Sign in to follow this  
VC381

Mogami rudder shift module

10 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

So I don't watch Flamu religiously so maybe I missed something, but I watched his Mogami video today:

I was really intrigued to discover he stacks rudder shift modules instead of taking concealment in the last slot. Not that I disagree, I use the super rudder shift module A LOT, although weirdly the IJN line is the one set of cruisers where I DO go max concealment. Anyway I always assumed super pro players thought that module was either useless or a noob trap, and that maximising concealment at all costs was the thing to do according to super unicum types.  Refreshing to find Flamu uses a dodge build :Smile_great: anyone else experienced this? Might go and change mine now!

[SCRUB]
Sailing Hamster
3,191 posts
3,153 battles

I don't know, man, I wouldn't stack a dodge build on a Mogami. 

I don't ever go for dodge builds, mind, as for me stealth is a key tactical element which allows me to easier disengage. 

An issue of mine is that if two of the same ships meet, one with a stealth build and one with a dodge build, the stealth build one is going to outspot the dodge build one and thus will have the advantage of being able to pick the ideal position for an opening salvo for example, which may turn out to be crucial.

On Mogami? Wouldn't really. Concealment is 2nd or 3rd best in class at tier, exploiting that to the max for me is a nobrainer. True, the ship isn't very well armoured, but people can usually not shoot what they cannot see, and I can go unspotted more easily with the stealth build. I can then reposition and reengage from a more favourable position (or just reengage when they switch to something else).  

I would try a dodge + range build on Ibuki, as that ship is just utterly terrible in every aspect for me. Maximising range would maximise reaction window and maximising dodge would minimise reaction time.

If I could mount rangemod on Mogami, then maybe I would try a dodge build, but as it stands now I'm perfectly happy with the mix of rudder 2 and stealth. 

There is an argument to be made however towards dodge builds after the removal of stealth fire, especially for dpm classes like light cruisers, in that with the need to constantly fire one is mostly going to be spotted anyway, and then a dodge build is going to be very useful in turning away from under the incoming return fire. 

I hwever have always found rudder 2 to be good enough for my dodging needs, perhaps because I try to open engagements in the least vulnerable position anyway, from which making an evasive maneuver is going to be easier. 

When return fire becomes too heavy, it doesn't matter how nimble the ship is, the sheer volume of fire is going to force the player to stealth up and in that case I want the extra concealment. 

Hope this  wasn't too rambly... 

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

Yeah, that's exactly the arguments I would have expected Flamu to make, especially seeing as how good he is at positioning and using cover, and yet he's said and done the opposite. I'm more in agreement with your last paragraph, Mogami with the CL setup has great DPS and it seems a waste to skulk around and drop to stealth all the time when you could be pumping out those 15 shells. With 8" Mog or Atago I would absolutely support the full stealth build BUT that's only because the reload is so long that it makes breaks in firing less painful and the alpha so high that a few good shots from a better position can make a difference. I did actually run a dodge build on Takao as an experiment and that failed quite badly (although I also didn't have PT, so that may have skewed results). You're almost never in a situation where you're 1v1 against the same ship. Outspotting at all costs makes sense on a DD when other people are bringing the DPS on your target, but not a cruiser where you ARE that DPS. Anyway I don't have the credits to spare to play with this at the moment, but food for thought. As I said I run a dodge build on basically every cruiser that ISN'T IJN, and that works very well for me.

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,796 battles

I did bad in Mogami when I ground her - using the stealth build - just recently bought her back, using the dodge build and slowly clawing my performances upwards (from a low start!) 6" guns both times - I love the Atago and it was a mystery to me why I did so badly in Mogami, but it is down to nimbleness, IMO, the Atago has both stealth and nippyness already, so doesn't need the additional rudder shift, but the Mogami does seem to come alive with it (and is fairly stealthy already).

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

That's an interesting assessment @philjd, since on paper Atago is less agile than Mogami (1s worse rudder shift, 40m worse turning circle).

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,556 posts
4,796 battles
1 hour ago, VC381 said:

That's an interesting assessment @philjd, since on paper Atago is less agile than Mogami (1s worse rudder shift, 40m worse turning circle).

Well, maybe it's something, by default longer range firing by me, the Atago makes it feel like more nimble not sure? But the rudder shift version is better for me (or maybe I have LTP'd a bit since ;) )

Players
3,267 posts
6,857 battles

If I remember correctly Takao class turns well, as long as you keep speed high. Usual trick of cutting throttle (or whatever its called on ships) to 3/4 or half to tighten turn doesn't seem to work on them. Personally I run both Takao and Mogami with Propulsion mod2 and Concealment, but I do see benefits of double rudder mods in Charles Martel - that thing with Engine Boost on is hilarious.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

OK so I tried this and it felt very good, very smooth. Could keep the guns firing on auto cycle and dodge, stealth felt good enough. Also I discovered another reason why this has good synergy with Mogami. Turret angles on the 155s are pretty crap, but with basically instant rudder it's much quicker and easier (and way safer!) to unmask guns > fire > angle back. I think I'm keeping the setup!

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Players
2,835 posts
4,154 battles

Mogami rudder shift 155s (no IFHE):

shot-18.04.06_21.12.54-0045.jpg

shot-18.04.06_21.12.55-0139.jpg

shot-18.04.06_21.12.58-0426.jpg

shot-18.04.06_21.13.00-0221.jpg

• Cool 2

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
1,278 posts
4,998 battles

Yeah Mogami with 155, IFHE and Rudder module is the way to go:

5b25a0622a.jpg

03976e7208.jpg

af9f4e985b.jpg

Even without IFHE I would still argue that the 155 is the way to go. The DPM and firechance is still higher without it and you wreck DD's like no other.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this