down of these ships, how they performed, and what the status on them is.

shot-18.04.05_21.10.18-0123.jpgAsashio NOT WIP

Let’s get the, uh, bad news out of the way first.

Asashio is now in her final form, and there were not too many changes, in fact, since the last test iteration, there have been no changes. She is no longer Work in Progress, and will likely be released in her current form. I am sorry to everyone who had hoped that there would be drastic changes to this ship, and while I was very vocal about how I don’t like the way this ship is developing, I have to accept that unfortunately, this is the way the ship is going to end up. How much influence this ship is going to have in the long run, I don’t know. Only time will tell.

Abruzzi WIPshot-18.04.05_21.12.24-0410.jpg

Anyone remember this ship? It was in testing before, way back, 5 months perhaps? Well, she has returned, and while her Branding is still WiP, she’s a very solid performer.
For those of you that paid attention the last time she was in testing, She was Duca D’Aosta’s bigger brother. Bigger, not having necessarily better armour adequate for her tier, but receiving little improvements, like an extra barrel at the front and aft, increased torpedo protection and somewhat more effective anti air.
Like the D’Aosta, Abruzzi has access to both Hydro as Defensive AA. In addition however, Abruzzi receives a Repair Party consumable, allowing her to stay in the fight longer, and not being crippled by a single unlucky battleship salvo. Overall this change alone makes the Abruzzi an amazingly fun ship to play, and I thoroughly recommend getting her over the D’Aosta for that Regia Marina Cruiser captain training. The interesting thing to note about Abruzzi is the discrepancy in shell speeds. While the D’Aosta enjoys a much faster AP velocity, Abruzzi has a blisteringly fast 995m/s HE shell, making her perfect for IFHE spec’d captains, it is also the arguably better choice of ammo for consistency in damage output. So while killing ships in D’Aosta feels like it is taking centuries, Abruzzi, albeit not too fast himself, whittles down targets at an acceptable rate. Getting used to the difference in shell speed does take some time, but the overall flat trajectories and fire rate make playing her very satisfying!

shot-18.04.05_21.11.01-0072.jpgKronshtadt WIP

Hey it’s that russian supersized cruiser! He should probably be a Battleship, but being a cruiser does carry it’s own perks!
Before I go on about that, let’s talk about the elephant in the room. Yes. Kronshtadt does get lolpen’d by everything (battleships) in it’s matchmaking bracket. He does have decent citadel protection, but that’s not going to stop Missouris, Iowas and Yamatos absolutely destroying you from the front.
His Armour is not enough to sustain HE fire from Cruisers or IFHE destroyers – Yes, even 155mm can hit you for ridiculous damage.
The AA found on the Kronshtadt, is, unfortunately, not very good. It’s passable at most.
On the Upside, he does boast a very good armour belt, and most cruisers will have a hard time penetrating that. he’s also the healthiest out of the cruisers.
Considering her size, he’s also quite fast at 33.5 knots, and has a maximum concealment of 11.3km. This, combined with cruiser damage control perks as well as the Oktyabr’skaya’s limited fast cooldown damage control, do allow him to stay in the fight for quite some time. His survivability is a bit lacking when fighting Battleships, but then again, which cruiser at tier 9 can say that they can do this effectively?
This, combined with the fact that he is bracketed as a cruiser, makes her to be a force to be reckoned with. If it weren’t for those, terrible guns…
It’s not that they are bad from a damage perspective. 305mm guns that fire every 17 seconds are truly something nice to have, and while they don’t overmatch, when they do penetrate, they do significant damage. Unfortunately, that would require you to hit your target, and Kronshtadt tends to not be in the mood to do that. While this is intentional, and probably a balancing factor, Kronshtadt’s performance is so heavily dependent on RNG, that it’s hard for me to say that this ship is enjoyable to play at the moment. Luckily, she’s WiP, and subject to change in the upcoming tests. I am looking forward to see what will be made of her in future updates.

shot-18.04.05_21.10.43-0654.jpgZ-39 WIP

Hmm, this is a strange one. She is identical to her last test, but this time she’s a tier lower. Virtually nothing changed, except for the fact that she is now a tier 7 ship. She retains the tier 8 consumable slot, allowing her to  have 6.1km concealment, making her one of the sneakiest destroyers at the tier. She also has one of, if not the biggest health pool - just shy of 20k - at tier 7. All in all, you could consider this ship overpowered, but her DPM and torpedo performance do bring her down to reality again. Solid ship. A problem I am seeing right now is the fact that her Hydro is outright better than the one found on Maass, which is not a good thing (looking at you LoYang).

shot-18.04.05_21.11.12-0126.jpgBuffalo WIP

I have to be honest, I am still grinding my way down the American Cruiser line, so I cannot go into detail about this one. First impressions of this ship, however, indicate that she’s a Baltimore that trades Concealment for DPM. Instead of 3x3 203mm guns, she receives 4x3 203mm guns, with a lowered reload of 12 seconds, but increased shells on target overall. No torpedoes, guys.

All in all a pretty exciting test cycle. With Gems like Abruzzi coming towards the end of their tests. A bit of a shame with the Asashio. Z-39 might need some extra work, and Kronshtadt definitely does. Buffalo offered an interesting sneak peak into the new CA/CL split.

Thoughts, Opinions?

• Cool 9

[SOR]
Beta Tester
1,757 posts
6,352 battles

Buffalo trades convenient turret setup, concealment, range and mobility for more HP, better AA and only 2.5% better dpm. I dont think that adds up, looks worsein my eyes. Then again I havent tested Buffalo and the pure alpha strike might may make up for it.

Also important thing to note is that Abruzzi has worse AP pen than Aosta. So while Aosta has some room to play around with the different shell types, it seems Abruzzi is limited to the HE or pens on 19, 25, 32mm platings. Saw briefly on Flamus stream and noticed that he shattered on Edinbruhs main belt at 8 km. Must be the worst AP pen outside of Atlanta on tier 7.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,527 posts
4,969 battles

Well, Abruzzi sounds rather promising, and Z-39 too.

Am I correct that, historically, most/all the USA's light cruisers didn't have torps (except the Atlantas)? Shame, I like the gun/torp mix - I supposed I do have most of the other trees for that though...

Sign in to follow this