You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Yogibjoern

Could we please have another camouflage filter in port?

15 comments in this topic

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

I was wondering if it would be possible to get a filter more in port, so I can turn off visibility of all those bright coloured special camo's you'll get in loot boxes and the daily containers??

Or at least put a grey filter over them. To bright for my taste anyhow. But I like the bonuses they give.

I know you can get a mod to remove all camo's but then I would lose my premium camo's too.

Would be a nice feature to have and I am probably not the only one who want it.

• Cool 6

Players
503 posts
1,775 battles

I agree, I have tons of good camos  so I always use them, but this has the downside of my ship always looking like an escaped circus tent. You want the gameplay benefits but it detracts from the visual style of the game imo.

This is also a problem for certain special camos like the beercan camo for Roma which looks stupid but many would use anyway for the bonuses. You can turn them off but then you can't equip them. Pretty sure it was a CC that talked about it but I'm not 100% on who it was.

Forcing you to sail with an ugly camo for behind the scenes, not impacting the game, economical benefits in the game is stupid imo.

• Cool 5

Players
289 posts
812 battles

id rather have it so that they are premeanant since i like some of the camo's

not sure why people over-exaggerate camo's that are brightly coloured, clown-camo etc.

better than crappy boring drab greens, browns, blues and greys most camo's are associated with.

Players
82 posts
5,238 battles

If I recall correctly, the question came up in a recent Q&A with SubOctavian, and the answer was "We're not planning to implement a filter, just use a mod".

There are mods that only change some camouflages and leave the premium camos intact. If you just want the event camouflages toned down, the ChilledSpecialCamos by Smeggo might be worth a look. Also, there are several other mods *hint hint*, so you can choose the ones that you like best.

• Cool 2

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,585 posts
6,651 battles
54 minutes ago, TheKingOfUm said:

If I recall correctly, the question came up in a recent Q&A with SubOctavian, and the answer was "We're not planning to implement a filter, just use a mod".

There are mods that only change some camouflages and leave the premium camos intact. If you just want the event camouflages toned down, the ChilledSpecialCamos by Smeggo might be worth a look. Also, there are several other mods *hint hint*, so you can choose the ones that you like best.

I use this.  Takes care of most problems .  Sometimes though  it lags behind the release of new special camos and I end up stuck with this.  I mean who thought this was a good idea?

GYrjSHP.jpg

[HMSR]
Players
1,626 posts
5,834 battles
12 hours ago, CleverViking said:

This is also a problem for certain special camos like the beercan camo for Roma which looks stupid but many would use anyway for the bonuses. 

Only saw one Roma with the water heater, it looks soo silly lol, just loool, i like cooky/goofy ships but that one is just facepalm :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
949 posts
5,087 battles

This so much. 

Bonuses are nice but my eyes bleed when I see all those brightly colored warships.

Filter that would leave only the Premium camo and the regular ones would be great.

• Cool 1

Players
503 posts
1,775 battles
3 hours ago, TheKingOfUm said:

Yeah, I guess but that also comes down to personal taste if you like the camos that the modder makes. Had a little look in the subforum and there wasn't really anything for Victory day salute or valentines that caught my fancy (I like your Frosty Fir Tree though but sadly I don't have any of those.)  That's the downside of not being a modder yourself I guess, you're stuck hoping someone wants to mod the exact thing you want. *shrug*

I'd honestly be fine with just having the option to have Type 1, 2 or 5 camo looks over special camos, that way I get to keep kinda normal looking ships but still have my economical benefits.

[UNICS]
[UNICS]
Players
5,244 posts
7,935 battles

Bonuses like +xp and credits etc should be separate from camos. The game should offer the ability to pick from two pools of appearances and bonuses.

But that's beside the point. Yes, there should be a filter option for any camo pattern.

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles
6 hours ago, BrigadierRosen said:

not sure why people over-exaggerate camo's that are brightly coloured, clown-camo etc.

better than crappy boring drab greens, browns, blues and greys most camo's are associated with.

Have you ever seen a real warship painted in those bright colours?? If the answer is no then you have your answer why some of us thinks they look like clown camo or circus vehicles. Bright colours don't belong on warships period!!

IMHO they ruin the immersion and don't honour the real ships or the crews which fought and died on them in anyway. I see those ships represented in game as a tribute to the real ship. Maybe I'm just a old fashion guy.

• Cool 2

[NED]
Players
1,564 posts
5,760 battles
8 hours ago, BrigadierRosen said:

Player choice with a proper toggle those who want it like you can keep using them and those who don't (seemingly everyone else in this thread) have the choice to toggle them off.

I am glad to see this request gaining more traction especially now that more and more circuses are losing their tents. (i like that one going to steal it)

• Cool 1

Players
379 posts

Getting that sort of filter would save me some work editing camouflage.xml and copying back my folder of textures each time the game updates. I liked the Chilled Special Camos, but single colour was either a bit plain or still rather bright, depending on what colours were set for that camouflage in camouflage.xml.

That mod did show me the principle though so I extracted the camouflages with the unpacker and chose my three favourite patterns which I then copied repeatedly into a .../content/gameplay/common/camouflage/textures folder with the names of those I wanted to replace. Which still left things a little bright so I also extracted camouflage.xml and decided (again) what my three favourite colour combinations were, copied those into another text file, and then copy-pasted the colour values back into camouflage.xml over each entry I wanted to replace.

Sometimes this works better than others; it depends on how the camouflage has been applied to a ship and how well that suits the pattern you’ve replaced it with. Some are simple patterns intended to be repeated a lot and some are more complex intended to be repeated fewer times, and a simple pattern repeated only a few times or a complex one repeated a lot might not work as well.

17 hours ago, Yogibjoern said:

...Or at least put a grey filter over them. To bright for my taste anyhow. But I like the bonuses they give...

Just editing camouflage.xml could have the same effect as a grey filter. You’d still have the same patterns as you’d not have overridden the textures, but those patterns would be in the colours you prefer. I’ve tended to use the Scharnhorst (grey and black), Conqueror (blue and grey), and Fiji (blue, green, and grey) as my three. And obviously it’s a matter of personal taste, BrigadierRosen would disagree, but I think some of the camouflages look nicer with the more muted colours, even if I haven’t replaced the texture file. Quite like the Victory Day one with one of these instead and the Chinese New Year ones looked less like a carpet.

4 hours ago, CleverViking said:

I'd honestly be fine with just having the option to have Type 1, 2 or 5 camo looks over special camos, that way I get to keep kinda normal looking ships but still have my economical benefits.

Those texture files are Dazzle_tile_camo_01.dds, Dazzle_tile_camo_02.dds, and Dazzle_tile_camo_05.dds. So you’d have copies of those in the mod folder with the same names as the ones starting “Dazzle” or “Ship_dazzle” to override the other textures. Not sure what entry/entries those are in camouflage.xml as I take the sledgehammer approach of replacing everything aside from the ones that say “unique”.

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
471 posts
2,248 battles

I don't want to open up the Pandora's box of modding. Been there tried it on another game, result was me doing a lot of work for myself and others and less playing time. It became more like a full time work, creating historically accurate skins before I pulled the plug on that game for good. Don't want this to happen here too. I'm done modding.

Beta Tester
449 posts
3,049 battles

I second this. 

Would be nice to have a built in option to filter out the Micky mouse Camos. 

Its a tad distracting to see bright red / green etc ships when a lot of the ships etc are actually really well detailed kind of spoils the vibe a tad. 

I notice this mostly when iv had a good blast on Atlantic fleet and then come back to warships. After a while I just accept it but initially it’s like “ oh god what’s this bs paint job” 

should be a simple job to add a “historical / at least actually camouflaging “ skins only. 

And yes without “cheats ...cough I mean mods” please 

modding in a competitive games is a whole other bucket of pain that shouldn’t be allowed but let’s not go into that again 

Simple tick box addition please WG, no harm in not doing it 

• Cool 1