You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BChiller

Promoting TEAM play.

35 comments in this topic

[ADRIA]
Players
17 posts
3,957 battles

Greetings fellow captains,

Let me just get right to the point and sory if this has been suggested before.

Team play doesn't get rewarded in this game. There are several post about this in the forum. Dropping a smoke for a teammate, herding with torps, ... Some  importand things can't be measured in the game ,like damage, and are not really rewarded because of it.

What if you let people who noticed it do that for the game. 

We could use the carma system for it. For example you can say he ''plays well''(or make a new one like ''TEAM player'') and this gives a small XP buff of 10 basexp to that player.

Ofc something against abuse would need to be in place. People in each others friendslist, clan, division  can't give it. 

What do you guys think?

Sry for the bad english, B.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
3,599 posts
7,459 battles

yes, has been suggested before, but it's still not a bad idea. Some (mild) anti-exploitation precautions wouldn't hurt, as you say, and it should also not give any significant amount of extra rewards, but just a little something...

I'm not sure tying it to base XP (or direct match rewards overall) is a good idea though - for example, that could mess with certain mission requirements, and plenty of compliments are not given out until the battle is over anyway. But there's probably other ways of doing it... we can let the WG guys figure out the details, that's their job after all :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
88 posts
4,106 battles

Sorry but many ppl are too much sellfish and bad that even if you promote teamplay that will not change anything.

I had my worst WoWs week these past day, it is the only time i have the feeling i should find a clan to  don' t have to worry about other players.

Really having BB still hanging back in a game where their is no DD and CV, lemming train ... 

I have so much example of bad behaviours that everytime i launch a random battle i can be sure i will be amazed by some superior IQ plays

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles

Ill just leave this one here for WG.

25xy29.jpg.fb2b177884057c935733fd28495ce946.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Funny 5

[-HUN-]
Players
648 posts
7,834 battles
53 minutes ago, MortenTardo said:

Sad but true.

[FDUSH]
Players
1,044 posts
6,190 battles

Imagine all the rage if you do everything for help teammates and these wouldn't give you any compliments.

Nevertheless teamplay DO gets rewarded. I believe it has a direct impact on your winrate. Say... Someone with average damage but high win rate means it does alot of things for the team. Specially if it's a player with mostly plays alone (not in divisions)

Players
869 posts
7,699 battles
On 4/1/2018 at 2:27 PM, Tyrendian89 said:

I'm not sure tying it to base XP (or direct match rewards overall) is a good idea though - for example, that could mess with certain mission requirements, and plenty of compliments are not given out until the battle is over anyway. But there's probably other ways of doing it...

... like tying it to the final amount of XP / credits earned, like every other bonus.

And I do think it should be more than a purely symbolic amount. It should be in the region you get awarded for a kill, so it can really add up.

(Even though last night I did come first in a game in Minekaze by a single point ahead of our Atlanta... turns out a few pot shots from its sucky lil guns really made a difference that time ;-)))

But I digress. Anyway: The upshot is, once again, if you want a certain behaviour, you need to reinforce it. As in education. And everybody involved needs to be able to see and recognize the reward immediately.

Therefore, any team mate rewards (or even enemy rewards) need to be prominently displayed, possibly on the "Personal results" screen. Or, if you wanted to give the players a minimal amount of time to consider the detailed results - which I'm not sure would be a good idea -  you'd need an extra Final Bonus screen.

Also, you could use a similar mechanism for negative reinforcement, giving players the chance to take some XP / Credits away from team mates they think played poorly. Like campers. As I said before and in other places, it's not the enemy team that has an issue with that type of behaviour, it's their own team. Which is why attempts to change this behaviour by giving the enemy team the supposed means to punish them is flawed from the outset.

On 4/1/2018 at 4:26 PM, Sargento_YO said:

Imagine all the rage if you do everything for help teammates and these wouldn't give you any compliments.

Wouldn't be any greater rage than you have now, because team play currently is not rewarded.

With a team mate bonus system, at least some of the rage would be re-directed in a productive manner.

We would also see increased populism and self-promotion in chat though. Fast typers and witty writers of one-liners might benefit disproportionally.

But you can't know if you don't try.

[ADRIA]
Players
17 posts
3,957 battles
2 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Also, you could use a similar mechanism for negative reinforcement, giving players the chance to take some XP / Credits away from team mates they think played poorly. Like campers. As I said before and in other places, it's not the enemy team that has an issue with that type of behaviour, it's their own team. Which is why attempts to change this behaviour by giving the enemy team the supposed means to punish them is flawed from the outset.

While I fully agree with the rest of what you said, I wouldn't implement this. Because some people who aqtually did there job will still get negative reports from other people who think they didn't, just because it wasn't to there liking. Getting negative reports for doing nothing wrong is not fun. 

I had someone [edited] to me because I kited away in my des moines from 2 Hindens, 1 GK and a Z52 who were hard pushing... ended up killing them together with a henri IV at the edge of the map. And while we just finished them of. He died on the other side of the map and looked at the mini map to see us there.. I wouldn't have liked it that someone who was oblivious to the situation reported me there. 

2 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

You get nothing now for teamplay anyway and it would just be a small bonus. Just so the player(s) can show there appreciation of your teamplay. 

Players
2,182 posts
13,957 battles
6 hours ago, BChiller said:

Team play doesn't get rewarded in this game. 

What do you guys think?

Team play does get rewarded.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
19 minutes ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

Team play does get rewarded.

Don't. 

[ADRIA]
Players
17 posts
3,957 battles
4 hours ago, Humorpalanta said:
5 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

Sad but true.

you can get gae rewards from teammates by capping and spotting 2... it depends on the player giving it.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
14 minutes ago, BChiller said:

you can get gae rewards from teammates by capping and spotting 2... it depends on the player giving it.

But its NOTHING compared to dmg farming. When i play DD's for teamplay i usually end up at the middle of the leaderboard on the winning team with a loss in credits.

If i however play like an Ahole and dmg farm all game, and don't care about winning or losing i earn loads of credits and top the scoreboard.

Yes, you get some rewards for capping. And a tiny, tiny chunk XP for spotting, but its nothing compared to dmg farming.

So why would "casual" players then play the objective when doing the wrong thing gives much greater rewards? 

Thats the problem. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4

Players
869 posts
7,699 battles
Vor 3 Stunden, BChiller sagte:

who aqtually did there job will still get negative reports from other people who think they didn't, just because it wasn't to there liking. Getting negative reports for doing nothing wrong is not fun.

You always risk abuse whenever you give players actual means of reinforcement, negative or positive. There will always be trolls. I'd still prefer it over the status quo because it would be a step to empower and emancipate the players. Over time, the benefits would hopefully outweigh the occasional abuse.

Of course you can't solve social problems by means of technology. It would be easy enough though to implement something like a little notification that at least drew your attention to the fact if you kept "voting against the mainstream" or something.

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,578 battles
10 hours ago, MortenTardo said:

My girl  would smash me so hard If I was this guy... i would be spotting permanently..... and capping.... yeh ... life sucks.

[HMSR]
Players
1,645 posts
5,871 battles
2 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

My girl  would smash me so hard If I was this guy... i would be spotting permanently..... and capping.... yeh ... life sucks.

Yor lucky, you'd only get smashed, mine would out right burry me alive, or tie a anchor around my neck and throw me overboard.... im so lucky :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
1,388 posts
9,578 battles

And yet they troll all the time about "woman rights"... to me it looks like  I must protest for "man rights".....:Smile_sad:

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
482 posts
8,561 battles
11 hours ago, BChiller said:

We could use the carma system for it. For example you can say he ''plays well''(or make a new one like ''TEAM player'') and this gives a small XP buff of 10 basexp to that player.

Please do not use the karma system for it. It can be abused. People are more likely to moan than compliment anyway. It should be replaced with a whinge-o-meter. I'm glad WoT doesn't have it, and I'd be happy to see it gone so it doesn't upset me. Yes, I lost two karma points today for making a couple of bad decisions. In neither case did I finish in the bottom half of the xp table. I'll probably play CV to relieve myself of any positive karma so that I can be balanced again. (And people wonder why few people play CV)

I think spotting damage ribbons, torpedo spotting ribbons, damage tanking ribbons and xp is a better way to go. Such in game notifications remind people that they are doing something useful to the team.

Players
2,182 posts
13,957 battles
9 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

...The upshot is, once again, if you want a certain behaviour, you need to reinforce it. As in education. And everybody involved needs to be able to see and recognize the reward immediately...

Sit at max range behind an island in a Germany battleships and you will out live virtually everyone on your team.  Everyone will see it too and recognize the rewards of camping in a BB.

Players
869 posts
7,699 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Culiacan_Mexico sagte:

Sit at max range behind an island in a Germany battleships and you will out live virtually everyone on your team.  Everyone will see it too and recognize the rewards of camping in a BB.

Yeah I'd like so see somebody do that and just even get a good game result. Not likely, given the main gun dispersion, especially on most German BBs.

Watch the respective recent Jingles and Flamu videos to catch up with the state o discussion. They illustrate very well what constitues a genuine, effective reinforcement tool and what does not. Basically all of the current tools or mechanismus focus mainly on kills and damage done, while the rewards for good team play are fewer, less conscpicuous for the team mates that benefit from it, and generally more disconnected from the game situation they occur in. There are fewer of them and they are less effective.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles
9 hours ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

While battleship trying to tank damage worth of Dreadnought and Fireproof has trouble getting those, because of often eventually getting sinked thanks to no support.

And Balless Boating certainly isn't limited German BBs.

In Scharnhorst matches have had for example Richelieu basically sitting in spawn north of C cap hotspot domination.

(while on A cap side for example Pensacola headed for map border instead of even trying to help capping destroyer)

Yesterday saw Iowa sailing in rear far behind everyone in Islands of Ice while firing HE and likely barely hitting anything. (30k avg damage)

12 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

You always risk abuse whenever you give players actual means of reinforcement, negative or positive.

Hence game itself should do better job at making sure those who sabotage team effort don't get away with anykind hallucination of having done their part!

Positive reinforcement hardly matters if there's no negative consequencies for those spawn sitting BBs, border humpers etc.

Heck, yesterday had Farragut pretty much going around the map in Shards...

Fortunately team's carrier player in IJN CV was decently competent and caused troubles for enemy DDs during most of the match by flying planes over important map areas. (of course getting compliment from me)

While enemy carrier player in USN CV was dumb enough to sit in spawn getting spotted by that Farragut...

Players
282 posts
8,027 battles

Personally I would like to see a change that i am sure not many would agree with. I would like the winning team to be rewarded 50% more XP than they already are (at least) and the losing team to get 0 XP (or maybe minus XP).  I know it is a modern trend to reward losers (thus not promoting a winning mentality) but this is the kind of thing that this kind of approach causes.

I would also like the game to take into account where the ships were in terms of the battlefield throughout the battle. Those who stay at range, go around caps and give nothing to their teams to be punished and those who contest and play the objectives to be rewarded much more. Sounds pretty extreme I know, but big problems often require extreme solutions. I know that this isn't a perfect solution but surely it would be better than what is happening right now.

[EST]
[EST]
Players
696 posts
17,414 battles
19 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

Imagine all the rage if you do everything for help teammates and they have no idea how to use that help.

That's a real rage.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,337 posts
12,570 battles
12 hours ago, Culiacan_Mexico said:

In my opinion, if you team play in a DD your win rate improves.

It does. But who cares about WR in this game anymore? Game is turning into RNG sim for casuals anyways. Which is fine btw, but tryhards like myself are playing less and less since skill is not rewarded. :Smile_smile:

Players
2,182 posts
13,957 battles
10 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Yeah I'd like so see somebody do that and just even get a good game result.

Good is relative.  Some play with the intention of not getting sunk... or at least not getting sunk fast.

Is there a better ship type to play than BBs or play style of camping at max range to accomplish that goal?

• Cool 1