You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Dunk_Squad

Looking for a Cruiser line (or singular ship) that suits my requirements

31 comments in this topic

Players
144 posts
1,756 battles

I'm an extremely aggressive player but I've been finding the higher tier US Cruisers too squishy for my tastes. I want a Cruiser that excels at close (sub 10k) range against other Cruisers and Destroyers, with average speed and accurate guns. RoF is less important to me. I'm willing to play one of the BCs like Gneisnau, also.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,856 posts
8,066 battles

Hi all,

Just now, ThisIsAReroll said:

I'm an extremely aggressive player but I've been finding the higher tier US Cruisers too squishy for my tastes. I want a Cruiser that excels at close (sub 10k) range against other Cruisers and Destroyers, with average speed and accurate guns. RoF is less important to me. I'm willing to play one of the BCs like Gneisnau, also.

Have you tried "Hindenburg" possibly?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 2

Players
144 posts
1,756 battles
10 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Scharnhorst.

Ironically I debated picking up the Shiny Horse or the Hood. I even considered the Kii, and Graff Spee.

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles
15 minutes ago, ThisIsAReroll said:

IJN Cruisers then, surely?

Very fast (35 knots or so), good to excellent guns that have fearsome AP for citadelling enemy cruisers and strong HE for blowing up DDs.  Decent torps for close in work, though the angles are poor, or kiting - where the angles don't matter.  Only problem is that they are also somewhat squishy themselves - give your broadside and you WILL be citadelled and sometimes you will be citadelled even if angled because RNG says so.

re the above comment about the Scharnhorst - I've never played any German BBs but my impression of playing against them is that they are strong cruiser killers.  Yes the guns are smaller calibre and I understand the dispersion is not great, but facing them I find those 11" guns scary, because they are strong enough to wreck my cruisers and they have a sufficient rate of fire to offset their accuracy.  Meanwhile they are fast enough and tanky enough to push.  At least that is my perception of facing them - so they might work for you too.

Players
552 posts
4,472 battles

These requirements scream KMS cruisers to me: shorter range, best in game hydro for hunting DDS, well protected for cruisers and killer ap with high pen HE, ultimately leading to Hindenburg, which is all that but even better.

Players
144 posts
1,756 battles
3 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Define "too squishy". If you're looking at cruisers, they're all squishy within the current BB heavy meta. Especially if you want to make them work around 10km which inevitably means you're going to be close enough to draw lots of fire. Even the toughest cruisers can't sustain themselves under focus, nevermind battleships taking big chunks out of your HP.

If you're looking for an ambush cruiser, then the Zao (and IJN cruisers in general) are pretty damn good. Good enough concealment to get within 10km of the enemy and at that range the guns are more than accurate enough, especially the Zao which already has amazing ballistics. Plus you get the torps you can use at those distances. When it gets too hot, their concealment also allows you to try and disengage (though realistically that won't happen unless you have a DD screening ahead that keeps the enemy's DD from spotting you permanently, plus any present aircraft can throw a wrench into that plan if you're unlucky).

At least that's the only cruiser I can think of that somehow matches your specified criteria. If you're willing to extend the engagement distance a good bit, then I can wholeheartedly recommend the Hindenburg. You won't really want to fight anything as close as 10km (more like 15km+), but thanks to the ballistics the gunnery is hardly an issue at the extended range. Plus you get the 6km torps for when you actually get into a brawl. The Hindenburg's armour is also trollish as hell (particularily up close due to the turtleback) and I found her to be toughest cruiser to play. Plus as a jack of all trades kind of ship she's absurdly reliable in almost every situation.

10-15km is fine

Players
552 posts
4,472 battles
2 minutes ago, krazypenguin said:

IJN Cruisers then, surely?

Very fast (35 knots or so), good to excellent guns that have fearsome AP for citadelling enemy cruisers and strong HE for blowing up DDs.  Decent torps for close in work, though the angles are poor, or kiting - where the angles don't matter.  Only problem is that they are also somewhat squishy themselves - give your broadside and you WILL be citadelled and sometimes you will be citadelled even if angled because RNG says so.

re the above comment about the Scharnhorst - I've never played any German BBs but my impression of playing against them is that they are strong cruiser killers.  Yes the guns are smaller calibre and I understand the dispersion is not great, but facing them I find those 11" guns scary, because they are strong enough to wreck my cruisers and they have a sufficient rate of fire to offset their accuracy.  Meanwhile they are fast enough and tanky enough to push.  At least that is my perception of facing them - so they might work for you too.

IJN cruisers are fundamentally designed for mid to long range HE spam, I love them too death but I don't think they fit what he is asking for.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,537 posts
6,372 battles
2 hours ago, ThisIsAReroll said:

I've been finding the higher tier US Cruisers too squishy for my tastes

Then I'm pretty sure no cruiser is for you. All of them are squishy, some (like Hindenburg) just slightly less than others. BBs can delete all of them

1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

Scharnhorst.

That's exactly what I thought of :Smile_teethhappy:

[UNICS]
Players
2,781 posts
11,530 battles

Define extremely aggressive.

Hindenburg is a good option, but maybe the French cruisers are more suitable when the extreme aggression fails.

[ONE2]
Players
2,309 posts
13,568 battles

Yeeah... Have tried German, US and IJN Cruisers and the latter are definitely designed for short range ambushes (torps) and all such mischief but also tend to be very situational and highly vulnerable. You will need a nearby island or few to disappear behind in short order in any case. Problem is that they (IJN Cruisers) they are all citadel-hogs like crazy. If anyone even passes wind in their general direction = Instant citadel = You're a dead Dodo, no doubt abboutiit. US are better in that sense and have good firepower too, but I have the distinct impression that where durability is concerned the German Cruisers are overall the least squishy of the ship Class, especially at high tiers. :cap_old:

[OSC]
Players
1,991 posts
11,056 battles

Hindenburg

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,764 battles

Have you tried..... RN cruisers.... while not quite meeting the definition of 'not being squishy'.. they are very very good at destroying stuff within 10km. Not particularly fast, quite nimble, decent accuracy within your range parameters, and will rip lots of new ones with their guns..and torps. You could even go:-

Overly manly man

RADAR!...

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,764 battles

Forum burp.

[HAERT]
Players
2,023 posts
43 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Define extremely aggressive.

Hindenburg is a good option, but maybe the French cruisers are more suitable when the extreme aggression fails.

Nope, I disagree, the French cruisers are a light snack if in close, they need to be played with a view to kiting, same as the IJN cruisers.

The only T10 cruiser I can think of that more or less fits the bill the OP wants is the Hindenberg and that's far from invulnerable, just a tad tankier than the Des Moines and of course it has torpedoes, but no radar. Hydro is of course handy if you use it right.

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
2,781 posts
11,530 battles
13 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Nope, I disagree, the French cruisers are a light snack if in close, they need to be played with a view to kiting, same as the IJN cruisers.

The only T10 cruiser I can think of that more or less fits the bill the OP wants is the Hindenberg and that's far from invulnerable, just a tad tankier than the Des Moines and of course it has torpedoes, but no radar. Hydro is of course handy if you use it right.

Yea, the main question still is what he mean by 'extremely aggressive'. Hindenburg still is situational for when you can push in. I thought the 'running away' option would be nice to have when 'extreme aggression' bites him in the [edited] :)

[KAKE]
Players
645 posts
2,692 battles

Personally, I think the Graf Spee fits the bill. I like the thing and think it's fun to play.

But your mileage may vary. It's certainly got its quirks.

[SCRUB]
Players
6,912 posts
9,129 battles
1 hour ago, RAHJAILARI said:

Problem is that they (IJN Cruisers) they are all citadel-hogs like crazy. If anyone even passes wind in their general direction = Instant citadel = You're a dead Dodo, no doubt about it.

This is largely true for most of the IJN cruisers, but I find the Zao also has a pretty trollish armour. At least from what I can tell from my (still few, only unlocked her recently) Zao games is that I take the usual lolcitpen less regularily than with other cruisers, pretty much on par with the Hindenburg which is notorious for ruggedness. And against cruisers the Zao is every bit as tanky as others when you angle (though lacks in dpm due to the longer reload and bad firing arcs on the turrets if you're forced to angle nose/aft in/out).

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles
4 hours ago, ThisIsAReroll said:

To answer your question: Go for the USN heavy cruiser line as the Des Moines fits your needs 100%

• Bad 1

Players
136 posts
3,209 battles
4 hours ago, ThisIsAReroll said:

If you are aiming at higher tiers (8+) German cruisers would fit the best. Hipper and Eugen at TVIII getting buffs, Roon at TIX looks nice and Hindenburg is considered as best non utility cuiser.

Theoretically Zao (TX IJN) also fits your requirements, but you have to go through Ibuki class, which has traits opposite to what you want.

There is also option for premium Atago (TVIII IJN heavy cruiser of Takao class) as it covers exactly what you described, but I am not sure whether it is available right now

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
3,537 posts
6,372 battles
1 hour ago, G01ngToxicCommand0 said:

To answer your question: Go for the USN heavy cruiser line as the Des Moines fits your needs 100%

Literally 1st sentence in his post:

6 hours ago, ThisIsAReroll said:

I'm an extremely aggressive player but I've been finding the higher tier US Cruisers too squishy for my tastes.

1366753476316.jpg

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
3,659 posts
12,811 battles

St. Lucifer.... sorry... St.Louis.. the US T3 one... not squishy at all... always fun to play. :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,929 posts
7,756 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Literally 1st sentence in his post:

1366753476316.jpg

Do you? - don't be mong pls:cap_old:

The OP highest tier cruiser is the Pensacola so his opinion is uninformed, especially when it comes to what an extremely aggressively played cruiser abilities must objectively be, which is why he asks and the only tier X cruiser that currently fits his 'extremely agressive playstyle' is the Des Moines due to its unparalleled firepower combined with high number of hit points,  strong armour and AA powerful enough for it to be able to solo defend itself succesfully against CV attacks in addition to access to radar consumable.

• Bad 1