You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yaskaraxx

Speed and REAL speed (knots)

7 comments in this topic

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles

Theoretically (game mechanics) following cannot be explained by me:

both my YueYang (with speed +5% flag + speed boost) and a teammate Baltimore were racing towards a CV. All in straight line...sailing next to each other. HOW is it possible that Baltimore kept almost same distance towards my YueYang which had the far higher speed?? That Baltimore kept-up with my YueYang?!? According game mechanics this should not be possible, since Baltimore is a slow ship. So how can it be it kept-up (speed) with my fast dd?

Are there any other players who experienced same strange "speed-issue"? I would be very interested  in any constructive comment. Whats happening here??:cap_wander::cap_money::cap_wander_2:

(...I am also curious about following: are real actual speed-tests ever being performed in test-environments?)

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
6,711 posts
13,166 battles

With a speed difference of "only" 6 or so knots you'll have to wait a while before you start pulling any kind of meaningful distance.

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,208 posts
11,028 battles
Vor 34 Minuten, Yaskaraxx sagte:

since Baltimore is a slow ship

Baltimore has a speed of 32,5 knots, only 4 knots slower than Yueyang (without flag and boost).

So yes, the difference is small and it takes a while before you see a big distance between these ships.

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,044 battles

Yueyang: 36.5 knots with 5% flag and 8% boost ≈ 41.4 knots.

Baltimore: 32.5 knots with 5% flag = 34.1 knots.

Difference = 7.3 knots. In other words less than half of the speed of a Langley. Still quite a bit of difference. Were you at full speed for the entire thing?

Players
452 posts
19,196 battles
9 hours ago, Bunnytob said:

Yueyang: 36.5 knots with 5% flag and 8% boost ≈ 41.4 knots.

Baltimore: 32.5 knots with 5% flag = 34.1 knots.

Difference = 7.3 knots. In other words less than half of the speed of a Langley. Still quite a bit of difference. Were you at full speed for the entire thing?

see my comment #1: adding , carrier was hidden behind island, took some 1,5-2 mins for me to reach/round that island and try to torp it. YueYang had to make distance with teammate Baltimore otherwise Baltimore could shoot at it before I could launch torps. So, Yue + Baltimore racing straight line, and was quite a distance...so I had all the time to check the speed and distance to Baltimore during that time (had flag + boost on). So, i was realy surprised to notice that my YueYang could hardly make distance with Baltimore. Both Baltimore + YueYang rounded the island almost same time. I know Baltimore is a relative slow cruiser, so it realy surprised me. Maybe some test in test-environment would be interesting (=easiest way to check it ). Furthermore, think of this one: for destroyers it is of vital importance  to know whether any planned distance can be made (timely!) with a chasing radar-cruiser in a normal way (- based on speed differences).

(interesting, when comparing: when I experience two destroyers in battle of which one two knots faster than the other, THEN you NOTICE that in game, the speed difference, i mean. So, that's all OK. Speed differences between two cruisers: also noticeble, all convincing, all ok (meaning distance is created)).:cap_popcorn:  

[FK]
Players
78 posts
4,044 battles

Either it wasn't a Baltimore, and/or you weren't at full speed at the start while the Baltimore was. That's all I've got.

[IRQ]
Players
2,691 posts
6,353 battles

I've found that speed differences are mostly only noticeable if you're trying to run away from a ship. The higher your speed is compared to theirs, the more you can bob and weave. If you're slower, you can't run away unless they turn to fire more guns.

For plain travel time, the difference is marginal, and depends far more on starting speed and if you make any turns.