Sign in to follow this  
Procrastes

Good Bye Orion, Hello... Ishizuchi?!

34 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,809 posts
2,024 battles

I confess that the title is a bit premature; I am not at all certain that the announced change to the Sigma values of the Orion will make the ship a goner. She is by most accounts too strong as she is now, and she will probably still be quite a good ship even with worse dispersion.

Still, what I am thinking about, now that I've gotten used to the smell of burning cruisers in the morning, is if there is another ship out there with the same capacity for cruelty to small ships as the Orion currently enjoys? The sheer sadistic pleasure of seeing your first salvo taking off half the hit points of an enemy Friant - not to mention setting two fires and wrecking her rudder, engine and torpedo tubes - is one self-serving (if arguably unsound) reason to get out of bed on weekends. And as I started off on some ship comparisons, it struck me that one tier IV ship with almost as high HE alpha damage as the Orion, is the faithful old Ishizuchi. Will she serve? Or is her armour/AA/[other vital characteristic] just too weak for her to handle herself as a proper seal club these days?

And before any of you say it: Yes, this post could very likely be used as evidence of moral turpitude. I am not always the upstanding internet citizen I pretend to be. :Smile_smile:

• Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
13,613 posts
10,385 battles

Use AP, obliterate cruisers in ONE salvo.

If Orion is not up to your standard anymore, Kaiser, Wyoming and Ishizuchi get the job done.

[IRQ]
Players
2,686 posts
6,353 battles
6 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That's the main problem I've had with the British BBs. You can't really use AP on cruisers, since you'll just overpen everything and do scratch damage (well, compared to what you could be doing). It's especially noticeable with Queen Elizabeth.

Other BBs, as mentioned, have AP that works better on cruisers than their HE.

[CATS]
Players
13,613 posts
10,385 battles

I have that problem on King George, but less so on the other UK BBs.

QE AP works quite well, but Warspite has the better shells.

Beta Tester
1,809 posts
2,024 battles
6 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Right you are, Sir! I do use AP as well on a regular basis, occasionally to that very effect. But with HE, I don't get all those annoying overpenetrations... and the collateral damage to the on-board furniture is simply hilarious.

Players
364 posts
2,750 battles
20 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

QE AP works quite well, but Warspite has the better shells.

I can agree with that: I managed to citadel a Tirpitz with the Queen Liz at about 12km, which was amusing and surprising in equal parts. It's just a shame that the tech tree RN BB's have a shorter fuse delay and worse penetration than their premium cousins, it really screws with you when uptiered.

On topic, Ishizuchi seems to be quite squishy when broadside. If you run into a low tier BB player who knows to fire AP (*stifles giggle* :Smile-_tongue:) and you are showing a bit of broadside, expect to eat a lot of citadels. But on the other hand I think the guns are okay, so you can dish out the citadels to BB's that don't know how to angle, as well as crush most cruisers. But in the current BB-heavy meta, any ship that isn't a BB is weak, so I'm sure ant T4 will serve you well.

[CORNG]
Players
586 posts
11,006 battles

I have Ishi, but she is surely not as strong as  unnerfed Orion. But as a Premium dont need a Captain and can be used to train Captains.  I think  Orion after Buff is still stronger  ans a good Sealclubber. But real seaclubbers are T4 DDs.    

[CATS]
Players
13,613 posts
10,385 battles
9 minutes ago, belalugosisdead said:

But real seaclubbers are T4 DDs.    

My Winrating on Tier IV BBs disagrees.

If your targets sail around like headless chicken, it takes time to sink them with short range DD weapons. The BB have more targets to chose from, thx to their range.

[CORNG]
Players
586 posts
11,006 battles
18 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

If your targets sail around like headless chicken, it takes time to sink them with short range DD weapons. The BB have more targets to chose from, thx to their range.

Best for Winrate in my Opinion is to kill the red DDs fast. Then you have the Caps and your own BBs, who Drive without WASD in Scope View, could not drive blind in Red Torps. After that, its still time to Kill the BBs. :-)    

Beta Tester
1,809 posts
2,024 battles

And destroyers make such funny sounds, when you hit them with HE shells from battleship guns. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SCRUB]
Players
6,915 posts
9,129 battles

Ishizuchi is absolutely FILTHY good if you play her like you would a heavy cruiser.

• Cool 4

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,803 battles

Ishi' all the way.... :)

Very nice with the HE against BB's (the AP is also useful against broadsidse BB's), her AP demolishes cruisers, helped by her speed also (which can also land you in a bit of trouble). AA not so good, but what ship has decent AA at T4.... Secondaries are also not useless, which is a bit of a bonus.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles

Ishi for me too ...

Was my very first premium ship back in 2015 and, sorry to say, utterly crap when it came out. 12,8 km range and no armor ... desaster.

Did not play it for a very long time and almost did not notice the buff it received. The actual range 15,3 km is more than sufficient, its very mobile and both AP and HE hit hard.

Very nice ship for a relaxed battle and works fine with every IJN BB cpt

Players
560 posts

is if there is another ship out there with the same capacity for cruelty to small ships as the Orion currently enjoys? "

Nikolai is crueler than Orion. Due to fantasy land sigma and minimal superstructure to troll any cruisers trying to whittle it down.

GC at a tier higher is another sadist BB.

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles

Well ... "sadist BB" is a bit harsh, isn`t it ... ? But some kind of OP-ness cannot be denied with this ship ... :Smile_trollface:

[POI--]
Players
3,185 posts
4,331 battles
On 4/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, Procrastes said:

Right you are, Sir! I do use AP as well on a regular basis, occasionally to that very effect. But with HE, I don't get all those annoying overpenetrations... and the collateral damage to the on-board furniture is simply hilarious.

Almost as fun as a devstrike is to knock out the engine twice in a row and watch the poor T3-5 cruiser dead in the water. Pretty much a death sentence anyway.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, philjd said:

AA not so good, but what ship has decent AA at T4.... 

Yuubari has ok AA for T4 and self-defence, other than that... Myogi, kinda. By far no AA fortress, but on C-hull, the ship gets some long-range 12 cm guns that can make it quite costly for slow T4 aircraft to stay around if they try to line up a torp run on a running Myogi.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,051 posts
14,065 battles

Just make sure to put yamamoto on it when u get that kraken.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,915 posts
9,129 battles
2 hours ago, Ysterpyp said:

Just make sure to put yamamoto on it when u get that kraken.

Pfft.

My go-to Ishizuchi captain is the one from my Zao. Demolition Expert FTW.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles
14 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Pfft.

Agree, tier 4 witherer for the win:cap_haloween:

Spoiler

05269daaa7.jpg

The Sushiboat is absolutely evil even without a megacaptain. Even with the introduction of the Orion the Sushi thanks to the number of guns and reload is pretty much the OG firestarter at tier 4.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,051 posts
14,065 battles
22 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Pfft.

you will be missing out on FP skill tho..

[SCRUB]
Players
6,915 posts
9,129 battles
1 minute ago, Ysterpyp said:

you will be missing out on FP skill tho..

Considering my Yamamoto captain is on my Akizuki however ...

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
1,051 posts
14,065 battles
1 minute ago, Aotearas said:

Considering my Yamamoto captain is on my Akizuki however ...

tachibana for extra lol?

Players
105 posts
1,663 battles

Prototype-Kongo is so much fun, I got one from a starter pack and it's easily the best £4 I've ever spent in WoT or WoWS

Tearing up the map with cruiser speed and workable armor while literally setting the world on fire. Just got to be careful with overextending because this thing does not spin round like a cruiser can. Also carriers love you because the AA is non-existent, though when you get it right and a 700ft long battlecruiser dances through an airdrop like a destroyer without taking a hit that feels pretty amazing. 10 fast firing guns that are by default loaded with HE are also pretty spectacular at wrecking DDs and cruisers, between that and the speed this is one of the few BBs I've played that can actively go hunt down destroyers.

I've since played though the Myogi which was okay and got the real Kongo which is an awesome ship even if it doesn't have Ishzuchi's firestarting potential.

Sign in to follow this