Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

Destroyers in Defence of Naval Station Newport

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,814 posts
2,033 battles

Hello!

I have played this week's operation, the Defence of Naval Station Newport, a couple of times these past few days. And I have started to perceive a new trend, in that more and more destroyers are appearing in the teams.

Now, one reason why I'm rather fond of the scenario battles, is that they have given cruisers a much-needed place in the sun. With the possible exception of that operation where you're trying to assist an airlift from a Japanese island base, cruisers are - by far - the most efficient ship class for completing operations. Battleships can be of good use as well, although a team with a majority of battleships will generally do worse than a team with a majority of cruisers.

But a team with a majority of destroyers? Don't go there, soldier. It's not a pretty picture.

For the longest time, I refrained from playing any destroyer at all in any operation. But then I read a few posts on this forum, which stated that a destroyer could do well in operations under certain circumstances. I tried it, and yes, it can work - but I would like to amend the statement: One destroyer can do well in operations, under certain circumstances.

Two or three destroyers? Not so much.

Some weeks ago I had a game in Defence of Naval Station Newport, where I played in the Anshan. The rest of the team was composed mainly of Clevelands and one aircraft carrier. So, yeah, it was a five-star win and an easy one at that. You could argue that this team would have won without my destroyer, and you'd be right. But by spotting, kiting and setting fires, in combination with a well-timed endgame torpedo-rush that sent an enemy battleship to the bottom with extreme prejudice, I managed to pull up a rather impressive score on the post-battle result screen. All in all, a very fun game.

When I tried for a repeat performance yesterday, I found myself in the company of two other destroyers, two times in a row. In other words, I had two games where roughly half the team was composed of destroyers. Almost needless to say, both battles ended in catastrophic losses. Irrespective of individual player skill, such a team simply has nowhere near the fire power that is needed to complete this operation with any greater level of success.

I hesitate to argue for an outright DD cap mechanic - but I do feel that the composition of the team is rather vital to the game experience. Two battles is obviously nowhere near enough to draw any conclusions from, and so I thought I'd put the question up on the forum: Have destroyers become a more common choice in Scenario Battles? If so, how has this impacted on the game experience?

Happy Easter to you all!

:Smile_honoring:

[SINT]
Players
269 posts
12,679 battles

Ahad the same experience last 2 days... Some 3 dd’ games...either loss or 1 star max win. Even had 1 dd managed to get himself killed in the first attack....

DD lack range, staying power and there torps are less usefull since bots evade the moment your fish go out.

No reason to take your dd to a scenario. Nothing that a cruiser cannot do better. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,160 posts
9,958 battles

Anshan to farm citadels on Aegis.

Farragut to smoke up allies and provide Def AA if needed

Players
164 posts
19,135 battles
On ‎31‎-‎03‎-‎2018 at 9:51 AM, Procrastes said:

Hello!

I have played this week's operation, the Defence of Naval Station Newport, a couple of times these past few days. And I have started to perceive a new trend, in that more and more destroyers are appearing in the teams.

Now, one reason why I'm rather fond of the scenario battles, is that they have given cruisers a much-needed place in the sun. With the possible exception of that operation where you're trying to assist an airlift from a Japanese island base, cruisers are - by far - the most efficient ship class for completing operations. Battleships can be of good use as well, although a team with a majority of battleships will generally do worse than a team with a majority of cruisers.

But a team with a majority of destroyers? Don't go there, soldier. It's not a pretty picture.

For the longest time, I refrained from playing any destroyer at all in any operation. But then I read a few posts on this forum, which stated that a destroyer could do well in operations under certain circumstances. I tried it, and yes, it can work - but I would like to amend the statement: One destroyer can do well in operations, under certain circumstances.

Two or three destroyers? Not so much.

Some weeks ago I had a game in Defence of Naval Station Newport, where I played in the Anshan. The rest of the team was composed mainly of Clevelands and one aircraft carrier. So, yeah, it was a five-star win and an easy one at that. You could argue that this team would have won without my destroyer, and you'd be right. But by spotting, kiting and setting fires, in combination with a well-timed endgame torpedo-rush that sent an enemy battleship to the bottom with extreme prejudice, I managed to pull up a rather impressive score on the post-battle result screen. All in all, a very fun game.

When I tried for a repeat performance yesterday, I found myself in the company of two other destroyers, two times in a row. In other words, I had two games where roughly half the team was composed of destroyers. Almost needless to say, both battles ended in catastrophic losses. Irrespective of individual player skill, such a team simply has nowhere near the fire power that is needed to complete this operation with any greater level of success.

I hesitate to argue for an outright DD cap mechanic - but I do feel that the composition of the team is rather vital to the game experience. Two battles is obviously nowhere near enough to draw any conclusions from, and so I thought I'd put the question up on the forum: Have destroyers become a more common choice in Scenario Battles? If so, how has this impacted on the game experience?

Happy Easter to you all!

:Smile_honoring:

I have been in this operation with 3 DDs twice with 5 Stars. I was fuming mad when the games started . this ended quickly when i saw 

those ships perform. Torpedo soup all over the place

Players
3,455 posts
7,229 battles

Had a game today where I was the only cruiser sandwiched between 3 DD and 3 BB that ended in a 5* win, so they can work.

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles

Destroyers work on most operations. The problem however is that DD's lack the damage output often required for operations, and proper presence around objectives. Ships spawn everywhere and often close ish so spotting can be done by most ships. Cruisers have DPM to have a shooting gallery, and BB guns are more reliable than torps.

So DD's don't really offer anything that all the other classes don't have, and the advantage a DD might bring is often not that big to warrant a DD.

That beeing said like above posters have said, they can still work and be effective. Just don't have more than one.

[ALONE]
Players
1,295 posts
10,316 battles

Gunboat DD do fine. In T7 operations especially. Ganja murders stuff better than anything else.

But in scenario like Newport defense when I see 3DD I say bye-bye to my 5 stars. Especially IJN DD are spotted by planes and gunned down easily by bot DD and cruisers. 

There should be a limit - max 2 DD, max 1 IJN if someone really insists...

Players
560 posts

For some reason DD's struggle to stay alive in Newport.

Far too often they perish to the first two and a half waves.

And the bots are passably good at dodging spotted torps whilst being hopeless at dodging or angling vs Cleveland HE and AP spam.

Sign in to follow this