Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.

44 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
4,116 battles

This is a suggestion to provide a partial counter to Radar. Chaff or strips of aluminium foil of pre-cut lengths designed to foil radar. Automatically deployed a few seconds after being illuminated by Radar and turns your ship from a hard target to a blob say 5 times the length of the ship that persists for a short period of time, say half the duration of the enemy ships radar. This would allow for an attempt to break contact. If the detected ship keeps the diminishing chaff cloud between it and the ship that lit it up with radar the cloud would provide additional but diminishing uncertainty to the radar fix until all of the cloud is dispersed.  This will still allow for a far greater probability of your ship being hit but at least prevents being lit up by radar from being a death sentence as it currently is. A real world solution to a bigger in game problem than most are willing to admit. Thoughts?

• Cool 3

[EST]
[EST]
Players
688 posts
17,363 battles

Don't see the need. Besides russian radar would be useless then.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,524 posts
4,969 battles

Regardless of the desirability of chaff, you probably wouldn't want it to be activated automatically - besides being unhistorical (I think), the obvious counter to chaff would be to work in pairs of radar ships; the first fires its radar to trigger all of the chaff equipped ships in range, leaving the second carte blanche to light them up at its leisure...?

If the urge is felt to introduce chaff, it would presumably work a bit like smoke, only for radar (one or two 'puffs' only)?

Chaff would feel a bit out of place in WOWS though - as far as I know, it wasn't heavily deployed on ships until anti-ship missiles became a thing (people with actual knowledge feel free to correct me).

Players
2,260 posts
1 hour ago, LapsedxPacifist said:

This is a suggestion to provide a partial counter to Radar. Chaff or strips of aluminium foil of pre-cut lengths designed to foil radar. Automatically deployed a few seconds after being illuminated by Radar and turns your ship from a hard target to a blob say 5 times the length of the ship that persists for a short period of time, say half the duration of the enemy ships radar. This would allow for an attempt to break contact. If the detected ship keeps the diminishing chaff cloud between it and the ship that lit it up with radar the cloud would provide additional but diminishing uncertainty to the radar fix until all of the cloud is dispersed.  This will still allow for a far greater probability of your ship being hit but at least prevents being lit up by radar from being a death sentence as it currently is. A real world solution to a bigger in game problem than most are willing to admit. Thoughts?

You could always make sure there is an island between you and the radar ship...no chance of being spotted then. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

Ships are not planes.

Actually, chaff was used as a deterrent to anti-ship missiles in a number of engagements in the last century. Of course,  the modern counter to incoming missiles is firing several tons of lead in the general direction of the incoming warhead in an attempt to turn it into Swiss cheese.

Players
958 posts
4,858 battles

Okay. In all honesty and not wanting to offend anyone: Just learn to deal with it. It is much easier to remember US|RN radar = 10km/1min; USSR radar = 12km/40s; PA radar =7.5km/30s. 

Memorize these numbers, play around them and you'll only get in trouble when the opponent makes a good play, for which he should be rewarded. In clan battles you will encounter radar that is coordinated and your position will be triangulated. Use this as an opportunity to improve. I used to fear desmos. I was taught the importance of shell evasion in season 1 and hardly have a problem with US radar now.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
13,528 posts
10,352 battles
16 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

Actually, chaff was used as a deterrent to anti-ship missiles in a number of engagements in the last century. Of course,  the modern counter to incoming missiles is firing several tons of lead in the general direction of the incoming warhead in an attempt to turn it into Swiss cheese.

Not in WW2...

[BS4]
Players
659 posts
4,889 battles
2 hours ago, LapsedxPacifist said:

.  This will still allow for a far greater probability of your ship being hit but at least prevents being lit up by radar from being a death sentence as it currently is. A real world solution to a bigger in game problem than most are willing to admit. Thoughts?

Bloody spot on are my thoughts OP....

31 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Okay. In all honesty and not wanting to offend anyone: Just learn to deal with it. It is much easier to remember US|RN radar = 10km/1min; USSR radar = 12km/40s; PA radar =7.5km/30s. 

No Offence but You BLOODY DEAL WITH IT :Smile_teethhappy:...12K range is ridiculous for any mechanic with allows you to be focused by every enemy ship in range and instantly deleted. But hey if you guys want to encourage a mechanic which encourages people to hide behind islands all the time just because radar is present in the enemy line up sure.....but IMO its not needed in wows.

ITS too much of an advantage when activated.

If it wasn't present it would be fairer for everyone. Ad least have a counter for it.....at present there is no counter to certain death.

Beta Tester
4,993 posts
2,939 battles

Window shells. Or, for the British folks, Anti-Radar. It's probably the only case in history where the British name is more explicit than the name used by everyone else.

Players
958 posts
4,858 battles
5 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Bloody spot on are my thoughts OP....

No Offence but You BLOODY DEAL WITH IT :Smile_teethhappy:...12K range is ridiculous for any mechanic with allows you to be focused by every enemy ship in range and instantly deleted. But hey if you guys want to encourage a mechanic which encourages people to hide behind islands all the time just because radar is present in the enemy line up sure.....but IMO its not needed in wows.

ITS too much of an advantage when activated.

If it wasn't present it would be fairer for everyone. Ad least have a counter for it.....at present there is no counter to certain death.

Got two Stalingrad flags playing dd against top competition with a minimum of 2 radars per enemy team. First season clan leading 62%wr. Second season 4th place at just shy of 58%. I am dealing with it quite well ;). Radar has cd after all. 

[-OAW-]
[-OAW-]
Players
69 posts
6,813 battles

The time period for these ships i doubt it that chaff was actually a thing yet, also what's the point of radar if they block it all the time.

To top it off WHAT ABOUT THE POOR SEA CREATURES EATING ALL THIS STUFF AFTER IT FALLS INTO THE OCEAN, atleast sunken ships become reefs :fish_glass:

[EST]
[EST]
Players
688 posts
17,363 battles
8 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

at present there is no counter to certain death.

I wonder how some DD-s manage to cap and survive until the end of battles where there are 3+ radar ships on enemy team. Hax??

• Cool 2

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
9 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Not in WW2...

You seem confused. You said, "ships are not planes", which led to my reply informing you that chaff was also used on ships. Whether this was in WW2 or not is irrelevant to the statement and my response.

If, for some obscure reason you are amending your original statement to say that, "ships are not planes and ships in WW2 did not have chaff", then that is just weird.

WoWs is not a WW2 era game. It features ships from both world wars and several cold war era ships. Given that chaff was invented between 1943-1945, it is possible some ships in the game could have had this as a counter measure, though how effective it would have been at defeating radar is a different story.

The correct way to deal with the ingame radar is for WG  to get off their lazy arse and fix radar so it doesn't work through islands :cap_rambo:

• Cool 2

[BS4]
Players
659 posts
4,889 battles
2 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Got two Stalingrad flags playing dd against top competition with a minimum of 2 radars per enemy team. First season clan leading 62%wr. Second season 4th place at just shy of 58%. I am dealing with it quite well ;). Radar has cd after all. 

qTkiHkT.gif

woop de bloody doooo!!!

I sir seem to be on the opposite side of that spectrum....ive been focused by radar recently so many times it makes me feel like ......

ynOAgnS.gif

F**K it im done.......

:cap_viking:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WGP2L]
Players
1,638 posts
11,417 battles

Or you could just work on map awareness and adjust your gameplay accordingly.

But if you insist, sure, put it in the smoke slot. You won't need smoke anyways if you consistently get radared in it.

• Cool 4

[CATS]
Players
13,528 posts
10,352 battles

Ships use chaff vs missiles, not radar. We do not have missiles in game.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
688 posts
17,363 battles
4 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Or you could just work on map awareness and adjust your gameplay accordingly.

But if you insist, sure, put it in the smoke slot. You won't need smoke anyways if you consistently get radared in it.

I think smoke is his way to give radar ships exact time and place to use magic button.

• Funny 1

Players
958 posts
4,858 battles
4 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

qTkiHkT.gif

woop de bloody doooo!!!

I sir seem to be on the opposite side of that spectrum....ive been focused by radar recently so many times it makes me feel like ......

ynOAgnS.gif

F**K it im done.......

:cap_viking:

It takes some getting used to. The important thing is not to panic immediately. Moskvas need to be avoided like the plague. Those things murder dds, but the rest can be dealt with quite well if you shake that booty and find the gaps in the enemy's dispersion ;). A desmo at 10km really struggles to hit consistently. Sure, it can control an area for a minute, but afterwards it has little to counter you with. 

• Cool 3

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
1 minute ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

It takes some getting used to. The important thing is not to panic immediately. Moskvas need to be avoided like the plague. Those things murder dds, but the rest can be dealt with quite well if you shake that booty and find the gaps in the enemy's dispersion ;). A desmo at 10km really struggles to hit consistently. Sure, it can control an area for a minute, but afterwards it has little to counter you with. 

Indeed. Once you know roughly where the radar cruisers are, you can usually play around them. Missouri's tend to be driven by people who only have the 'w' and 's' keys working, so tend not to be too much of a threat. Keeping an island between yourself and the enemy team or playing so that you are always ready to get an island between you and a threat keeps you alive longer.  Sinking a radar cruiser is very satisfying.

[BS4]
Players
659 posts
4,889 battles
19 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

AwjZIjR.gif

Players
958 posts
4,858 battles
2 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

Sinking a radar cruiser is very satisfying.

When you devastate a Moskva with a Shima and the choir of angels starts to sing :fish_cute_2:. There is no better feeling in the game. 

• Cool 2

[WGP2L]
Players
1,638 posts
11,417 battles
26 minutes ago, SeaWolf7 said:

AwjZIjR.gif

Let me clarify what I meant:

If a player consistenly gets radared in his smoke, then he has no clue how to use his smoke.

As such, smoke is useless for him. And chaff might be.

Edited by 159Hunter
typo

Sign in to follow this