Sign in to follow this  
VC381

3rd row captain skills useless for mid-tier cruisers?

12 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles

I've been levelling a new US captain for the line split. Plan is to use him to grind T6 and then permanently keep him on the T7 Helena.

Now normally I just blindly take DE as the 3rd skill but then I thought 2% fire chance isn't a great deal. So I looked around and... nothing else is either! Let's see:

- Basics of Survivability: cruiser fires are short and on mid tier ships without heal you usually don't let them burn anyway. So pretty useless.

- Survivability expert: 2k HP on a 30k HP ship is a ~6% buff, doesn't seem worth it.

- Torpedo Reload: no torps on US T7 but even on others I don't see any T6-7 cruiser torps being worth this skill.

- Fire take off: erm...

- BFT: maybe for the AA but most T6-7 cruisers don't have AA worth buffing.

- Superintendent: no interesting consumables at T6-7 to make this worth it.

- DE: as I said, my default choice but looks pretty weak anyway.

- Vigilance: some people swear by this but I've never used it, don't feel like I need it.

I guess I have to take SOMETHING but all the choices are so underwhelming basically everything feels like a waste of points just to unlock the 4th row. Is it just me?

Players
353 posts
2,717 battles

Vigilance may be decent if you like countering DD's, but the best way to avoid torpedoes is to dodge randomly to be unpredictable (don't wait till you see them, usually to late). BFT is alright I suppose, but this depends on how often you see CV's. Like you say, DE is probably best, and it counters the lowered fire chance if you pick IFHE later on (a must with these 6" armed US cruisers).

• Cool 1

[3STG]
Players
322 posts
9,316 battles

Well, as the Helena is not yet available, lets use the Cleveland as comparasion :

BoS - Agreed.

SE - Agreed

TR- Yup.

FTO - Yeah :D

BFT - This I disagree : US cruisers still have the best cruiser AA per tier almost in every ship. So this is and will be very effective. It (T6-7 AA) may not look like much when studied "as is" on the paper, but, when buffed, it is very very very good. Add an AFT and yes yes yes. T6 and T7's have a hard time to be exceptionally good against T8 CV's, but in their own tier there is no better. BFT + AFT + DFAA (+ the module if available) = Access denied. Those 127mm's even get the bonus from Manual AA control, but can be too much to grind and is not mandatory to have a great AA.

SI : Well, without the heal, it is debatable. DFAA / Hydro is nice. Would recommend this maybe only if you play with CV and use DFAA regularly, or you tend to hunt DDs all the time.

DE : What I understand atm that these new ones will be HE spammers, then the DE is viable, but not the best option. If one choose to go for IFHE, then DE will minimize the downside of it. I personally would choose the BFT before this one. But as you said, DE will always be there, tho.

Vi : Yes it has potential, but mostly only when you play close encounter as a DD hunter. It is also kind of those that are "nice".

• Cool 3

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles

With Cleveland I agree on the AA but Helena will basically have the same AA as Pensacola and New Orleans which isn't anything to write home about. That and CVs know to avoid US cruisers, so weirdly the deterrent effect makes investing in AA less worth it!

DFAA and Hydro are fairly situational consumables. They're very powerful of course but I don't even use the premium versions as I don't feel I need to spam them, just use them once or twice at the right time.

Guess DE it is then, may as well make those 15 guns sing :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,187 posts
3,152 battles

I always take supernintendo on any ship I have. I mean yeah, sometimes you may not need it at all, but sometimes the eytra charge may save your life. Demo expert can also be useful, as imo every little bit helps.

• Cool 1

Players
353 posts
2,717 battles
45 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

I always take supernintendo on any ship I have. I mean yeah, sometimes you may not need it at all, but sometimes the eytra charge may save your life. Demo expert can also be useful, as imo every little bit helps.

I suppose that's true, I often find I've run out of smokes in my RN cruisers, or I've got to hunt a DD without sonar. For other nations with HE though, I like being able to set more fires in less time, then dive into cover or go undetected. In something like the Myoko that is the difference between being deleted and living.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,808 posts
2,019 battles

I use Demolition Expert on virtually all my light cruisers. Easy choice as I see it.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles

For RN cruisers SI is a no brainer but as I said I've never run out of Hydro or DefAA and wished I had another and I don't even use premium consumables.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,674 posts
6,353 battles
42 minutes ago, VC381 said:

For RN cruisers SI is a no brainer but as I said I've never run out of Hydro or DefAA and wished I had another and I don't even use premium consumables.

Honestly, for the higher tier ones with the improved heal, SI is almost a waste, since you usually run out of healable HP before you run out of heals. In most games the total amount of healable HP you get is less than the total amount you can heal. It's almost to the point where the main reason to repair flooding is to get the speed back up, rather than to reduce the damage. However, that is an "almost", so you still benefit from having it.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,136 battles

But another smoke is very welcome anyway.

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
2,674 posts
6,353 battles
12 hours ago, VC381 said:

But another smoke is very welcome anyway.

That's the biggest "almost" point, yes. :Smile_Default:

Sign in to follow this