Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Premium ships versus T10, which do you enjoy?

30 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,327 battles

I personally prefer playing premiums (mostly T8) over T10. 

Resons below:

1. T10 economy prohibitive without paying for ship camo. Coincidentally premium ships come with their premium camo attached and free captain transfer.

2. T10 will never get chance to downtier below T8, while T8 has chance to play with more ships from T6-10, more variety.

3. If skilled, playing a T8 ship in an uptiered game actually gives more chance of winning because you are performing above your tier standard. 

4. Many old T8 premiums were designed in an era where premiums were more OP and nicer to play. Due to no-change policy their op-ness will persist throughout the ages despite captain skill changes and game-wide nerfs. In short, consistency despite meta.

5. No grind! Premium ships for life. Premiums come as is and is a nice thing for both veteran and new players to just hop in and play. You grind a new line to T10 you’ll never play it again, and most T10s are too definitive and final, they lack the consistency yet replayability of well designed premiums. (Yes somehow WG working their magic into premiums.)

Thus in conclusion, I believe buying a high tier premium is more worth than buying a camo for a T10, which will just end up boring you out. (Unless you are one of those people who only like clubbing downtiers as toptier.)

I know, I know, it’s just my opinion, I’m not gonna even pretend it’s the popular perspective, but I’m weird like that. I don’t like playing ceiling tier. I think T10s should be the occasional “overkill ship” to play when you really have a sudden urge for their unique characteristics and strengths, but otherwise the philosophy behind WG not wanting to see too much T10 play is sound. (Their methods, however ...)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,327 battles

Thus according to this line of thought, my prefereed premium design direction is not the “gimmicky unique” ships, but rather the “everyman’s ship”, able to sustain prolonged play without becoming boring.

And the gamifying of premiums should also revolve around this, longevity over spectacularity.

However WG seems to have concluded (via sales stats or whatever) a different kind of need for premiums ...

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,943 battles

I like both equally. 

Many old T8 premiums were designed in an era where premiums were more OP and nicer to play

Hm? Still mad about Atago's heal?

Unless you are one of those people who only like clubbing downtiers as toptier

Filthy t10 seal clubbers, yeh.

I believe buying a high tier premium is more worth than buying a camo for a T10

I believe that choice is good.

the philosophy behind WG not wanting to see too much T10 play is sound

The original reason for increasing credit costs per match when going up the tiers (which is far less severe in WoWS than in WoT) is to have well-populated lower and mid tiers (where people can grind credits).

Bottom line: Are you suggesting buffs to t10 camos in some form or shape? But those guys are already seal clubbing and get bored to death by facerolling the opposition.  Or nerfs to t8 ships or OP vintage premiums?

I don't understand....

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles

Actually, I kinda got fed up with the stagnant (and hence BOORING) gameplay at tier 10 and have moved to play more tier 7 and 8 ships. I still end up in tier 10 matches quite often, of course, but at the least it is as the bottom-tier underdog, so it is much more exiting thadda-way. :cap_like:

BUT to answer your question then. Hmmm... My only high tier premiums are Atago and Musashi unfortunately and since I already have nearly all the ships I planned to get in the first place. Economy does not play a great part in my calculation (have some 700+M excess credits in bank now). I'd say I would prefer to play the Atago or even any other tier 8 over tier 10, just because it will provide more variety in terms of maps and opponents you will face. Hence less boredom and also less wide open camping-maps. :cap_old:

I have considered getting Tirpitz and / or Prinz Eugen too, but they are premiums (and I am cheap and stingy as h*ell, also prefer Japanese, so Tone next pls.) and I already have Hipper and Bismarck so why bother? Richelieu is probably going to be my next acquisition, since I already have the perma-camo for it an all. I suspect some of our tier 10 nig boys have an incomprehensible aversion to being torp'd by a Mogami especially and tend to get very cross about that kind of a thing.:Smile_Default:

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,943 battles
4 minutes ago, RAHJAILARI said:

as the bottom-tier underdog, so it is much more exiting thadda-way. :cap_like:

One could say that you fear the responsibility to carry your weight in game 

4f5373b5ed6b0a814555af4d87ad57a4c7c6949b

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles
1 hour ago, aboomination said:

One could say that you fear the responsibility to carry your weight in game

Oh yeah, totally true. Can't deny that one. On a diet currently so obviously I'd prefer to remain slim. Also get bored very easily, so cannot do ships any beefier than a Cruiser for long (or even 1 game) and stay alert on the job.:fish_sleep:

Aaaand to make the top of your team with the only tier 8 small-fry (Mogami usually) gives that much better LOL'z than doing it in a Yamato. Of course, i also do not like BB play much, so that's why I suck at it. Cause and effect lads. :cap_haloween:

Of course, the downside is that every time I do this I seem to lose substantial amounts of Karma for some mystifying reason. Oh well, ce est la Warsheeps, I guess. It seems that the big boys at tier 10 have a strange and unreasonable aversion towards being torp'd by a Mogami especially and invariably tend to get very cross about it. I have had some very exiting games with tier 10 BB's chasing me down (or trying) half the map in search of revenge after committing some such objectionable shenanigans. The races have gotten a bit tighter now that the Frenchies got that speedboost too...:Smile_Default:

Either that OR then they just like me really, really much...:cap_hmm:

run.jpg.41998917dd8f194c0d97cd0d17e583ea.jpg

Players
1,648 posts
11,443 battles

I prefer my DM over any other cruiser. That's why I bought the premium camo for it.

Sure, the credit earning potential is less than the MK or Atago, but who cares about that? 

It's sad that the notion of "clubbing at tier X" is a thing. All this proves is that people make it up to the high tiers ( by either potatoing their way up or by buying a tier VIII/IX premium ) without knowing how to play the game. Do I feel sorry if I'm sealclubbing them? Nope.

21 minutes ago, aboomination said:

Bottom line: Are you suggesting buffs to t10 camos in some form or shape? But those guys are already seal clubbing and get bored to death by facerolling the opposition.  Or nerfs to t8 ships or OP vintage premiums?

I don't understand....

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,260 posts
7,943 battles
3 minutes ago, 159Hunter said:

Do I feel sorry if I'm sealclubbing them? Nope.

BIT4TTM.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,376 posts
5,512 battles
1 hour ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Resons below:

1. T10 economy prohibitive without paying for ship camo. Coincidentally premium ships come with their premium camo attached and free captain transfer.

2. T10 will never get chance to downtier below T8, while T8 has chance to play with more ships from T6-10, more variety.

3. If skilled, playing a T8 ship in an uptiered game actually gives more chance of winning because you are performing above your tier standard. 

4. Many old T8 premiums were designed in an era where premiums were more OP and nicer to play. Due to no-change policy their op-ness will persist throughout the ages despite captain skill changes and game-wide nerfs. In short, consistency despite meta.

5. No grind! Premium ships for life. Premiums come as is and is a nice thing for both veteran and new players to just hop in and play. You grind a new line to T10 you’ll never play it again, and most T10s are too definitive and final, they lack the consistency yet replayability of well designed premiums. (Yes somehow WG working their magic into premiums.)

Thus in conclusion, I believe buying a high tier premium is more worth than buying a camo for a T10, which will just end up boring you out. (Unless you are one of those people who only like clubbing downtiers as toptier.)

I know, I know, it’s just my opinion, I’m not gonna even pretend it’s the popular perspective, but I’m weird like that. I don’t like playing ceiling tier. I think T10s should be the occasional “overkill ship” to play when you really have a sudden urge for their unique characteristics and strengths, but otherwise the philosophy behind WG not wanting to see too much T10 play is sound. (Their methods, however ...)

Funny thing.

I'm just the opposite.

I find much more worthy to by a premium camo for a ship I truly like than buying a premium.

Some ships can turn in hybrids between the two, only lacking in captain transfer.

I don't know why, but I don't "feel" the premiumness when I'm in one, feels like a regular to me. In a battle and after a battle.

So I putted my premium in a operation only status but even there I don't play as often as I play the others, in fact I rarely play it (and it's not a bad ship at all).

And other premiums I just sold. Because they were boring or are worst than the silver counter parts.

e.g. Emden vs Dresden, I prefer the second one.

funny thing, I can't explain why or put my finger exactly where.

Even my evolution trough out the tiers has slowed down because I'm still with my work horses and having fun, so, I'm not in a hurry.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,590 posts
7,066 battles

In my eyes premium camo for a regular ship make the ship somewhat equivalent to premium.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,796 battles

Personally, I find the Minotaur the most fun ship in the game (I only have the Shima and the Zao at T10 in addition to her).I don't find the game play to be too static at T10, yes the odd game where neither side seems to be willing to move anywhere (except myself as I have not yet learned not to be (overly) aggressive, but those are not very frequent. Most start slowish then accelerate in pace as players get to understand the relative positioning better.

As for T8+ premiums being better than T10 silvers, I really enjoy the Harekaze and the Atago, also the Prinz Eugen (but in a masochistic way, given my performance in her). Alabama I am slowly learning, but being cautious with her.. actually, the only T8 premium that I don't get on with particularly well is the Tirpitz which I still just haven't figured out how to balance her playstyle.

Premiums offer bonuses over silver ships in that you can use any captain, so they will tend to get used more than equivalent silver ships (IMO), doesn't mean they are necessarily more enjoyable.

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts

I am reluctant to buy premium camo for 'silver' ships because there is no guarantee the ship will remain the way you enjoy it now.  4k & 5k doubloons for top tier camo is silly money - especially as most of the camo's are boring.  If they made some interesting top tier camo's  at a sensible price, instead of those monstrours sci-fi ones, I no doubt could be pursuaded to spend some doubloons.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,595 battles

Naah! @TigerMoth don't be shy - Change is good, evolution be the gist of true power. You should not avoid it. Just embrace it and give us your Dubloons already! :Smile_coin:Bwahahahahah!:cap_haloween:

darth.jpg.7db77f842a55385c4ca52ad40fe53660.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles
3 hours ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

Nice to see there are more of my kind :Smile_Default:

Yes, I prefer the hightier premiums too. Reasons exactly the same.

In addition to that I have to admit: i am a dedicated collector ... yes, its me who`s sponsoring this game :Smile_coin: Some smoke, some drink, some collect willing females. I collect ships and tanks.

I reached 7 TX ships, but sold 4 of them in short time again, because I did not enjoy them at all.

My lone T9 silver ship at the very moment is the Baltimore waiting for the US split.

As mentioned before it is a way more interesting challenge, to fare well as underdog and it evens pays of in credits and free xp. (have no idea where to invest my 2 mio free-xp with Big Mo and Musashi in harbour ...)

The most interesting and lively battles occur at T6-T8 imo. So my favourite tier is T7 in fact.

I would choose a hightier premium ship over a 5000-8000 gold camo every day. 

Its kind of sad in some ways, but as long as this game has so many interesting ships at T6-T8, it does not bother me

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

If you like the T-X and play it often then a premium camo is a good investment. You can easily earn the same amount of credits as in a premium ship. And if you put a 19 point skipper on it as well its as good a crew trainer to.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,440 posts
7,788 battles

Even though I have perma camo on all my tier X ships, I still prefer sailing my premiums.

Tier 10 battles are pretty samey and encourages longer range engagements which gives room for more RNG and less room for interesting plays.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,327 battles

My view for premiums being “everymans ship” does not always overlap with WG ...

Because unique, gimmicky ships have more allure and sell better from a business perspective.

And well-balanced, easily enjoyed premium ships meant to be bought once and enjoyed forever as “staple diet ships” discourages hunger for buying more premiums, even to the point of becoming indifferent to newly released lines, because you are so content with your current favourites.

Thus my perspective is really from a players’ perspective and not necessarily good for WG.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
619 posts
5,660 battles

I like most of my TX ships (Hindi, Zao, Henri IV, GK, Mino <3 ), but I also collect and like to play prems at all tiers. Especially if they are challenging, like Duca, Hood or Arizona.

I'm a guy who buys premium camo and assigns a permanent captain to silver ships I have loved, too, like Gneisenau, Pensacola and Fiji.

To be fair I'll always buy RN premiums, usually on day of release (£90 for Hood top package :o )

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles
16 minutes ago, Mr_Tayto said:

I like most of my TX ships (Hindi, Zao, Henri IV, GK, Mino <3 ), but I also collect and like to play prems at all tiers. Especially if they are challenging, like Duca, Hood or Arizona.

I'm a guy who buys premium camo and assigns a permanent captain to silver ships I have loved, too, like Gneisenau, Pensacola and Fiji.

To be fair I'll always buy RN premiums, usually on day of release (£90 for Hood top package :o )

oh yes ... Hood was a no brainer to buy for me at release day, too ... :Smile_smile:

French did not attract me these days. Dont know exactly why, but failed to open my wallet.

On the other hand HuangHe was mine at the very moment it was released. Never regretted it. Just so special and challenging.

Waiting for Monaghan and T-61, of course. Budget already reserved. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[XODUS]
Beta Tester, Players
365 posts
37 minutes ago, The_Pillager said:

On the other hand HuangHe was mine at the very moment it was released. Never regretted it. Just so special and challenging.

Waiting patiently for the HuangHe to reappear in the shop or WG to donate me one as I was not playing during its release :(

:fish_nerv:

[ALYEN]
Players
558 posts
2,090 battles

T10 + premium camo .... simply because there is more variety in ships to chose from. There are more T10 ships in all classes than there are T8 premiums :-)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the grind is the meat of the game :-) if you skip it, you get bored of the game faster ....

[HR]
Beta Tester
782 posts
7,735 battles

I only play tx ships these days and if you carry your weight...you shouldn’t have issues making credits. I enjoy t10 because I know MM can’t uptier me like it often does to the poor t8 guys.

Beta Tester
765 posts
4,327 battles
4 hours ago, aboomination said:

I don't understand....

- Buffs to camo? Not in this thread but in componified camo suggestion thread yes.

- Bored to death is due to end-of-line syndrom for T10.

- Premiums will never be nerfed, or even lightly changed, according to WG policy I think.

What I want? Nothing atm, which is rare. I’m just appreciating how WG designed some of the premium ships with high playability in mind, especially in light of the Asashio controversy. 

————————

Silver ships in general tend to be less balanced, are less cross-tier friendly than premiums in general. Less forgiving for being bottom tier.

T10 silver ships are less well-rounded and polished than the usual “premium design standard”. That’s because the T10 ships are forced to be epitomes of their lines’ unique characteristics, sacrificing “all roundedness” in attempt to somehow be unique and gimmicky, op yet flawed at the same time. They are not “beautiful” in most senses.

But premiums are always designed to a certain “aesthetic” standard as well. They are proud, beautiful, stand-out ships even without always being “OP”.

————

If there was a T10 premium, or if a T10 ship was designed to be premium standard, perhaps it would be Yamato. Slap a premium camo on it and it will last forever. Strong, distinctive, yet balanced and easily enjoyed. 

Cannot say say the same for other T10 silver ships. They lack that “aesthetic beauty in logic” befitting a “premium standard”. Shimakaze used to be so until they “balanced” it. The Pan-Asian DDs and Russian DDs are more “premium standard” than say the Germans and USN, because the overarching characteristic of their line was derived originally from a single high-quality standalone-released premium.

Most of the old cruiser lines are “premium standard” upon T10, too. Distinctive yet balanced yet beautiful. Slap a camo on it and it’s premium level. But not all cruisers ... not all.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
785 posts
6,548 battles
30 minutes ago, TigerMoth said:

Waiting patiently for the HuangHe to reappear in the shop or WG to donate me one as I was not playing during its release :(

:fish_nerv:

If you like challenges, this ship has it all. Full spec on secondaries with my YueYang Cpt and DD hunting 

There is no better all-or-nothing-feeling to be found ... :Smile_playing:

[L4GG]
Players
1,376 posts
5,512 battles
7 hours ago, KarmaQU_EU said:

My view for premiums being “everymans ship” does not always overlap with WG ...

Because unique, gimmicky ships have more allure and sell better from a business perspective.

And well-balanced, easily enjoyed premium ships meant to be bought once and enjoyed forever as “staple diet ships” discourages hunger for buying more premiums, even to the point of becoming indifferent to newly released lines, because you are so content with your current favourites.

Thus my perspective is really from a players’ perspective and not necessarily good for WG.

perhaps, that's my why.

Makes sense to me.

If you ask me which is my favourite line I wouldn't know what to answer, how to answer.

And if you ask me to "make" a favourite line or what would be like my favourite line .

I had to cannibalize several lines if not all of them.

WG could capitalized on this.

Sign in to follow this