Proterozoikum

Help me, I'm conflicted... Also I'm new..

18 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
963 battles

Hi guys,

I have some problems deciding what to do in this game. I currently enjoy the Japanese ships alot, my favourite (probably of all time) is the Kongo. I unlocked her on the mobile version of the game already, so I would like to aim for something different on the PC version.

So I started a few days ago and am currently sitting on:

• Tier III Kawachi (don't ask why I unlocked it; It must be the Kongo's appeal)
  • Tier V Furutaka
  • Tier IV Isokaze

I want to focus on one line now, mostly because of my limited time from next week on. I enjoy very much versatility, Japanese boat design and fast firing guns. I am quite certain, that I'd enjoy the Akizuki alot, but seeing as it's Tier VIII, I have to push myself through 3 tiers of other destroyers which I might not have fun with... The 1st games I had on the Furutaka where also not as enjoyable as on the Kuma (and I actually didn't like the Kuma, it feels like I had my worst games on that ship). However, the Tier VII Myoko might be a boat I could enjoy again.

Ah yes, I should mention, I tend to be bad with good ships and formidable with oddballs.

From your experience, which line do you recommend as a 1st?

Also, I'm new...kinda. I played WoWS Blitz quite extensively on all ship classes and just recently decided to also play the PC version. It would be cool, if there were other people I could team up with and befriend

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,208 posts
11,028 battles

Well, I'd recommend playing more than one line.

It's always good to know what other ship types are capable of.

But if you really want only one line and like oddballs, Akizuki is a very good choice.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,572 posts
6,401 battles

Don't push yourself. If you use FreeXP - use it to get your ship upgraded not to skip it. If you find yourself doing good - keep climbing, no problem. But if you start struggling - there probably are some important things you haven't learned just yet, that's where playing more lower tier ships in other lines (or even the ones you already got through) comes in. Also YouTube and Twitch can be very helpful. Or Forums if you have some specific questions - people here tend to know a lot, and usually respond quickly even during the night :Smile_teethhappy:

Also playing a few lines at the same time isn't a bad idea - you won't get burned out by playing the same ship 50 times in a row :cap_haloween: And those high tier ships - they will be there after a few months, you don't need to get them tomorrow :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
13,692 posts
10,394 battles

If you like fast firing guns, I am not sure the IJN ships are the right choice.

You have the already mentioned Akizuki on Tier VIII and then there is the Mogami with 155mm guns (on Tier VIII too) as the only new fast firing ships. The rest are Torpedoboats, Heavy Cruisers or Battleships.

The RU Cruisers (mostly Light Cruisers) and RU Gunboats give you many more fast firing ships.

If you chose US Cruisers, you will soon have a full tree of Light Cruisers, but nobody knows how good the ships from Tier VI on will be.

Players
8 posts
963 battles

Thank you for answering, all of you ^^.

For now I will stick with the Japanese. I suppose other nation's navy would fit my playstyle better, but I am shallow and need a boat which looks nice. As a 2nd nation however, I will now consider Russia.

I have to admit, I rushed through Tier IV. Mostly because the grind on the mobile game is very tedious on that particular tier. Also, I want to at least have a chance on the April's Fool Event skins, but I need a tier VI boat for that. Luckily, the event lasts until the 23rd of April, so I should have ample of time left. Your suggestion on a secondary line is quite clever, I didn't consider the burnout which usually follows such a grind. I guess I'll concentrate on the destroyer line and will also play my cruiser/battleship occasionally. 

One more question: Are there some baseline skills for the captain for certain ship classes? Let's say I have 10 points, what skills do I absolutely positively want to have on say a battleship, cruiser and of course a destroyer?

[CATS]
Players
13,692 posts
10,394 battles

Depends on ships.

Most DD need Concealment Expert.

This skill can also be very important on some Cruisers and BB.

Basics of Survivalbility can be important for BB, as they get set on fire quite often.

[OM]
3,208 posts
11,028 battles
Vor 34 Minuten, Proterozoikum sagte:

One more question: Are there some baseline skills for the captain for certain ship classes? Let's say I have 10 points, what skills do I absolutely positively want to have on say a battleship, cruiser and of course a destroyer?

For DDs, must-have skills are Last Stand, Expert of Survivability and Concealment Expert, first skill either Priority Target or Preventive Maintenance.

CAs: Priority Target, Expert Marksman with slow turrets/Adrenaline Rush with fast turrets, Superintendant if you have Heal or Smoke, else Demolition Expert and lastly Concealment Expert.

BBs: Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Basics of Survivability or Basic Firing Training for AA-build and Concealment Expert or Advanced Firing Training for AA-build.

Players
1,199 posts
3,451 battles
1 hour ago, Proterozoikum said:

Also, I want to at least have a chance on the April's Fool Event skins, but I need a tier VI boat for that. Luckily, the event lasts until the 23rd of April, so I should have ample of time left.

...I hope you don't mean unlocking them, as it appears you need to already have the respective T10 ship in your port in order to buy the skins with doubloons.

Which is a shame as I was hoping to unlock the Flyfire and Blue Aster for the future Gearing and Z-52 to be added to my port. I have a Minotaur, but I'm not really all that impressed by the 'Norma' skin, that and 8k doubloons (which is 3k more than I paid for the normal T10 premium camo for her) is way too much.

If you like fast-firing guns, I would suggest giving the United States Navy Destroyers and Royal Navy Light Cruisers a look.

The USN DDs start out being pure gunboats, with torpedoes only really good at ambushing opponents, but from T7 upwards they become jack-of-all-trades destroyers capable of stealth torpedo strikes and knife-fighting other DDs with their guns, as well as harassing larger ships from long range thanks to their manoeuvrability. I've only gotten as far as T8 Benson right now, but I'd say a highlight for me was unlocking the dual-gun turrets for Nicholas; I don't think the US DDs have a low point, they all seem to be good.

RN CLs are a bit trickier, but could be a good second-or-third tech tree to sink your teeth into when you get the hang of the game. They have pretty good rate of fire, really nice torpedoes (they can single-launch them, too!), and are very stealthy for cruisers, as well as having a monster heal from the get-go and a smoke screen from T5 upwards. However, they only have access to Armour Piercing ammunition, meaning you need to know how to make your shots count in order to do well in them. Highlights are definitely the T7 Fiji and T10 Minotaur; the low point is definitely the T5 Emerald: I think it is the ship that suffers the most from the T5 matchmaking spread.

If you want to get the Akizuki, my advice is to spec your captain for the IFHE (Inertia Fuse for High Explosive shells) Skill. Without it she will not be able to do consistent damage to enemy ships, even same-tier destroyers! Oh, and save up your Sierra Mike signal flags, you'll need the extra speed (I've also equipped mine with the Engine Boost special mod, so she gets 3minutes per Engine Boost consumable).

Hope my suggestions have helped and welcome to the game!:Smile_honoring:

Players
8 posts
963 battles

Great, thanks again!

Originally, I thought about playing either the US Navy or Royal Navy as second tech tree (the Fletcher is one of my favourite ships). I will probably try both the Russian and US Navy and then decide.

Also, thank you for the recommended skills, I'll grab them as soon as I get the chance.

Oh, so the April's Fool Event is botched like this? My, 8000 doubloons are a lot, roughly 40 € for a skin... That is discouraging. I already saw that there are quite some pay to win items and rather expensive boats.

Now I wonder if it's actually worth playing this game if I do not have any money to spend in it? I enjoyed it so far, but I'd rather avoid a major disappointment now then "investing" my time further only to hit a pay wall. In all honesty, should I stop or continue?

[OM]
3,208 posts
11,028 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Proterozoikum sagte:

I already saw that there are quite some pay to win items and rather expensive boats.

Now I wonder if it's actually worth playing this game if I do not have any money to spend in it? I enjoyed it so far, but I'd rather avoid a major disappointment now then "investing" my time further only to hit a pay wall. In all honesty, should I stop or continue?

To be honest, there isn't anything in this game that would deserve the term "pay to win".

There is only "pay for faster progress" or "pay for additional optional content".

Everything in this game can be done without paying. Even premium ships are reachable by farming dubloons ingame (Ranked, Clanwars etc.) or getting them from super containers.

Players
8 posts
963 battles

I see, well, this is fortunate. It is not like I am stingy; I would like to support the developers, but I also have to see for myself. As a student, I cannot do big steps money-wise, at least for now.

[SM0KE]
Players
1,614 posts
5,047 battles

OP: if you haven't already, check this site out: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

It gives a run-down of all the ships, including pros and cons for all of them; it also suggests captain skills for most of them (although there is some disagreement on some of them!). It's worth a look, if you want to get a sense of what the various ships further up their respective lines are like.

BTW I echo the sentiment of playing several lines at once; as well as avoiding burnout, you'll get a better idea of what each of the classes/nations is good/bad at.

Don't forget that as soon as you get to T5, you lose protective MM i.e. T5 ships start to face +2 opposition. This provides a motivation to not advance past T4 until you've developed the requisite skills to do so without being massacred.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
On 4/4/2018 at 4:55 PM, Proterozoikum said:

I enjoy very much versatility, Japanese boat design and fast firing guns.

Well, Furutaka isn't that fast firing spammer:

T4 Kuma is lot better for that.

Because of protected +1 match making T4 is also good for learning longer range gunnery.

On 4/5/2018 at 12:30 AM, Proterozoikum said:

Originally, I thought about playing either the US Navy or Royal Navy as second tech tree (the Fletcher is one of my favourite ships). I will probably try both the Russian and US Navy and then decide.

If you like fast "run and gun" action Soviet destroyers might be good.

Their 130mm gun has good ballistics more comparable to cruiser guns than usual destroyer guns.

Especially USN 127mm/38 anti-air catapult/mortar has bad trajectory for anything over shorter ranges, unless you like lobbing rainbow trajectory shells over islands.

Many Soviet destroyers are literally focused on ideology, that if you aren't keeping gun barrels red hot you're doing something wrong.

Though some of them, like T7 premium Leningrad have also good torps and decent stealth for more versatile playstyle. (but it needs skilled captain to truly work)

Soviet cruisers also have long range guns, but they lack stealth and are biggish targets so rely on cover of island or staying at long range to avoid taking damage.

[AAO]
Alpha Tester
714 posts
3,032 battles

I can recommend you to play on the Testserver, when it gets the next time online. 

There you can test out ships in the high tiers from different nations and see what kind of playstyle suits you the best. 

Or watch Yuro´s videos on youtube, get hyped for a ship, play it and turn on some eurobeat while you dodge the torps. 

Honestly, listen to some eurobeat. Gives you +10 on torpedo dodging skill and makes even awful ships enjoyable to play. 

Players
8 posts
963 battles
19 hours ago, Nordi_Aut said:

Honestly, listen to some eurobeat. Gives you +10 on torpedo dodging skill and makes even awful ships enjoyable to play. 

Yes, noticed them already and they are very funny. The idea about the Testserver sounds good, I will have a peak once it's available again!

On 06/04/2018 at 4:26 PM, EsaTuunanen said:

If you like fast "run and gun" action Soviet destroyers might be good.

I will certainly test them, actually they will be the next I try. So far I only briefly played some Pan-Asian destroyers, but I'm not entirely convinced by them.

I initially went for the cruiser line as it seemed to be the fastest and having quite a few boats I like. Also, from the mobile game, I know them quite a bit, but here they play quite differently, hence I asked in the forums. 

On 06/04/2018 at 3:15 PM, Verblonde said:

OP: if you haven't already, check this site out: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

It gives a run-down of all the ships, including pros and cons for all of them; it also suggests captain skills for most of them (although there is some disagreement on some of them!). It's worth a look, if you want to get a sense of what the various ships further up their respective lines are like.

BTW I echo the sentiment of playing several lines at once; as well as avoiding burnout, you'll get a better idea of what each of the classes/nations is good/bad at.

Don't forget that as soon as you get to T5, you lose protective MM i.e. T5 ships start to face +2 opposition. This provides a motivation to not advance past T4 until you've developed the requisite skills to do so without being massacred.

Yes, I noticed the Wiki. After the first game in the Kawachi, I had to look some information up; This ship's dispersion and lack of range are not from this world...

I suppose there is no turning back now, considering I unlocked the Furutaka already. I'm not afraid of +2 tier boats actually. Even after a madness induced grind on the Minekaze and learning the hard way how to handle radar, it's not that bad. Unfortunately, there are no Japanese Tier IV ships I enjoy playing. But learning the hard way works best for me I guess, even in real life >.>

I have another matter though regarding the Hatsuharu. This destroyer gets detected at 6.7 km and the torpedoes have a range of 6 km. So do I only use them for ambushing? The guns do not seem amazing as well..

[SM0KE]
Players
1,614 posts
5,047 battles
1 hour ago, Proterozoikum said:

I have another matter though regarding the Hatsuharu. This destroyer gets detected at 6.7 km and the torpedoes have a range of 6 km. So do I only use them for ambushing? The guns do not seem amazing as well..

I don't particularly like the Hatsurharu, although it is worth persevering with, as (in my view) the Shiratsuyu at T7 is glorious - it's a keeper for me, and I run it with the TRB rather than smoke, which is great fun, albeit horribly risky.

From memory, I free-xped the hull and torp upgrades, as the basic torps are fairly unpleasant to use. If you don't want to go that route, and have the patience, I would suggest grinding the hull and torp upgrades in coop mode. Once you have the torp upgrade, of course, you have a massive stealth launch window.

Getting used to playing with torps that you can't launch from stealth is a worthwhile thing to do though, as they're very common in the various cruiser lines (not to mention the less sneaky DD lines); as you say, if your guns are also lacklustre, ambush is your friend. Getting the CE captain skill can often make the difference between no stealth launch window, and a small one (although in the case of Hatsuharu the detection range would still only drop to essentially the same as the stock torp range, if my maths is right)...

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
23 hours ago, Proterozoikum said:

I will certainly test them, actually they will be the next I try. So far I only briefly played some Pan-Asian destroyers, but I'm not entirely convinced by them.

I initially went for the cruiser line as it seemed to be the fastest and having quite a few boats I like. Also, from the mobile game, I know them quite a bit, but here they play quite differently, hence I asked in the forums. 

Soviet DDs really get to that speed boat area at tier 7.

While T5 Podvoisky is super fast T6 isn't.

Btw, that 130mm gun can citadel Kirov, Kuma and Königsberg up to 10km range.

Shortish range torps are best used from ambush behind island to ship spotted by others.

You can keep island in between to prevent detection.

In open you need to use same approach as in USN DDs like Nicholas/Farragut:

You let enemy run into torpedo range.

Minimap shows quite nicely if enemy's course brings it inside torpedo range circle at spot where your aiming line is.

Using detectability range circle as reference you can kite outside your spotting range.

Beta Tester
275 posts
3,413 battles

If you go for the Akizuki bear in mind that it needs a dedicated captain with at least 14 points in order to be remotely effective. The Akizukis 100mm guns are of such a low caliber that it cannot penetrate most cruisers and BBs with its HE shells, not even on the super structure even some DDs can absorb the HE shells. With only 1x5 torpedo launchers (with TRB though) you'll hardly be doing any damage unless you get the IFHE skill, but seeing as the Akizuki is a very large ship, nearing cruiser size, its also very slow and sluggish compared to other DDs. It also gets spotted earlier so you also need CE on your captain for it to get to 5.9km detection range. 

The Akizuki is a ship that is very much unlike the rest of the IJN DDs, so while it may look fun, its not a ship that I would recommend for a beginner.

Going down a cruiser line can be...frustrating with the BB meta we currently have, and as soon as you hit tier 5 you get out of the protected MM and can go up against tier 7 ships, including some very dangerous BBs.

So much to my dismay as I dont feel we need any more BBs in this game, I'd say the safe choice would be to grind down the IJN BB line and stop at Amagi, enjoy that ship, and then maybe try something else :).